Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Audio Enthusiast

CD is dead. Long live Vinyl?

The digital delivery of music seems to have absorbed much of the sales of traditional CDs.

However, Vinyl sales are rising and market futures look optimistic. Could Vinyl ultimately be around to see the demise of the CD?

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/m...eningpost_1029

Suspended
    One of the guys here, not mentioning any names, Wooch, fails to see any increase in vinyl sales. I also noticed Amazon.com is carrying vinyl now. I haven't looked up any titles but I bet they have it cheaper than any of the other internet dealers of new vinyl. Quite an interesting trend.

Not bloody likely

Quote Originally Posted by squeegy200
    The digital delivery of music seems to have absorbed much of the sales of traditional CDs.

However, Vinyl sales are rising and market futures look optimistic. Could Vinyl ultimately be around to see the demise of the CD?

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/m...eningpost_1029
    True, downloads will replace many, maybe most, eventually all CD sales. However there is no way that LP sales will depress CD sales to any significant degree.

Vinyl is and will remain a niche product, (not so say the its sales won't increase). The bottom line is the (largely imaginary) sound improvements do not out weight the appalling ergonomics and durability of the medium.

It is also clear that if SACD survives it will be as a niche product. (Possibly it will be replaced by Blu-Ray if and when the latter wins over HD-DVD.) If there is a niche market shoot out, it is likely to be LP versus SACD. It appalls me to think that vinyl might win such a contest.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I am rooting for vinyl.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

I'm saddened ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
    ... By the deeply irrational responses of JM and Bernd

If it weren't for the better sound, (rice krispie free at very least), better ergonomics, better durability, and -- hell yes -- lower cost, SACD might only beat LP by being multi-channel.

Oh, I forgot: multi-channel LPs are possible and were actually produced for a while -- I guess we'll just have to fall back on SACD's other advantages.

This has been a great day off. All music on vinyl today. Cd is nice as a convenience format but I love the sound quality and hands on approach of vinyl. No rice krispies here.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Smile TOOO Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    One of the guys here, not mentioning any names, Wooch, fails to see any increase in vinyl sales. I also noticed Amazon.com is carrying vinyl now. I haven't looked up any titles but I bet they have it cheaper than any of the other internet dealers of new vinyl. Quite an interesting trend.
    OH sweet!!
    Amazon now has vinyl too.
    I just booked marked it
    http://amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_961...1&pf_rd_i=5174
    With free shipping on orders over $25 and no TAX + they will offer new and used OMG this is a great day.
    And now that Circuit City is selling them man it just keeps getting better and better.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

I was just thinking. Did they not create the SACD format because of what was lacking in cd's compared to vinyl such as ambiance. If SACD were aiming for vinyl I will stick with the original.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 10-30-2007 at 12:49 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Hands-on

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    This has been a great day off. All music on vinyl today. Cd is nice as a convenience format but I love the sound quality and hands on approach of vinyl. No rice krispies here.
    I can't even be bothered fiddling with CDs, never mind LPs. 90% of my listening is to computer files.

Oh no! Will all my CD's stop working now?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I can't even be bothered fiddling with CDs, never mind LPs. 90% of my listening is to computer files.

I am way too inept with computers. I think it is great for those of you with the skills. If I loaded everything on a file I would probably lose it all and the only music I would have is the sound made when the computers modem dials up.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Pathetic

I was just thinking. Did they not create the SACD format because of what was lacking in cd's compared to vinyl such as ambiance. If SACD were aiming for vinyl I will stick with the origianl.
    No, SACD was created because the Sony/Phillips CD patents were running out.

But if there is any doubt that CD is better than vinyl, there is none that SACD is. Personally, I have no problem with the Red Book medium though I do own plenty of pretty poorly recorded CDs. Most of the baddies were produced in the 80's; most of the newer ones are good to great -- and not lacking in ambience. Admittedly I am judging by classic music CDs, not those of the "popular" genres.

AWESOME NEWS!!!

btw, D2D will walk all over SACD. Dynamic range is just "wicked" and makes me wonder if my cantilever is gonna snap off. Of course I'm just a financially challenged 2ch guy.

I'm gonna get on this Amazon thing this weekend.

Cheers,

There ain't nothin wrong with two channel. Call me old school but any concert that you have attended the performers were on stage in front of you. Even the concert hall itself can be captured and re-created in two channel accept for applause which in properly recorded surround sound can come from behind your listening position along with more of the feelin that you are there (which means little to me cause I'm always in the cheap seats). And at what cost? I saw Segovia once from a back row, balcony seat. The ambience I heard ain't happenin in home audio so what's the point? Best case, I'm not sure very many labels are recording with this in mind. Perhaps, others can speak to this.

I don't own a squeezebox or listen from a computer. So, disc in some fashion is my preferred way of listening to music. Besides, it ain't bad. Sorry, but vinyl will remain an electic medium even tho it's enjoying another day in the sun helped by purists and manufacturers seizing the moment (some of both originate from Japan where life expectancy is longer). Let me give you a case in point. A treasured record of mine is a Linn release of "All My Tomorrows" by an English bird named Carol Kidd. Linn has re-released this on vinyl- it's a bloody wonderful recording with great repertoire for collectors of such, like me- but on Amazon it's $85.00! I'm thinking maybe contacting Linn direct might produce better options but I don't know. However, on SACD Hybrid, it's $25.00.

The good stuff from Acoustic Sounds, Classic Records, Cisco and such cost $25.00 and more. We're in a pickle, my friend. I may have to learn about listening via a computer. In which case, I know where to come for advice. My daughter might listen to my records once they're hers . . once. Vinyl is for romantics, like me and many others here, and the curious. It will go the way of flatheads. CD might become a chestnut, too. Get em while they're hot!

(a lil later) WTF was I thinking? After a re-read, I don't know why I opened with two channel save for jrhyme's seeming like he was under privileged..
    Last edited by jim goulding; 10-31-2007 at 07:46 PM.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Oh no! Will all my CD's stop working now?

yes!

you will need a turntable instantly!

(just kiddin)

I too love Vinyl, especially on vintage speakers (like mine), I'm not saying that vinyl will outsell the cd again, but I do say that the black shiny discs will exist forever, albeit not for a big market.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Interesting discussion - I share Feanor's sentiments on this one, while I'm proud to own a small library of LP's (30-40), I just can't get enough of the music I like in vinyl, and IMO SACD is far superior that I'll elect to go that route first.
    I have a few LP's that sound better than some brutal CD mixes though - I don't blame the CD format, just the engineers who butchered it.

A few years back I read an article on some website somewhere that I tried to find today but couldn't. Maybe someone here will remember it if I try to describe it.

Essentially, it suggested the "weighted average" age of vinyl owners is significantly higher than CD owners. Ie, a 55 - 60 year old guy might have 200 LP's, where a 20 year old kid might have a dozen. The point being something like 90% of LP's are owned and used by people with limited time left on this earth compared to owners of other music formats.

When the aging sector of the market starts dying off at a rate exponentially faster than the CD market (inevitable in 10-25 years), the LP market won't die a long, draw out death, but rapidly die with a whimper.

I suspect LP's will be around for another generation or two in some capacity, but if they dont' start tapping into the younger buyers on a large scale, and fast, I can't see it enduring for long.

CD might give way to something newer and better, (or worse but more convenient) but I'm sure Vinyl will have nothing to do with its demise.

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    yes!

you will need a turntable instantly!

(just kiddin)

I too love Vinyl, especially on vintage speakers (like mine), I'm not saying that vinyl will outsell the cd again, but I do say that the black shiny discs will exist forever, albeit not for a big market.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    I have an old Technics TT in the basement. It's a direct drive with "quartz lock." It still works, but I no longer own any LP's. Someone thought that I had too many cases of them and felt that they'd take up less room behind the furnace. The rest, is history.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Essentially, it suggested the "weighted average" age of vinyl owners is significantly higher than CD owners. Ie, a 55 - 60 year old guy might have 200 LP's, where a 20 year old kid might have a dozen. The point being something like 90% of LP's are owned and used by people with limited time left on this earth compared to owners of other music formats.

Hey I am 51 and I resemble those remarks.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Yeah, I am 46 and expect to listen for another 46 to the black stuff. There will be no surrender to the sunny delight generation with their 1s and 0s.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

I'm not totally sold.

Good for you. I just popped in Art Blakey's Keystone 3 SACD and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. The workers that are redoing my bathroom screeched to an abrupt halt.

I suspect LP's will be around for another generation or two in some capacity, but if they dont' start tapping into the younger buyers on a large scale, and fast, I can't see it enduring for long.
    Which will be difficult given the relatively expensive nature of even a decent vinyl rig. The industry seems to be at odds with itself in terms of longterm success.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    Yeah, I am 46 and expect to listen for another 46 to the black stuff. There will be no surrender to the sunny delight generation with their 1s and 0s.

Hey, stop that. Where's my Ocean Spray?

Mutant from table 9
    A few years back I read an article on some website somewhere that I tried to find today but couldn't. Maybe someone here will remember it if I try to describe it.

When the aging sector of the market starts dying off at a rate exponentially faster than the CD market (inevitable in 10-25 years), the LP market won't die a long, draw out death, but rapidly die with a whimper.

Conversely, the opposite could be true as boomers start dying off. As their collections are sold off the LP market could become swiftly gutted. Suddenly, unknown copies of the Butcher cover will start surfacing. Prices will drop and collectors will line up searching to complete their artist catalogues. I'm only 32, I think Jra is younger than me, and Bert's only 17, so there are plenty of young advocates. Vinyl has been dying for 30 years since the entry of the cassette. It will never go away because it does offer full dynamic range and frequency range. Sure it could use better channel separation, but that's okay. Only lo-fi mediums like 8-track and cassette die complete deaths. Although reel to reel was a hi-fi medium that died a comlete death, so I could be wrong.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Age and mental infirmity

Interesting discussion - I share Feanor's sentiments on this one, while I'm proud to own a small library of LP's (30-40), I just can't get enough of the music I like in vinyl, and IMO SACD is far superior that I'll elect to go that route first.

CD might give way to something newer and better, (or worse but more convenient) but I'm sure Vinyl will have nothing to do with its demise.
    Kex, others,

I'm 62. I have about 120 LPs left over from "the day"; (I had over 200 at one point but sold or gave away many). I recently bought an old Technics TT to replace my Rat Shack that broke, and a new Denon DL-110 cartridge. The LPs sounded pretty good, obviously some better than others. However I heard nothing that would even vaguely imply that the sound was better than a well-recorded CD. OK -- granted this vinyl rig of mine is entry level at best, but I haven't listen to any vinyl for several months and I have little temptation to do so.

Will vinyl catch on with younger people? Yes, to some extend, largely driven by the glamorous DJ image, but they will always be a product a small niche market . Nor will they displace CDs. If CDs gradually vanish, it will be because they are replaced by downloads, and that would be just fine with me provided the downloads are equal (or higher) rez and don't cost any more than actual CDs today.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information