Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New Finds

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    $200 is probably on the high side since I think they retailed new for around $350 based on one source I found. CV's are generally not in high demand among vintage collectors and tend to have the reputation as a speaker more suited to playing rock loud more than anything else. $50-$100 is probably a more realistic price if they are in good shape but you never know some people see a big woofer and go a little crazy.

As for packing up gear and storing it IMO speakers are good candidates for that since they have less to worry about while sitting. Electronics are a different issue as dust and moisture in even the smallest amounts can cause issues over the long run. I' d first determine if you have any stuff you absolutely know will never make it back to your main system and then sell it so you can purchase other gear or upgrade existing gear. Anything that remains after that I would wrap up carefully and but in boxes to keep it out of the elements. Periodically I'd take whatever is in storage out, give it a good cleaning and play it for awhile.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Chicago IL
    I will see what I can do with those big Vegas. Regarding the storing part, I will clean everything good and store it in a boxes in the storage.

Hey Mr Peabody,
    Back to your question to Daks about keeping the CVs in the house! The only time
    my gear had to leave the house was when I was married. Sansui had to go down
    to the Garage. Now I have 2. Oh, you guessed it. Not Wives !!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by m.powers
    Hey Mr Peabody,
    Back to your question to Daks about keeping the CVs in the house! The only time
    my gear had to leave the house was when I was married. Sansui had to go down
    to the Garage. Now I have 2. Oh, you guessed it. Not Wives !!
    One has to have their priorities straight.

Chicago IL
    Another lucky day. I got 2 receivers in mint condition.

Harman Kardon Two Hundred 200

Pioneer SX-424

Both are perfectly working. I still can't believe that SX-424 is rated only 12W per channel. It sound for 10x more.

By the way does anyone know the wattage of the Harman Kardon?

Suspended
    That HK should sound noticeably better than many receivers you have. You are going to be able to start your own vintage resale shop. You might want to take inventory and see a doctor to make sure you don't have that horder disease.

Chicago IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    That HK should sound noticeably better than many receivers you have. You are going to be able to start your own vintage resale shop. You might want to take inventory and see a doctor to make sure you don't have that horder disease.
    Maybe I should visit a doctor for that . Well I am 23 and I like music so I buy what I see good and on good price, plus even if one day I wanna sell it, I get my money back + profit( I am studying accounting) because I buy it on a good deal. I sell some of the stuff as well because I can't keep everything home. I just keep the good stuff but lately too much good stuff.

So can you guys find out the wattage of the HK receiver? It tried but I couldn't find any info. It sounds pretty loud and nice. Like I said I am still so impressed with the 12W Pioneer. It sounds a million times more powerful.

Suspended
    Yeah, it's definitely hard to pass on good deals.

Here's something, a thread with good info, seems you may have HK's first solid state receiver built in 1967. The thread also has a link to owner's manual if it's still a good link. If this is your receiver it's about 50 watts.
    http://www.audiophiletalk.com/cgi-bi...num=1152666879

Chicago IL
    Mr Peabody thanks a lot. I will keep this receiver for sure. I just downloaded the manual. 50W is not bad at all. Wow 1967 that is over 40 years old and it is in mint condition and everything is perfectly working. I will open it tomorrow and post some pictures from inside the unit so see what is hidden in there.

Suspended
    Does yours have that nice wooden case?

Another nice pick-up with the HK. I have several Kenwoods from that time period and they were ugly compared to the HK. 50wpc for that time period would have put it at the upper end since most gear then would have been in the 20-30wpc range.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Chicago IL
    Does yours have that nice wooden case?
    If you talk about the HK it doesn't have wooden box but if you talk about the Pioneer it has wooden box.

Thekid, yeah it is pretty powerful. I will have to give it a good cleaning (it looks clean but I have to look it up myself). Not many options on it and I hate how to power it on, you use the volume control.

I don't think the HK 200 is that popular since I couldn't find much online and I guess it is not worth a lot but hey another vintage piece is always welcomed.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar

Curbside Score

Did you guys think this was a two man race suddenly?!? I am here to allow you to grovel at my feet, and beg for forgiveness. Pfffft, peasants!!!

On a leisure bike ride with the kids, found these on a curb. The owner came out as I was looking to inform me that they were working fine some 5 years ago before he put them away. He was housecleaning. Imagine these in a dump!

They function fully. I will be cleaning them inside and out, and then selling them promptly. The proceeds going towards tubes or the TT fund. Any suggestions on a fair sale price.

Marantz SR-640

Pioneer SX-650

Chicago IL
    Pappa you are killing our reputation to me and 'thekid"

I had exactly the same Marantz receiver in the winter and I sold it for $100. I think it was rated 45W per channel. It sounds pretty good with deep bass but I hated the yellow color.

Regarding the Pioneer SX-650 ebay is flooded with it and I see it goes for around $80 to $100 so you can get around $200 for both.

But hey you got them for free so you don't have to worry that much.

Yes Dak, I will price them to sell fast due to the free pick up. Probably go $75 list and let them go for $60 if need be. Yes I hate the way that vintage of Marantz look also. It's a nice unit but looks cheap. The Pioneer is wonderful, I wish I had a use for it. The reality is that I need to liquidize the extra gear I have and focus it back into my main system.

I "need" a TT upgrade more than anything. After that I would like to try some high efficiency speaks. I also need 6L6 tubes for my SE40. My Ampeg V4 also needs to be rolled. The SE40 will cost me about $150 - 200 for TOTL NOS tubes.

Oh ya, I also have a package to send Atomic Adam whcih I need to do soon.

Chicago IL
    I should get one tube amplifier too. My first amp when I started with electronics was tube and it was called Precision Electronic. It was good but I hated the bzzzzz sound when the volume was down. I ended up selling it.

Here I found a similar picture to the one I had.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Finds-259775639_o.jpg  

Chicago IL
    Here are the pictures of the Harman Kardon Two Hundred from inside!

It is so clean and everything looks to be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Did you guys think this was a two man race suddenly?!? I am here to allow you to grovel at my feet, and beg for forgiveness. Pfffft, peasants!!!
    Pops- I am not going to grovel-my knees are too bad-Plus my SX-850 trumps your mere 650.....

Seriously very good pick-up and I think should be able to sell them both fairly quickly. Congrats!

Daks- Nice pics on that HK. If I am reading the one photo correctly it looks like it's power consumption is 50 watts and the general rule of thumb is that the wpc is 1/3 of the power usage so my guess is that is 15-20 wpc receiver at 8ohms.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Refresh my memory Scott, does one of your kids have the SX-850? I'm totally floored by the 650. You know I'm not new to the vintage receiver game, so believe me when I say this Pioneer has got something special. Seems very minimal for a receiver, perhaps that's part of it.

I put my Sound Dynamics on it and man do they sing. Just a great combo. It's funny, most people would assume the 1200SMT would be a better fit with a SET amp, but I have found the opposite to be true. With their high efficiency and metal dome horn, I believe a low powered but well designed SS amp is the ticket.

Anyhow, I won't be selling it, that's for sure. A real gem. I would love to hear the SX850. Do you have any comparison experience between the two?

OK back to cleaning...

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Refresh my memory Scott, does one of your kids have the SX-850? I'm totally floored by the 650. You know I'm not new to the vintage receiver game, so believe me when I say this Pioneer has got something special. Seems very minimal for a receiver, perhaps that's part of it.

I put my Sound Dynamics on it and man do they sing. Just a great combo. It's funny, most people would assume the 1200SMT would be a better fit with a SET amp, but I have found the opposite to be true. With their high efficiency and metal dome horn, I believe a low powered but well designed SS amp is the ticket.

Anyhow, I won't be selling it, that's for sure. A real gem. I would love to hear the SX850. Do you have any comparison experience between the two?

OK back to cleaning...
    I have never heard a 650 or have been able to make a direct comparison with my 850 and others from the SX line. The guy I bought the 850 from used to be an AK regular and he actually owns(ed) every receiver in the SX line-up up to the 1250. I did get to hear his 1050 and it was pretty incredible. Most Pioneer fans think the SX line does not start to really impress until you get to the 750 or higher so if you like the 650 keep your eyes open. He gave a great deal on my especially since it had been overhauled recently so it should run another 30 years w/o any problems.

As mentioned in another post I going to be moving things around so not sure what is going to be matched up with the 850. Leaning towards either the EV's or EPI 100's in a small bedroom set-up.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Chicago IL
    The king is back. Today I got home with something that everyone will appreciate. Ok let me get started.

I got another Marantz 2230 but that is not it. I also got one very big boy who looks very mean - Sansui G-7000 in mint condition and perfectly working. Guys please don't hate me

Suspended
    dak, how much did you charge to hall that junk away? LOL

Chicago IL

Wow

dak, how much did you charge to hall that junk away? LOL
    This junk can blow almost any speakers I connect to it.

I paid a lot less than the actual value. Another, like you say it junk to the Daka's collection! It lays over the Sansui 9090DB and I have the Sansui 881 over it.

Very nice!
    That is from the era when Sansui was building some very good stuff.
    Did you find this one local?

Chicago IL
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Very nice!
    That is from the era when Sansui was building some very good stuff.
    Did you find this one local?
    Hello Thekid,

I always deal locally because I have the chance to test it and hear it before I purchase. I used to buy on ebay but few times I had very bad experience plus the shipping for those heavy receivers is pricy. They don't even have this receiver on ebay if you check. Not many people sell this G class Sansui especially with higher number like 7000.

Since we are talking about Sansui, I just purchased 4 light bulbs for the TU-717 tuner because I noticed that 2 of them weren't working. I bought 2 extra in case for future.

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information