Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help! I keep buying vinyl!!!

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    JJ is a big band style for which he uses 3 configurations of players...

(A) Clark Terry, Ernie Royal, trumpets, fluegelhorns; J.J. Johnson, Jimmy Cleveland, trombones; Tony Studd, bass trombone; Jerry Dodgion, alto sax, flute; Oliver Nelson, alto sax, tenor sax; Jerome Richardson, tenor sax, baritone sax, flute; Hank Jones, piano; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Grady Tate, drums.

(B) Thad Jones, Ernie Royal, trumpets, fluegelhorns; J.J. Johnson, Jimmy Cleveland, trombones; Tony Studd, bass trombone; Jerry Dodgion, alto sax, flute, alto flute; Oliver Nelson, alto sax, tenor sax; Ray Beckenstein, baritone sax, bass clarinet, flute; Hank Jones, piano; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Grady Tate, drums.

(C) Jimmy Maxwell, Joe Wilder, trumpets; Thad Jones, Ernie Royal, trumpets, fluegelhorns; J.J. Johnson, Jimmy Cleveland, trombones; Tony Studd, Tom Mitchell, bass trombones; Jimmy Buffington, French horn; Bill Stanley, tuba; Jerry Dodgion, alto sax, flute, alto flute; Harvey Estrin, soprano sax, alto sax, clarinet, flute, alto flute; Oliver Nelson, alto sax, tenor sax, clarinet; Budd Johnson, baritone sax, bass clarinet; Hank Jones, piano; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Grady Tate, drums.

Produced by Jack Somer
    Recording engineer: Mickey Crofford
    Recorded at Webster Hall, New York City on December 7 (A), 8 (B) and 9 (C), 1964
    Arranged by Oliver Nelson (2), Gary McFarland (3 & 9), Tom McIntosh (10 & 11) and J.J. Johnson (all others).

Produced for release by Michael Cuscuna
    Remixed in 24-bit from the original three-track tapes and mastered by Mark Wilder, Sony Studios

Trombone for Two

J. J. Johnson & Kai Winding, trombones, Dick Katz, piano; Paul Chambers (#1-10), Milt Hinton (#11-15), Bill Crow (#16-20), bass; Osie Johnson (#1-10), Shadow Wilson (#11-15), Kenny Clarke (#16-20), drums.
    Recorded at Columbia 30th Street Studio on June 23, 1955 (#2, 5, 7, 8 & 10), June 24, 1955 (#1, 3, 4, 6 & 9), November 17, 1955 (#11-15) and July 18, 1956 (#16-20).

Candido Camero, bongos is added on track 12.
    Johnson and Winding play tromboniums on track 16

JJ in Person

Personnel: J.J. Johnson (trombone); Nat Adderly (cornet); Tommy Flanagan (piano); Wilbur Little (bass); Albert Heath (drums).

WOW!...I'll say it again...WOW!!!

Imma have to look for those albums....I hope I can find them new. When I saw Oliver Nelson and Grady Tate thats all it took....I was sold.

Thanks man. IF you think you want to unload them, let me know.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    WOW!...I'll say it again...WOW!!!

Imma have to look for those albums....I hope I can find them new. When I saw Oliver Nelson and Grady Tate thats all it took....I was sold.

Thanks man. IF you think you want to unload them, let me know.
    Hahaha...I think I'll be hanging onto them. I have my sights on a couple more JJ/Kai LPs. I've also tracked down some solo Winding LPs.

I'm just warming up my gear right now for the JJ stuff...

Went record shopping today....

Just got through giving them the cleaning regimen. Now spinning the first of two in that one in the lower right. It's a double live album featuring Charlie Parker, Charles Mingus and others at Massey Hall in 1953. This is a 1973 re-issue. Sides 1 and 2 were the original.

My man! Even into Angela Bofill! Good score.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I would like a rip of that Klugh. Nice score...

Picked this one up on the auction site. Condition was overstated, even more than usual, so I'll still be looking for a keeper. You gotta love this cover. My Julie London goal is now two records from completion, but one of them (Swing Me An Old Song) is apparently seen less often than Bigfoot.

Thats a great cover. Congrats!! I'm guessing you didn't pay too much judging by the fact that you're not upset. I love how it's Calender Girl and there are infact 12 pics.

The calendar theme runs through the music, too. 12 songs, each with a month named in it, in chronological order.

So today a guy at my work brought in a crate of LPs for me. He has long discussed giving them to me, but with no result. I had given up on him. There were about 50 or so. Some great stuff, most of which I don't have. The covers are beat up but the vinyl is super clean.

I went to my local record shop to pickj up some inners/outters. The owner asked to look at what I had, and ended up buying a few, giving me $65 in trade.

Picked up some tasty jazz as a result. All in all a great day. Now i have the tubes warming up...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help!  I keep buying vinyl!!!-dsc03528.jpg  

More...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help!  I keep buying vinyl!!!-dsc03526.jpg  

MOre.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help!  I keep buying vinyl!!!-dsc03525.jpg  

More....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help!  I keep buying vinyl!!!-dsc03524.jpg  

Pops, are you my alter ego? I have five of the seven jazz LP's you just picked up. Well, I did buy them way back then. Suger is one of my "easy listening" go to LP's.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Pops, are you my alter ego? I have five of the seven jazz LP's you just picked up. Well, I did buy them way back then. Suger is one of my "easy listening" go to LP's.
    Yes, you ripped me a copy of Sugar, remember? I love it, and it has two of my faves, Hubbard and Benson. All of these LPs are original.

It's funny you say easy listening. I find it pretty laid back too. That's about as close to "smooth jazz" as i want to come. For chillin out, I think nothing beats Hank Mobley. Of course, the West Coast cats are good for that too...Desmond, Getz, Cohn, etc...

BTW, I spent some time experimenting and have hit on a great chain for ripping. I know you rip LPs too. What gear do you use Joe? Check out the turntable forum at AK and search "ripping LP". Have you checked out the EM-U stuff? Frankly, I'm happy with my Soundblaster.

Now that my rips are top notch, and I mean TOP NOTCH, I am moving away from discs. Sure I will still burn CDs and use a CDP but as far as reference goes, I may step up my DAC and get a Squeezebox.

I paid $20 for these 8 from a CL deal, the jazz in particular are super minty...

These 3 were $15...

Yes, you ripped me a copy of Sugar, remember? I love it, and it has two of my faves, Hubbard and Benson. All of these LPs are original.

It's funny you say easy listening. I find it pretty laid back too. That's about as close to "smooth jazz" as i want to come. For chillin out, I think nothing beats Hank Mobley. Of course, the West Coast cats are good for that too...Desmond, Getz, Cohn, etc...

BTW, I spent some time experimenting and have hit on a great chain for ripping. I know you rip LPs too. What gear do you use Joe? Check out the turntable forum at AK and search "ripping LP". Have you checked out the EM-U stuff? Frankly, I'm happy with my Soundblaster.

Now that my rips are top notch, and I mean TOP NOTCH, I am moving away from discs. Sure I will still burn CDs and use a CDP but as far as reference goes, I may step up my DAC and get a Squeezebox.
    I use my SB X-Fi Elite Pro. Ripping vinyl at 24/96 seems to work well for me.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Now only one album away from completing my pre-1962 Julie London collection...

I just poked my head in this thread after not checking it for a while and I have to say you all are making me so jealous!

Tomorrow the college station is hosting a CD ad LP sales event - I want to go - but I can't spend any money!! SO WHAT THE POINT! Oh well, it will happen again next year and I'll save up.

We are about to cash out of the apartment we are at and get a place up in the mountains away from the BS of the burbs - so money going to that.... ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    I just poked my head in this thread after not checking it for a while and I have to say you all are making me so jealous!

Tomorrow the college station is hosting a CD ad LP sales event - I want to go - but I can't spend any money!! SO WHAT THE POINT! Oh well, it will happen again next year and I'll save up.

We are about to cash out of the apartment we are at and get a place up in the mountains away from the BS of the burbs - so money going to that.... ugh.
    Mountains huh? That will be a good place for your left winged band of rebels. Sounds like you need to hit the thrifts and watch the Craigslist.

Mountains huh? That will be a good place for your left winged band of rebels. Sounds like you need to hit the thrifts and watch the Craigslist.
    Good idea on the CL - but - do you know of a tool that will automatically search CL for you a couple times a day and alert you to a post that meets some variables?

My collection of the albums represented on The Best of Julie is now complete...

Nice, great pic!!

***** Lurker

Talking I created a monster!

Wow! I started this thread and am amazed to see it has taken on a life of its own! And, I STILL KEEP BUYING VINYL! LOL!

My system sounds great now!

Have a look...

What's that you say? There's no record? That's right. Shelby Lynne is currently reiterating that you CAN get great sound from digital.

But not to worry...I keep buying vinyl.

Most excellent score!! How does the Chet Atkins sound? Is there orchestration on it? If not I would love a copy.

I found 2 good condition Joan Baez at a thrift. Both on the Vanguard label. Do you want them?

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information