Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    My guess is it's related to one of the dimensions of your room.
    Honestly, your measurmenets are way better than any of my rooms have been before treatment and EQ...so not bad

Did you take measurments at 1/6th ocatave frequencies?
    Usually I see BFD charts with measurements at: 16, 18, 20, 22, 25, 28, 31.5, 36, 40, 45, 50, 56, 63, 71, 80, 85, 90,100 etc...

In my case, you'd be surprised how many suckouts or peaks you can find in between these even...but at some point you just gotta move on.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    My guess is it's related to one of the dimensions of your room.
    Honestly, your measurmenets are way better than any of my rooms have been before treatment and EQ...so not bad

Did you take measurments at 1/6th ocatave frequencies?
    Usually I see BFD charts with measurements at: 16, 18, 20, 22, 25, 28, 31.5, 36, 40, 45, 50, 56, 63, 71, 80, 85, 90,100 etc...

In my case, you'd be surprised how many suckouts or peaks you can find in between these even...but at some point you just gotta move on.
    Yeah, I figure it's the room too. It's a very noticable peak.
    My Rives disc only produces the frequencies on my graph. What are you using to get all those 1/6th ocatave frequencies?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Oh, over at the HTShack, the BFD guide has a link to test frequencies you can download...don't have the link handy but Googling BFD guide should suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Oh, over at the HTShack, the BFD guide has a link to test frequencies you can download...don't have the link handy but Googling BFD guide should suffice.
    Download? Uht oh. You mean to a CD or something? I have no laptop to speak of. Could the PS/3 download it you think? Or would an Ipod work?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Download? Uht oh. You mean to a CD or something? I have no laptop to speak of. Could the PS/3 download it you think? Or would an Ipod work?
    Hmmm, I think they are just mp3's so the PS3 should work fine.

Thanks!

I'll give it a try this weekend.
    Just ordered a BFD from a friend on another sight. $60 shipped. He said he bought two but ended up changing his system and only needing one.

There's a tone generator with WinISD. Would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    There's a tone generator with WinISD. Would that work?
    Thanks. I'll keep exploring options.
    I just read through the whole BFD guide last night. Why do I feel so overwhelmed? Seriously, calibrate my sound card? It may turn out to be easy, but it sure is wordy.

Well? Have u got the BFD set up yet? Did u ever get those tones downloaded?

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Well? Have u got the BFD set up yet? Did u ever get those tones downloaded?
    Hey LJ!

The BFD did come in. I set a few filters manually based on the initial results I had. In theory, it should be a pretty flat response now. When I went to check it, the Db meter was flucking up. It was giving me numbers below 50 Db for frequencies that I could clearly hear rocking the house, and then 90+ db readings for frequencies that were more subdued. I ran the tests several times and got different answers every time. It does sound good though. At this point I can only hope that it is at least close to flat. Eventually I’ll buy a new meter, but not at this time. Baby’s gotta eat.

When I run the test tones, I can hear/feel tones down to 10 hz. It seems to reach very low. As it goes through the tones, volumes increase until it hits 16 hz, and then it seems to slowly drop off a little at each tone. When I get a new meter (or if someone comes over with theirs) I’ll post new numbers.

Here was the last result before the BFD. I ran this test several times and got the same numbers +/- 1/2 db.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-chart-sm-7-16-10.jpg  

Wow, pretty easy start. Looks like a few filters were plenty.

Well if your Titanic starts collecting dust (cough cough) I would be willing to accept donations

Wow, pretty easy start. Looks like a few filters were plenty.

Well if your Titanic starts collecting dust (cough cough) I would be willing to accept donations
    Thanks.

I ended up with 5 filters. None of them are more than +3db or -5db. It sounds right, but it's only guesswork until I can get a new meter.

I noticed that the BFD can have two filtered outputs at a time. The Titanic might end up behind the sectional with settings all it's own. A little extra bass never hurt anyone.

(that i know of)

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Thanks.

I ended up with 5 filters. None of them are more than +3db or -5db. It sounds right, but it's only guesswork until I can get a new meter.

I noticed that the BFD can have two filtered outputs at a time. The Titanic might end up behind the sectional with settings all it's own. A little extra bass never hurt anyone.

(that i know of)
    Wish I had room for 2 subs

Wish I had room for 2 subs
    It was all part of my master plan. 5 years ago, when we were looking through floor plans for our house, I picked out the one that gave us a huge living room. The closets and bathrooms are a little small, but the living room and master bedroom are nice.

I love it when a plan comes together.

ISCET CET, FCC CTT, USITT Dual-500's Avatar
    Absolutely cool! Be sure and post objective performance results. Nothing like a good, one of a kind audio project.

I run a single 18" sub in my system for now. Will morhp into a 4x18" in the next year or two. After running 18's there is no going back.

Beautiful wood work too. You have the skilled hands of a craftsman.

I'd be inclined to use some filler in it - experiment with that in real use. The mass of air within it will have resonance as a Vas only. Reflected energy should be nulled out by the shape.

Filler could actually enhance the lower extreme performance in this setup.

ISCET CET, FCC CTT, USITT Dual-500's Avatar
    Interesting chart from the BFD. How does it work? Does it sweep a single tone or a more complex waveform like pink noise?

Tuning from a pure feedback point condition has it's limitations in a dynamic environment. That being mentioned, for theatre it could be a good way to go. What about the rest of the system? Any electronically assisted tuning there?

Not criticizing - just wanting to open up some discussion on the equipment and how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW
    Interesting chart from the BFD. How does it work? Does it sweep a single tone or a more complex waveform like pink noise?

Tuning from a pure feedback point condition has it's limitations in a dynamic environment. That being mentioned, for theatre it could be a good way to go. What about the rest of the system? Any electronically assisted tuning there?

Not criticizing - just wanting to open up some discussion on the equipment and how it works.
    Thanks. It was a h.ll of a project. I still have a smashed fingernail to prove it.

The BFD software I found can do a sweep, but I don’t have a laptop to run it in the HT room. I burned a CD of test tones ranging from 10 Hz to 143 and used a Db meter.

The rest of the system is as follows:

Yamaha RX-V2500 AVR (Auto set-up ran, but EQ re-set to flat)
    Onix Strata Mini for the mains. (Planner hybrids with built in subwoofers: The subs are set at less than half power with crossovers set to 100)
    Infinity Primus center, surrounds and rears.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    This thread is awesomely surreal. I tried to give you Greenies but was denied.

I love the absolute commitment and attention to detail...on the egg!. Every additional post in this thread makes me happy. Thanks for sharing GM!
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information