Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Wicked. That thing would creep me out in my HT..I'd expect some giant spider monster to crawl out or something. Well done, GM!
    Or maybe something like......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dinosaur_eggs.jpg  
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by paulspencer
    Nice work GM! Came out better than I expected based on the drawings. I think it's way better smooth and the texture finish makes sense.

Regarding the connections, my preference is to diy the cable to the exact length required and use the connectors that you prefer - RCA on one end, XLR on the other. It's a neater solution than using adaptors. I have a pile of adaptors which are good for temporary hook ups, but when I finally choose where things will be, I make up a cable.
    Thanks. I bought this one. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
    I went with the 3 foot instead of 1.5 foot so I'll have room to slide the amp out if needed.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Great job GM! Dinosaur egg huh....well I guess your first demo movie should be Jurassic Park

Cute kid BTW

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Great job GM! Dinosaur egg huh....well I guess your first demo movie should be Jurassic Park

Cute kid BTW
    Thanks.

You mean this little munchkin?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Has anyone seen Google's background for today? Eggs eggs eggs.....

Well, this project has suffered another setback (or two). Nothing too bad, but it still delays the final rollout. (No pun intended)
    After the paint dried, I had to roll it onto its side to paint the legs black. I didn’t want to scratch up my new paint job on the cement garage floor, so I decided to use the carpet scraps left over from when our house was built. The wife has them in front of the downstairs entrance for people to wipe their feet on. As I laid them down, I thought that she might get upset if I got black paint on them, so I flipped them over. After all, who would notice black paint on the underside of a scrap carpet? Too bad that it turns out that the underside of it has a very coarse nylon mesh. Paint job ruined! Start over….
    I never did really find the color I wanted in a store. I had mixed two colors together to finally find something I liked. Mixing them together to find that same color a second time proved difficult. What I ended up with was slightly lighter and a little on the pink side of brown/red. But it was OK and I pushed on.
    Last night, that paint was dry enough for the clear coat to go on. Wifey loved the look of the clear coat with the gold sparklies in it last time, so I went that way again. This time though, the sparklies didn’t go on even. Must have been because of me reusing the same paint roller as last time. So now, I’ll have to repaint again. Shoot me now SHOOT ME NOW!

On the bright side, the amp showed up. It’s a beast! It’s about half the size of my AVR but weighs about the same. Can’t wait to hear this thing, but wait is what I’ll do. Gotta stop at Lowes on the way home to pick up more red Mahogany and gold sparklies. (oh, and another roller)

Thanks for the update keep it up!

Painted it again last night & took pics. The pics were loaded into Picasa but for some reason that folder doesn't show up here at work. I'll have to check to see if I didn't save it or something when I get home.
    It looks pink now, but it looked pink the last two times as well. Once the paint dried it was more of a brownish red. Hoping for the same result this time.
    Still not sure how I'm going to get this monster up the stairs. Been looking into renting one of those stair climbing dollies but haven't found one that suites my needs online.

The paint dried. Last night I slapped on a layer of clear coat. Here is what it looks like. Once this dries it’s time to drag this bad boy up the steps. Once upstairs I’ll wire it up and add the driver. The last step will be adding black speaker cloth and it will be done.
    Sure hope it ends up being worth all this effort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-finished-painting.jpg  

A couple more pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-fin.jpg   -egg-fin2.jpg  

One with a view of the terminal holes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-back.jpg  

Saturday morning I wrapped that rascal. First the cloth that my Onix Mini's came wrapped in. Then some plastic insulation that I use for the A/C units in the winter. Then the bubble wrap that the amp came in. Laid out the straps and I was ready to go. In the end, I ended up tying it to the hand cart and dragging it up the stairs. My back and legs are still killing me, but up the stairs it went.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-pack.jpg  

There was some damage though. Good thing it's on the back where no one will ever see it. There was no way I was repainting.

After getting it into the living room I needed to add the driver. I shouldn't have made the tolerances so tight. After struggling to get the driver to line up for several minutes it finally dropped in. Too bad my fingers were still in the way. Didn't slow it's 50 pounds down one bit though. I'm sure that nail will grow back eventually.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-damage.jpg  

It's quite a bit bigger than my Dayton 15" sub. Funny that it's called the Titanic. It seems so tiny now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-size.jpg  

It looks good in it's final resting place. It's not a perfect match to the Mini's but I did the best I could. So far it's not calibrated but I can tell that there are subsonics that weren't there before. I demoed Transformers 2. I could feel shaking that wasn't there before. It seemed to lack a little of the upper punch that the Titanic had, but that could be due to the lack of calibration. It certainly is more reserved for music but hits harder down low. Next weekend I'll pull out the Db meter and a test CD to see if I need a BFD. Still haven't decided if I want to put the Titanic to work behind the couch or not. We'll see.
    For now, I'm very happy with how it's turned out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-home.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    It looks good in it's final resting place. It's not a perfect match to the Mini's but I did the best I could. So far it's not calibrated but I can tell that there are subsonics that weren't there before. I demoed Transformers 2. I could feel shaking that wasn't there before. It seemed to lack a little of the upper punch that the Titanic had, but that could be due to the lack of calibration. It certainly is more reserved for music but hits harder down low. Next weekend I'll pull out the Db meter and a test CD to see if I need a BFD. Still haven't decided if I want to put the Titanic to work behind the couch or not. We'll see.
    For now, I'm very happy with how it's turned out.
    I should think so, GM. It's all looking good.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Smarty pants!

Any ideas or commrnts? (jokes not withstanding)
    I think you gotta paint Mork from Ork on the side...

Ooops, I meant "nice design" GM!
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

After all that work I sure hope it lives up to your expectations. Are you going to equalize it? Sealed subs tend to have an early roll off which means boosting the lower frequencies (usually 30Hz and under) to achieve a flat low end is almost a given necessity. With that surface area and the power behind on tap you should have plenty of headroom to allow for EQ.
    Now, you need to play 'Bass, I love you' - Bassotronics (heavy sub 20Hz content). Actually a very enjoyable song to listen to, and with flex your woof like no other. I can send it to you via email. SVSubwoofers have selection of films in their FAQ that contain serious bass also.
    If this doesn't get you in trouble with your neighbours, nothing else will:-)

Thank Feanor. It sure was a ton of work. I can finally start working on the yard.....

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I think you gotta paint Mork from Ork on the side...

Ooops, I meant "nice design" GM!
    Nanoo nanoo...

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    After all that work I sure hope it lives up to your expectations. Are you going to equalize it? Sealed subs tend to have an early roll off which means boosting the lower frequencies (usually 30Hz and under) to achieve a flat low end is almost a given necessity. With that surface area and the power behind on tap you should have plenty of headroom to allow for EQ.
    Now, you need to play 'Bass, I love you' - Bassotronics (heavy sub 20Hz content). Actually a very enjoyable song to listen to, and with flex your woof like no other. I can send it to you via email. SVSubwoofers have selection of films in their FAQ that contain serious bass also.
    If this doesn't get you in trouble with your neighbours, nothing else will:-)
    Thanks.

I'm thinking of a BFD. A friend told me that he has an "extra one" whatever that means.

My nearest neighbour is through the woods. I don't think he can hear anything I do.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Well done, GM! Any noticeable differences in sound from the Titanic other than output and extension?

Well done, GM! Any noticeable differences in sound from the Titanic other than output and extension?
    Thanks Kex,

Yes, I have noticed a difference right away. It has much lower extension than the Titanic had. It's not calibrated yet so it's hard to know what the overall sound will be when I'm done. Here is what I measured last night. It wasn't so easy to get these numbers. Ever try to explain to a 10 month old that she needs to be quiet while Daddy plays with his Db meter?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-chart-small.jpg  

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Ever try to explain to a 10 month old that she needs to be quiet while Daddy plays with his Db meter?
    Is that what you call it? Really, you shouldn't be subjecting her to your adult extra-curricular activities.

Is that what you call it? Really, you shouldn't be subjecting her to your adult extra-curricular activities.
    So much for my dad of the year award.

How do you like that spike at 31.5 htz?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information