Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

By request "a friend's looking for help in deciding on a setup."

Emotiva XPA-2 vs Cerwin Vega CXA-8

I have a pair of Cerwin Vega CLS 215.

The Harman Kardon AVR 7000 receiver I had been using to power them finally bit the dust. The speakers were probably too much for it, but it did the job for three or four years. Therefore, I'm in the market for something else to run them. Though the 215s handle 400 watts each, I thought they sounded really good with the 110 watts rms that the Kardon delivered to each. However, I'm now thinking of stepping up the wattage to the full 400. I hear they'll sound worlds better.

I also have a Cerwin Vega center speaker, but I was thinking of setting that aside and using a two tower setup. So, to power my towers, I figured I'd go with either the Emotiva XPA-2 or the Cerwin Vega CXA-8. They cost the same amount and each give off similar power, the CXA-8 a little more. I know little about this subject matter and would appreciate any input.

Also, I was planning on purchasing the Emotiva USP-1 for my pre amp, and the Emotiva XDA-1 for a DAC, so that I can use the stereo setup for my home theater too. At least, I believe this DAC will enable me to hook the system to my Panasonic TC-P50U50 plasma television.

As I mentioned, I don't know a whole lot about audio systems. I just like good sound. Therefore, all the input y'all can give me will be greatly appreciated. Feel free to also offer alternatives, if you feel there are better products similarly priced for my system. I anxiously await being able to hear music from my 215s. These computer speakers ain't cuttin' it!

Thanks

TAsedlak

I was asked to post this through PM.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Emotiva XPA-2 vs Cerwin Vega CXA-8
    One factor might quickly determine the answer. Note the power requirement for the C-V in their specs:

CXA-8 Specs

Does your friend have a nearby dryer or oven power outlet that he can split?

I confess that I'm not a fan of pro amps for use with anything other than subs. The Emotiva is a conventional class AB amp that weighs twice as much and doesn't require fans. My XPA-5 has proven to be reliable and decent soundng.

JM, is the person who asked you to post for him located in Europe? The specs for the amp are for 240V AC @ 50Hz.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

I would think that these two amps would be in different leagues all together. The Cerwin amp is just a pro sound amp that they switched the inputs from balanced to rca and the Emotiva amp is a purpose built home audio amplifier for use in home audio. Now I usually do not like Vega speakers but I have heard the 215's sound very good for the type of speakers that they are built to be (high volume rock out speakers). So I would look at the smoother and more musical of the two amps that he is looking at which in my opinion would be the Emotiva. But that is my opinion.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Thread Information