Forum Regular

Question Turntable too slow

I've just moved (for the billionth time), and this is the first time I re-hook up my 12-year old Rega 2 turntable and find that it's running a tad too slow. I would like to know whether there's something specific that can be adjusted (i.e. a screw tightened) in order to normalize the speed on this particular model, as I'm thinking that perhaps the slowness can be attributed to it having been jostled during the 3000 mile move (it was working fine right before the move). Many thanks!

You could try...

There was a similar post a while back. I believe the Rega 2 has an AC motor which should run at the correct speed unless it's damaged. (no speed adjustment)

Don't know what else to suggest besides clean the motor pulley and the pully under the platter with alcohol. Try a new belt. Clean and lube the main bearing. If all else fails, you could try a layer or two of electrical tape on the motor pulley (higher gear ratio) as one guy suggested in the other post

Just noticed you said your move was 3000 miles. Is the power supply different where you moved to?
    Last edited by royphil345; 12-30-2004 at 11:11 AM.

Forum Regular
    Spats, is your TT designed for 60Hz AC and are you now in an area served by 50Hz AC? Another thought - what are you using to verify the rotational speed? Not all strobe commercial discs are created equal - click on this underlined thread and read royphil's followup post about this issue and a free DOS strobe disc program you can download from "enjoy the music" with which you can generate an accurate strobdisc and print it out. I have found the strobe disc supplied by Shure is reliable, and royphil says his copy of the Rotel strobe disc is, too. Both agree with the DOS program generated disc.

Forum Regular
    As a matter of fact, I just checked, and Italy is served by 50 Hz...any remedies?

Forum Regular
    I moved from the US to Italy - and bought a couple of transformers, including a 750 watt one for all my stereo equipment. The cd player, amp and phono preamp work just fine.

That's what I thought...

Gonna have to make yourself a 50Hz strobe disc. Could be that your transformers are already converting the 50Hz to 60Hz if the rest of your gear is working. Maybe just getting a bad reading using a 60Hz strobe disk with 50Hz lighting? If the speed still doesn't look right, Rega could probably set you up with whatever you need to convert the table from 60Hz to 50 Hz. I would imagine it's just a different motor pulley. Don't know much on this subject. Sorry I can't be more help.
    Last edited by royphil345; 12-31-2004 at 01:16 AM.

Forum Regular
    Many thanks, Roy and Ray, I'm going to try your suggestions!

Forum Regular
    Spats, a transformer won't help at all with the line frequency problem. Line frequency is set by the national grid power providers and is therefore independent of any influence from the presence of a voltage stepping transformer. The problem you're facing involves the fact that your TT's motor is an AC synchronous design that locks to the delivered frequency. (similar in principle to plug-in analog clocks) Europe adheres to a 50Hz line frequency standard. The Americas, prompted by Thomas Edison, chose 60Hz. Your only solutions are: 1> wrapping your current motor pulley with tape to "enlarge" it sufficiently to lock your TT's speed to a 50Hz strobe disc on Italian current, 2> a 50 Hz replacement motor pulley from your TT's manufacturer, 3> another TT designed and built for the power standards of Europe, or 4> an outboard adjustable quartz-locked TT power supply that allows you to alter the power frequency supplied to your current TT with a rheostat trimmer. Clearaudio's "Synchro Speed Controller" would probably fill the bill since it allows you to match line frequency with a digital display. It also prices out close to $1,000.00. A replacement motor pulley or tape-wrapping your current pulley would be your most cost effective alternatives.

Talking

The best and simplest solution is to contact Rega and buy a 50hz motor.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Forum Regular

Wink Many thanks...

Well, looks like I'll be using the ol' tape trick - I also spoke with my dad, Mr. Audiophile himself (although I couldn't call him when I first thought to contact him about this problem because of the 9 hour time difference - which is why I posted my problem on this forum), and the first thing he said was "you're in a 50 Hz area and your only realistic solution will be to wrap the motor with tape." When I asked him for details, he told me to experiment. So, should I be using insulation tape, as a previous poster has recommended? Is one tape better than another?

Electrical tape should be the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats23
    Well, looks like I'll be using the ol' tape trick - I also spoke with my dad, Mr. Audiophile himself (although I couldn't call him when I first thought to contact him about this problem because of the 9 hour time difference - which is why I posted my problem on this forum), and the first thing he said was "you're in a 50 Hz area and your only realistic solution will be to wrap the motor with tape." When I asked him for details, he told me to experiment. So, should I be using insulation tape, as a previous poster has recommended? Is one tape better than another?
    Mostly because it's thin and very flexable. Won't be as likely to wrinkle. Will conform well to the shape of the pulley. Won't be a big bump where the end of the tape is. I'd get in touch with Rega and see if they have the right pulley. Maybe they do and it doesn't cost that much.

Thread Information