Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2004

    What is tar-stuff on woofer cone?

    Hi folks,

    I took the good advice of you folks and ordered some new foam surrounds for my old KLH 12" woofers. They should be here next week.

    Now I am wondering what the black tar-like stuff is that is painted on the cone of one of my woofers but not the other? I am sure it is intended to dampen unwanted harmonics in the cone itself and I would like both speakers to match acoustically as well as visually. You can actually hear about 1/2 tonal pitch difference between the two woofers just by tapping on each with a finger. Is this black goop available to paint on? I was thinking that roof patch asphalt emulsion diluted with paint thinner might work as well as anything.... I dunno though.


  2. #2
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    that goop is what you call driver dope.

    you are right in saying they control harmonics in some way. Dont know what doping compound they have used so it would be foolist to paint the other one too :-)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 04:57 PM
  2. Stuff shipped and comps made: DP, Mule, etc.
    By Dave_G in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 02:48 PM
  3. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-18-2003, 09:31 AM
  4. To Hell In A Hand Basket
    By BarryL in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 12-17-2003, 08:30 AM
  5. Sub Placement Question: Side cavity? Ceiling?
    By sokelly in forum Home Theater/Video
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 07:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts