Forum Regular

My receiver won't accept my turntable.

I am using the Sony STR-DE695 Av receiver for my HT and CD's. I have a turntable, a Technics SL-Q2000[quartz driven] that i would like to connect to my Sony. Only problem is that there is NO phono input.

I've been told that I can use a phono preamplifier and hook it up to the "AUX." input on my sony. will that work? I've seen preamps for as little as $25. -$30. at crutchfields and Radio shack. would they work O.K.? I also have a JVC [circa 1985] receiver R-X400. This has a phono input. Can I hook up this receiver to my Sony and use it to power my turntable? If so, how would i do that?
    Finally, which would be the best way to go? Buy a preamp, or use the JVC R-400 along with my Sony AV receiver to run my turntable?

Hope i didn't confuse you too much. Thanks in advance.

Burt

Forum Regular

Yes you can

Quote Originally Posted by burt
    I am using the Sony STR-DE695 Av receiver for my HT and CD's. I have a turntable, a Technics SL-Q2000[quartz driven] that i would like to connect to my Sony. Only problem is that there is NO phono input.

I've been told that I can use a phono preamplifier and hook it up to the "AUX." input on my sony. will that work? I've seen preamps for as little as $25. -$30. at crutchfields and Radio shack. would they work O.K.? I also have a JVC [circa 1985] receiver R-X400. This has a phono input. Can I hook up this receiver to my Sony and use it to power my turntable? If so, how would i do that?
    Finally, which would be the best way to go? Buy a preamp, or use the JVC R-400 along with my Sony AV receiver to run my turntable?

Hope i didn't confuse you too much. Thanks in advance.

Burt
    The Radio Shack and Crutchfields $25 units will work but I can't vouch for the quality of the sound. However, you can use your JVC receiver. Plug the turntable into the phono inputs of the JVC receiver and switch that receiver to phono. The JVC receiver must be powered up to work but you don't need to connect any loudspeakers to it. Connect the tape outputs of the jvc receiver to the aux inputs on the sony and set the sony selector to Aux. That's all there is to it. Whenever you connect a turntable for the first time, be sure to set the volume low so that if there is a hum, you won't damage your speakers. Sometimes this is causeb by improperly grounding or not grounding the turntable to the (JVC) receiver.

BTW, if the JVC has jumpers between the preamp output and the power amp input, you can disconnect the jumpers and use the preamp output of the JVC if you like instead of the tape outputs. The advantage is that all of the JVC controls and functions will work through the Sony as well including the volume and tone controls.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for your help. One question. How do i find out if my JVC has jumpers between the preamp output and power amp input? If it does, is it something i can do myself without blowing myself up?

thanks again,
    burt

The Collector
    also check out www.phonopreamps.com they are low priced but very well built. he is a local dealer from my area but will ship anywhere. a very knowledgable guy too. also you can find some really nice gear occasionally on his site and he might have even more if you email him and ask what he is selling

I can vouch for the TC-750 at www.phonopreamps.com

I had the exact same unit from somewhere else. VERY good sound for twice the price. Thanks for the link pelly3s!!! The Technics vertical turntable he's selling is priced right. Would've grabbed it up already if I had room for any more stuff!!!

Thread Information