Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help! I keep buying vinyl!!!

I finally scored

Hey Poppa...I went out and found some albums....blew me away. And they are all in good condition.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I could not believe "The Girl from Ipanema" was there.

And the "Echos of an Era" album is mint. I use to have this album back in the day with some other stuff they did. They had one with Freddy Hubbard instead of Nancy Wilson and it was released as "The Griffith Park Collection" Most people neve heard Stanly Clark play an acoustic bass before and he does a great job at it s well. And Lenny White is a great bop drummer...trouble is he never does out side of Chick Corea

The Dave Brubeck is the worst of the bunch and it at bad quality...its the label Fantasy. Its a cheap label. I fell for the color of the vinyl...it was red.

For those who don't know, the "Reunion" album is "New Age" music...I love that stuff as well.

The Focus album by Getz has him in a totally different setting. He has an orchestra behind him...sorta like what Charlie "Bird" Parker did back in the day....set a bunch of Jazz standards to strings. Getz is sounding very good on this album.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Yes she is....noob, my man! You are ahead of the game. She also did an album giving Bud Powell and Bill Evans a tribute...have you heard those?
    I have not heard or even heard of those, but I'll see if I can track them down.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Right on frenchie!! Those look great...you're on your way. That Echoes LP looks tasty.

Picked up a few records, today...including two by Paul Desmond, in honor of frenchmon.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Picked up a few records, today...including two by Paul Desmond, in honor of frenchmon.

noob...my man!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Right on frenchie!! Those look great...you're on your way. That Echoes LP looks tasty.
    oh yeah it pretty good....do you like Nancy Wilson?

Nice grab noob, those Desmond look great. I am having loads of luck with the latest haul. I don't know about you guys, but I've had mixed luck with any "Various Artist" type of albums. Even my copy of Atlantic's 25th Anniversary isn't that great, but what a list of artists and songs. Do any of you guys have any decent sounding mixed LPs? How's your latest haul sounding noob? What about you frenchmon?

Here's my copy of the Atlantic double LP...

And here's the two LPs I'm talking about.

If you like Buddy Rich, check this out. If you don't, here's a good reason to.

Nice grab noob, those Desmond look great. I am having loads of luck with the latest haul. I don't know about you guys, but I've had mixed luck with any "Various Artist" type of albums. Even my copy of Atlantic's 25th Anniversary isn't that great, but what a list of artists and songs. Do any of you guys have any decent sounding mixed LPs? How's your latest haul sounding noob? What about you frenchmon?

Here's my copy of the Atlantic double LP...

And here's the two LPs I'm talking about.
    I rarely buy albums by various artists. I do have some movie soundtrack albums, like FM, but that's about it. I haven't gotten to the playing part with today's haul. I'm still cleaning. These LPs are in great condition when I get the mess off them, though.

Chubbs will love this...The album in the center of the bottom row in my photo weighs 82 grams. I can hold it by its edges and it actually droops.

A tasty score for under $20. The Clarke is 180g. They are all super clean and minty. I've been slowing rounding out my Split Enz collection...

Not the best pic, the bottom right hand is David Sanborn. I'm most excited about the DiMeola, it's one of his most revered performances.

Nice haul everyone!!!!!! Is this Stan Getz month!! I gotta hear that "Focus" album. Want to know the verdict on the Clarke and Bob James album. I ran across the James album at a thrift store and was dubious about it: it is such a departure. How do you guys find all these jazz albums at such good prices?! Never am I so lucky.

Enochrome..PoppaC is a hunter....he can find some albums.

That Focus album is a little different setting than I am use to from Getz. He is set to strings...but its still good.

Bonnie Raitt

Spinning Bonnie's breakthrough...greatness...love the hair.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help!  I keep buying vinyl!!!-100_3941.jpg  

What condition is that Ben and Jaquet album in?

Truthfully, not the greatest. I would say Good. It cleaned up quite well. The disc is 200g and when playing there are minimal pops/clicks.

It's probably about the worst I will accept an LP.

Truthfully, not the greatest. I would say Good. It cleaned up quite well. The disc is 200g and when playing there are minimal pops/clicks.

It's probably about the worst I will accept an LP.
    How do you know if an old original is 200g if its not printed on the cover or album?

Do you have a separate table to play the more worn LP's on? I am leaning that way. I will continue to look for a nice vintage table to play the more worn LP's on and use the MMF 2.1 to play the no "fried egg sound" LP's. Then when I get the Xpression lll it will take over the duty of the MMF 2.1, the 2.1 will take over the duty of the vintage, and the vintage table will go in the bed room system with a vintage Marantz Receiver...Rotel CDP and DIY speakers.

Im a big Illionois Jacquet fan...

P.S.....I should have something in the mail for you in about a week.

Sounds good. If an LP is in bad shape, I don't buy it, therefore no, I don't play crumby LPs on any of my decks. I'm not a snob, I like a little fried chicken in the mix but I have limits.

How do you know if an old original is 200g if its not printed on the cover or album?
    I certainly haven't seen it all, but I don't think I've ever come across vintage LP that weighs 200g. Some original Blue Note LP I own on 47th West 63rd and other Classical label such as Columbia, London, Decca have thickness that of close to 200g, but I think it's feel much lighter than 200g. Do modern 180 and 200g LP have higher density than vintage wax?

Most of the Verve LP tends to be on a heavier side though.

After a couple more cleanings and a couple more listens, this album is starting to sound alot better.

As for the music, really bluesy but up beat.

I've got several Decca pressings that are 200g. The best way to tell is by looking at the outer edge. There will be no lip at all with a 200g. What you essentially get is a completely flat LP which helps to make tracking better. I also find they sit on the mat better and therefore my weight is more effective.

"Because the greeeaaaa...tessssst....

....score of all, is happening to meeeee"

Thank you for that intro Whitney.

Yes guys, today was indeed a GREAT one. Started down at Grooves, my local vinyl shop and scored these for under 30.

Decided to hit a thrift on the way home, and that's when things got downright stupid. First of all, walk in to find out that all LPs are $1.00 instead of $2.00.

Found these. I kid you not, they're practically mint. I already have Aja, but at $1.00 how could I not??

Now check this out. This is the point where I started to become short of breath, eyesight blurring, etc...

AEOC...near mint....

Keith Jarrett Live in Koln, double LP....

And finally, the piece de resistance, Satchmo, double LP, near mint. The vinyl obviously. Let me re-iterate, for a dollar!!..

noob, you can have the Armstrong. It's mono. Does anyone need a copy of Aja? It's mint.

Forget the rest....that Slade was worth practically all the cash you spent: it's their best record and hard to find in the States. I'm a big Slade fan. I'll post some pics of some of their others that are not nearly as good as that one.

Nice.

I've also got some old Decca and Verve that are flat and close 200g. They sound great but are more prone to scratches than later pressings.

Nice score. And you know you are a real music lover and not just a collector, if you can sit through "The Art Ensemble of Chicago" and Keith Jarrett"s Koln Concert back to back, without moving from you sitting position unless turning over the vinyl, and understand whats really going on....So can you do it?

Sounds good. If an LP is in bad shape, I don't buy it, therefore no, I don't play crumby LPs on any of my decks. I'm not a snob, I like a little fried chicken in the mix but I have limits.
    Not talking about albums in bad shape PoppaC...shoot, I just threw a bunch of that junk out...Im talking stuff that's not mint played on the second table to protect the best cart.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information