Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Dustin is a hot white boy Dustin_Broke's Avatar

New Sherwood receiver info

Since I got a good deal on a new Sherwood receiver model RX-4109 I would like to know if this receiver is capeable of 4 ohms speakers. Eatherway I will be using 8 ohms since the Control ONE is rated that but I was wondering if I had the Control 1 still would that of worked find on this receiver. I just wonder if there are people here that has used this receiver and hooked up a pair of 4 ohms speakers to it.

Thanks

I assume there are people here that have tried this receiver and used a pair of 4 ohms speakers on it so I wanted to know if the receiver worked fine without overheating like the other receivers I had that were used.

Also this is a modern receiver so I thought maybe it will allow 4 ohms speakers unlike the old ones I have.

Enough with the Sherwood, Spanky.

Read the owners manual. Particularly the part about connecting speakers. It's on page 6 of the 4105 manual, dunno about the 4109 manual though.

You're not gonna like it. You really didn't learn a damn thing over the past two weeks, did you?

Good luck...

I didn't learn about what thing? About knowing how to use 4 ohms speaker on the receivers I had before? I know that the other receivers I had before will work as long as I don't have it too loud right? Since when you have it loud that's when it stresses the amp. But normal or mid volume will work fine. That's what pretty much everyone said about it.
    Last edited by Dustin_Broke; 07-10-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin_Broke View Post
    I didn't learn about what thing? About knowing how to use 4 ohms speaker on the receivers I had before? I know that the other receivers I had before will work as long as I don't have it too loud right? Since when you have it loud that's when it stresses the amp. But normal or mid volume will work fine.
    So, since you knew that already, why did you have to ask it again?

But I beleve that this new receiver should handle and speakers since it's modern and I heard that Sherwood is a good company and been out for 58 years and made good amps and receivers.

At least from the people I talked to said that Sherwood is a good company also.

You've answered your own question, now just drop it before we start making fun of you again and you have another hissy fit. Or do you really like that?

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    You've answered your own question, now just drop it before we start making fun of you again and you have another hissy fit. Or do you really like that?
    Looks like you have your own version of "Pixelthis". Have fun with it, I certainly do.......LOL
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Also is the amp a class a/b type?

What does discrete amplifer stage mean? I just wonder what difference does it make because of it. It doesn't say what that means on the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    Looks like you have your own version of "Pixelthis". Have fun with it, I certainly do.......LOL
    Hey, I'm not selfish. Anybody can beat on him. I'm open to sharing.

Also is this receiver really a 105 watt per channel receiver? It says on the box it is but I don't know if it is really 105 watts or 100 watts. Some specs say it's 105 watts and some say it's 100 watts.
    Last edited by Dustin_Broke; 07-10-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Also some say the THD is less than 0.20% but then I see it says the THD is 0.04% from 20hz to 20kHz 100 watts which is alot less than 0.20%. Also some specs say that it's 0.08% THD from 20hz to 20kHz 100 watts. It just says so many things on the manual that sounds confusing.

Basicly I need to know what spec is the true THD and watts per channel. I see some specs like on the box say that it's 105 watts per channel.

Suspended
    OK, I'll play cause I'm bored.

It is true that if you do a search on the specs of this toy receiver, you will get conflicting results. However, the majority of results has the following which by the process of "most people say one thing" I came to the conclusion that the results that more often than not had the same exact specs that I would believe that the majority was right.

These were the specs that came up in the majority of results from a simple Google search
    Sound Output Mode Stereo
    Signal-To-Noise Ratio 90 dB
    Output Power / Total 210 Watt
    Input Sensitivity 200 mV
    Amplifier Output Details 105 Watt - 8 Ohm - THD 0.9 % - 2 channel(s) ( Main )

Below are the specs that came up in most results of a simple Google Search which I think are true but maybe I should ask this on multiple message boards just in case that the majority of concurring results from a google search all agreed on the same thing except for one result that said 100Watts and .02%THD which we all know is horse pucky because the majority of results from a simple Google search all said that these specs below were the right ones
    Sound Output Mode Stereo
    Input Sensitivity 200 mV

Now not believing that two identical Google searches could possibly provide me with any conclusion that if only one or two results from a simple Google search said one thing while 3467000000000 other results had the following specs, I did a 3rd Google search for the exact same information. While I did that, I asked the same question on seven other message boards because I did not believe that three identical Google searches giving me the same results every time I tried could possibly be right and I was still confused because most people said that the specs were this
    Sound Output Mode Stereo
    Input Sensitivity 200 mV

While only one other person said the specs were 100WPC and .02%THD I thought I would ask again.

Dusty-Spanky-Hot White Boy, Although I am glad you have finally made the step from a Laptop with 1" speakers, unfortunately your new Sherwood is will produce enough distortion to blow out good speakers let alone you Extreme whatever they are speakers.

You need not worry if the unit is 100 or 105 WPC because they are both a lie and would only put that out for a brief second if it even could. At best, you will be using between 1 and 40 watts at most listening times but at .2%THD it will still sound quite crude and irritating.

When you get a couple hundred more dollars and are able to take advice, we might just be able to put something together for you that will play loud, be able to reproduce bass, and not sound like an AM radio playing inside of a metal trash can.

Meanwhile, my las Google search on the Sherwood Specs is in and while one or two results said 100wpc and .08%THD, the other 3467000000000 results still said
    Sound Output Mode Stereo
    Input Sensitivity 200 mV

But, I'm still not sure so......

Well I did e-mail Sherwood techs and they should reply back to me so I will find out soon which is the right answer but I think that it is 105 watts per channel since most say it is. I also e-mailed and asked if they know how to reset the receiver to default settings.

I read this somewhere on a different forums that I googled but something said that they had the volume almost to 56 for 6 hours and had no problem and didn't sound distorted so I beleve this receiver is very low on the THD. Now of cource higher end receiver might have lower THD but this receiver is way less than 1%. Btw the receivers volume starts from 0-63 and 63 is the max. That guy also said he had it around 56 for 6 hours and it didn't overheat when connecting a pair of 8 ohms speakers. Now that guy did also say that if you connect speakers like 4 ohms it will goto protection mode if you have the volume set higher than 40. So at 40 is the highest you can go with a 4 ohm speakers. Kinda strange since I thought this receiver can handle 4 ohms easily since it's modern.

Oh ya I forgot to tell you guys I did purchase a 2 year service plan from Radio Shack so if something goes wrong within 2 years I would get my money back I paid for the receiver plus tax.

Now some guys might agree with the other guy that said on a different forums or some of you guys won't. But overall it's pretty hard to tell what it the true facts. But all I know is that guy had the volume to 56 for 6 hours and he said it sounded very good and also the amp didn't goto protection mode with his 8 ohms speakers. He had big 3 way speakers so they are powerful ones. Basicly if you had 4 ohms speakers then the highest you can go it 40. Again volume on this receiver is 0-63 and 63 being max. The RX-4105 is the same type of receiver and amp but just has less features. That's what Sherwood said I remember when I asked them while back.

But I hope to get a reply for the Watts per channel and the THD and also how to reset the amp.

Suspended
    Well I did e-mail Sherwood techs and they should reply back to me so I will find out soon which is the right answer but I think that it is 105 watts per channel since most say it is. I also e-mailed and asked if they know how to reset the receiver to default settings.

I read this somewhere on a different forums that I googled but something said that they had the volume almost to 56 for 6 hours and had no problem and didn't sound distorted so I beleve this receiver is very low on the THD. Now of cource higher end receiver might have lower THD but this receiver is way less than 1%. Btw the receivers volume starts from 0-63 and 63 is the max. That guy also said he had it around 56 for 6 hours and it didn't overheat when connecting a pair of 8 ohms speakers. Now that guy did also say that if you connect speakers like 4 ohms it will goto protection mode if you have the volume set higher than 40. So at 40 is the highest you can go with a 4 ohm speakers. Kinda strange since I thought this receiver can handle 4 ohms easily since it's modern.
    In case you missed math class, .9% is NOT way less than 1%, it is .1% different. Better equipment specs have a zero or two in there somewhere like .007%, which IS way less than 1%.

Secondly, Modern has nothing to do with whether or not a receiver or amp can drive 4ohm speakers. That is a manufacturer decision and design preference in order to drive certain speakers that may or may not be a better match. My Stratos amp can drive a 2ohm load and barely get hot enough to melt an ice cube, but it was designed that way. My Counterpoint and Hafler amps can also drive a 4ohm load. My Integra HT unit is driving 4ohm rears without a problem....BUT, your Sherwood is not designed to drive a 4ohm load regardless of what year it was made. At $79 dollars on Amazon, it is just a toy radio and most of the specs are just plain bullcr@p.

Now, in this post you say you bought a NEW unit but in your latest post you say it is a Floor Model or Demo unit, which makes it NOT NEW but USED with a warranty.

Here is how you can tell.

NEW = in a sealed box and never been opened, plugged in, played background music in a store, or floor model

USED=been opened, plugged in, played background music in a store, or floor model

Do you understand that? If not, there is not much we can do for you here.

Well on my owners manual it says that 8 ohms 20hz to 20kHz 100 watt per channel 0.04% THD and that is alot less than 1%. Also it said that the same thing but 105 watts per channel at 0.08% THD. But if this is right then that means it is alot less than 1% THD so that's good.

About the receiver should I return it and get a brand new boxed one and pay $15 more? Or is this receiver I had is fine? I do remember the people at the Radio Shack store said that this receiver was never turn up loud so it's never been stressed and it's better than buying from Goodwill since at least you know this has been well taken cared of.

But if I should exchange with a new one and that would be better than I can do that easily. But I thought that this receiver is like new since no one took it home and it was just played very low background music.

Oh ya I forgot to tell you guys I did purchase a 2 year service plan from Radio Shack so if something goes wrong within 2 years I would get my money back I paid for the receiver plus tax.
    Sherwood receivers come standard with a 2 year manufacturers warranty as part of the original purchase price. No, you didn't extend it for another two years and it doesn't cover abuse. If it breaks, I believe they will only repair or replace it, not refund money.

But, let's be serious, shall we? You'll get rid of this before the season changes anyway. In ths past month you'v egone throufh a Sony AVR and a Kenwood. What makes you think this will be any different?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post

But, let's be serious, shall we? You'll get rid of this before the season changes anyway. In ths past month you'v egone throufh a Sony AVR and a Kenwood. What makes you think this will be any different?

LOL, you beat me to this one. I thought about it but by morning you already nailed it.

Charm Thai™
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    Exactly...hopefully he's like Pixelthis (who can take a joke) and not like Ajani who cries to the mods relentlessly and sucks the fun out of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    LOL, you beat me to this one. I thought about it but by morning you already nailed it.
    Actually, that would be a mistake.

For what it is, it's a decent receiver for a non-sophisticated user who wants simplicity and decent sound. I've got three friends using these (well, the 4105, same thing less phono stage), one for more years than I can remember driving a pair of Advent Jade Towers. Another uses little Polk bookshelves and their ratty PSW-10 sub. Got that Sherwood/Polk system for $280, including tax. The third is using old Fisher boxes from an 80's rack system. Considering the speakers and their intended uses, the music doesn't drive us screaming from the house, even at decent levels, particularly those Advents.

All in all, a decent performer, particularly considering the going price is under $90, NIB, with a two year manufacturers warranty.

If Spanky has any brains at all (debatable), he'll save his money, get decent speakers, and lie low for a while. He could be in a good place if he uses his head here.
    Last edited by markw; 07-11-2011 at 08:05 AM.

Well I talked to one of the employs at Radio Shack and they said that within 2 years if something goes wrong they will give you a gift card for the amount you paid plus tax you paid and then you can buy anything with that gift card so you can buy the receiver again if you want to.

Also the reason why I wanted to buy this receiver is since it's current and new compaird to used ones I get at Goodwill. Also when you buy something at Goodwill most of the time the remote is missing and manual, cables, antennas, etc. I wanted something that have everything and nothin missing.

But I need to know that is it best that I get a unopened receiver or is the one I have will last a long time like new ones? Since at least you know it's not defective since it's been used as a background music for a year and half. But if it's still better to buy new then maybe I should exchange with a new one.

Suspended
    Well I talked to one of the employs at Radio Shack and they said that within 2 years if something goes wrong they will give you a gift card for the amount you paid plus tax you paid and then you can buy anything with that gift card so you can buy the receiver again if you want to.

Also the reason why I wanted to buy this receiver is since it's current and new compaird to used ones I get at Goodwill. Also when you buy something at Goodwill most of the time the remote is missing and manual, cables, antennas, etc. I wanted something that have everything and nothin missing.

But I need to know that is it best that I get a unopened receiver or is the one I have will last a long time like new ones? Since at least you know it's not defective since it's been used as a background music for a year and half. But if it's still better to buy new then maybe I should exchange with a new one.
    You can buy this item NEW for $87. Not sure what you paid at RS with your $15 discount.

Gift Certificates are not much good if you don't need anything from that store and if purchased new, you would have at least the Repair for 2 years but it will cost you 1/3 of the cost just to ship it to a repair center if none are in your area.

For once, YOU will have to decide if it is worth the extra $15 to have a new unit with full MFG Warranty. Nobody here can make that decision for YOU no matter how many times or ways you ask the same question.

Yeah, that service contract was really a good deal, wasn't it?

Here's a Sherwood Service Center Locator. There's four right in Omaha.

Just save your receipt.

So, I wonder what this whole transaction cost the poor boy?

Maybe someday he'll learn to ask first instead of later.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information