Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar

Vintage and Rosy: The Ariston RD 11S

I told myself I wouldn't write anything so soon after hooking up my new table. Frankly, my head is in the clouds. I just want to listen and not have to think too much, let alone describe everything I am hearing.

I have made a sizable jump with this upgrade. As a main deck, I was using a highly modded Pioneer PL-516. It was a good workhorse, and did a fine job. But now that I am listening to the Ariston, I realise the Pioneer is a vain attempt at analog.

The best analogy I can think of, is that someone has opened up a tap from a small drip, to a gushing stream. My gear has never sounded so good. I am feeling quite proud of my selections now, the synergy is off the chain. I am experiencing the type of sound I used to envy in other's systems, which is an exciting proposition.

Mr. Peabody, if you're reading this, you are right. The source is everything, I agree with you fully now.

Overall, the immediacy of my system has virtually doubled. This stems from detail and seperation which excels beyond what I previously had. On that note, the front running players are front and center, with a larger sense of depth behind them. Far more space around everyone for that matter. My Missions are shining at what they do best, imaging.

Aside from the technical ecstacy. I would say the next biggest plus has to be the gorgeous tone. Yes, rosy and warm as everyone knows this table to be. I also think my Golden Tube is combining to help things. Now when I say warm, don't be fooled. I am talking about thick sounding notes. Piano, guitar, sax...it doesn't matter. They all sound full, and this lends to a sense of realism that is worlds beyond.

The PL-41 arm tracks wonderfully. It's much lighter than I have experienced. It's tricky to balance, I must get a digital force guage. I would like to put a ProJect Carbon 9cc on it. My favorite combo is the Linn LP12 and the 9cc.

Right now I am listening to a South American group from the Andes. Beautiful mid tempo guitar and pan flutes. The flute players are so breathy, and it's all wonderfully audible and realistic sounding.

Anyhow, I could go on forever. I feel like I have had my head in the sand. That said, I also feel like I have arrived to a level that's beyond just respectable. I think I have compiled a system that is well rounded and complete. There's plenty here for both SS and tube fans to enjoy.

I'm happy for you. Welcome to the land of "rubber band" drive. Thats what a friend called my VPI when he first laid eyes on it. He was using a DD Kenwood and actually laughed at my HW-19 Jr. He started spouting specs and told me the better wow and flutter and speed deviation figures made his DD Kenwood better.

I then played some vinyl. He stopped laughing. He now has a Music Hall MMF 5.1.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Thanks Joe. Yes, we both visit AK enough to know the "specs crowd" are a funny one.

Pops I am glad you are having fun...nothing like it.

Here is a scale and calibration weight for you to consider. They cost very little. I got a tip from JRA and they have worked out fine for me. I set my tracking according to the book by MH but once I got the digital scale and weight I had no idea that I was off by a lots. So check them out if you don't have another in mind.

American Weigh 600g x 0.1 Digital Gram Coin Pocket Scale Mini Accurate Gold

50-Gram Chrome Scale Calibration Weight

I paid less the $12 dollars for both but I think they have gone up about $2 dollars since I last ordered mine July 16.

You can find them both at Amazon.com

I'll raise my glass in honor of your new excitement tonight.

Cheers.
    Last edited by frenchmon; 08-13-2010 at 01:02 PM.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Pops is it posible to take a picture from the top if its not to much trouble? And can you add your own interconnects to the table? And what other mods are you planing on doing besides a better arm? Are you going to do any motor cleaning?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

What Cart are you now using o the Ariston?

I am using an unknown Audio technica cart, it came with the table. It's model number isn't visible when installed. Sounds friggin amazing however. I will be mounting my Blue POint soon.

As for mods, the seller already damped the plinth. The interior was well maintained, no corrossion, etc. Yes, I will put better cabling on it. Vampire Wire and Cardas plugs. I want to put a Carbon 9cc arm on it as well.

You'll have to wait for your photo friend, I am busy with the kids tonight.

You'll have to wait for your photo friend, I am busy with the kids tonight.
    I understand family time all to well....but I am sneaking out tonight. Going to see MrP's new toys and let him take a listen to the Mordaunt Short Avanti 902i stand mount speakers.

This is what audio is all about. You are seriously the man, Chubbs.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Thanks Joe. Yes, we both visit AK enough to know the "specs crowd" are a funny one.
    You ain't kiddin
    Vincent SA-31 / SP-331
    Pioneer PL-50 (Modded) / Phono Box SE II
    Thorens TD 318 / NAD PP2
    Denon DCM-380
    ADS L500
    NHT MA-1A / SW2P

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Very nice table I must say. I will be anxious to read about the progression through tweaks and cartridges.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I, for one, do not think belt drive is inferior to DD turntables. But don't we all have enough experience and knowledge to know by now that tonearms have huge impact on how analog setup sounds.....?

Congrats again on your TT, Poppa. Just to be clear, I'm not stating that your Ariston came with a bad tonearm.
    I just think dissing on DD TTs make you guys sound foolish. Then again, we(including myself) all think the gear we currently own is the greatest thing on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I, for one, do not think belt drive is inferior to DD turntables. But don't we all have enough experience and knowledge to know by now that tonearms have huge impact on how analog setup sounds.....?

Congrats again on your TT, Poppa. Just to be clear, I'm not stating that your Ariston came with a bad tonearm.
    I just think dissing on DD TTs make you guys sound foolish. Then again, we(including myself) all think the gear we currently own is the greatest thing on earth.
    I don't think they're "dissing on DD TTs". They're dissing on the people who are dissing on belt-drive TTs because of the wow and flutter specs. Go look around at AK and you'll see it.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I don't think they're "dissing on DD TTs". They're dissing on the people who are dissing on belt-drive TTs because of the wow and flutter specs. Go look around at AK and you'll see it.
    Thanks, I'll send you a PM.

He's right J. I own a Technics SL Q2 which I will probably never sell. I just hate people who think that specs actually determine the end result when infact it's ears that do.

The best analogy I can think of, is that someone has opened up a tap from a small drip, to a gushing stream. My gear has never sounded so good. I am feeling quite proud of my selections now, the synergy is off the chain. I am experiencing the type of sound I used to envy in other's systems, which is an exciting proposition.
    Congratulations. Naturally, I may be a bit biased because I bought mine new in 1976 replacing a Technics SL-110. It is a close cousin of the Linn Sondek LP-12 both having been originally designed by Hamish Robertson using many of the same parts. There is a pic of mine with a SME in the gallery.

To get the optimum performance, however, you are going to need to fine tune the suspension. From the pictures, it doesn't appear to be balanced. You must perfectly balance first the turntable itself, then the platter assembly which can take some trial and error. If you don't already have a bubble level, I recommend you do so with this table. You will also want to replace the power cord which is an easy task. The two leads are attached to a mounting block via set screws. Using a larger gauge shielded cable will drop the noise level further.

Unless you want to later spend some serious money, the Ariston should last you a very long time. In the thirty some years I've had mine, I've lubricated the motor a number of times and replaced the unusual square profile belt once. Windex and baby powder work to clean and improve the traction. Replacements can be readily found here.

Good luck!

rw

Thanks Ralph. I'll get on the balancing pronto...

The seller just bought a brand new belt from LPGear, the proper square type. It was still packaged when he gave it to me.

I have a really nice AR cable, but it's rather long. Will this matter or play into anything negative?

Thanks Ralph. I'll get on the balancing pronto...

The seller just bought a brand new belt from LPGear, the proper square type. It was still packaged when he gave it to me.

I have a really nice AR cable, but it's rather long. Will this matter or play into anything negative?
    How long is the cable?

PC, it's the capacitance of the cable that matters. It effects the high frequency roll off. Most MC carts a much less sensitive to capacitive loading.

Shure used to include the recommended capacitive loading for their carts as part of the specs.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Some of the high-output MC cartridges designed for 47k Ohm are exceptions to the general tendency for MC cartridges to be for practical purposes immune to capacitance changes. Sumiko's manual for the Blue Point No.2 says this:

If your receiver or pre-amp has capacitance loading capabilities, a Sumiko high output moving coil cartridge should be loaded with a value no higher than 200pf, and ideally below 100pf.

Guys, are we all talking about power cables? My AR cable is 10 feet long, 14 guage and polarized.

Guess not. I was thinking interconnects.

Pops...thanks for the knowledge of this table. As you know...one of my future purchases will be a new or another table....I've been doing a lots of reading about it....its now on my radar as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Guess not. I was thinking interconnects.
    Me too. I hadn't thought power cable length was an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Me too. I hadn't thought power cable length was an issue.

OK! So it's not then. In all honesty, aside from leveling it, I am not in a rush to mod anything as of yet. It does infact have the original power cable on it.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Pops...thanks for the knowledge of this table. As you know...one of my future purchases will be a new or another table....I've been doing a lots of reading about it....its now on my radar as well.
    Thanks frenchie, but I've only reiterated what's already known. To say this table is a value is a gross understatement. At $300, even with the PL-41 arm I am competitive up to the $1K range. Of course, that's a hit and miss proposition, but still...competitive.

You would do a backflip if you heard this thing through your system. It's tables like this that have formed my opinions in this hobby, and have created my love for analog over digital. I can barely look at my CDP's, and my CD rack seems to be saying, "Hey Pops, over here..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information