Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Pro-Ject TT

Pro-Ject TT

Hi! to all here am new here lol but not new to stereo EQ i have 2 power Amp's NAD S200 with a NAD s100 pre-amp and polk SDA Flag ships with 2 M&K sub's and a new TT Pro-Ject Debut carbon Ortofon 2M Red the TT i just got 4/11/2013

So now do you still get any noise when listening? They shouldn't sell stuff they can't set up. Vibrations do cause issues, if nothing else, it effects the sound. I'm not sure how your cartridge mounts, if tiny wires check to make sure firmly in place, if it plugs in make sure the screw is in place, there should be a screw that goes in the side of the cartridge to hold it in place to the arm. If your subs are too close to where the table is it could also cause issues. You might check around online to look for Do-It-Yourself (DIY) items to help with vibration control. You might also post your issue again in the "analog" forum, there are guys here that know a lot more about turntables than me

am back to answer you i still here the Hum it is not as loud as it was after taking out the rubber grommets that no one at the store knew about even the table that was on display still had them under the motor mount
    their are two screws you take out (for shipping ) when i left the store the salesman
    took them out for me and theirs and no where in the manual does it tell you to remove them

anyways i am not to happy with the Hum from this table

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I wonder if you have hum or feedback. Feedback is when you have speakers with good bass and the bass vibrates the tonearm and cartridge and those vibrations are replayed and create a feedback loop. If it is simple hum make sure your turntables ground wire is attached to the ground on the back of your preamp. In some rare conditions you will have less hum with the wire detached.

If it is acoustic feedback moving your table on a more solid stand or further from the speakers may help.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I can relate. After using an old table I had from thethe early 90s and trying 2 old tables off ebay, I bought a new pro- ject entry-level table. That was at least 10 years ago. I had forgotten that the first one had a problem with one channel dropping out. My retailer put me in touch with someone at sumiko which was the pro-ject distributor at the time. Even though my retailer should've handled the problem, my contact at sumiko shipped me a new table and all was well. I've read that my contact at sumiko (can't remember his name) is no longer there and customer service has suffered since he left. Do a little online research, find out who the current distributor is for your country and call or shoot them an email if you can't go through a pro-ject retailer.

I have read nothing but mostly good things about the Debut TT. I am surprised that you are having problems.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Thanks to all of you for replying i am thinking the same thing but when i went back to the dealer they had the same table as i do set-up in their front sound room as you walk in the front door it's the first thing you see

and they have a pair of martian Logan's speakers and the TT in the middle the day i went back they had the same Vibration coming from the turntables tone arm as i do

And thats when we both found out that the rubber grommets under the transport were also still their and no one new about removing them

After they removed them the Vibration did get a lot less but you could still feel it when you touch the tonearm

i have tried the ground wire that was the first thing i did was to remove it to see if the Hum got louder and boy did it

Quote Originally Posted by bob r View Post
    Thanks to all of you for replying i am thinking the same thing but when i went back to the dealer they had the same table as i do set-up in their front sound room as you walk in the front door it's the first thing you see

and they have a pair of martian Logan's speakers and the TT in the middle the day i went back they had the same Vibration coming from the turntables tone arm as i do

And thats when we both found out that the rubber grommets under the transport were also still their and no one new about removing them

After they removed them the Vibration did get a lot less but you could still feel it when you touch the tonearm

i have tried the ground wire that was the first thing i did was to remove it to see if the Hum got louder and boy did it

Have you spoke with some one from Pro-Ject about the issue? I considering buying the Debut or the Rega RP1 but after hearing this and reading about issues with the RP1 tone arm ground wire and platter wobble, I think that I will pass.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    The Rega wobble I find an interesting subject. I also read about it in older Planar 2 & 3 turntables. It is often mentioned by people who are justifying their purchase of a machined subplatter. I purchased a machined subplatter not because I had any wobble but due to the slightly larger diameter to correct the slight 1% speed increase of the tables in this country.

I would not hesitate to purchase a Rega table. I think all companies have some production problems. I had a Thorens that was a rebadges ProJect and it needed repaired several times. My Rega is 16 years old and never needed repairs
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I am not putting down all Rega TT's, I am just saying that I think that I would pass on both the Pro-Ject Debut and the RP-1 after reading the problems that people have reported. I think that spending $200-300 more and buying a better table is the way to go.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

this is the E-mail i sent them

message: i have just brought the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon table on April
    12 / 2013
    and have set it up it does sounds great but their is a loud Hum and when i turn on the power switch and touch the tone arm i feel it vibrating even when the power amp is off

and this is the reply

your e-mail has been forwarded to our distributor in your area for further reply.

Best regards

Alexander LIANOS
    Export-/Salesmanager Assistance

Thank you

the salesman at the store is suggesting the RP-1 i have not done any home work on the RP-1

the Pro-Ject Debut i waited for over 3 months for it to come in only to be disappointed

i would be glad to spend another $200 $300 if the TT came with out a HUM

Quote Originally Posted by bob r View Post
    Thank you

the salesman at the store is suggesting the RP-1 i have not done any home work on the RP-1

the Pro-Ject Debut i waited for over 3 months for it to come in only to be disappointed

i would be glad to spend another $200 $300 if the TT came with out a HUM

You might want to consider some Music Hall TT's although they are made by Pro-Ject. I can tell you that Roy Hall the owner of Music Hall responds to his emails usually with in 24hrs as I have emailed him before concerning my Music Hall 25.4cdp which is very well made.

Or maybe a Rega RP3

Music Hall MMF-5.1 Turntable.

Music Hall MMF-2.2 SPECIAL

Rega RP3 Turntable
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

the Music Hall 5-1 @ $875 is a nice TT for sure and if it came with out a Hum in which am sure it does but it's two times the price of the Pro Ject which is @$400

But you are right i should of known better with the System i have i just think the salesman should of did a better job in guiding me because he knew the system i have

I have been going to that store for over 20 years and have brought all my Equipment from them but the salesmen have come and gone

my first real Speakers from them where the Polk S.D.A flagships and the NAD 7600 receiver with the NAD 2600 Amp Bridged and back then they where the most power you could get @3kilo watts of power and those Amps with the flagships where the whip.

i even worked and talked with Matthew Polk on the phone because the tweeters would blow and they would send me new one's by next day mail and i would call him back when they came in and he would tell me to turn the volume up.

but after a few times they changed the tweeters and wrapped the coil wires with sliver to handle the heat

Anyways back to the TT i did get a phone call from Sumiko and i told him the story
    as i have posted above and they offered to send me another motor i would have to put it in myself or i could take it to the store and have them do it.

So i called the store yesterday and told them they gave me the choice to eater return the TT with a full money back because they don't have any more Table's in stock or i can keep using it until they get one inn and give them the month of May

When i was on the phone with Sumiko he told me that if i buy the next upgraded TT from Pro Ject i will be disappointed because they are coming out with a bran new line in June or July for right around $800 and i should wait

Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Thank you so much for that Trip i could not believe that a TT could cost $150,000
    WOW!

Now after reading these forum's and some others i'am really lost now.
    Does anyone here think that the table maybe to close to the sub's? i would post pictures of my system if i knew how. As most can tell i am new to posting on any forum

When i was on the phone with Sumiko he told me that if i buy the next upgraded TT from Pro Ject i will be disappointed because they are coming out with a bran new line in June or July for right around $800 and i should wait

and these is why i am not sure of what i should do because if i knew for sure that another TT would not do the same thing i would buy it today

Thank you for Replying

I am thinking of just going ahead and buying another TT just to try and see if it will also Hum by putting it in the same place as the Pro ject is at

because i just don't want to move all of my equipment around nor do i want to unhook the sub's the room i have my system in is not a big room and their is no where else to set it up

i think i will call the needle Doc and tell him about this first as i have said the store has offered to let me keep and use the table until they can get a new one inn

i can't seam to enjoy even playing/spinning my LP'S because of the Hum i have tried for the last few days and after playing 1 or 2 records i just turn the hole system off i know the people here can understand how i feel most of my friends can't relate to what a nightmare it is for us that enjoy sound coming from our systems

update i did take the plater off to see if i could feel the motor mount and it also vibrates a lot
    i have also read that theirs more people finding out the same as me it's a motor problem not the sub's

here is one of the other
    You can feel the motor vibrate on the mounting board.
    Last edited by bob r; 04-28-2013 at 11:10 AM.

With regard to the screws that were removed -- they are not supposed to be removed. To remove them was the correct thing to do with the Debut III. With the Carbon, they're supposed to stay in. At least, that's per Pro-Ject's instructions.

That said, the problem obviously exists in many of these turntables, whether the screws are in or out. It's not feedback or the electrical phenomenon known as hum. It's motor vibration. These motors are the same among several models of Pro-Ject and Music Hall turntables, but cause an obvious vibration issue on only certain models. Since it's new, I'd probably return it, unless I could figure out a way to stabilize the motor.

Thanks 02audiono
    I have put the screws and the rubber things back in and that seams to help a lot i mean 99.99%

BOB r...There is a fix. Its put out by Hensley Designs over in the HK. Look him up....of course, if you plain on taking the table back...that would be the logical thing to do. How much are you will to spend on a table? I've not heard about this problem on the lower end Music Hall tables....but have heard about them on the lower end Pro-Ject tables. The higher end of Pro-Ject seems to have no such issues.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Frenchmon - Henley's fix is for the Debut III. Bob's turntable is a Carbon.

They're supposed to stay in At least, that's per project's instructions.

i do agree, No where does it say that the screws are to be removed (per the instructions)
    So then why did the salesman even remove them in the first place? I have not been back to the store nor have i called them cense they told me on the phone to hang loose.And to give them the month of May to get another turntable inn

and this is why i am not sure of what i should do because if i knew for sure that another TT would not do the same thing i would buy it today

Thank you for Replying

has anyone heard of a new TT coming out by project in June or July at right around $800 dollars ? as per Jammie from Somiko has told me on the phone

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information