View Poll Results: Who is the most helpfull member of our forum?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kexodusc

3 15.00%
  • Topspeed

3 15.00%
  • RGA

4 20.00%
  • Geoffcin

5 25.00%
  • Florian

3 15.00%
  • Woochifer

15 75.00%
  • Nightflier

3 15.00%
  • Glen B

3 15.00%
  • Ericl

3 15.00%
  • JohnMichael

2 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Most helpfull member of the forum

Most helpfull member of the forum

So we voted on the most annoying member. We've voted on the best speakers, amps, movies, CD's, stars, etc....

Now it's time to vote on who has given you the most help here. There are plenty to choose from. Kex, and Wooch get my vote. But there are others too. How about Topspeed, RGA and Flo. All have been helpful to me. Most have been helpful to others as well. There are plenty of others that I have left out as well. Who are they, who's number one, and why? You can make as many selections as you like this time.

Let's leave out any negative traits. Leave those for the annoying poll. Just good things to say go here.

Yes Top. You get extra points...
    Last edited by GMichael; 08-30-2005 at 10:53 AM.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I vote for Wooch and Sir Terrence...I was always more interested 2 channel stereo, louder = better and believed everything my salespeople told me until I stumbled across this place and started reading what they were saying. I had no idea how ass backwards my home theater setup was. Much more to it than just putting 5.1 speakers in your room
    It's gone through a few complete makeovers, since and I'm still learning. If I'm answering an home theater setup question, chances are it's an answer they gave me.

Geoffcin and Topspeed know an aweful lot about an aweful lot of gear too...honorable mentions there.

I've been actively posting for almost 2 years now, and spent probably another under various other monikers...this place is one of my favorite forums because there's relatively less Brand name pushing and flame wars. Just people helping people and Worfster great sense of humor.

...I'm getting all choked up....

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Without a doubt Wooch. I am awed by his knowledge of both audio and video. I wanted to grab him, turn him upside, and shake him till I could get all of that knowledge outta him. He advised against that, he mentioned something about barfing at the suggestion.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

I voted for Wooch as well. Like Kex, I'm from a two channel background and didn't have flippin' clue regarding calibration or room treatments. Wooch is always helpful and speaks in layman terms.

There are other members that seem to specialize in certain fields:
    Edyct: HD and monitors
    SirTT: acoustic engineering, room treatments
    Kex: DIY

I will say that all of the people that have been so helpful over the years have truly allowed me enjoy my rig to a far higher degree, and that's what this is all about.

If I can add one:
    Here's a vote for our dearly departed video guru, Woodman.

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    I voted for Wooch as well. Like Kex, I'm from a two channel background and didn't have flippin' clue regarding calibration or room treatments. Wooch is always helpful and speaks in layman terms.

There are other members that seem to specialize in certain fields:
    Edyct: HD and monitors
    SirTT: acoustic engineering, room treatments
    Kex: DIY

I will say that all of the people that have been so helpful over the years have truly allowed me enjoy my rig to a far higher degree, and that's what this is all about.

If I can add one:
    Here's a vote for our dearly departed video guru, Woodman.
    I vote for Wooch as well and 2nd the vote for Woodman. Is he really gone? I knew he had not been around for a while but I never heard what happened. I know he was a older guy in not so great health so I kindof suspected the worse.

JSE

that would be great if RGA won most annoying member AND most helpful member :P

Wooch takes an early lead

Or should I say begins the runaway. I am sensing a rout here.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17
    that would be great if RGA won most annoying member AND most helpful member :P
    RGA has actually helped me quite a few times. Before I bought my VR1's, he was the one that figured out I was just looking for something different from my B&W's. I hadn't considered this, but he was spot on. Honestly, I have no idea how he's leading the most annoying thread when there are soooo many better candidates (i.e. Hershon & Lex)

Skeptic
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    RGA has actually helped me quite a few times. Before I bought my VR1's, he was the one that figured out I was just looking for something different from my B&W's. I hadn't considered this, but he was spot on. Honestly, I have no idea how he's leading the most annoying thread when there are soooo many better candidates (i.e. Hershon & Lex)
    It is easy to explain why someone could be both the most helpful and the most annoying. People are often annoyed by intelligent, knowledgeable people. They often say things that are antagonistic to the comfortable prejudices that many people enjoy, and many people are very annoyed by someone who tells them that they are wrong. And even more annoyed when the person saying they are wrong is right.

On the other hand, someone can be very knowledgeable and useful, and still be a pain in the ass, who makes the lives of others a living hell by being an obnoxious jerk. There is, after all, no contradiction in being both annoying and useful.

These are general comments, by the way, not directed at anyone in particular.
    When someone says, "Trust your ears" or "Hearing is believing", consider this: Do you thoughtlessly trust your eyes when you see a stick inserted halfway in water? If you don't trust your eyes without thinking, why would you trust your ears without thinking? I recommend not mindlessly trusting your sensory organs, but engaging your brain before you make a decision.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence." - David Hume

Well, I gotta put in a plug for both Sir Terrence and Richard Greene, Sir T especially because he knocked me down a couple of times when I first started posting on this site (and knew a helluva lot less than I thought I did!). Since I was fortunately a newbie and still relatively open minded, I did the sensible thing and put his advice to the test. Lo and behold he was right, and I got a hugely improved system as a result -- all with minimal investment. If you want to do something right the first time, Sir T has been the one to turn to first.

If not for Doc Greene, I would not have a subwoofer in my system. I always knew that my room had major acoustical problems at the low end, and he was the one that pointed out why subwoofers sound boomy and how the boundary gain works. Most importantly, he provided frequent primers on the virtues of parametric equalization, and pointed me towards the Behringer Feedback Destroyer as a subwoofer equalizer. Without the BFD, my subwoofer is unlistenable and I would have returned it and gone without one in my system. With an equalized subwoofer installed, I cannot imagine my system without one.

I'm kinda speechless over all the votes I've gotten. If anything, I always thought of this board as more of a team effort, and believe me, almost every bit of advice I post on this site has already been posted by someone else at some point. If I'm helpful, it's largely because a lot of other helpful members have been part of this board over the years, and I learned a lot from them. Any one of the other guys mentioned like kex, topspeed, Geoffcin, Worf, Woodman, edyct, and even frequent sparring partners like RGA and Florian, are just carrying on what a lot of others have contributed since I've been here. Thanx again guys!

LOL notice how there are 27 votes, yet only 10 people who voted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrho
    It is easy to explain why someone could be both the most helpful and the most annoying. People are often annoyed by intelligent, knowledgeable people. They often say things that are antagonistic to the comfortable prejudices that many people enjoy, and many people are very annoyed by someone who tells them that they are wrong. And even more annoyed when the person saying they are wrong is right.
    It sounds like i need to add you to the second edition of Most Annoying Member (TM).

cam
    There are many helpfull members on this site, Kex and Sir T come to mind, but my vote goes to Wooch. No matter what up and coming newbie comes around with the same question that has been asked sooooo many times before, Wooch always bucks up with a nice detailed response. Hell, Wooch alot of the times answers the same questions day after day after day. Now I know there are alot of helpfull members here that will take the time to answer just about anything, but Wooch will help over and over............and over.

Hey Wooch, by the time this poll has run its course, I hope you deflate that head of yours hahaha.

I've got a suggestion, If Sir T doesn't object, I think you should change your same to Sir Woochifer. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by cam
    There are many helpfull members on this site, Kex and Sir T come to mind, but my vote goes to Wooch. No matter what up and coming newbie comes around with the same question that has been asked sooooo many times before, Wooch always bucks up with a nice detailed response. Hell, Wooch alot of the times answers the same questions day after day after day. Now I know there are alot of helpfull members here that will take the time to answer just about anything, but Wooch will help over and over............and over.

Hey Wooch, by the time this poll has run its course, I hope you deflate that head of yours hahaha.

I've got a suggestion, If Sir T doesn't object, I think you should change your same to Sir Woochifer. What do you think?
    Consider it done. As of today(in my most dignified voice)Wooch shall be known as Sir Wooch, knight of the audio roundtable, Governer of the BFD, and Lord of the rings. It is done.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Well, I gotta put in a plug for both Sir Terrence and Richard Greene, Sir T especially because he knocked me down a couple of times when I first started posting on this site (and knew a helluva lot less than I thought I did!). Since I was fortunately a newbie and still relatively open minded, I did the sensible thing and put his advice to the test. Lo and behold he was right, and I got a hugely improved system as a result -- all with minimal investment. If you want to do something right the first time, Sir T has been the one to turn to first.

If not for Doc Greene, I would not have a subwoofer in my system. I always knew that my room had major acoustical problems at the low end, and he was the one that pointed out why subwoofers sound boomy and how the boundary gain works. Most importantly, he provided frequent primers on the virtues of parametric equalization, and pointed me towards the Behringer Feedback Destroyer as a subwoofer equalizer. Without the BFD, my subwoofer is unlistenable and I would have returned it and gone without one in my system. With an equalized subwoofer installed, I cannot imagine my system without one.

I'm kinda speechless over all the votes I've gotten. If anything, I always thought of this board as more of a team effort, and believe me, almost every bit of advice I post on this site has already been posted by someone else at some point. If I'm helpful, it's largely because a lot of other helpful members have been part of this board over the years, and I learned a lot from them. Any one of the other guys mentioned like kex, topspeed, Geoffcin, Worf, Woodman, edyct, and even frequent sparring partners like RGA and Florian, are just carrying on what a lot of others have contributed since I've been here. Thanx again guys!
    What a great acceptance speech. How typical for Wooch to give the credit to others when he is the clear winner here. Very gracious and respectable.

I do agree that this is a team thing. Everyone on this list, and many that I left off, have been very helpful. But Wooch stands tall above everyone. A class act ladies and gentlemen.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer

Well, my vote went for you, Wooch, though Sir Terence would be a close second. Many others do their best, too.

Some of the old crowd don't post here much anymore. Richard Greene doesn't post much here anymore for whatever reason, though he is reasonably active at AA. Woodman always gave excellent infomation but we don't know what he's doing now. Mtrycrafts has settled in at Audioholics, where his insights are much appreciated.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Skeptic
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17
    It sounds like i need to add you to the second edition of Most Annoying Member (TM).
    Why, thank you for so quickly elevating me to such a special status! It is most gratifying to be called intelligent and knowledgeable and right!
    When someone says, "Trust your ears" or "Hearing is believing", consider this: Do you thoughtlessly trust your eyes when you see a stick inserted halfway in water? If you don't trust your eyes without thinking, why would you trust your ears without thinking? I recommend not mindlessly trusting your sensory organs, but engaging your brain before you make a decision.

Skeptic
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat D
    Well, my vote went for you, Wooch, though Sir Terence would be a close second. Many others do their best, too.

Some of the old crowd don't post here much anymore. Richard Greene doesn't post much here anymore for whatever reason, though he is reasonably active at AA. Woodman always gave excellent infomation but we don't know what he's doing now. Mtrycrafts has settled in at Audioholics, where his insights are much appreciated.
    I like all of those of the old crowd you mention, and you as well for your good advice. As I recall, Woodman was a crotchety old man, so, I hate to suggest it, but is he well? (By the way, "crotchety old man” is meant to be descriptive; it in no way is meant to suggest that he was not a good man, but he did not always suffer fools gladly.) His "signature" on his last post is also rather suggestive, containing:

"I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!"

A little help please (simple integra review)

I hope he is alive and well, and just taking a break.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

"You're the best"...

..."No, you're the best"...

Good Godamighty!...makes you wanna' puke...

And Pat D...how you could mention the two names you did in the same breath is beyond me...yeah, yeah, we know...(as a pre-emptive bit of self-deprecation) lotsa things are beyond me, so anyone contemplating insulting me can bugger off!

Anyone recall "Niagra" recorders...there are monikers that fit to a "T" but not for the reasons intended...

jimHJJ(...it's a regular mutual admiration society...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Actually...

"I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!"

A little help please (simple integra review)

I hope he is alive and well, and just taking a break.
    ...as I recall, that was his sign-off for quite sometime...unfortunately there is some conjecture(as of yet unverified) that he may no longer be with us...ericl responded to a post I had addressed to Woody with that possibility...

jimHJJ(...if true, I hope it's a better place...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Kam

another for wooch

he's one of them smarty types.

thanks, once again wooch (and everyone else to) for all the info i've learned here.

peace
    k2
    go 'canes!
    /create

Talking There is a winner

OK, I will go out on a limb and declare an early winner. I predict that non other than the Woochifer himself will win. In fact, I declare him as the official winner.

Congratulations Sir Wooch, knight of the audio roundtable, Governer of the BFD, and Lord of the rings.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Lots of good audio brainpower in this poll. I have learned a lot from all of you. The mention of patientce with new members and willingness to answer the same questions time and again is what makes these forums so excellent.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Lots of good audio brainpower in this poll. I have learned a lot from all of you. The mention of patientce with new members and willingness to answer the same questions time and again is what makes these forums so excellent.
    JM,
    You forgot to vote for yourself. Now you're in last place. I'd give you another if I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ..."No, you're the best"...

Good Godamighty!...makes you wanna' puke...

And Pat D...how you could mention the two names you did in the same breath is beyond me...yeah, yeah, we know...(as a pre-emptive bit of self-deprecation) lotsa things are beyond me, so anyone contemplating insulting me can bugger off!

Anyone recall "Niagra" recorders...there are monikers that fit to a "T" but not for the reasons intended...

jimHJJ(...it's a regular mutual admiration society...)
    That would be Nagra recorders, and we all have known for sometime that life in general is beyond you. Speaking of things that fit to a "T", your moniker fits you to a T. Wherever you take up residence.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp