Forum Regular

B&K vs. NAD vs. ATI help me decide

I'm decideing between the NAD C272, the B&K ST 125.2, and ATI AT 1202 amplifiers.
    I haven't listened to any of them yet, but was if they are pretty even as far as sound quality goes, and what type of sound quality they produce. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm also not sure how much the B&K 125.2 costs, so it might be out of my price range of $1000. The B&K does have balanced XLR inputs, and I've heard those are better, but I'm not sure why.

The amp will be used to drive Polk RTi speakers at first, but should be selected for proper matching with Definitive Technology speakers, which will come shortly afterwards. Any advice on those three amps (or any other brand you might suggest) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Whatever sounds best to you.

Quote Originally Posted by stevos2005
    I'm decideing between the NAD C272, the B&K ST 125.2, and ATI AT 1202 amplifiers.
    I haven't listened to any of them yet, but was if they are pretty even as far as sound quality goes, and what type of sound quality they produce. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm also not sure how much the B&K 125.2 costs, so it might be out of my price range of $1000. The B&K does have balanced XLR inputs, and I've heard those are better, but I'm not sure why.

The amp will be used to drive Polk RTi speakers at first, but should be selected for proper matching with Definitive Technology speakers, which will come shortly afterwards. Any advice on those three amps (or any other brand you might suggest) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    I've never heard ATI so I'll just skip them right off the bat. NAD and B&K are both very reputable companies and build fine products. As a former owner of the giant-killer ST140 (the predecessor to the 125.2) I can certainly attest to it's durability. How 'bout 15 years straight without a hitch? The only time I turned it off was to move and the only problem I encountered was a burned-out power switch light. B&K's are warm, kind of tubey sounding amps and have really good bottom ends but can be a bit fuzzy sounding in the highs. They also tend to roll the upper octaves off fairly quickly. NAD's have a cleaner, more neutral sound but not the bass of the B&K. NAD also had some QC problems a few years ago but have apparently addressed this. Rotel amps fall somewhere in the middle and are also very well regarded for the price. You might try Parasound or Odyssey while you're at it.

Hope this helps

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    I've never heard ATI so I'll just skip them right off the bat. NAD and B&K are both very reputable companies and build fine products. As a former owner of the giant-killer ST140 (the predecessor to the 125.2) I can certainly attest to it's durability. How 'bout 15 years straight without a hitch? The only time I turned it off was to move and the only problem I encountered was a burned-out power switch light. B&K's are warm, kind of tubey sounding amps and have really good bottom ends but can be a bit fuzzy sounding in the highs. They also tend to roll the upper octaves off fairly quickly. NAD's have a cleaner, more neutral sound but not the bass of the B&K. NAD also had some QC problems a few years ago but have apparently addressed this. Rotel amps fall somewhere in the middle and are also very well regarded for the price. You might try Parasound or Odyssey while you're at it.

Hope this helps

Thanks.. given that, I probably wouldn't like the B&K. What you said about NAD seems to be what I'm looking for. I definitely don't want a rolled off sound, or very edgy sound. Something clean, neutral, and natural would be perfect. I'm looking for something that'll play the music as it was meant to be heard. It's not really important if the bass isn't so strong, since I'll have Def Tech's with powered subs in all speakers. I really like that feature about them. Also, it's a shame that (at least I don't think) NAD carries a 3-channel amp. That's what I really liked about B&K, but rolled off sound really turns me off. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks a lot.

RGA
    Forum Regular

Thanks!
    Power amps are the safest used purchase you can make - they have very high depreciation so those two together would have me buying a used power amp. You could get a 3-4 year old Bryston for your budget and you would still have the balance of the 20 year warranty. You don't need cards to fill in --- The warranty comes from the model number. The 3bST or possibly the 4bST are in your price range.

B&K has never cracked our market and one dealer told me it was nother Adcom. NAD is a cheaper option with good sound to be sure. Rotel is another good one.

Basically all of this is unknowable untill you hear the componants together. Bryston can sound pretty bad with many a speaker and very good with many a speaker.

Def Tech is not sold in BC as far as I know and I can't say which would be a good match. But Bryston for a Solid State amplifier is probably technically the best available at the price if you require a lot of watts and a very low noise floor. What is best musically will be to people's own tastes - Rotel on that point is often very underrated. But again it depends on the speakers. A brighter speaker may be less adept to take on the Bryston.

And di you consider buying two Bryston 2B LP's and running them as monoblocks? You may be able to swing new ones for close to your budget. The 2B LP is the most popular longest running of all the Bryston Amps and in some circles still considered the best ones. Again it depends on the speaker but running monoblocks of that calibur may be a great option here - and of course the 20 year warranties don't hurt.

Thanks.. given that, I probably wouldn't like the B&K. What you said about NAD seems to be what I'm looking for. I definitely don't want a rolled off sound, or very edgy sound. Something clean, neutral, and natural would be perfect. I'm looking for something that'll play the music as it was meant to be heard. It's not really important if the bass isn't so strong, since I'll have Def Tech's with powered subs in all speakers. I really like that feature about them. Also, it's a shame that (at least I don't think) NAD carries a 3-channel amp. That's what I really liked about B&K, but rolled off sound really turns me off. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks a lot.
    I like RGA's Bryston idea. You should give the B&K's a try because the 125.2 may be more open on the upper end than my ol' ST140. It was an upgrade after all. Rotel could be your best option if you're looking for a 3 channel.

Forum Regular

Talking

I have that B&K amp, it's great. It's warm and has good power. I run Martin Logans on them, with plenty of power to spare. I would say it's a good choice for only $799.00.

my B&K... http://www.kode3.com

Good luck

You can go audition B&K at Tweeter (assuming you are near one), I do not think you will find the new models "rolled off" or overly "tubey". They are better than the comparable NAD, IMO, and I think they cost a bit more watt for watt. Do not at all for a minute think the B&K is dull. I personally own the NAD 2600A 150wpc, and I have spent time with the C270, but I think they are a bit grainy and not quite as refined and focused as comparable B&K. Lets face it, NAD is a decent budget amp, nothing more. B&K is not at all similar to Adcom, I have spent plenty of hours listening to the 125.2 and the Reference 2220. They are very, very good and have a sweetness about them. The 125.2 has a class A input driver and mosfet output devices, here it is for $650 - http://www.downtownaudio.com/bkst1252.html

I am also fond of Rotel, a bit more detailed and less grainy than NAD, IME. NAD does give good image and depth, however.

ATI is a very underrated amp in my view; I know a professional studio tech who has one (I think the 1502) "since he can't afford that Krell" and he is very pleased with it. They are built like Bryston at the price of B&K or Rotel, definately worth auditioning.

A newer Bryston may be your best bet, but lookout for the older (non ST) models; they are said to be overly bright.

They all have different strengths and minor weaknesses, listen to all you can and buy what makes you happy.

Thread Information