Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Stan...

The output level in this case is determined in the cartridge itself, as opposed to a separate transformer, the arm, the turntable, etc. The cartridge contains the stylus and you can replace either the stylus or the whole cartridge. If you have the original Pioneer cartridge you would want to look for the replacement stylus for specifically your turntable.

http://www.lptunes.com/Pioneer-PL-74...p/ptpl0740.htm

However, the PL-740 appears to accept an ordinary cartridge with the standard 1/2-inch mount. With some cartridges you're better off replacing the whole thing and with some of the best vintage cartridges you're better off replacing only the stylus. You might be in the situation where you would benefit from replacing only the stylus.
    So, this turntable sounds like I payed $30 for it at GW. It's got the following problems:

1.) Left channel is dead, and every record I put on it has this 60 cycle mum (right side).

2.) The output leads are toothpick thin, so I'm thinking that's were the hum is coming from?

3.) Every record I put on it has lots of surface noise and snap/crackle/pop sounds.

I'm thinking that I should get a new belt driven player and try out that? I've heard that belt driven are better sounding??

What type of players do you guys have? What type is affordable (Say $150)???

Thanks,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Bad interconnects or grounding issues could be the cause of the hum. Surface noise is often either static or a record in need of a good cleaning. Belt drive turntables are not necessarily better sounding. Some are audiophile quality and some are mass-market quality. An old Pioneer direct-drive turntable will most likely be better than an old Pioneer belt-drive turntable. There are usually some nice JVC quartz-locked direct-drive turntables floating around for $150 or less.

http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/i.h...=&_osacat=3283

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Stan I have a Pioneer PL-516, belt drive. It's quite nice but I think I use my Technics SL-Q2 direct drive more often.

The hum is a ground problem. Firstly, did you connect the ground wire to the chassis of the amp?

New leads are cheap and simple to install for your headshell. Don't oanic, it sounds like it just needs a bit of love and it'll be on it's way. Don't give up yet.

And no, not all belt drives sound that great, it depends. Direct drives are more accurate and can be used like workhorses.

Stan, here's the deal of deals but you only have a few hours left! This is has a nice cart already, is the son of the 1200 series.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Technics-Direct-...item53de1c2fca

If you want the deal of deals, I'd take one of those JVC quartz DD models for $40 less than the Technics.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-Quartz-Locke...item35a50488b4

If you want the deal of deals, I'd take one of those JVC quartz DD models for $40 less than the Technics.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-Quartz-Locke...item35a50488b4

OK noob, that's it. My Technics Cobras against your JVC Overlords. We will meet at midnight, knives and bats are allowed. We'll see who'll win this thing...

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    OK noob, that's it. My Technics Cobras against your JVC Overlords. We will meet at midnight, knives and bats are allowed. We'll see who'll win this thing...
    My guys are bringing these...

OK ok you win...

Stan I have a Pioneer PL-516, belt drive. It's quite nice but I think I use my Technics SL-Q2 direct drive more often.

The hum is a ground problem. Firstly, did you connect the ground wire to the chassis of the amp?

New leads are cheap and simple to install for your headshell. Don't oanic, it sounds like it just needs a bit of love and it'll be on it's way. Don't give up yet.

And no, not all belt drives sound that great, it depends. Direct drives are more accurate and can be used like workhorses.
    I agree, I would start with the connections between the cartridge and the headshell, if they are intact I would remove and clean each connection, if one is broken, as mentioned, I would suspect the ground on the bad side (avalible at Garage-a-Records and many other places cheap). From here check the interconnects, and it is entirely possible to have a cartridge that has gone bad. Do you have another cartridge to try?

Is the headshell removeable? I am not familiar with your table.If it is you may need to clean the connections this is a common problem with the SME type connections.

I am a belt drive fan, a Thorens TD-160 can occasionally be had in your range, these can be modified to be an outstanding turntable. http://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_td_160_dept_.htm

Here is my Fairchild 412-1B, it utilizes a 2 belt system to completely isolate the motor from the platter, this is to eliminate vibration and noise from being transfered to the platter and thus to the pickup.

Jim
    Fairchild 412-1B SME arm Pickering XSV-3000
    Thorens Weight
    GAS Thoebe
    Grant Fidelity B-283
    California Audio Labs Delta Transport
    Paradesea DAC
    DBX-3BX-DS
    Sansui TU-7700
    Adcom 585
    Hafler Pro 500
    Tara Labs Cable
    Legacy Classic's

Tube system Scott 299B, Thorens TD-160, Klipsch Heresy's

One point it looks like we didn't address...Stan asked about a new belt drive turntable. If that's what you're looking for, I'd recommend the Denon DP-300F...even though it's over the budget. It comes with a cartridge, which is something that should be considered with the price of a turntable. Used cartridges that come with a used turntable should most likely be replaced, since you won't know the condition of the stylus unless you can examine it under a microscope. I have not see a new turntable I'd want, priced at anything less than the DP-300F.

So as usual, when I ask you guys a question I get a mini-class. Wow! Thanks so much. Sorry that it's taken me so long to get back to you, work has been beyond stressful.

Since I asked this question, I've come into the possession of about 600 jazz records (Mainly big band). It breaks out to about: 400 Jazz on 78 RPM disks and the rest on LPs. I love this music, so I'm real excited about it. The collection came with about 200 classical 78 RPMs and I'm planning on selling the ones that I can on my Amazon store front. I understand that most of these old classical records are basically worthless, but I'm thinking that I do have:

-- Three concertos (Bound in nice folders) of Rachmaninoff playing the piano of his own compostions.
    -- Then one nice folder of Stravinsky conducting his Fire-Bird sweat. So, I'm thinking that these should be worth something (If not to play then as a collector item).

BTW: The whole deal was $150. So, I hope I did OK.

I tried taking apart my turn table cartridge and now it: still does not play on the right side and now fads in and out on the left side. I tried this multiple times and it's got these two problems now. Bur the hum is gone...

So, I'm now *Really* thinking about a new turn table. But, a new requirement is a 78 capable player. So, what do you guys think about this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Technica-A...item19b79e3dbf

It's direct drive, but from what I've read about in this thread, DD has got it's advantages. I've read that you need a different stylus for 78's. Will this one play both 33's and 45's??

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

If you'd like to play 78's I'd suggest you get a separate headshell and a separate 78 cartridge. Mount the 78 cartridge on the separate headshell and swapping out between 78 and 33/45 will be a snap. The change would take literally 5 seconds on that Audio-Technica turntabble, except for adjusting the tracking force. That turntable can be plugged into a non-phono input, since it has its own phono preamp. It looks like it's really covering all the bases, since it says it can do 33, 45 and 78.

The stylus on a 78 cartridge is huge by comparison to a stylus for 33/45 and usually requires more tracking force. Here are some examples:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Shure-M7...2&category=237

http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-...2&category=432

You should probably also consider replacing the cartridge that comes with the Audio-Technica turntable. The one with the turntable is for disco/DJ use and would be a litte hard on your records. Here's an option...

http://www.needledoctor.com/Shure-M9...2&category=380
    Last edited by 02audionoob; 11-27-2009 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manlystanley
    I've come into the possession of about 600 jazz records (Mainly big band).... The whole deal was $150. So, I hope I did OK.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Hey Stan. You most certainly did good on this tansaction, regardless of the records condition. Please consider cleaning these really well before they hit your table. Since 600 LP's is quite alot of work, I would quarantine them from your collection. As you listen to each, give it a good cleaning and then file it into your collection once finished. This will also be a good motivator to actually listen to each album.

Here's a link with some great (and cheap!) homebrew solutions. My only added advice is to scrub the heck out of them with a non abrasive cloth or brush. Don't be too gentle or they won't come clean, particularily with the old ones like yours.

How clean are your records?

I tried taking apart my turn table cartridge and now it: still does not play on the right side and now fads in and out on the left side. I tried this multiple times and it's got these two problems now. Bur the hum is gone...
    With a new cartridge, it sounds like you're ready to spin on this table now.

But, a new requirement is a 78 capable player.
    Yes, you'll need a new player for 78's. I really have no knowledge in this area. I'm not sure if new 78 capable tables are in production still. Obviously, vintage will be the main option for this route. Maybe have a look at some older Dual.

I still feel strongly about trying to get the Pioneer running. It should be a nice sounding table once operational. Of course, you'll get double your money selling it functional condition.

I'll leave it to noob and Jim to help you find the right table for 78's. Congrats on the vinyl score too!!! Always exciting getting new stuff. Definitely a good reason to get the right analog set up for yourself Stan. Always good to hear from you Stan, keep me posted,

Chubbs

I still feel strongly about trying to get the Pioneer running. It should be a nice sounding table once operational. Of course, you'll get double your money selling it functional condition.

Chubbs

Hello Chubbs,
    The more I think about it, the more I think your right. With all the problems with this turn table, if I buy a new stylus, would that solve them. Problems like:

--Fading in and out.
    -- Left channel out.
    -- All records sound very gritty (lots of noise).
    --Etc.

Best Regards,
    Stan

One point it looks like we didn't address...Stan asked about a new belt drive turntable. If that's what you're looking for, I'd recommend the Denon DP-300F...even though it's over the budget. It comes with a cartridge, which is something that should be considered with the price of a turntable. Used cartridges that come with a used turntable should most likely be replaced, since you won't know the condition of the stylus unless you can examine it under a microscope. I have not see a new turntable I'd want, priced at anything less than the DP-300F.

Your the man Noob,
    I just bought this:

--> http://www.dakmart.com/advanced_sear...ua3tj3&x=0&y=0

Thanks for the pointer. With Shipping it came to be a little over $200.

Best Regards,
    Stan

Your the man Noob,
    I just bought this:

--> http://www.dakmart.com/advanced_sear...ua3tj3&x=0&y=0

Thanks for the pointer. With Shipping it came to be a little over $200.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Wow...nice bargain hunting. Places like Crutchfield get full retail for those things.

Congrats Stan...can't wait to hear your feedback!

Congrats Stan...can't wait to hear your feedback!
    I'll do that. I'm not an expert like you guys, but I do love this stuff. Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
    Stan

I'll do that. I'm not an expert like you guys, but I do love this stuff. Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    I appreciate the compliment, but I'm no expert. I am just like you Stan, just a guy trying to get some decent sound from his gear. I am sure there are things that you are more knowledgable in than me, and vice versa. This is simply a matter of experience. I look for help and advice just as much as you do. We're on this trip together buddy!!

Have you given up on the Pioneer? What will be it's fate?

Have you given up on the Pioneer? What will be it's fate?
    Yah, I gave up on it. It's a good machine, but I'm concerned about some of it's construction. Like, the output signal leads are thread thin. So, I'm not sure what type of distortion is getting into them (from my rat's nest of cables). Then I've got so many problems with it. I just thought that getting a newer table would be the smart thing.

If you'd live near me I'd give it to you........ Otherwise, back to Goodwill it goes....

Best Regards,
    Stan

Like, the output signal leads are thread thin.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    I hear ya, my 516 had 26 AWG!!! I just replaced them recently and what a difference...

Stan...Do you know when you'll be receiving the new Denon?

Stan...Do you know when you'll be receiving the new Denon?
    Should be Friday. It's my first piece of 'unused' equipment. But then it is a refurb, so maybe it is used.

Best Regards,
    Stan

I've got the Denon hooked up now and am listening to Al Hirt's "Bugler's Holiday" and it sounds very warm--to the point of being muddy. So, I have mixed felling about it. Besides your recommendation, I read lots and lots of reviews about this turntable. Several of the reviewers who seemed to know what there talking about, all said that the included MM cartridge was not that good. They all said that after upgrading to a good MC, made the turntable sound really great.

I'll probably start to think about that sometime. Any advice is appreciated.

Oh what type of turntable accessories do you recommend? I've heard people talking about brushes to clean the stylus and then record cleaners to use before playing the record. Do you put any stock in these?

Thanks,
    Stan

The most natural choice for a cartridge upgrade, would be the Denon DL-110. Or you could move on up to the Denon DL-160. There are also some good Audio Technica options for good prices, and those might be brighter and more suited to your taste. The AT-440MLa is highly regarded for its price range, as is the AT95E at a much lower price range. If you are hearing what you consider to be muddy, you might want to avoid the Shure M97XE, although some people really like that one in its price range. Yet another good candidate might be the Nagaoka MP-110 or the Ortofon 2M Red. Chubbs could comment on that one.

As for the accessories and such, good cleaning products are always an asset. Some people clean their stylus by dunking it on a piece of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I'm one of those people. Others use only a brush, which is something I also use. I've tried Gruv Glide and I have mixed emotions about it. It seems like it help reduce static. But speaking of static, I've recently put a dryer sheet under my felt mat since it turned cold around here. That actually seems to help, too.

Last comment on the muddy thing...Maybe your tracking force is too heavy or perhaps your tracking angle is too low. I don't remember seeing complaints about this issue with this turntable in the owner reviews. Have you seen any?
    Last edited by 02audionoob; 12-06-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information