Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    GMichael I am impressed.
    That's what they all tell me.
    Very nice work.
    Thanks. It sure was a lot of work. If I had to pay me my hourly rate, I wouldn't have been able to afford me. Good thing I work for me for free.
    Just don't ask me to repeat that. I think I tied my fingers in a knot.

Wow you can do other things with your hands,
    Whatsyoumeanbythatwillis?

I mean besides holding your beautiful daughter.
    Good save. Points for bringing up the baby. Always makes me smile.

I am anxious to read your report on how it sounds.
    That may be a while. That last coat of paint is taking forever to dry. And it still needs several coats of clear-coat before it's ready for wiring.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I think you have created Modern Art for the Chicago Art Institute.
    I did save a few of those crescent moon looking pieces. A layer of clear-coat and they may look nice nailed to my deck.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Finally it's taking shape.
    Notice on this pic that it doesn't look like it will fit through the door? That's no optical delusion. It really doesn't fit. It's going to have to go out the garage door, up the desk steps, and in through the kitchen.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    That's what they all tell me.

Good save. Points for bringing up the baby. Always makes me smile.

Obviously not rep points I just checked.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Obviously not rep points I just checked.
    Sorry,

My gun is still jammed.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JohnMichael again."

That's great work GM!,

Congrats , let me just say that your egg happens to work inspirational

btw, how long did it take you to sand it down?

(do I get rep point now too?)

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    That's freakin' awesome GM! Just freakin's awesome. Any idea of how many hours you've put in?

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    That's great work GM!,

Congrats , let me just say that your egg happens to work inspirational

btw, how long did it take you to sand it down?

(do I get rep point now too?)

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Thanks.
    Huh?
    It took the better part of a day to sand it down the first time. I used a belt sander and used up 2 - 40 grit, 3 - 80 grit and 2 - 120 grit belts. Now it just gets hit with 220 between coats.

I'll see if my gun can point your way.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    That's freakin' awesome GM! Just freakin's awesome. Any idea of how many hours you've put in?
    Thanks.
    I'm not sure of the exact number, but I did take off all of last week, and the friday before, to work on it. Averaged at least 10hr/day up till last saturday (then paint & wait, sand, paint & wait ect..) So as a guess I'd say about 80 hours. My back is killing me.
    I calculated the weight based on a sheet of MDF = 96 pounds.
    96 pounds / (49" x 97" x 0.75") = 0.38lb/sq".
    Took the diameter of each ring x 2" x 0.75 " and added them all up and it came to 135 pounds. That doesn't count all the rings that are over 4" thick instead of 2" or the bracing (or glue, nails, screws, or paint). This thing must be over 150 pounds before the driver goes in. It's a beast to work with. Can't wait to try to get it up the stairs.

Sorry,

My gun is still jammed.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JohnMichael again."
    I've been spreading the love all morning, but still no luck. Sorry?

Holy Moly that's what I call dedication! The problem with me is that I become so anxious to hear the end result that I end up rushing the whole project and never getting the finishing done, lol.
    BTW, how did you get all those cuts done? Do have the machine?
    Good luck with moving it, and don't destroy your back!
    Last edited by audio amateur; 05-20-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Holy Moly that's what I call dedication! The problem with me is that I become so anxious to hear the end result that I end uping rushing the whole project and never get the finishing done, lol.
    BTW, did you get all those cuts done? Do have the machine?
    Good luck with moving it, and don't destroy your back!
    Thanks!
    I still have the MKIII 15", so I don't mind waiting.
    The cuts were done by a jigsaw. They took about a day and a half to finish.
    Don't cha want to come help with the move?

Thanks!
    I still have the MKIII 15", so I don't mind waiting.
    The cuts were done by a jigsaw. They took about a day and a half to finish.
    Don't cha want to come help with the move?
    No doubt, it probably helps to have a good sub in the mean time.
    I forgot to write 'how' at the beggining of one of my sentences. So... you really jigsawed all that? How did you get such smooth circles? Sanding?
    I've had a couple subwoofer projects myself and making the cutouts with the jig was the worst part, and that was making a regular box which doesn't require many holes. An egg though
    I figure you've done the major part now so that's awesome and now you can look forward to moving it Sorry I'm not there to help...

No doubt, it probably helps to have a good sub in the mean time.
    I forgot to write 'how' at the beggining of one of my sentences. So... you really jigsawed all that? How did you get such smooth circles? Sanding?
    I've had a couple subwoofer projects myself and making the cutouts with the jig was the worst part, and that was making a regular box which doesn't require many holes. An egg though
    I figure you've done the major part now so that's awesome and now you can look forward to moving it Sorry I'm not there to help...
    I made up a compas to draw the circles and cut them freehand. With the right jigsaw, blades, and settings, it's not that hard. I tried using a router & circle attachment at first but it wasn't as easy as I had hoped. Ended up destroying the first ring and had to re-cut it.
    The sanding was the worst part. Even with a belt sander it was a ton or work. The top wasn't so bad but once I turned it on it's side to sand the lower section, it kept trying to roll away while I was working on it. In all honesty, I don't think I did that great of a job on the lower area as I got tried of the BS and pronounced it done before it was finished the way I'd like.
    I'm thinking of using moving straps to help get it up the stairs. I'll thrown a blanket over it first. Hope it doesn't end up crushing me.

I made up a compas to draw the circles and cut them freehand. With the right jigsaw, blades, and settings, it's not that hard. I tried using a router & circle attachment at first but it wasn't as easy as I had hoped. Ended up destroying the first ring and had to re-cut it.
    The sanding was the worst part. Even with a belt sander it was a ton or work. The top wasn't so bad but once I turned it on it's side to sand the lower section, it kept trying to roll away while I was working on it. In all honesty, I don't think I did that great of a job on the lower area as I got tried of the BS and pronounced it done before it was finished the way I'd like.
    I'm thinking of using moving straps to help get it up the stairs. I'll thrown a blanket over it first. Hope it doesn't end up crushing me.
    Yeah, must have been a heck of a job!
    Definitely try and get some male help on the day you move it. If that thing rolls down some stairs it will definitely leave a path of destruction.

Yeah, must have been a heck of a job!
    Definitely try and get some male help on the day you move it. If that thing rolls down some stairs it will definitely leave a path of destruction.
    I'm just hoping that it doesn't destroy me. If it gets loose and comes down on me I'll be crushed like a grape.

Hence the need for male help

I am ordering the EP4000 to power this puppy. It has XLR and/or 1/4 inch TRS input connectors. Obviously I'll need an adaptor to get from my LFE RCA to one of these inputs. Is one any better than the other? XLR vs 1/4 inch TRS?

Is this the one I should be looking for? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=240-438

Or is it better to go this way? http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Hence the need for male help

or a few stout lesbians
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

or a few stout lesbians
    I do know a few who could help. They live too far away though. Although, if I called, they would come. Seems like abuse of power to me though. I'm sure I can find someone local to help me. It's not a bridge until I get there?

Progress is at least being made.

After trying just about every red stain known to man, I gave up and went to paint. Stain was nice in that it let me keep the rings, but it also kept all the patchiness that comes with staining the edges of MDF.
    We still had trouble finding a paint color we liked. 3 times we picked out a color to have it end up looking nothing like the sample at the store. Eventually we found this textured color & paint. It is still not perfect and the spottiness is still there in the picture, but it’s hard to see in person. Besides, it’s the imperfections that make it a work of art. (That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it)
    It does look kind of cool with all the gold sprinkles in the clear coat though. The picture doesn't do it justice. Once this dries, I’ll paint the base & legs black. Should come out nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-painted.jpg  

Just bought a set of these Forearm Lifting Straps to help me get my monster egg up the stairs. (but I got them cheaper than this site)

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...Lifting-Straps

Got them here http://www.suntekstore.com/Forearm-F...een-on-TV.html

Forum Regular
    Nice work GM! Came out better than I expected based on the drawings. I think it's way better smooth and the texture finish makes sense.

Regarding the connections, my preference is to diy the cable to the exact length required and use the connectors that you prefer - RCA on one end, XLR on the other. It's a neater solution than using adaptors. I have a pile of adaptors which are good for temporary hook ups, but when I finally choose where things will be, I make up a cable.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Wicked. That thing would creep me out in my HT..I'd expect some giant spider monster to crawl out or something. Well done, GM!

Ordered the EP4000 today. B&H Photo is having a sale. For $320 I get to buy a new one with a full warranty from a company I know & trust. Free freight, no tax.
    I did find these as low as $299, but after adding frieght it was almost the same from companies only offering a 15 day return.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information