Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Cool What amp for Paradigm Studio 20 v.2's? Help!

I am looking for an amp for a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 v.2's. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help.

NAD, Rotel, Adcom, ATI, and B&K would be great matches. However if you give us more info such as budget, room size, and the other equipment your using we might be able to help more.

Cheers,
    Glenn

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by anamorphic96
    NAD, Rotel, Adcom, ATI, and B&K would be great matches. However if you give us more info such as budget, room size, and the other equipment your using we might be able to help more.

Cheers,
    Glenn
    Thanks for the response. Right now I am just going 2 channel stereo through the Paradigms with a JVC DVD player and Sony 20" tv powered by a 70 watt Yamaha. My room is 13 by 18, and I am hoping to get out of it for around 500$, but am up for any suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Check out the Rotel RB 1050 (70w per channel). Even though the power output is the same the Rotel will supply a great deal more current and dynamic headroom. Or possibly look on the used market.

Cheers,
    Glenn

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the tip on the Rotel, any suggestions on a preamp to go with it? Also, in terms of integrated amps, any thoughts on the Creek 4330, NAD C352 or 372? Thanks.

I own the C352 and it sounds great with my Studio 40's. Great bass weight and authority with good control. Mids and highs are warm and detailed with no glare. The C72 would probably only be needed for very large rooms and has a very similar sound to the C352 I also like Creek but the 4330 is not in production anymore and would need to be bought used.

I would go with the matching pre amp for the Rotel which is the RC1070. Great combo. Very nice write up over at Enjoy The Music.com.

Any of the equipment listed her is going to make those Paradigms sing. If I had to pick the best of the bunch here it would be the C352. It offers tremendous bang for the buck and flexibility to boot.

Its also What HiFi's amplifier of the year. (Review is at NAD website.) There review pretty much sums up this amp to a T.

But it all comes down to what YOUR EARS like. By any of these products with confidence.

Cheers,
    Glenn

RGA
    Forum Regular
    What is it that you are displeased with right now. I am no fan of receivers but are inexpensive integrateds going to make a huge improvement? Perhaps not so much to spend the cash. Preamps are more important for sound quality so adding a power amp while important not so much for your speakers I believe.

I'd look at your source - speaker positioning room acoustics. Certainly a better amp will help but I would look at used higher end amps - Sugden, Naim etc. And I would also consider avoiding the amp trap mode and look at high end speaker makers.

Forum Regular
    I am no fan of receivers but are inexpensive integrateds going to make a huge improvement?
    An improvement over a Yamaha receiver for music? Absolutely. Apparently you don't believe in the benefits of quality amplification anymore. Unless it is tube-based, of course.

And I would also consider avoiding the amp trap mode and look at high end speaker makers.
    HAHA! RGA has coined a new audiophile syndrome. BTW, what he means to say is just buy Audio Note speakers and all your problems will be solved.

I would recommend an integrated amp/cd player combo from any of the budget brands: Arcam, Rotel, NAD, Cambridge Audio, etc. Plugin any component/brand scenario previously listed and your sound qaulity will be improved 100%. And it will still be cheaper than new "high end speakers."
    Last edited by NickWH; 12-26-2004 at 07:42 PM.

Forum Regular
    I don't mind the sound of the speakers with the Yamaha, but know it isn't the same as when I was shopping for them and heard them thru integrated or separates. I figured a good amp of either of those types would at least make a difference, but don't have a lot of cash to throw around. On my budget (around 500), what is my best bet? Thanks.

Forum Regular
    Well, Rome wasn't built in a day. Your audio purchases won't end with this $500. So plan ahead and purchase accordingly. Your source is pretty bad, the receiver will be a limiting factor with the new source. Nobody knows what you are looking to improve like you do. So figure out if an amp or a new source will make the most difference in your situation. All we can do is make suggestions.

Like I said before, you can do a new integrated amp/cdp combo for as little as $700. If you can't swing that now, buy one component now and save up for the other one. Or, look at the used market (audiogon.com) and look for a great deal(s) and buy everything in one shot. But don't just throw money at the problem.

With only 500 go for the NAD C320BEE for 399.00. It can accomodate and amp upgrade in the future if needed. You wont be disapointed.

Cheers,
    Glenn

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I personally would not go with the NAD 320 Bee based of what I heard it was a major dissapointment.

I believe in quality amplification and I already said I'm not a fan of receivers - I own a Marantz 4300. The problem is that spending $500.00 on a new integrated amp is going to net relatively small improvements - yes a Cambridge Audio or a NAD 352 or a Rotel RA1 I would take over similarly priced Receivers - but if you are looking for a major improvement none of these are it.

i recommend these integrated amps to people who have NO SYSTEM at all and are looking to build a 2 channel system - but if you already have a receiver and from one of the better reciever makers - which Yamaha is, then no I would rather see you jump into an amp that's going to make major steps forward - NAIM or Sugden, Bryston (not the new Arcam's).

Yes Rome was not built in a day but I still think i would prefer going for the biggest upgrade I can initially. If the Yamaha can add on a power amp then this route may be a good one - but the Paradigm is not tough to drive - Paradigm IMO was buot for people who intend to use receivers and intend to use the speaker primarily for home theater. They are relatively easy to drive.

My Sugden amp is around 65 watts and can easily drive the Paradigms. Buying a better amp will help but buying better speakers will help more - and yes it's true that I'm not a huge fan of Paradigm loudspeakers. Still buying amplifiers to fix em ain't the solution.

I would recommend a better front end(amp cd player turntable) for better speakers - System synergy is the key - throwing guesswork amps to fix the problem with the speakers isn't desirable to me.

Forum Regular

Paradigm Studio Serie is high end...................

I don't know why RGA is still trying to confuse people here. Man, Paradigm Studios are high end speakers. If you want be better informed go to the last edition of Sterephile and read the review that evaluate the Studio 60 v3. Please, don't tell anymore they aren't high end if you know perfect they are.
    Jorge

RGA
    Forum Regular
    There are lots of speakers well reviewed in Stereophile that are absolute utter crap - the difference is Paradigm doesn't give me $200,000 per year every year to keep my review magazine in business. 50+ pages of colour magazine print at about $2.00 an issue including shipping on subscriptions.

http://www.high-endaudio.com/magaz.html

Yeah you just keep taking Magazines as gospel.

Forum Regular

Yeah, everything is **** here ...you have the true

RGA, Iam really tired of this type of discussion. Iam not fan of Paradigm as you are of some brands. I only want to be just. For you Paradigm Studio aren't high end speakers but for most people they are. I am absolutely sure that Paradigm Studios are better speakers than the AN you advertise. If you think high end means silk domes and paper cones, you better save money to get a new set of ears if you can find who can implant them. I know there are better and more expensive speakers than the Studios but most of them are overpriced like many B&Ws. Pushing your own taste and fanaticism with some brands become this forum undesired.
    Jorge

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I don't push Audio Note - those who see it that way well chances are are Paradigm owners. There are plenty of high end speaker makers - but until you hear them - then yes Paradigm is certainly high end when compared to JVC ghetto blasters and Ford Stock Radios or Bose.

Come to Soundhounds in Victoria and listen to those Studio 100's against the AN's - if the Paradigms were better why on earth would I have bought AN? And just because you've heard some cheap soft dome speaker - perhaps from Wharfedale - make no mistake that they sound anything like a soft dome from AN. Just as Paradigm's metal tweeter is better than the one in a $12.00 clock radio.

The term high end is meaningless - what is high end to you may very well not be to me and vice versa. There are many speakers I recommend including Paradigms - there are many spekaers I think are overpriced junk - including those from Paradigm.

And maybe before you make assumptions you should go hear the competition first before you claim it isn't as good. Going to different forums and there is much more talk on much better speakers - and you will see that I'm not one guy who happens to own Audio Note or Snell original speakers.

There are lots of other companies making better speakers than Paradigm - the fact you haven't heard ANY of them is your problem.

Forum Regular

Surely you jest!

QUOTE=RGA]I don't push Audio Note - those who see it that way well chances are are Paradigm owners. There are plenty of high end speaker makers - but until you hear them - then yes Paradigm is certainly high end when compared to JVC ghetto blasters and Ford Stock Radios or Bose.

Come to Soundhounds in Victoria and listen to those Studio 100's against the AN's - if the Paradigms were better why on earth would I have bought AN? And just because you've heard some cheap soft dome speaker - perhaps from Wharfedale - make no mistake that they sound anything like a soft dome from AN. Just as Paradigm's metal tweeter is better than the one in a $12.00 clock radio.

The term high end is meaningless - what is high end to you may very well not be to me and vice versa. There are many speakers I recommend including Paradigms - there are many spekaers I think are overpriced junk - including those from Paradigm.

And maybe before you make assumptions you should go hear the competition first before you claim it isn't as good. Going to different forums and there is much more talk on much better speakers - and you will see that I'm not one guy who happens to own Audio Note or Snell original speakers.

There are lots of other companies making better speakers than Paradigm - the fact you haven't heard ANY of them is your problem.[/QUOTE]
    You NOT pushing Audio Note! GMAB!!! You scarcely miss an opportunity to do so, and also to bad mouth Paradigm, both here and at AA.

Let's face it: any speaker you don't like becomes "crap" or "junk."
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    funnyhat: Before you get discouraged by RGA insisting your Studio 20's need "fixing", consider what he's trying to tell you.

I own the Studio 20 v.2's as well. I've performed dozens of experiments with amplification through those speakers and my Studio 40's. With a better amplifier, you will improve your sound. The problem is, with your budget it will only improve marginally. I power mine with an Adcom GFA-535II power amp, and sometimes a classic NAD 3020 integrated or my Rotel RA-1070 integrated. That $500 you dump into a power amp will probably give a bit better sound, but your room isn't all that big, so power isn't nearly as important to you as some here would suggest.

Your biggest benefit will come from a better front end (pre-amp section) of an integrated unit, or a new pre-amp altogether. I would suggest buying a decent, used integrated amp (or new if your hesitant to buy used equipement). NAD has several nice models, as does Rotel, Parasound, PS Audio. If you aren't using your receiver for Home Theater, sell it to recover some of your costs.

But don't expect a complete night and day difference from your receiver. Unfortunately, unless sheer, raw power and volume is desired, improvments in sound directly related to the amplification part of an audio system comes in small doses.

I've hooked up Sudgens, Brystons, Krells, and even a nice Lexicon to my Studio's. While I'll admit they do sound better in my opinion, the 5%-10% improvement comes at a very steep price. This is an area that you have to spend a ton of money on to really improve usually. Before I'd go that far, I'd wait until you're ready to upgrade your speakers. I think this is what RGA was getting at. Your at a point now were it's gonna start costing you!

Forum Regular
    I don't push Audio Note - those who see it that way well chances are are Paradigm owners.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

You are right, you don't push...you almost ram it down people's throats. And I am not nor ever was a Paradigm owner.

Your biggest benefit will come from a better front end (pre-amp section) of an integrated unit, or a new pre-amp altogether.
    Right, it's not quantity of power it's quality of power. Big difference.

But don't expect a complete night and day difference from your receiver. Unfortunately, unless sheer, raw power and volume is desired, improvments in sound directly related to the amplification part of an audio system comes in small doses.
    If we are comparing budget integrateds to budget seperates or even a good 2-channel receiver, I would agree. But over an HT receiver? C'mon. Definitely a substantial improvement.

At this point if he buys a better CDP or turntable, whatever, the improvements will be virtually nullified going through that receiver. And if he's using a digital connection between player and receiver, it's just a transport, and we all know how much of a difference that would make. Zilch.

Before I'd go that far, I'd wait until you're ready to upgrade your speakers.
    If he upgrades speakers he will absolutely be upgrading the rest of his gear, and spending a lot more than $1000. So what comes first?

Quote Originally Posted by NickWH
    If we are comparing budget integrateds to budget seperates or even a good 2-channel receiver, I would agree. But over an HT receiver? C'mon. Definitely a substantial improvement.
    A Yamaha receiver that's only driving 2 speakers will have plenty of power in a medium or small sized room at decent volume levels. If it's powering all 5 things are different.
    I've been through this so many times with people in my own home that read on the internet somewhere that their receivers suck compared to $300 or $500 integrateds because audio enthusiasts hate HT receivers...well suck is too strong a word. It's funny, alot of receivers share the same components that power amps from the same company have. If it's a reputable receiver made in the last few years, the power supply is probably fairly decent, not as good as an integrated, but close.
    In fact, I'd easily put the amp unit of my RX-V1400 up against the amps in my Adcom units in just a 2-channel situation. Try splitting those Adcoms to 5 or even 7 speakers.

Forum Regular
    ...well suck is too strong a word.
    I wouldn't say suck. I'd say non-musical.

It's funny, alot of receivers share the same components that power amps from the same company have. If it's a reputable receiver made in the last few years, the power supply is probably fairly decent, not as good as an integrated, but close.
    Really? Does the Yamaha use a torroidal power transformer(s) like the Adcom? Does Yamaha ever use anything but an El transformer in their gear? Receivers are usually full of chips and PC cards. Minimal capacitance, and no guts.

If you are talking receivers from NAD, Rotel, Arcam or even Cambridge Audio, I would agree with that statement. But unless it's a megamonster flagship receiver from a mass-market brand, I would say the innards are on a much lower level.

In fact, I'd easily put the amp unit of my RX-V1400 up against the amps in my Adcom units in just a 2-channel situation.
    Well, Adcom isn't the last word in amplifiers to begin with.

Try splitting those Adcoms to 5 or even 7 speakers.
    Huh? You mean a multichannel amp, right? No contest, especially with speakers less than 8 ohms and less than 91dB sensivity.

The receiver does use an amplifier "chip" for each channel, so that wouldn't exactly be a fair comparison with a 2-channel power amp given impedence restraints, etc.

Forum Regular
    Here's some more info on receivers vs. amps:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...iverpower3.php

This article demonstrates how there is little to no difference between the amp sections between these model receivers, and look at the price spread. Where is that money going? Not to improved sound quality.

http://www.bryston.ca/newsletters/84_files/vol8is4.html

This article (and the one after it) explains the difference between the different power supply types.
    Last edited by NickWH; 12-29-2004 at 06:03 PM.

Nice reads, but they don't dispute a receiver's capability when operating within their "real" rated specs.

My NAD 3140 only has 40 watts/channel, and while it does sound better than any Marantz, HK, or Yamaha HT receiver I've owned, it's not a night and day difference.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Kex - that is EXACTLY what I was trying to say.

The rest
    Pushing AN? Recommending an audition - not ever to buy unheard - how very pushy eh.

Describing my listening auditions - well we must not do that - too many people in the world of politically correct want everything to be equal and write nice little banal comments about all brands rather than be honest. Gee and I thought I was pulling my punches and being pretty diplomatic with my feelings with some of these companies.

I have recommended Paradigms - I even gave one model my top marks for the budget a "Best Buy" tag that I have heard - I have also given my worst "not recommended" tag to an Audio Note speaker.

Call em as I hear em - don't agree that's fine - I don't like Liver and Onions, movies that start with Ace Ventura, or Death Metal and RAP. Who cares?

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyhat
    I am looking for an amp for a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 v.2's. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help.
    Visit Mr. Panasonic, get a XR70 or XR50 on a 30 day return and try it out on your Paradigms, you might like the combo very much Excellent transparency and midrange and good bass, you have to check it out to see if the treble is to your taste. While NAD,Rotel, etc are fine, this digital amplifier does something at this price point that the other brands I mentioned simply don't. IOW, if USD500 is all you have to spend, then you owe to yourself to hear these receivers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information