Forum Regular

Cambridge Audio Azure 340A vs. Rotel Ra-02

I found what I think is a passable deal on both, I was wondering how the Azure stacks up against the rotel as its about 150 bucks cheaper (canadian) ? Is 240 canadian even reasonable for this at "new" condition but from an individual?

THanks for any help

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I've liked every Cambridge Audio amp I've heard, which admittedly isn't many. I own a few Rotels so I'll vouch for them. While I might prefer Rotel, I think the 340A would probably give 90% of the performance or more and save you some cash in the meantime. I think the 340a's go for around $250 US new, so $240 Cdn isn't too bad saving roughly $100 plus the tax....is the warranty transferrable?

Forum Regular
    Hi,

Well, I was ebaying for both of the amps, and given that I'd heard the rotels before, i figured that that was the safest bet. I think it was probly a better deal to... the dealer in canada I talked to said aobut 800 after tax while this one cost about 420 after taxes/shipping.

So, thanks for the help and for vouching for rotel. Always good to hear I didn't make a bad choice.

-CHris

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jucas
    Hi,

Well, I was ebaying for both of the amps, and given that I'd heard the rotels before, i figured that that was the safest bet. I think it was probly a better deal to... the dealer in canada I talked to said aobut 800 after tax while this one cost about 420 after taxes/shipping.

So, thanks for the help and for vouching for rotel. Always good to hear I didn't make a bad choice.

-CHris
    Chris,

I just want to make you aware that the Rotel amp you are talking about is an Integrated Amp rather than just a Power Amp as we had discussed in the other thread awhile back. Basically, an Intergrated Amp is a Receiver without the AM/FM Tuner section. So what I'm getting at is... there is really no reason to buy an Integrated Amp to connect to your Receiver as you will just be duplicating 90% of the functionality of the Receiver with an Integrated amp. It would make sense to REPLACE the Receiver with an Integrated Amp, IF the amplifier section were more powerful (as this is what you were seeking) and listening to radio broadcasts was not a priority. You also want to make sure that you don't lose any of the functionality you need and currently have with the HK Receiver, like phono input, sub out, etc...

Anyway, if connecting an amp to your receiver is still the way you want to go, you should be looking into buying a Power Amp, not a Integrated Amp -- otherwise just replace the Receiver with an Intergrated Amp or another Receiver that meets all of the requirements you have. Make sense? I hope so.

Q

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Quagmire
    Chris,

Basically, an Intergrated Amp is a Receiver without the AM/FM Tuner section. So what I'm getting at is... there is really no reason to buy an Integrated Amp to connect to your Receiver as you will just be duplicating 90% of the functionality of the Receiver with an Integrated amp. It would make sense to REPLACE the Receiver with an Integrated Amp, IF the amplifier section were more powerful (as this is what you were seeking) and listening to radio broadcasts was not a priority. You also want to make sure that you don't lose any of the functionality you need and currently have with the HK Receiver, like phono input, sub out, etc...
    Q
    In response to Quagmire's post, I think it important mention that an Integrated amp is really more like a separate amp and pre-amp in one box...generally much higher quality than a receiver. The most overlooked component is the pre-amp section, which is equally as imporant as the amplification stage. Receivers usually fall short in this area. Integrateds offer you the separate sound quality in a convenient package, a bit different than a receiver. Companies like H/K build their "integrateds" with the same components they use in their receivers, Rotel puts the components from their separates into their integrateds and receivers...a bit different.
    Basically, a Rotel would be a good upgrade in the amp and pre-amp stage over an H/K (though I'm not sure how much power you think you need).

If you just want more power, than Q is absolutely right, power-amps are the way to go. If you want better sound quality, you'll likely get much more of it from the integrated.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the responses... I kinda figured the same about the quality of integrateds and recievers. That and space were both huge considerations, and I'm pretty sure that the 40 watts from the rotel should be more than enough.

-Chris

Thread Information