Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Any info on this company?

I've been doing a bit of research before I embark on my first big DIY project. I was looking at the Acoustic Visions website at some of their kits, and one struck my eye. It's a LCR speaker that has a layout very similar to my Cambridge Soundworks center. It looks to be a brand new kit, but there is a review by the kit developer. It sounds like an incredible speaker, with a +/-1db responce from 200hz to 20khz.

http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~aco.../kit_lcr.shtml

I don't know anything about this company, so if anyone has ever used this brand please let me know.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Never heard of Exodus Audio, (cool name though)...But the review is Dan Wiggins, owner and designer of Adire Audio (who makes the Extremis woofer in the design)...He doesn't just shill anything. Both the woofer and mid use Adire's patented XBL^2 technology which is pretty highly regarded.

Adire makes the Rava subwoofer you may have heard of (Woochifer has one). This seem like a legit speaker, but perhaps a little pricey. The specs look killer.

That Usher tweet is a real favorite...I have a design I built last year that I'm thinking of dropping that into...it's a $100 upgrade for the pair and would really outmatch the design, but it should improve things quite a bit. We'll see.

Look like you've stumbled across an interesting design.

Acoustic Visions is predominantly a DIY reseller, and they are Adire Audio's biggest retail partner (at least for home applications). Now that Adire is transitioning away from direct sales and more towards dealer distribution, Acoustic Visions is well positioned to take over as Adire's primary distributor. Adire has recently announced a major expansion to their product lineup, and the Exodus kits were one of the first products that have been released as part of that product launch (I don't know if Exodus is just a rebranding of Adire, but the specs for that the LCR kit come directly from Adire's website).

http://www.adireaudio.com/Home/KITLCR.htm

Aside from selling DIY parts, Acoustic Visions also sells and manufactures its own enclosures and speaker kits. Most recently, they've begun marketing a new lineup of prefinished subwoofers (first product being the $450 MRS-10, which measured very well in hometheaterhifi's recent review). They've produced more customized designs, which they will build to order -- their Everest sub is a dual 15" monstrosity that's garnered a lot of attention. As far as I can tell, they are a very legit company. Kyle Richardson, the owner of that company, posts on several audio forums and is very knowledgeable, helpful, and courteous in his responses.

The LCR speaker that you speak of has been discussed quite a bit on Adire's website. Dan Wiggins, the CEO of Adire Audio, is one of the most understated company reps that I've seen on various audio forums (i.e. he's more prone to giving general advice or telling a customer to go with a lower priced product or even recommending a competing product, than about actively pushing customers to buy Adire products). Yet, he did post a message a few weeks ago indicating how blown away he was by the sound of the kit LCR speaker. The woofers and midrange drivers on this kit use Adire's XBL^2 motor design.

Here's the post in case you're interested.

http://forum.soundillusions.net/showthread.php?t=49646

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

It doesn't sound like they are kidding

For guys who sell, and put DIYspeakers together for a living this must have been something special.

The wheels are turning in my head.....
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    Yes I can vouch for Acoustic Visions as a fellow Adire Dealer. Kyle is a very nice guy I met him at CES about a year and a half ago. Real nice guy, he has good customer support. He is Adire's main home audio dealer now. I have heard some of the other kits from Adire Audio using various drivers including that 4" and the extremis, they are pretty sweet speakers. I havent heard the LCR though but I will soon enough. That extremis sure can get low for a 6.5

Thread Information