Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Need an amp!

Quote Originally Posted by mlenda View Post
    Exactly what the guys at the store said.

Ah! Killed a good portion of the remaining buzz by... whaddya know... taking the damned preamp off of the top of the amp. I placed it there only preliminarily and never meant to leave it there, then forgot about it. I lifted it up and could hear the noise go up and down as I moved it closer and further away from the amp. Duhhhh.

Moved it to a different shelf. Thank god for cable length.

-m
    I should have mentioned that the Class D amps can give off a fair amount of RFI. The CDA that I bought used is in a wooden box and I plan to put it in shielded aluminum chassi. I would have thought that buying a new ready made unit from Class D audio would have proper shielding. I had to separate my amp tuner from each other.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I'm still frustrated by this low output level on the Tube Out line on the DAC.

I'll be playing records through it all night to see if it irons itself out.

-m

EDIT:

Ok, so, another question while I wait for the Grant Fidelity (errr, audio karma.org) moderators give me my account so I can ask them there...

Got myself a subwoofer to bolster the Maggies. It is active -- has its own volume control and low-pass cutoff control. Can be either LFE or L/R inputs, and has phase setting option (0/90/180). What I want: vinyl to both the speakers as well as sub via the TubeDAC-11.

Since the class-D amp only has outputs to the speakers, it's not driving or feeding into (via a pre-out) the subwoofer.

I found that if I go from Line Out to the sub and Tube Out to the amp, this will play both signals just fine -- however with the aforementioned problem that the Tube Out is very weak (for whatever reason). If I instead switch -- Line Out to the amp and Tube Out to the sub -- nothing comes from the sub (probably again because the Tube Out seems to be very weak).

I haven't tried using the DAC Out line, which puts out the signal at full volume and would be ideal for the sub since it has its own volume control. Of course, there's nothing coming from the DAC inside anyways because my input (TT/phono preamp) is analog. So, moot point.
    Last edited by mlenda; 02-09-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    Audio Technica ATPL120
    Bellari VP130
    Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11
    Class-D Audio SDS-254
    Magnepan MMGs

"... and engineers are now officially banned from all future philosophy conferences."

I'm not sure why the tube out is weak. You might consider sending the DAC-11 back for a replacement.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Bah.

Just went to the audiokarma forums to ask the same question. Hopefully a GF rep will respond soon -- they seem to respond there quite quickly.

-m

EDIT:

And whaddya know! I double-whammied them with a post at audiokarma and an email to GF customer service through their website. Ian from GF replied to both the post and the email within about 5 minutes.

His first idea was that the tube was unseated. I verified there was no tube lighting up the guts, so per his advice I took the lid off to expect. Sure enough, the tube was unseated. The pins were in their sockets but not even close to all the way in. Happens during shipping. No other apparent damage inside. Took it out, examined it, re-seated it firmly, and put the lid back on.

Now it's playing at the same levels as the Line Out.

Now that's what I call customer service.

-m
    Last edited by mlenda; 02-10-2012 at 03:18 PM.
    Audio Technica ATPL120
    Bellari VP130
    Class-D Audio SDS-254
    Magnepan MMGs

"... and engineers are now officially banned from all future philosophy conferences."

Glad to hear that you got the problem fixed.

How are things sounding?

How do you like the Martin Logan sub? I am looking at buying a used older ML Dynamo or Abyss sub.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Glad to hear that you got the problem fixed.

How are things sounding?

How do you like the Martin Logan sub? I am looking at buying a used older ML Dynamo or Abyss sub.
    So far, still a little flat and dry. Gotta break through that Maggie ceiling.

I was able to notice a difference when I started using the Tube Out on the TubeDAC. It was a little warmer, but the starkest contrast is something I haven't been able to put my finger on yet... looking for a thesaurus here.

I feel that I'm now breaking into the limits of my turntable. It can't quite keep up with the extreme ends of the high spectrum -- still a little hiss. Sometimes the record is to blame, but there's still a consistent hiss on the real high stuff from time to time.

Biggest difference? Sound stage. After I put a new record on and walk the 12 or so feet back around to my desk, where I listen, right when I sit in my chair, I hit that sweet spot and it sounds like it's coming from all directions. You can literally reach out and touch the musician, it feels so everywhere and so close at the same time.

ONce the Maggies warm up and the tubes in the Bellari and TubeDAC get some burn-in, it'll be gorgeous. Next up: replace that TT!

So far I've demoed a lot of vinyl and have made used of the optical in on the TubeDAC. I played a little (mp3) of Andy Mckee, an acoustic guitarist -- wow! Then some Jonny Lang and Stevie Ray Vaughan -- wow!

The ML Dynamo is exactly what the guy at GNP Audio said: Fast. I remember my old amp with my old surround system, which was muddy and slow to respond. I'm surprised I can actually hear the difference. The Dynamo really pops and picks up everything extremely quickly. It's placement is not the best quite yet and it sounds a little overwhelming even at low volumes and a low cutoff frequency.

I'm still figuring out where to put it and what to set the phase at.

-m
    Audio Technica ATPL120
    Bellari VP130
    Class-D Audio SDS-254
    Magnepan MMGs

I would set the sub at 50hz and the volume should be turned down till you can barely tell it is there and then turn it down just a little more. The sub should disappear. People run into problems with them because they have them too loud.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular

need help, too

Hi. First, I can't figure out how to ask an original question, so I am posting here. Can someone tell me how to make an original post?

My tuner/receiver is dying because I hooked my Zune up to it. The zune required too much power, and my receiver is nearly dead.

So, I am looking to upgrade, preferably by buying used equipment. I don't know much about stereo equipment, but I have an audiophile's ear, so would appreciate good guidance. My budget is extremely low. I am looking on ebay and craigslist.

I heard a new, $4000 Marantz amp and was completely blown away. I would like to approach that as much as possible. (It was the amp, not the speakers--heard an onkyo on same speakers, and it was a big "So what.") So, I keep looking toward Marantz. I like warm sound, bass, cannot stand speakers that are in the high range, which most seem to be. I listen mostly to classical music.

If I buy a used amp, does it need to be refurbished in any way? Do they wear out? How much does refurbishing cost? What about Marantz PM-7000 . I do not have home theater.

Given the zune problem, should I buy a pre-amp? Also, will I be able to hook my zune up to older amps? Will the zune wear out a pre-amp, too?

Finally, I would sincerely appreciate recommmendations on brands and models.

If someone could post this as a separate post, I would appreciate that, too.
    Thank you.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    In order to reduce spam, we require a new member to post 5 times before starting a thread. Since you've now made your fifth post, you should be able to start a new thread of you own.

And welcome to Audio Review!

Quote Originally Posted by lindalou View Post
    Hi. First, I can't figure out how to ask an original question, so I am posting here. Can someone tell me how to make an original post?

My tuner/receiver is dying because I hooked my Zune up to it. The zune required too much power, and my receiver is nearly dead.

So, I am looking to upgrade, preferably by buying used equipment. I don't know much about stereo equipment, but I have an audiophile's ear, so would appreciate good guidance. My budget is extremely low. I am looking on ebay and craigslist.

I heard a new, $4000 Marantz amp and was completely blown away. I would like to approach that as much as possible. (It was the amp, not the speakers--heard an onkyo on same speakers, and it was a big "So what.") So, I keep looking toward Marantz. I like warm sound, bass, cannot stand speakers that are in the high range, which most seem to be. I listen mostly to classical music.

If I buy a used amp, does it need to be refurbished in any way? Do they wear out? How much does refurbishing cost? What about Marantz PM-7000 . I do not have home theater.

Given the zune problem, should I buy a pre-amp? Also, will I be able to hook my zune up to older amps? Will the zune wear out a pre-amp, too?

Finally, I would sincerely appreciate recommmendations on brands and models.

If someone could post this as a separate post, I would appreciate that, too.
    Thank you.
    If you like a warm sound and the sound of Marantz then I would stick with Marantz. I like the Marantz sound too. Even their CD players have the warm Marantz sound. I would also give a listen to NAD as well.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular

Marantz or Creek

I have an opportunity to buy one of the following: a Marantz SR7400 for $275 (or less, if I can talk him down) or a Creek CAS 4140 for $150 from an audio store. The guy at the audio store says Marantz isn't what they used to be. I don't have home theater, am buying this to listen to classical music and the radio (with other genres thrown into the mix, of course). What would be your recommendation?

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Pioneer PD-D6MK2-K Class D AMP 700$

If you are handy and could do some basic wiring you could get one of these kits that would smoke the amps that you are looking at but you will need a preamp-

Class D Audio Build Your Own Class D Audio CDA Series Amplifier - Class D Amp Kits - Complete Amplifiers
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP