Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

What mountable bookshelf speakers are best for me?

Hey right now I have 4 JBL N26II bookshelf speakers but I need some surface space back so I am looking for two speakers that I can mount up in the corner between the wall and ceiling. My room is small... 13x11ft (143sqft, 16 sq m) I have a JBL PB10 sub. The only thing I really use it for is music played from my pc, no home theater or anything. I am looking for something in the 300-400 dollar range for two speakers that are mountable. Thanks for any suggestions!

Lightbulb Mountable Bookself

Quote Originally Posted by acb460acb
    Hey right now I have 4 JBL N26II bookshelf speakers but I need some surface space back so I am looking for two speakers that I can mount up in the corner between the wall and ceiling. My room is small... 13x11ft (143sqft, 16 sq m) I have a JBL PB10 sub. The only thing I really use it for is music played from my pc, no home theater or anything. I am looking for something in the 300-400 dollar range for two speakers that are mountable. Thanks for any suggestions!
    Welcome acb460acb There are the Jbl E10 but the 86 db room sensitivity needs a bit more power ,I got a pair of these in basement on 2 channel receiver .Dalhquist 25Ra special effects surround sound speaker .These are intented for Dolby Prologic 1 and 2 platform,they go down to 55hz 6ohms nominal.They are great have these on my my main entertaiment system.Paradigm makes a few of their own ADP -70 ,ADP -170 ,ADP 370. Pat.P

Lightbulb Mountable Bookself speaker

acb460acb Why dont you just order the wall brackets for these .Go to the JBL site the part number is WBN26BLK .They are ball-and-joint swivel brackets.They aim towards the listening area.Pat.P

Thats a very good idea Pat, and if the JBL's are too expensive you can try Circuit City and Best Buy for a pair of wall brackets. You can talk the prices down usually.

-Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Forum Regular
    There are no brackets for this model despite what it might say. All the brackets JBL make are for the curved outdoor model of the N26. You can tell by looking at the curved mount.. The way they describe it is very confusing, but its only for the all weather version. How good are those little plastic mounts you get at best buy? I have them in my basement for the little surround sound sony speakers but I cant really imagine them holding up these speakers. The mounts need to be very strong as one of them will be right above my head when i sleep =) So any other specific speaker suggestions? Thanks

I have the bottom ones for 50$, they held my old THX speakers which were quite heavy.

http://www.electroshops.com/consumer...nt-speaker.htm

Forum Regular
    hmm now if I do mount the 4 JBL's I'll be putting one in each corner and I want them all facing center nicely, but they will have to be lying sideways which means the center of the speaker is going to be quite a distance from the actual corner of the wall, so I dont know if those will reach..

Could anyone tell me what the difference between the 4 JBL N26II's i have now and two of the CMT-340m's . If only get two speakers it will be alot easier to mount as they will be on a flat wall not a corner.

Lightbulb Mountable

hmm now if I do mount the 4 JBL's I'll be putting one in each corner and I want them all facing center nicely, but they will have to be lying sideways which means the center of the speaker is going to be quite a distance from the actual corner of the wall, so I dont know if those will reach..

Could anyone tell me what the difference between the 4 JBL N26II's i have now and two of the CMT-340m's . If only get two speakers it will be alot easier to mount as they will be on a flat wall not a corner.
    acb460acb Cant find info on CMT-340. Like I told you I own theJBL E10 .They do sound good for the price I bought these for $180 CANADIAN and they gave me the PB8 power sub for FREE.The brackets are all included and are flat at back.Pat.P

Forum Regular
    I think I want something with a little more power... the CMT-340 unit has good reviews and has two 6.5" woofers. Its a 25 lb unit but not much bigger then the ones I have now. Plus I can get it in white which is a +

http://www.audioreview.com/Floorstan...4_1594crx.aspx
    Last edited by acb460acb; 06-19-2005 at 11:59 AM.

Lightbulb Mountable speaker

I think I want something with a little more power... the CMT-340 unit has good reviews and has two 6.5" woofers. Its a 25 lb unit but not much bigger then the ones I have now. Plus I can get it in white which is a +

http://www.audioreview.com/Floorstan...4_1594crx.aspx
    acb460acb Thought you said the speaker were only to listen to music from your PC ? Why would you want to spend more than yuo need .Me and Flo gave you input and know you want to upgrade to bigger bookself.Pat.P

Could you please tell us what exactly your looking for?
    Do you have speakers already and are looking for holding brackets or are you looking for new speakers?

-Flo

Forum Regular
    sorry ive been a bit vauge guys... ok wel being a teenager I don't really use cd's anymore.. all my stuff is on my hd and ipod. There all pretty good quality mp3's 192kbs or better and I have a good sound card lined out to my receiver which is where my questions start. I believe I want new, more powerful speakers, but only two of them versus the 4 I have now. The reciever is 75w/channel but I might get a new reciever though If i need it. Basically I am looking for two powerful speakers that I can mount on the top of my walls. You know how teens always are I want like the room shaking hear it downt he block with the windows closed kind of mid range.. but from just two speakers and the PB10 sub I got. Basically when I say that I just listen to it from my pc i mean that like how you guys would listen to it from CD's or what not. And I deff wanna go up from 4 JBL N26II's not down.... Please ask anymore questions if you need more detaisl..

Sounds like you need some Klipsch speakers. Very efficient horns, play louder than hell and with a good sub it will shake your room so that the kid two blocks down feel it too

Forum Regular
    lol what models should i look at? what size drivers?

Well depends on your budget.

I would try the Klipsch SF-2 on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...782156408&rd=1

and this subwoofer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

:-)

Forum Regular
    that price would be fine but I cant do flloor standing.. thats whats making this so tough.. I have like no room in my little room haha... do you think i need to replace my current sub wit a 12?

that price would be fine but I cant do flloor standing.. thats whats making this so tough.. I have like no room in my little room haha... do you think i need to replace my current sub wit a 12?
    Well look at the same series just bookshelves and buy the fattest sub you can find :-)
    I guess you like bass more than the rest right? The only speaker that i know that can play loud as hell are from Klipsch... so go here www.klipsch.com and check them out!!

-Flo

Forum Regular
    what do you think of those asends? because they have the power with two 6.5" but I dont really know what all those technical numbers mean.. do you think those will be loud enough.. I have enough bass as last year I went on a little bass binge and my lower end is find.. but I feel my mid range gets a to distorted when I turn it up.. I dont want to take the bass up too much from where it is.. I should mention I have two 9" subs that sit on the site that deliever some tightness to the bass.. but that midrange just isnt there..

I dont know the speakers you mentioned so i cant comment on them. If you like more midrange than its properbly good too check out B&W and Cambridge Audio. I dont know about the power handling of the small B&W's but there are enough B&W owners on this forum who i am sure will reply to help you out too. Jamo might be interesting too, and Paradigm.

-Flo

Forum Regular
    alright I have decided I am going to mount the 4 JBLs as I have found mounts that will work for them. I think I want to replace my reciever though as I think its the weak link in the system. Its 2x70w main and 2x120w for the subs. But Its JVC and not meant for any really good sound quality. So what should I get as far as recievers? I would say up to around 500 bucks. The max wattage on each of the 4 JBL's is 125w So how much should each one be getting? 100w? 75? Does this mean I need a 4x100w or 2x200w? Thanks for answering all my questions! I hope to have a sick sounding system soon...

Well the best receiver i have found for the money is the Cambridge Audio Azur 540R. I have had many many receivers, but this one is absolutly amazing.

-Flo

Forum Regular
    You probably are never going to ever get near pushing those speakers to their max wattage, at least I hope not. Yamaha makes good receivers, so does Marantz and h/k. for $500 though you probably should go with yamaha. Others know more than i do, if you search past threads in the home theater section you will find lots of discussion about budget receivers.
    "Flouridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."
    --Gen. Jack D. Ripper

Forum Regular
    hmm ok I like the yamhas I looked at... last question.. on the yamha recievers I looked at for the sub there is just that one port to plug a sub into... how would that connect to my JBL PB10 which has the two ports, red and white, and regular speaker wire ports.. Thanks!

hmm ok I like the yamhas I looked at... last question.. on the yamha recievers I looked at for the sub there is just that one port to plug a sub into... how would that connect to my JBL PB10 which has the two ports, red and white, and regular speaker wire ports.. Thanks!
    That regular speaker wire port is called LFE (low frequency effects) this is were you plug the cable in when you buy your receiver.Its for installations method for Dolby Digital,DTS or other Digital Surround Processors.Make sure if you have a LFE switch on back of sub to put it to LFE setting.Pat.P

Forum Regular
    but for the LFE it has two ports.. a red and a white.. and theres only one black on the back of the reciever..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information