Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Pro-Ject TT

i was told by Sumiko on the phone that theirs a new line of TT coming out in June or early July and i should wait until then

But the store was the ones that told me about the same batch
    thing but i think they are pulling my leg and only to delay more

I too was thinking the "bad batch" story might be a stall tactic. Of course, who knows what the truth is. Maybe they're ALL a bad batch.

Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    I've just finished setting up my replacement TT and guess what -- I still hear hum but not quite as loud as from the TT I returned. Still, it is clearly audible with the HiFiNews test record at normal listening volume. I've tried loosening the motor mounting screws (not yet all the way) but there is no real change.

So then, how much hum is too much? Any suggestions as to what might fix this? Think I should remove the screws entirely?

Thanks. Allan

Thanks
    looks like a great TT but $3,000 Dollars i don't have if i did i would buy this TT

i am sure by now that you have removed the screws entirely as i have said a few pages back in this thread that is what the dealer/store did when i brought my TT

At that time i didn't know anything i figured the Dealer new how to set the TT up because they sell TT all day long and i buy one every 10 years My B&O was a great TT back in the day but i could not find parts to fix it i did take it to the repair shop first because i had two Cartridges MMC5 one i used for older LP and saved the other one for new LP

Anyways
    Back to story i have sent E-mails to the needle Doc and to a lot of other dealers they have not heard of any new Line coming out from Pro-ject

Quote Originally Posted by allanc View Post
    I've just finished setting up my replacement TT and guess what -- I still hear hum but not quite as loud as from the TT I returned. Still, it is clearly audible with the HiFiNews test record at normal listening volume. I've tried loosening the motor mounting screws (not yet all the way) but there is no real change.

So then, how much hum is too much? Any suggestions as to what might fix this? Think I should remove the screws entirely?

Thanks. Allan
    For me i have put the screws back in with the rubber gourmets also and it did help a lot
    Can you touch the tone arm with the TT running (plater turning )and feel the vibration coming from it? i sure could and can still today
    i have a new motor they sent me still i just may have someone put it in for me the Dealer told me they would do it but i am not sure if i trust them any more and they all know me at the store by my first name i have been going their for over 20 years and have brought many things their i was the first one to buy the 2 new NAD amps 2600 and the 7600 bridged together witch has 3 K of power LoL a lot of power.
    i still have them but now use the ones from NAD the silver series S-100 witch are 250 watts/channel i have two of them one for each channel set up as mono

because of the SDA speakers and they need a common ground

Does the noise change if you back out the screws that hold the suspension ring?

i will try that and report back as soon as i can

Quote Originally Posted by bob r View Post

Anyways
    Back to story i have sent E-mails to the needle Doc and to a lot of other dealers they have not heard of any new Line coming out from Pro-ject
    All I know is whats new releases at Henley designs.

Henley Designs

Sumiko may be able to get them for you...as they are the US distributor. Call them up, you never know.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Up-date
    My NAD Preamp is now in the repair shop after taking it there and a phone call from them saying that the phono Stag was fried

I had the optional plug-in MC/MM module installed when i brought it new some years ago it coverts one of the S100 line inputs into a high Quality phono input

I am not saying it was all the fault of the TT but i do feel as it may have been

I knew something was not right but when i called to Store to tell them that i was getting a lot of static while turning up the volume by touching the knob they blamed it on my carpet so i started using the remote but then when i had used the mute button on the remote i would here a loud POP sound all of the above would not take place when using my CD player (just saying) i know how my stereo supposed to sound

My question is would this be because of the the phono module being set up wrong as for the 2M red MM/MC seting?

3db
    Forum Regular
    When i was on the phone with Sumiko he told me that if i buy the next upgraded TT from Pro Ject i will be disappointed because they are coming out with a bran new line in June or July for right around $800 and i should wait

and this is why i am not sure of what i should do because if i knew for sure that another TT would not do the same thing i would buy it today

Thank you for Replying

has anyone heard of a new TT coming out by project in June or July at right around $800 dollars ? as per Jammie from Somiko has told me on the phone
    I have a ProJect Xpression III which listed last year as $799. It replaces my Xpression II which I lost in a flood. Both of these tables were very quiet with absolutely no hum or vibration. The III is an improvement over the II being even quieter.

if it Hum"s you have the bad batch IMHO

Bob - How is your turntable doing?

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob View Post
    Bob - How is your turntable doing?
    Thank you O2audio for asking it's a long story and i am not good at posting on forums but i will try

After putting the rubber things back under the motor mount and the screws the Hum did get a lot better

but then i was having issues with one channel (left channel) as i have said i have the polk audio SDA flag ships with two NAD
    S200 Amp's witch i have set up as some would say Bi-Amp but it's really Vertical Bi-Amp
    i am not sure if some would know the difference But i am sure you do and many others here as i also do

each one of my NAD Amp's run each speaker in another words one Amp runs the highs and the lows of each speaker as you can see in my avatar Picture those are the ones i have they are large with a total of 26 drivers 8 Mid's and 4 tweeters and one Pass in each speakers

before i moved to a new home i marked each wire with tags and took Pictures and video because i wanted to make sure things went back together the same way when hooking it back up

because when hooking them back up it does seam wrong when you have to take the left channel of your Amp and the right channel of the same Amp going to the left speaker

the speaker with 4 post in each two for the mid-range (+pos and - neg) and two for the highs and the left channel highs where not working at all when i would play my records (LP)so right away i thought i had something hooked up wrong but when i was playing CD every thing worked or sounded just great but i would play LP it wouldn't

i went back to the store many times and got no help at all one day the guy at the store when i called said bring it in and we can give you a new TT so i boxed it up put it in the car and then he called me back and said his boss told him not to give me a new TT

they would only say it had to be my Preamp so i sent it back to NAD to have it worked on( $278 dollars) i was OK with that because on some other forums people would say that things do good bad on older stuff so i thought that would be good to have it done even if i had to paid to have it all cleaned up

well i got it back from NAD and they told me that the phono Module was bad and they fixed it with this Pre-Amp you have to buy a separate dedicated Phono Module i was happy i had it done and when i got it back i hocked it back up and thought it was going to be fixed well it didn't fix anything so i called NAD and they said i could buy a new phono preamp from Por-Ject ($200) and hook it up to one of the Aux of the preamp so i did that and still it was the same thing as before no highs on the left channel at all (dead) no sound so then i brought a new stylus ($100) and if you can guess it was still the same no highs
    so one day i called the store and told them again and the guy from the store came over to my house the main guy the (Manager) i stared off by playing my Cd's the first CD i played was the Dire Straits CD Brothers in Arms in witch we all know has a lot of highs for sure as it is a Full Digital Recording CD he tells me he couldn't here any highs coming from any of the speakers and that all my tweeters where blown (Yup he said it)

it was me being blown away of what he had said so then i put on a Maynard Ferguson CD ( Storm) and we know it's a lot of horns playing in that CD as well he told me the same thing it was my speaker you must keep in mine that this guy runs a well known audio store and had been their for 15 years or longer

So then i unhooked both bottoms of each speaker only having the highs playing so then he could here when i played CD you could here both speakers (tweeters) and then i put on a LP and guess what the left channel tweeters was out and then he said it had to be the cables i had all ready replaced them and had bran new ones at the ready he replaced them himself and guess what Waite for it

Same thing and then he began to tell me that some cables may not go into the socket all the way he says he had had that happen now and then and he would come back with his own cables at no charge for me he said Lol

I know this post may seam crazy to some here it does to me also but it's the truth every word

back to the story he came back Friday Sept, 6 with a bran new TT i left the speakers as they where and he hooked it up the TT and both speakers worked just fine i was so upset at this guy i told him not to touch any thing else and he could just leave i would do the rest and as he was getting into his car he began to tell me that i should watch my SDA speakers because he had heard a lot of bad stuff about them and many problems i told him how would you know you can't even HERE and you are the manager Lol i did say it

so the next day the first thing i did was to take off the plater and again wait for it Yup the rubber Sorbothanes Pads and screws where taken out of the motor mount and you could feel the vibration when you touch the mount of course you could

even after i had been back to the store many many times and showing them the E-mails i received from Sumiko telling me to leave them in and also asking them to show me in the Instruction book where is say's to remove them? at first i thought Oh no he took the bad TT with them in and i didn't have any in the box he came with and he was surely
    not going to come back now after i got so upset at him but then i looked harder in the box and they where their thank god i put them in as they should be and played some Lp's
    so the story is so far things our working and sounding GREAT

With the one i have one channel started dropping also but only the Highs dropped in that channel
    unbelievable i know it has to be the cartage 2Mred or maybe the wires in the tone arm?

That experience is a little strange - that's for sure. And now your turntable sounds good? And the dealer still doesn't know it is quieter with the screws in. Weird. As long as you got it set up and sounding great, all's well that ends well. It kind of shows you someone can be in the business a long time and still just plain wrong.

I agree with you about all's well that ends well part i have only played 5 LP's so far.
    And i understand this TT has a $400.00 price tag but i do feel bad that with everyone he sells this TT to they will also go thought the same things as i did 5 months of Hell.

Maybe some of all of this is my fault and maybe not the first day i brought the TT home and heard the Hum coming from it all the way in another room.

i called them and they told me to eater bring it back for a full refund or i could just keep playing and enjoying it (Lol) until they received new ones from Pro-Ject but when i called i was told by Sumiko on the phone that theirs a new line of TT coming out in June or early July and i should wait until then and i did have the Hum somewhat under control when i put the screws and the rubber things back under the motor mount
    but I'm not sure if i was having the other issue at the same time or not because i was only focused on the Hum issue at the time
    then after playing a few LP's thats when i found out the left channel speakers tweeter where not working at all i thought i must of had something hooked up wrong
    i was banging my head against the wall taking every cable out of the system and starting over i kept saying Bob this is not rocket sciences.

And Bob your CD's our sounding just fine both speakers working great

But when i went back to the store and or called they would tell me things like Bob it's the way LP's our their different then CD's (LOL) as if i didn't know i would radder here a pop or crack-pop from an LP then here a CD skip in the middle of a great song

I know that i am somewhat Bitter and upset about this TT but i feel Sumiko was very helpful talking to me and by even sending me a new Motor

so i don't blame them at all but if they had not told me about a new TT coming out soon i would have taken the TT back and went somewhere else the other store that does sell this TT is about 50 miles away i would have drove their for sure

trying to figure out Why this was happening was a mistake on my part i guess but i was caught up into finding out the Why part Lol

Thanks to all here and i do feel that everyone here has been part of this

It is the Weirdest thing i have ever known for sure do you think it was the Cartage ?

My guess is the cartridge is a low possibility. I think the cables are an even lower possibility. I would've guessed it's the electronics, maybe an amp - the channel that runs the highs on the side that is out. Having something like that happen with the turntable and not the CD could've been luck, or maybe something to do with the weaker signal of a cartridge as compared to a CD player.

Thank you again
    i did all of that i had even switch the amps and when the new TT was hooked up all was good
    but now i am going to recheck it all again? or should i just levee well enough alone ?

3db
    Forum Regular
    Glad you have it all ironed out. That ProJect dealer is a money grabbing moron to say the least. Both my ProJect tables have been running quiety from the get go.

Thank you again
    i did all of that i had even switch the amps and when the new TT was hooked up all was good
    but now i am going to recheck it all again? or should i just levee well enough alone ?
    One of the things I've learned (the hard way) is, if it works, don't fix it.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob View Post
    My guess is the cartridge is a low possibility. I think the cables are an even lower possibility. I would've guessed it's the electronics, maybe an amp - the channel that runs the highs on the side that is out. Having something like that happen with the turntable and not the CD could've been luck, or maybe something to do with the weaker signal of a cartridge as compared to a CD player.
    Thank you
    The cartridge is the only thing i didn't replace how can it not be bad?
    And the Amps where also switched out i went thought all of that i set my system up with only one amp at a time and even switched them out one at a time it took me sometime do it because i am disabled and can't walk around

I even have another system set up in my garage it is also NAD 2600 and the 7600 bridged with 5 Klipsch speakers.
    i set it up their after i brought the new system i have now and as most here know the Klipsch
    have horn's big time Lol

Great to here that i still have not called the store to ask what they found out was wrong because it would only be BS coming from them IMHO and i wouldn't believe them anyway
    But i do want to know what was wrong with it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information