Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

What's vintage in your system?

I'm curious.

I run mostly vintage, a Dual 604 TT, Hafler DH-110 pre (maybe not vintage but certainly old), a Sansui TU-217 tuner, and a Marantz 1152dc amp section pushing slightly modified DQ-10s'.

Heck the only modern unit I have is a cd/dvd player, a Philips 951-something or the other.

I have to admit, I'd sure like a remote on the pre, and a good quality cd player, maybe tubed like Justlisten2s'. Other than that, I like my sound.

Anyone?

Pete
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Abraham Lincoln

Forum Regular
    The closest piece that I have to being vintage is a McIntosh MA 6200 Integrated. It's sounds great, but the remote is the only issue! I was thinking of the remote from Space-Tech-Lab but it's pretty expensive. I'm still looking for a high quality alternative.

Audio Enthusiast
    The only items that qualify under the Vintage catagory would be my Dahlquist DQ-10s. Although I do power them with NAD 2155 amplifiers from the same era.

I also run a late 80s Systemdek IIX turntable.

Forum Regular
    Yamaha T-1, they don't make them like they used to.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    My PS Audio IV preamp. With it's seperate high voltage supply, and a true passive mode, for me to find a replacment would cost 1000's. It's also got a audoiphile grade phono preamp that's fully user adjustable with resistors.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

What's vintage in MY system?

My complete 'bedroom' system is vintage. I purchased most of the pieces off of Ebay to replicate my first system I had back in 1978. Nothing fancy, nor particularly great sounding, but brings back fond memories:

Pioneer SX-780 receiver
    Pioneer CT-F700 cassette deck
    Technics SL1800mk2 turntable (Shure V15 Type IV cartridge)
    Quadraflex ST-19 speakers (Pacific Stereo house-brand)

I've also got 2 reel to reel decks. One an Akai, and 1 a Kenwood. Can't remember the model #s off the top of my head though...

I'm also into 'vintage' (if there is such a thing) portable CD players. Sony D-5, D-15, etc.

Jeff

AR Newbie Registered Member

Vintage Sansui

GS 7000 Sansui Receiver and a couple of the old Cerwin Vega HEDS. That's my vintage stuff.

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by andypress
    No they don't, Last year, I "Upgraded" to a multi-channel Digital Home Theater setup. It was fun watching movies but it really took the life and dynamics out of my listening pleasure. In addition, it was fully digital so I lost ability to use my Phono stage and my VCR.

That lasted for 6 months when I finally returned everything back to two channel stereo. I've never looked back. The sound is so much more pleasing to my ear than the multichannel digital.

Most of my equipment is 10-20 years old. And my youngest hardware consists of analog 2CH vacuum tube equipment I assembled from kits.

Got a couple, but the one that sounds best to me has a Marantz 2265B receiver, Teac X1000R reel-to-reel, Dual 1019 table w/Shure cartridge and baby Advent speakers.
    -Dave

Impoverished Music Lover Registered Member
    Original owner of a pair of Advent New Large Utility speakers. A little beat up, but sounding fine in my secondary system. Original woofer surrounds are fine. Bought on sale at Tech Hifi in February of 1978 as my high school graduation present. This system also includes a Technics SLB-20 manual belt drive TT with Stanton 500E pickup from 1986. In my main system, I have a Thorens TD-165 MkII TT I bought new in 1984.

Talking

NAD tuner, preamp and 2200 power envelope amp. Rega 3 turntable. My speaker are custom made folded horns made by a company that does comercial PA applications. My speakers were one-of-a-kind, made by the owner as a hobby and to see if anyone would be willing to use them for home. They are 5 ft tall and have dual 12" woofers, 6 inch driver and 2 inch tweeters. They kick A--!!! A lot of my old album are very good condition, I have done side by side with CD's and MOST poeple will pick the turntable over the CD. I have shopped looking for a new system and just have been able to find anything that comes close.

Vintage gear you say.

Pioneer SX-1250
    Pioneer SX-780
    Sansui G-7700
    Sansui AU-D11II integrated amp w/ Sansui TU-S77X tuner.

Receivers and Integrated amp routed to an Audio Authority model 410 amplifier switcher then out to a pair of Cerwin Vega D-7 speakers (circa 1988).

Dual 506 and Technics SL-230 TT's run thru the SX-1250.

Teac V-2RX (circa 1984) cassette deck runs thru the G-7700. (never used however. In fact, I have no idea where my cassettes are.)

I'm not much of a tuner freak as I rarely listen to the radio anymore.

Primary listening is done from a Sony CDP-C325 5 disc CD player (circa 1991) run thru the AU-D11II integrated.

Sennheiser HD-590 headphones for that intimate experience.

Someday I'd like to upgrade the CD player but this thing just keeps on going and going and going and.........

Darren

Oh, I've got a Sansui G-4500 in the garage for when I'm out there for extended periods of time.
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Smile Has it been that long???

We bought these new when we were newlyweds and still love to listen to them:

Mcintosh C28 Preamp
    Mcintosh MC2105 Amp
    B&O Beogram 3000 Turntable
    AKAI AT-K03 Tuner
    AKAI GXC-760D Cassette Player
    and, the final touch...
    JBL Paragon Speaker System

I love to sit back in the bentwood rocker after a tough day at work and relax in front of the JBL, but it really would be nice to have a remote too...

Darryl

Forum Regular

Yamaha T-1

I've had my Yamaha T-1 since 1978 and have never looked back - or should I say forward! My other vintage stuff from 1978 includes a Quad 405 power amp and Nakamichi 410 pre-amp, all sounding and performing as new. Here's the rest: Thorens mk166 mk2 table (1985), NAD cd (1987), ADS 1230 speakers (1983). I've been tempted to purchase newer equipment but always pull back after realizing that I'm still satisfied.

Lightbulb Vintage Gear

Marantz1530, Sansui 771, Pioneer sx-820 for the receivers and a pair of Braun for the speaker .Pat.P

CuriousReview Browser Registered Member PearlJamTenMan's Avatar

Vintage Equip

I too have a David Hafler DH 110 pre amp and an Adcom GFA-1 pushing full strenght. Together with a Sony SACD player, AudioSource EQ and Onkyo reciever, i get a nice warm surround sound.

Forum Regular
    I had the infinity kappa 9 [very know i think] late 80ties. Also synthese 3 speakers 80ties to. And currently i'm using the b&w 802 s80 with highpass alignment filter. Speaker is from 1980 september 23

I had newer speakers like the infinity reference 11i,Driade 103 mkII [NICEEE],and the big boy Visaton DSM atlas MKII [metric 1m 80cm high] I've come to the conclusion that a speaker build in the 80ties or what the hell 70ties. Are THE BEST products compared to the speakers the build now.

For instance the b&w 802 s80 i bought them for 600euro a pair from a good [audio]friend of my. Just buy for that money a speaker new in the store that can surpassed them i dare yah i DOUBLE dare you all. What i'm trying t say is that a speaker that costed 10000dollars [just a example] ARE MUCH BETTER SOUNDING than then the 10000dollars speakers in this present time. The building quality has been degraded...with the years,offcourse there are better speakers out there than the ones from the 80ties..but you will have to search very hard to get the same quality for the same price.

With other words
    Vintage the best....in my opinion,at those times the build quality...now at this time yeah the do it to for a 25k [figure of speech]

Long story ended just my vision
    Pre-amp: Mcintosh C26
    Poweramp: Mcintosh MC2105
    Source: Sony Xa50es modified
    Dual 503-1 turntable
    Speakers: Magnepan MG1 modified supertweeters.

Furthermore

Audiolab 480 poweramp, Infinity Qe, Sonus Faber Concertino, Dynaco ST80 (RARE) Tubeamplifier.

A lot of old units out there!

Some nice old stereo equipment too .

I looked up that space-tech-lab unit - boy at $680 you're not kidding. Too bad someone didn't come up with a motor unit that you could fit onto the volume shaft. I'd even be willing to have a cabled remote. Are we lazy, just spoiled, or what.

And a real JBL Paragon user? I'd love to hear that beautiful thing play. Does it sound as good as it looks?

Pete
    Abraham Lincoln

BTW, a link to JBL Paragon info:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...bl/paragon.htm

Pete
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by piece-it pete
    What's vintage in your system
    My garage system is mostly vintage, consisting of Double New Advents (late 70s), Threshold Stasis amp ('81), Pioneer TX-6200 tuner (70s), Pioneer PD-54 CDP ('93), Sony Cassette (late 80s) and DIY attenuators.

rw

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I'm another satisfied Yamaha T-1 owner. I also have a Yamaha CT-44 analog tuner that's large with a black faceplate and nice wood case. My guess is it was made for the Canadian market because that's what the box suggests and the similar units selling in the US at the time had silver faceplates.

I also have a Marantz 112 tuner, Akai GXC 730D cassette deck, and Sansui AU-5900 integrated amp at work that make for a nice vintage system. No speakers though. I use a pair of Grado SR-60 headphones. The headphone amp in the Sansui is far better than the one in the preamp in my main 2-ch system at home.

I had a Marantz 6100 turntable I kept around for a backup, but I gave it to my former high school band director and friend. He has a vintage Marantz system with receiver and tape deck that he bought new in the 70s. He already had a 6100, but he always wondered what he would do if it ever died. I thought he deserved a little peace of mind.

Even better in the dark...

A lot of old units out there!

Some nice old stereo equipment too .
    And a real JBL Paragon user? I'd love to hear that beautiful thing play. Does it sound as good as it looks?

Pete
    Howdy Pete,

Yes, the JBL Paragon does sound as good as it looks. In fact, in the right company (Suzanne) and with the right album (like Amad Jamal's "POINCIANA") on the B&O, it sounds even better in the dark!!!!!!!!!

Darryl

I see Pioneer is quite a popular brand.
    A couple of years back I bought a Pioneer system:
    Pioneer SA-740 amp
    Pioneer TX-540 tuner
    Pioneer something timer
    Pioneer something casette decks x 2
    Pioneer something record deck.
    It all cost me £5 ($9)
    The casette decks didn't work
    I sold the record deck on ebay for £56, about $100! Can't believe anyone would pay that sort of money for a plastic deck, though I have to admit it worker very well.
    The vintage gear I now run is the Pioneer amp and a Bang & Olufsen Beogram 3000 and a pair of B&O Beovox 1702 speakers. Fab sound! Unfortunately the rubber band has stretched and I'll find out soon if I can get hold of a replacement. Should'a kept the Pioneer!
    Last edited by michael; 03-19-2005 at 01:56 AM.

I'm down to a Marantz 2230 that I use in the bedroom for a true "vintage" piece. I used to have a pair of Wharfedales that were the size a Buick and weighed about the same. They represent another in a long list of "Why didn't I keep that?" My Mission 780 Argonauts from the mid '80's don't really count, although at almost 20 yrs old you would think they would .

Geez, I'm gettin' old...

Forum Regular
    I'm curious.

I run mostly vintage, a Dual 604 TT, Hafler DH-110 pre (maybe not vintage but certainly old), a Sansui TU-217 tuner, and a Marantz 1152dc amp section pushing slightly modified DQ-10s'.

Heck the only modern unit I have is a cd/dvd player, a Philips 951-something or the other.

I have to admit, I'd sure like a remote on the pre, and a good quality cd player, maybe tubed like Justlisten2s'. Other than that, I like my sound.

Anyone?

Pete
    Hey Pete some nice vintage stuff there. I was stationed in Germany in the mid 70's and picked up a Marantz 4400 quad receiver w/ all the options, (4) JBL L-65 Jubal speakers, Teac A-450 cassette deck, Dual 1249Q turn w/4 channel cartridge, JVC 4 channel equalizer and a Dokorder 1140 reel-to-reel (traded later on like a dummy). Also a spare Sansui 9090DB receiver, Technics SL-D2 turntable, Realistic 8-track rec/player later on.
    That Marantz though is my "baby"...retailed for $1200 new in 1975.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information