Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Blew up the Krell S-300i

Back to the service department again. The bi-wire pair of the AlphaCore MI1's proved to be too much a load for the amp and it shut down. It will not power back up so off to Krell it goes.

They will repair it under warranty unless it is something catastrophic. I was honest in how the failure happened and I am pleased that they are going to treat it as a warranty repair unless it is a real mess.

AlphaCore is sending me resistive links to use with the cables when the amp comes back. Both companies have been very helpful.

The Onkyo A-9555 is once again my integrated amp of choice or should I say only choice.

Has anyone else blown up any good amps lately?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post

It might be a little early to laugh about a man's equipment. Luclily there was no smoke so no curtains were harmed in the conflagration.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 07-12-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Back to the service department again. The bi-wire pair of the AlphaCore MI1's proved to be too much a load for the amp and it shut down. It will not power back up so off to Krell it goes.

They will repair it under warranty unless it is something catastrophic. I was honest in how the failure happened and I am pleased that they are going to treat it as a warranty repair unless it is a real mess.

AlphaCore is sending me resistive links to use with the cables when the amp comes back. Both companies have been very helpful.

The Onkyo A-9555 is once again my integrated amp of choice or should I say only choice.

Has anyone else blown up any good amps lately?
    Surely this isn't what we expect of a Krell amp. I don't see that the bi-wire AlphaCores should be enough lower in impedance to bother a Krell.

Class D amps are generally quite tolerant of speaker (& cable) loads, so hopefully that applies to the Onkyo.

Hopefully the repair will be a snap, so to speak.
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Surely this isn't what we expect of a Krell amp. I don't see that the bi-wire AlphaCores should be enough lower in impedance to bother a Krell.

Class D amps are generally quite tolerant of speaker (& cable) loads, so hopefully that applies to the Onkyo.

Dan D'Agostino was a big fan of AlphaCore and asked them to create the largest ribbon cables. I knew they could create problems with some amps but I did not expect it with a Krell. Of course I do know it was for his huge mono amps and the integrated amps are not built to that level. The S-300i is a beautiful in it's neutrality kind of amp.

I will not try the bi-wire cables until I have the resistive elements to eliminate this problem.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssJazz View Post
    Hopefully the repair will be a snap, so to speak.

Thanks, from a zap to a snap. What is interesting was that it was not on long enough for the case to even get warm.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    John, I'm sorry you're having to suffer through the inconvenience. I'll be raising a glass in hopes of much luck in a speedy repair. I know the Onkyo is capable but far from preferred.

Cheers
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

RGA
    Forum Regular
    You're really not selling Krell to me. The sound never sold me but I was under the impression they could drive anything - isn't that the whole point of them?

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    You're really not selling Krell to me. The sound never sold me but I was under the impression they could drive anything - isn't that the whole point of them?

Thanks for being your warm self. I like the sound and will miss that amp. Have you heard the S-300i?
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    John, I'm sorry you're having to suffer through the inconvenience. I'll be raising a glass in hopes of much luck in a speedy repair. I know the Onkyo is capable but far from preferred.

Cheers

Thanks bobsticks. I truly enjoy the S-300i and while the Onkyo is a good int. amp for it's cost it is not as focused or as neutral as the Krell. I miss the tight controlled bass from the Krell as opposed to the loose bass of the Onkyo.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Thanks bobsticks. I truly enjoy the S-300i and while the Onkyo is a good int. amp for it's cost it is not as focused or as neutral as the Krell. I miss the tight controlled bass from the Krell as opposed to the loose bass of the Onkyo.
    So many puns can be made from this one, but in respect for your failed amp, I'll just wish it a speedy recovery.

Hope you get your Krell friend back home soon.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Puns? Jokes? I don't see it.

Who doesn't enjoy a nice, controlled bass rather than loose, sloppy bass...?

I've spent a lot of money to get nice, controllable bass...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    Puns? Jokes? I don't see it.

Who doesn't enjoy a nice, controlled _ass rather than loose, sloppy _ass...?

I've spent a lot of money to get nice, controllable _ass...
    Not sure what I was thinking.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael View Post
    So many puns can be made from this one, but in respect for your failed amp, I'll just wish it a speedy recovery.

Hope you get your Krell friend back home soon.

FA made me laugh and now I need some GM humor to get me through my time without the Krell. My amp might have been made in China but it is being slowly rebuilt in the USA.

I look forward to carrying it down a flight of stairs to the car. The same flight of stairs I fall down for my concussion. Of course the dog will be in his room so I should make it okay.

I am already tired of the Onkyo.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Charm Thai™
    I was thinking the exact same thing RGA! Frankly the idea of Krell even making integrated amps seems to conflict with the reasoning a consumer would purchase a Krell in the first place. Historically when I hear Krell I think of big brutish amps driving grueling loads. I feel the same way about Martin Logan making speakers other than electrostats...maybe i like to pigeon-hole manufacturers too much.

Hope you get you get your gear back sooner than later JM.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I'm not trying to be mean JohnMichael but I have always felt that Krell was an amplifier that people buy based on name brand appeal more than any real merit for sound quality. Beating an Onkyo isn't exactly a feather in the cap.

I have read very unremarkable things, talked to dealers who have sold Krell all of whom were very luke-warm to cold to them, and I have never heard a system using a Krell that offered good sound - ever. I personally do not understand the appeal of anything I've ever heard from them and I've heard their top models so if they don't cut it I can't see an integrated improving on their top of the line mega priced separates.

The one thing though is despite my reservation on the sound that they looked to be built well so I basically lumped them in with Bryston. But I am not so sure after reading several forums that they're built all that well against Bryston and they cost a lot more money.

Of course it sucks that it broke and of course it's good that Krell is fixing it (but according to you that is a maybe right now). I guess I just don't see their appeal and your particular unit seems to be a bit of a lemon. If it were me and once fixed I'd be selling it before the next problem arises.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing RGA! Frankly the idea of Krell even making integrated amps seems to conflict with the reasoning a consumer would purchase a Krell in the first place. Historically when I hear Krell I think of big brutish amps driving grueling loads. I feel the same way about Martin Logan making speakers other than electrostats...maybe i like to pigeon-hole manufacturers too much.

Hope you get you get your gear back sooner than later JM.

Thanks I hope I get it back soon. I really love the sound of it. I somewhat agree about Krell and their huge mono amps but that is not why I bought the S-300i. I wanted an amp that could drive any speaker I could afford. Having lived with it since 8/2009 the sound has really grown on me. Or should I say the absence of sound. My previous amps were a little colored or had electronic artifacts that creates listener fatigue. The S-300i just does it all well for the price.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    JM, sorry your baby crapped the bed and I hope it comes back fast.

Is it possible that they hosed something up when they had it back recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    JM, sorry your baby crapped the bed and I hope it comes back fast.

Is it possible that they hosed something up when they had it back recently?

I do not know but it sounded really good when it came home. It was weird because there was no sound in the left channel. Then it shut itself down.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    I just lost the left front amp in my HK635 but it's not worth fixing.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    It happens. The first time i connected speaker cables (bare wire) to my acurus power amp it not only blew out an amp channel it blew a tweeter in one of my speaks. Had to send both out for repair. Klipsch/acurus blamed me and i had to pay. Acoustic energy fixed the speaker under warranty. Good luck. Hope you're up and running again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    It happens. The first time i connected speaker cables (bare wire) to my acurus power amp it not only blew out an amp channel it blew a tweeter in one of my speaks. Had to send both out for repair. Klipsch/acurus blamed me and i had to pay. Acoustic energy fixed the speaker under warranty. Good luck. Hope you're up and running again soon.

Krell is stepping up. I just receives my return authorization number and their assurance it would be repaired under warranty.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Wow you are still trying to make me feel better, how sweet. I do like the amp and I have lived with it almost 3 years now. If there was anything I did not like about it I could not live with it listening to music several hours a day. I may have been attracted to the name but I do love the sound.

The amp was sent back for repair due to some noise in the right channel. The amp would still play but when I asked Krell they wanted me to send it in and they found a problem. The second time was my choice of cables. We will not know what happened until the amp has been serviced.

I'm not trying to be mean JohnMichael but I have always felt that Krell was an amplifier that people buy based on name brand appeal more than any real merit for sound quality. Beating an Onkyo isn't exactly a feather in the cap.

I have read very unremarkable things, talked to dealers who have sold Krell all of whom were very luke-warm to cold to them, and I have never heard a system using a Krell that offered good sound - ever. I personally do not understand the appeal of anything I've ever heard from them and I've heard their top models so if they don't cut it I can't see an integrated improving on their top of the line mega priced separates.

The one thing though is despite my reservation on the sound that they looked to be built well so I basically lumped them in with Bryston. But I am not so sure after reading several forums that they're built all that well against Bryston and they cost a lot more money.

Of course it sucks that it broke and of course it's good that Krell is fixing it (but according to you that is a maybe right now). I guess I just don't see their appeal and your particular unit seems to be a bit of a lemon. If it were me and once fixed I'd be selling it before the next problem arises.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Charm Thai™
    Krell is stepping up. I just receives my return authorization number and their assurance it would be repaired under warranty.
    Hey JM are you going through a local dealer or did you contact Krell yourself?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information