Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,559

    Thoughts on Paradigm PS 1200 Sub...

    I've been long impressed with Paradigm Subs but at the same time it's been awhile since I've heard one. I was perusing a used shop that was selling one Paradigm PS 1200 for under $300 and I can't remember the model numbers of what I liked back a decade ago.

    Anybody have experience with this model and any pro's and cons. I can't remember how old it is or what if anything it lacks.

    This would be used with my Tannoy Standmounts which I think are around 60hz at best in the bass. My future speakers will likely be the Audio Note AX Two standmounts also about 60hz (nearfield listening speakers).

    My main concern is that Paradigm changes models faster than most guys change underwear. But I see on their website that they have not added a version tag so could it be that this has stayed in the stable for many years? If so then $290 might be a nice deal.

    http://www.paradigm.com/products/par...series/ps-1200

  2. #2
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    7,124
    I have limited experience with that model. I test drove it for a weekend and went with the larger Reference Servo 15. Given that, I can tell you my recollections of the two and maybe what you can expect.

    As you know Paradigm can be counted on for some excellent build quality. You won't be having a problem with rattles or buzzes. I found this to be true with both models. Additionally, they share similar control apparatus with "Subwoofer Level", "Frequency Cutoff", and "Sub/Sat Phase Output" as tandards. This comes in very useful when integrating them with both floorstanders but especially standmount satellites.

    The pitch and tonal qualities of the Paradigm house sound are standouts. Response time was fast on both models, in the league of REL or Martin Logan, but also could be described as overly polite. This was significantly more evident with the 12 than the 15. The same sensitivity that provides that quick response time also leads to, perhaps, a premature decay on deep notes, again more significant on the smaller unit.

    Overall, I've been very happy with mine and many of my neighbors have not but for $290 you'll have a hard time doing better. As always YMMV.

    In any case, I hope this helps...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  3. #3
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,559
    Thanks Bobsticks - this is the problem as I can't listen before I buy.

    Do you recall the original selling price of the sub? Or I guess the new selling price if it is still the same model?

    The plus side is all my speakers are black so the the Sub will always fit the decor.

    I remember that the character I liked about the paradigm subs is they sound bass strong but didn't linger around long like some subs where I got the sense that it was this brooding overhang on everything.

  4. #4
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    7,124
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Thanks Bobsticks - this is the problem as I can't listen before I buy.
    Call me "sticks", everyone else does...'sides "Bob" isn't really my name..."Robert Sticks" is just something I used to use on hotel registries.

    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Do you recall the original selling price of the sub? Or I guess the new selling price if it is still the same model?.
    I want to say $799 or $899...in that area.

    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    The plus side is all my speakers are black so the the Sub will always fit the decor.
    Mine too

    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    I remember that the character I liked about the paradigm subs is they sound bass strong but didn't linger around long like some subs where I got the sense that it was this brooding overhang on everything.
    Your recollection is accurate though it can take some placement and setting tweaking. That same conciseness can be favorable with rock, r&b, the blues, jazz and the like but if you're doing a critical listening of Saint-SaŽns or some heavy kettle drums you may find some quibbles.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  5. #5
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,559
    Thanks sticks.

    Not a fan of Saint Saens - nor do I particularly love music around the organ so I am probably fine.

    The Sub is for a second system with some eventual home theater duty. I say eventual because ti's been 12 years since I dumped my surround sound receiver and I have been saying I am going to get back into it down the road - 12 years later and my 400+ movie collection deserves to be heard through more than television speakers!!

  6. #6
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    I've been long impressed with Paradigm Subs but at the same time it's been awhile since I've heard one. I was perusing a used shop that was selling one Paradigm PS 1200 for under $300 and I can't remember the model numbers of what I liked back a decade ago.

    Anybody have experience with this model and any pro's and cons. I can't remember how old it is or what if anything it lacks.

    This would be used with my Tannoy Standmounts which I think are around 60hz at best in the bass. My future speakers will likely be the Audio Note AX Two standmounts also about 60hz (nearfield listening speakers).

    My main concern is that Paradigm changes models faster than most guys change underwear. But I see on their website that they have not added a version tag so could it be that this has stayed in the stable for many years? If so then $290 might be a nice deal.

    http://www.paradigm.com/products/par...series/ps-1200
    My impression is it came out about 12 years ago. You can read the reviews from AIG and Sound & Vision for measured performance, but unfortunately the Paradigm site has suppressed the dates and I didn't see a list price.

    http://www.paradigm.com/downloads/pa...s-1200/reviews

    It seems to be a good 25 Hz subwoofer. The price seems OK, but you might be able to talk him down. For not too much more, you could get a new subwoofer from SVS or Hsu.

    Edit: I just looked in the reviews here. They show the list price as $599, probably U.S.

    http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speak...7_2741crx.aspx
    Last edited by Pat D; 08-11-2010 at 08:16 AM.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

  7. #7
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,559
    Thanks. It may not be such a good deal. It's from a pawn shop and they won't go lower on the price and they don't offer a warranty on speakers (which is a red flag).

    I'm going to Soundhounds today and they carry Paradigm, B&W, REL and probably a few other subwoofer lines so I will see if they have any used ones. Might pay a bit more.

  8. #8
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    7,124
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Thanks. It may not be such a good deal. It's from a pawn shop and they won't go lower on the price and they don't offer a warranty on speakers (which is a red flag).
    Yeah, a red flag in a big way...plus, if they won't even entertain the idea of negotiation, eff 'em...


    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    I'm going to Soundhounds today and they carry Paradigm, B&W, REL and probably a few other subwoofer lines so I will see if they have any used ones. Might pay a bit more.
    Are you still living in closed quarters? My only reason for asking is my general mantra of "go big or go home". Clearly control will be an issue but if you have the freedom to get saucy and spend a bit more a big 18 servo might be optimal.

    OTOH, given your obstinance about upgrading and the fact that two channel is your focus going balls-out might be inappropriate.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  9. #9
    Do What? jrhymeammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,690
    I had the PS1000 or PS1200 about 10+ years ago.
    I think it had 175watt (RMS) and cannot remember which version I had.

    Before acquiring the PS-1X00, I had the PDR10, PDR12, and moved on to the PW2200 after getting rid of the PS-1X00 within 30days.
    It was very very boomy and muddy in my setup, but I'm sure I didn't have a clue on how to set it up correctly. It'll offer tons of mid bass, but I would look elsewhere if you need a toneful bass. But it does come with a well built cabinet, and does play very loud.

    Not sure how old the sub you are looking at, but $300 sounds a bit too much for a sub that's been around over a decade ago.

    BTW, Audioreview.com has audio related reviews.
    Check them out...
    http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speak...7_2741crx.aspx

    JRA

  10. #10
    Forum Regular harley .guy07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Springfield, Mo
    Posts
    1,475
    If I remember correctly when I sold Paradigm the ps-1200 was a 12" woofer in a bandpass enclosure and it did put out a pretty good amount of bass for its day but it had some flaws. It was a bandpass enclosure and even though they have their place they have a lower port tuning and a higher port tuning that tune the output of the sub and everything above or below it is almost lost. I liked the way it sounded with normal 35 hrtz and above bass but the bandbass enclosure limited its low bass output since below the tune of the lower bass port is tuned to around that frequency and below that it falls off like a rock. Not to say that it will not make a good sub for the right price but I much prefer direct enclosure subwoofers and not bandpass enclosures. Just my 2 cents but for the right price I would say it would do the job.

    Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Dynaudio audience 60 mains
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center



  11. #11
    Forum Regular harley .guy07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Springfield, Mo
    Posts
    1,475
    the 25 hz output is there it is just that it is not as natural sounding as some of the direct driver enclosures that I have listened to. I almost bought one a few years ago and the output seemed to be very much based on the port tuning and not the natural output of the driver.

    Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Dynaudio audience 60 mains
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center



  12. #12
    Suspended PeruvianSkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,198

    maybe a bit late, but....

    I, for one, was never impressed with Paradigm offers, most especially their subs. I always thought they were overpriced and underperformed other competitors out there at a fraction of the cost. Of course, I am making this statement based on listening rooms at various places and sometimes you never know how they are setup and what they are driving them with, but I was never that impressed.

  13. #13
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,850

    Their reference line is certainly expensive, but for the money...

    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    I, for one, was never impressed with Paradigm offers, most especially their subs. I always thought they were overpriced and underperformed other competitors out there at a fraction of the cost. Of course, I am making this statement based on listening rooms at various places and sometimes you never know how they are setup and what they are driving them with, but I was never that impressed.
    ....I believe they're hard to beat. My PDR12 was only $300, and I would call that very reasonable. Heck, with my Studio 100s, I don't believe I even need a sub-woofer, but I'm going to set it up that way since I have it. It's 11 years old but still does a fine job for me.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  14. #14
    Listener MikeyBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Northern Ontario
    Posts
    351
    I'd keep looking..for only 200 more you can get a much better sub used...I agree with some comments above about some the paradigms being a little sloppy or boomy. The PW2200 went fairly deep but i remember it sounding a bit "slow"...good for earthquakes i guess but not music. For music I'd look at REL
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest AudioReview Articles

Hot Deals

Latest News

AudioReview on Facebook