Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Oh Krell, my Krell

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Oh Krell, my Krell

Yes I am unhappy with my S-300i. I am not sure what happened but while playing vinyl I heard some weird sound. I raised the tonearm to free any hair or dirt causing mistracking. I realized the noise continued. I changed sources and it continued. The woofer on the left speaker was really dancing and I had no idea it had such extension and I quickly shut off the rear power switch. It settled down as the power drained from the amp.

Of course the amp is out of warranty but it has a history of problems. The first one I bought had a surface mounted switch that only worked with the remote control. Music Direct exchanged amps without a question. Nest was noise that continued in the right channel after being placed in standby. Krell was concerned and had me ship the amp and they repaired it. Then I blew it up using the wrong speaker cables and Krell was kind enough to fix it under warranty even though it was my mistake. Now the left channel is a little funky and thought it was going to harm my speakers.

Of course now I am using the Onkyo A-9555 int. amp that is older but more dependable. I will call Krell tomorrow but I am not willing to put much money into it since I have issues with it's dependability. I enjoy the sound but for 5x the price I paid for the Onkyo I expect some reliability.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Suspended
    That sucks. You should have picked the second box back on the shelf

So now that your in the market for some new gear, what about some Tubes?

If I were in the market for a Integrated I would look at a Pass Int 150 or Int 60. Just my opinion but either one of those would be great.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

I am going to talk with Krell first. I also need to check my purchase date. I do like the amp but I also like dependability. Maybe a Rogue Audio Sphinx may be in the future.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well the Krell was purchased in 8/2009 and the warranty is five years from sale or 6 years from manufacture. I am hoping Krell is kind. I do think the new Vanguard is made in this country. Maybe Chinese Krell did not work out.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Sorry to hear JM. Unless the fix is cheap it sounds like you will be pouring good money after bad.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I am going to talk with Krell first. I also need to check my purchase date. I do like the amp but I also like dependability. Maybe a Rogue Audio Sphinx may be in the future.
    The new Yamaha series of integrated amps have been getting some good press. Love the big meters on the S2100 and S3000, but the S801 might be more in your budget.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Good luck dealing with Krell; seems they've treated you decently in the past.

The Rogue Sphinx has a good Stereophile classification. As you no doubt know, it is hybrid integrated with at tube front end and a Hypex based, class D power section.

I have nothing against class D amps having owned a couple of them, but amplifier guru, Abe Collins over at Audio Asylum, hated the Sphinx while at the same time he loves the Rogue Cronus Magnum II: See ... Products_CronusMagnum.htm

Abe Collins seems to like a slightly warmer sound that the typical Krell but I still put a lot of weight on his opinions. If you are willing to go all-tubes, the Cronus Magnum II might be a strong contender for you.

Speaking of Abe Collins and the Pass Labs INT-150 which was mentioned above, Abe found the INT-150 be lacking dynamics, (or let's say, "PRaT"). The INT-150 has a passive front end which might be why he didn't care for the INT-150 but loved the Pass X150.5 combined with a tube preamp, the Cary SPL-05. The INT-150 would cost you $4000+ used and wouldn't be worth much money to me anyway.

I like the Krell so if it can be repaired for a minimal expense great. Of course my question is how long will it work this time. Luckily the Onkyo A-9555 is not a bad sounding budget amp. Class D so at least I am saving electricity.

Onkyo A-9555 integrated amplifier | Stereophile.com
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Sorry JM....hope it all works out.

There is also this new amp as well.

Parasound's new Halo 2.1 integrated amplifier ($2500) is rated at 160Wpc into 8 ohms (240Wpc into 4 ohms, both channels driven), and utilizes the same basic John Curl circuit design found in Parasound's Halo power amps. In addition to its analog inputs, it offers USB, coax, and optical digital inputs for sampling rates up to 192kHz, 24-bit. There's also analog bass management included for use with a subwoofer, and variable high- and low-pass crossovers
    Read more at RMAF 2014: Final Thoughts from Tom Norton | Stereophile.com

This is also a good one.....$3499 at MD

But if you want something a little more upscale and high end? something a little more sexy? Price: $3,990.00 At Music Direct, but cheaper direct from Japan through Ebay.

Last edited by frenchmon; 08-19-2015 at 09:12 AM.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I do like the Krell when it is working. It is too early to start thinking of another amp. Of course what I read on other sites there are some brands that have reliability issues. I just have to decide based on the cost of repairs to have it fixed or save it towards a new amp. It would be a shame to have a non functioning amp taking up space since it would have no value as a trade or to sell to someone.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

You could repair and put on Audiogon at an incredible price with the understanding of it being repaired by Krell. But thats only if you where ready to move on from it.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Suspended
    I 2nd the Parasound, if you get to that stage. It's a crazy good value and Parasound was struggling to keep up with demand. KEF used this integrated to show their speakers at Axpona, including the Blades. I spoke with Richard Schram while there, he told me the integrated has the same preamp as a P5 which sells at $1500.00 where the integrated is only $2500.00 with bhilt in DAC and huge power.

I am sorry to hear about the Krell. Sorry for Krell too as I am a fan. I understand the Vanguard and some of Krell's newer gear is warmer, I'd like to hear some of the newer stuff.

Just received word that since the amp has already been in twice for repair Krell will repair as if under warranty. I really like the sound of the amp and miss it even more now that I am listening to the Onkyo A-9555. I am happy because I really like the sound of the amp and did not want to buy another that I may not like as well.

Krell has always stood behind my purchase.
    Mr Peabody likes this.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    Thats a good deal and proper support for a unit that has failed several times and should not have.

In response to what was said about the int-150 above I don't know how it compares to my X150.5 but I love my amp and maybe you could luck into one afford-ably like I did and pair it with a tube preamp like said above. I do not know that might crush your budget as good tube Pre's are usually not cheap.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Suspended
    Good deal JM, right on, Krell
    JohnMichael likes this.

The S-300i is packed and ready for UPS tomorrow. I am sure glad I do not throw boxes away until after the warranty ends. The poor boxes on their third round trip are looking a little worn.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The S-300i is packed and ready for UPS tomorrow. I am sure glad I do not throw boxes away until after the warranty ends. The poor boxes on their third round trip are looking a little worn.
    I keep the boxes even after the product is out of warranty. It's always a nice selling feature for the perspective buyer to be receiving the product in the original box.

Have you given any thought to selling the S300i when you get it back. Sometimes as with cars after you've had them repaired a few times you start to worry that maybe it's time to move on. Maybe something inside the amp is causing the failures and it may also be compromising the sound. It's always preferred to sell a car when it's in top running condition as it will have the most retail value. Just some food for thought.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I keep the boxes even after the product is out of warranty. It's always a nice selling feature for the perspective buyer to be receiving the product in the original box.

Have you given any thought to selling the S300i when you get it back. Sometimes as with cars after you've had them repaired a few times you start to worry that maybe it's time to move on. Maybe something inside the amp is causing the failures and it may also be compromising the sound. It's always preferred to sell a car when it's in top running condition as it will have the most retail value. Just some food for thought.

It will of course depend on what they find. I do like the amp and have never regretted buying it due to the sound of the S-300i. I hope to gain a little dependability with this repair. I do not like bright or warm amps and this has always been just right for me. Selling it and buying another that may not be to my liking over time would be a problem.

Years ago I had a Rotel RA970BX that was great and needed repair. They loaned me a RA971BX and it was horribly bright. I was fearful my RA970BX would sound like the new version once repaired but luckily that did not happen. I am willing to give the Krell one more try than to risk trading it in for something I will regret.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

It will of course depend on what they find. I do like the amp and have never regretted buying it due to the sound of the S-300i. I hope to gain a little dependability with this repair. I do not like bright or warm amps and this has always been just right for me. Selling it and buying another that may not be to my liking over time would be a problem.

Years ago I had a Rotel RA970BX that was great and needed repair. They loaned me a RA971BX and it was horribly bright. I was fearful my RA970BX would sound like the new version once repaired but luckily that did not happen. I am willing to give the Krell one more try than to risk trading it in for something I will regret.
    There is always that fear and the subsequent buyers remorse. We've seen that with Blackraven's DAC search. Mr. Peabody's purchase of Zu Audio Omen (I believe ) speakers that did not work out and I'm sure countless other purchases that didn't work out with other posters. You do have the advantage of knowing what you'll hopefully get back when it is repaired.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

My amp was delivered to Krell this past Wednesday. I hope they really examine it. Of course with the possibility of individual parts failures I know it can develop problems again. I am just glad Krell is standing behind it and it did not damage my speakers. If they wanted to send me a new unit that would be okay. I almost wish I had the money to trade up to the Vanguard.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

No news from Krell yet. I want them to take their time and go over the amp completely but I also wanted it yesterday. I miss my toys when they are away. The Onkyo is not up to Krell standards.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Trying to enjoy music. Easy to do with the Krell but tougher with the Onkyo. One day I need to listen to another Class D amp to see if what troubles me about the Onkyo is typical with Class D designs. I have even been thinking about a budget integrated amp as a back up for the Krell and selling the Onkyo. Of course I hope the Krell comes back trouble free.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Not all Class D amps sound the same. I have heard some good ones and bad ones.

NuForce Model 9se v2's sound great as do the Bel Canto's that I have heard.

Hopefully you will get the Krell back soon.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP