• 02-09-2010, 01:22 PM
    Hairsonfire
    Help! I keep buying vinyl!!!
    It's like a sickness! Ever since I bought I turntable I am like a junkie! I walk into the record store and comb through all the records and put those I am interested in off to the side until I have checked out every single one and then of those I pick the ones I absolutely HAVE to have. I am trying not to replicate my entire CD Collection but some are just too good to pass up. In a twist of irony today I purchased Synchronicity by the Police and remembered that when I bought my very first CD Player back in 1985, Synchronicity was the very first CD that I ever bought! Arrrrrrhhhhhggggggg Some body HELP ME!!!! LOL! I love this stuff. I also picked up Dark Side of the Moon and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.
  • 02-09-2010, 01:31 PM
    poppachubby
    Are you buying new or used? I can relate. Wait til you hit that used mother load. You'll need that excitement and enthusiasm to get you through cleaning 100 LP's...
  • 02-09-2010, 01:49 PM
    harley .guy07
    yeah I was at the main music store here in joplin and the had a metric ton of vinyl and had plenty of titles I love and it make me want to hurry up and get my damn table done and start jammin. But I guess good things come to people that take their time and do it right and make the right decisions. But at least I know that I now have a good place to find good titles in the small town of Joplin
  • 02-09-2010, 04:19 PM
    02audionoob
    I was in a shop today and apparently someone with the same musical tastes as I had in the 70s had just dropped off their collection. The New Arrivals bin was filled with near-mint Nazareth, Boston, Led Zeppelin, ELO, Heart, Van Halen, Blue Oyster Cult, and the like. I was tempted to buy probably 20 of them, mostly to upgrade in condition...some of mine are worn from a poor turntable. I ultimately decided against all but two of them and headed to the jazz section. I came up with five Verve, Impulse, Mercury, Columbia and Blue Note so I was good to go. All were $2.98 each, as is typical for this particular store. A good day.

    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4016/...83755a47bd.jpg
  • 02-09-2010, 04:21 PM
    Hairsonfire
    Cleaning? You have to clean them?
    Ha ha, that's how new I am to this vinly world. I have only bought new records and have not had that experience yet. I did get some used records from Salvation Army a long time ago (years) and I must have been very lucky because they look like and sound like they have never been played. It was only about 25 or so all together, all classical and jazz, but, still, what are the odds of someone giving away totally unused records? Hey, Harley Guy, where is Joplin? Looks like the East Coast (and Rhode Island where I live) is going to get slammed with snow so I will have some time to sit and listen to some records tomorrow.

    Hey Poppa C - still trying to figure out how to post photos. I am clueless. I know you said I could upload them to my profile but I still have not figured that out!
  • 02-09-2010, 04:25 PM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I was in a shop today and apparently someone with the same musical tastes as I had in the 70s had just dropped off their collection. The New Arrivals bin was filled with near-mint Nazareth, Boston, Led Zeppelin, ELO, Heart, Van Halen, Blue Oyster Cult, and the like. I was tempted to buy probably 20 of them, mostly to upgrade in condition...some of mine are worn from a poor turntable. I ultimately decided against all but two of them and headed to the jazz section. I came up with five Verve, Impulse, Mercury, Columbia and Blue Note so I was good to go. All were $2.98 each, as is typical for this particular store. A good day.

    Ummmm...titles please!
  • 02-09-2010, 04:26 PM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Hairsonfire
    Hey Poppa C - still trying to figure out how to post photos. I am clueless. I know you said I could upload them to my profile but I still have not figured that out!

    Go to flickr.com and start an account. Once you have some pics loaded it's quite easy to link them here. Let me know once you have the acc't.
  • 02-09-2010, 04:40 PM
    02audionoob
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Hairsonfire
    Ha ha, that's how new I am to this vinly world. I have only bought new records and have not had that experience yet. I did get some used records from Salvation Army a long time ago (years) and I must have been very lucky because they look like and sound like they have never been played. It was only about 25 or so all together, all classical and jazz, but, still, what are the odds of someone giving away totally unused records? Hey, Harley Guy, where is Joplin? Looks like the East Coast (and Rhode Island where I live) is going to get slammed with snow so I will have some time to sit and listen to some records tomorrow.

    Hey Poppa C - still trying to figure out how to post photos. I am clueless. I know you said I could upload them to my profile but I still have not figured that out!

    The odds of someone giving away near-mint LPs at the onset of the Compact Disc are pretty good. I'll bet a great many unplayed records from the mail-order record clubs went to Salvation Army and Goodwill.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Ummmm...titles please!

    I have now edited and posted a picture. Maybe we should post all of our newly-acquired vinyl here from now on.
  • 02-09-2010, 05:14 PM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 02audionoob


    I have now edited and posted a picture. Maybe we should post all of our newly-acquired vinyl here from now on.

    Sounds Good!! DaNG, THAT'S A HUGE HAUL! Is that the Cars in the background?
  • 02-09-2010, 05:15 PM
    jrhymeammo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I was in a shop today and apparently someone with the same musical tastes as I had in the 70s had just dropped off their collection. The New Arrivals bin was filled with near-mint Nazareth, Boston, Led Zeppelin, ELO, Heart, Van Halen, Blue Oyster Cult, and the like. I was tempted to buy probably 20 of them, mostly to upgrade in condition...some of mine are worn from a poor turntable. I ultimately decided against all but two of them and headed to the jazz section. I came up with five Verve, Impulse, Mercury, Columbia and Blue Note so I was good to go. All were $2.98 each, as is typical for this particular store. A good day.

    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4016/...83755a47bd.jpg

    That is a great score!!!
  • 02-09-2010, 06:27 PM
    02audionoob
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Sounds Good!! DaNG, THAT'S A HUGE HAUL! Is that the Cars in the background?

    Candy-O has that unforgettable cover, huh?

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    That is a great score!!!

    ...and the thing I love about that store is they don't put high price tags on the good stuff. A classic jazz album can be just as cheap as a pop album. That means you have to be fast, though.
  • 02-10-2010, 06:00 PM
    cwood74
    You've got a problem?! For every Young-Holt Unlimited gem, I have a Don Johnson (yes, that Don Johnson) embarrassment. When it's a buck, it's hard to walk away if for no other reason than to say you own something that ridiculous.
  • 02-11-2010, 03:52 PM
    JoeE SP9
    You guys came to the party late. In the 80's when "perfect sound forever" was released I was buying vinyl from people who bought into the myth. I more than tripled my vinyl collection in a two year period. Most the additions were from "audiophiles" dumping vinyl for CD.
    I didn't have to go to GW or a "Thrift Store". I would go to a friends home and pick what I wanted from collections that were well cared for. Three or four bucks apiece was what I payed for pristine vinyl.
    I still check GW and other places periodically. It's a lot more work now and the stuff usually needs serious cleaning. The "Spin Clean" is the cheapest thing I've heard of for cleaning vinyl. You can get one for $60 or get the complete system (extra everything) for $100. I'm ordering one.

    I even clean new vinyl.

    See the review link below.
    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...rd_cleaner.htm

    Get it here.
    http://www.spincleanrecordwasher.com...ts-record.html

    The only thing I have concerning Don Johnson is his picture on the Miami Vice soundtrack LP.
  • 02-11-2010, 03:58 PM
    02audionoob
    In around 1990, a co-worker was getting out of vinyl (and tape). He offered to let me have any of his 200 or so classic jazz LPs (for free) I wanted before he took them to sell. I chose only 20 or so. To this day, I still kick myself. I didn't have the money to pay him a fair price for the whole batch but was too shy to take any more than I did.
  • 02-11-2010, 04:05 PM
    JoeE SP9
    That was a very nice thing to do. I'll bet that 20 or so you took off his hands are ones you still play and treasure today.
  • 02-11-2010, 05:05 PM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    In around 1990, a co-worker was getting out of vinyl (and tape). He offered to let me have any of his 200 or so classic jazz LPs (for free) I wanted before he took them to sell. I chose only 20 or so. To this day, I still kick myself. I didn't have the money to pay him a fair price for the whole batch but was too shy to take any more than I did.

    I would have tore through that mofo like a Tazmanian Devil. There would have been no evidence that an LP was ever there...
  • 02-11-2010, 05:11 PM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    You guys came to the party late. In the 80's...

    Hey man, cut me some slack. I was born in '77.
  • 02-11-2010, 05:35 PM
    JoeE SP9
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by poppachubby
    I would have tore through that mofo like a Tazmanian Devil. There would have been no evidence that an LP was ever there...

    You say you were born in 77! You must have been born with an old ear or something. I did say you came late to the party. Not your fault just the draw.
    I too would have grabbed all of them and If necessary promised payment at a later date.
  • 02-12-2010, 08:16 AM
    audio amateur
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Hairsonfire
    It's like a sickness! Ever since I bought I turntable I am like a junkie! I walk into the record store and comb through all the records and put those I am interested in off to the side until I have checked out every single one and then of those I pick the ones I absolutely HAVE to have. I am trying not to replicate my entire CD Collection but some are just too good to pass up. In a twist of irony today I purchased Synchronicity by the Police and remembered that when I bought my very first CD Player back in 1985, Synchronicity was the very first CD that I ever bought! Arrrrrrhhhhhggggggg Some body HELP ME!!!! LOL! I love this stuff. I also picked up Dark Side of the Moon and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

    Why do you need help? Keep it up man! :D
  • 02-13-2010, 11:51 AM
    poppachubby
    Not Bad...
    ...there's a record show in town tommorrow. Didn't want to go overboard today.

    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2706/...dfc2b614_b.jpg
  • 02-13-2010, 05:56 PM
    02audionoob
    I stopped by the place with the $2.98 records again, today, just for a few minutes...came away with this...

    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4067/...d90d802f_o.jpg

    I think I'm gonna dig that DVD. I can't believe a Columbia 6-eye (the Brubeck) can be priced $2.98, but hey...that's the way they do it. Brubeck: $2.98. Streisand: $2.98. Liberace: $2.98.
  • 02-13-2010, 06:08 PM
    hifitommy
    hah ! 1977
    i was just leaving my ex-wife then. ahhhhhhhhh what a breath of fresh air !!! i was 33yo and not getting any younger. the marriage was ded ded ded from the beginning.

    i met a wonderful girl and after 21/2 years of divorce/child settlement, we proceeded with our own venture. she also loved music and when i came in town with the audio equipment, she adapted right away.

    on a saturday afternoon i came home after working at the hospital til noon. the night before i had put up my little celestion county speakers on top of my infiintiy monitor jrs and when i arrived, she had disconnected them (banana plugs) and the infinities were playing fleetwood mac on the teac open reel (which hadnt been loaded with tape when i left) !!! she had done all that without instruction.

    she passed away in early '93 and MAN i miss her a lot. she was part and parcel of the fact that the audio dominated the living room.
  • 02-13-2010, 08:34 PM
    dean_martin
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hifitommy
    i was just leaving my ex-wife then. ahhhhhhhhh what a breath of fresh air !!! i was 33yo and not getting any younger. the marriage was ded ded ded from the beginning.

    i met a wonderful girl and after 21/2 years of divorce/child settlement, we proceeded with our own venture. she also loved music and when i came in town with the audio equipment, she adapted right away.

    on a saturday afternoon i came home after working at the hospital til noon. the night before i had put up my little celestion county speakers on top of my infiintiy monitor jrs and when i arrived, she had disconnected them (banana plugs) and the infinities were playing fleetwood mac on the teac open reel (which hadnt been loaded with tape when i left) !!! she had done all that without instruction.

    she passed away in early '93 and MAN i miss her a lot. she was part and parcel of the fact that the audio dominated the living room.

    Hey, man. Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharin'. Sounds like you have some great memories of good times.
  • 02-13-2010, 08:36 PM
    hifitommy
    ...came away with this...
    we had a local 'yard sale' where the guy had many hundreds of LPs available at $0.50 and my non LP purchase for two bucks was the chet baker VHS of 'lets get lost', the documentary featuring him in person.

    later when i checked it on the computer it was going for $80 !

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8Z8H6PG68ST4A

    above is a dvd for $26 and below, you wont believe:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

    its certainly wort a view as a video but at what cost?
  • 02-14-2010, 05:49 AM
    poppachubby
    Great story Tommy. It goes to show that companionship is what it's all about. A marriage without it, is doomed. My wife and I spent 8 years together before deciding to get married. Life is busy but we still have fun.

    I feel sorry for guys on here who talk all tough when it comes to their spouse. Would rather have an oversized speaker and a marriage pending divorce, than a happy home.

    BTW, here's where I will be today...

    http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/...1039c7_20.jpeg
  • 02-14-2010, 10:40 AM
    hifitommy
    "great memories of good times"
    yup,

    no need to go around moping. i have the good memories and we had two beautiful children.

    she even insisted i hook up the dynaquad after a move. it adds just the right amount of fullness and subtle ambience to the music.
  • 02-14-2010, 10:58 AM
    harley .guy07
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Hey man, cut me some slack. I was born in '77.

    I did not realize you were around my age. I was born in 74 so I am just a wee bit older but it is nice to see someone with like interests that is around my age. We both know about the new theater stuff but our passion resides in the world of simple two channel music bliss weather it be a old golden tube amp powering some vintage Sound Dynamics or My 17 year old Adcom 545 Mk2 powering some 16 year old highly modified Paradigm Monitor 7's but that is just two people's system with a slightly different approach but with the same target in mind.
  • 02-14-2010, 12:43 PM
    poppachubby
    OK fellas, did really well today...

    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/...1d53b06aaa.jpg

    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4054/...95af789afc.jpg

    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4016/...9fab223656.jpg

    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/...ef413959ed.jpg


    Here's a couple of winners, first Marvin Gaye 3 LP anthology complete with booklet, original Motown:

    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4002/...788d59b96a.jpg

    Second, speeches from WWII, Nazi style. Believe me, I'm not a Nazi...

    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/...826a99d9f1.jpg
  • 02-14-2010, 11:03 PM
    02audionoob
    Looks like a great haul, Chubbs. You are a record-show master. I have many of those, and want most of the others. I'll pass on the Fuhrer's greatest hits, though. :crazy:

    Following up with a conversation we had in pm one day, I'd be interested in what you think of the sound quality of Ghost In The Machine. I complimented the quality of the vinyl produced by The Police and I think you weren't impressed by Regatta de Blanc.
  • 02-15-2010, 02:29 AM
    poppachubby
    Haven't spun The Police yet. The Marsalis was dissapointing, I should have looked closer. He's playing classical songs, quite boring. The Louis Armstrong is really noisy also. As for the Nazi LP, it gets filed with my other odds and ends such as my disco instructional, complete with book and my Jimmy Swaggart.

    The Enya sounds great. The Sade and Robbie Robertson are also super clean and quiet.
  • 02-15-2010, 07:02 AM
    02audionoob
    The noisy Louis Armstrong record could be a mono. If that's the case, it might sound better in a system that can be switched to mono. It also might benefit from being played with a larger stylus. I use a 1.0 mil conical stylus (Ortofon Pro S) on my mono records.

    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2730/...2ebb55c1_t.jpg
  • 02-15-2010, 08:17 AM
    poppachubby
    You must be right. There's nothing on the cover or album to suggest it's stereo. I pulled it out of a dollar bin, I overlooked it during the frenzy of elbowing people out of the way and stuffing my bag full.

    God damn I have 23 carts and stylii right now, I can't imagine another...

    BTW, the Benson count is now up to 12 and I still have to get White Rabbit. I am going to start grabbing some Freddie Hubbard. He's a Benson CTI label mate, excellent trumpeter. Check the box for a good Hubbard album, I know you love trumpet.
  • 02-21-2010, 03:15 AM
    poppachubby
    1 Attachment(s)
    Collectable originals...
    ...a buck each. Excuse the photography.
  • 02-21-2010, 07:31 AM
    02audionoob
    Does that say "torch time"? I bet I'd be diggin' that one.
  • 02-21-2010, 09:41 AM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Does that say "torch time"? I bet I'd be diggin' that one.

    Yes man, it's Torch Time by The Ink Spots. I know, the photo is a waste. Every vocal recording I buy I think of whether you would like it or not.

    "Will it meet his standards?"

    "Will this finally be the LP that makes him think I'm cool?"

    I'm actually hoping to get some money for it. Might go to the local shop with an armful for trade. Depends what he's got.
    [/IMG]
  • 02-21-2010, 10:01 AM
    02audionoob
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Yes man, it's Torch Time by The Ink Spots. I know, the photo is a waste. Every vocal recording I buy I think of whether you would like it or not.

    "Will it meet his standards?"

    "Will this finally be the LP that makes him think I'm cool?"

    I'm actually hoping to get some money for it. Might go to the local shop with an armful for trade. Depends what he's got. BTW, I have an excellent CD of Peter Malick f. Norah Jones. You want a copy?

    Now you know I thought you were cool a long time ago. I have the Peter Malick CD, but thanks for asking.
  • 02-21-2010, 01:17 PM
    hifitommy
    me TOO !
    well, music in all forms but vinyl is a strong addiction too. yesterday i went to record surplus in west LA and scored nicely:

    first i saw rob wasserman's "solo" for $5 but passed it by but then there way 'duets' which i have on CD for 3 so i backtracked to the solo and snagged that too. the duets is a promo, BONUS !

    ialready had in hand maria muldaur 'there is a love' for 3 (i pretty much buy everything by her, the personnel lists are always awesome). the i found the paul desmond quartet featuring jiim hall, percy heath, and connie kay 'east of the sun'.

    solo\
    wassserman
    duets/

    desmond-east of the sun

    muldaur-there is a love

    not bad for $14 being that they are all in excellent shape.

    plus a cd of mickey hart-global drum project-$8. i LOVE record surplus.

    oh i forgot to add that i already have the cd trios by rob and it is always cheeeep (dont know why) but i doubt i will ever find vinyl of that title. but you never know.
  • 02-21-2010, 02:12 PM
    poppachubby
    Let's see some pics Thomas. C'mon, I know you have it in ya!
  • 02-23-2010, 01:20 PM
    poppachubby
    Little pick up today. Linda Rondstadt's first band...

    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2803/...170eeeca1f.jpg
  • 02-23-2010, 03:23 PM
    02audionoob
    Chubbs...it looks almost like you've been raiding my collection. Here's my score for today...

    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2796/...020e7daa_o.jpg