AR Newbie Registered Member

What power amp & surround processor for $4000?

I have 4 B&W CDM 9NT speakers with a B&W center speaker and I want to buy a good power amp and processor for both music and movies. I Have a Yamaha DVD/CD player with DVD-A, that's doing the job right now. I am looking at the Rotel RMB-1095 power amp with the RSP-1068 processor. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your input

Suspended
    It's sad to say but for $4k The Rotel combo is about the best bang for the buck. The Primare surround integrated at about $4k is definitely worth considering. I say sad because $4k is a lot of scratch and not many options. For slightly over $4k you could get the Anthem processor and power amp. I'm not real up to date on Roksan but they may also have a combo in your price range. You could get some Adcom for your price but everything I already mentioned would be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by marvinluke
    I have 4 B&W CDM 9NT speakers with a B&W center speaker and I want to buy a good power amp and processor for both music and movies. I Have a Yamaha DVD/CD player with DVD-A, that's doing the job right now. I am looking at the Rotel RMB-1095 power amp with the RSP-1068 processor. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your input
    I have the 7NT's and they seem to have a great synergy with my PS Audio HCA2. Paul McGowan of PSA is introducing a modular >250 wpc HCA any month now (currently in beta testing) that will allow 5, 6, or 7 channel of amplification by simply plugging in another channel, each with it's own dedicated power supply. Sounds very slick but I have a feeling it's going to be pretty steep. I can say that the HCA2 sounded better than any Rotel I auditioned.

Parasound makes some very nice stuff that should fit into your price range. I'd also consider B&K, Conrad/Johnson, or Aragon. If you go used, you'll get a lot more bang for your buck so check out audiogon or ebay. Most audiophiles are pretty anal about their gear and it seems like the guys at a'gon are pretty devoted.

Good luck

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marvinluke
    A friend of mine just sprung for the top-of-the line B&K multichannel amp & processor. I've yet to hear them but they sure look neat on the spec sheet. He's running older B&W Matrix 3's, but my guess is that it's going to be a set of 802's for him real soon.

I blame myself, as it was only a week after lending him my PS Audio amp that he gave his Harmon Kardon receiver the boot!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    I blame myself, as it was only a week after lending him my PS Audio amp that he gave his Harmon Kardon receiver the boot!
    That was a mean, callous thing to do! That's like lending a friend the keys to your 996 when he's got a Hyundai parked in his garage. Tsk, tsk, Geoff...and you call yourself a "friend".

Thread Information