• 08-10-2010, 08:44 PM
    RGA
    Thoughts on Paradigm PS 1200 Sub...
    I've been long impressed with Paradigm Subs but at the same time it's been awhile since I've heard one. I was perusing a used shop that was selling one Paradigm PS 1200 for under $300 and I can't remember the model numbers of what I liked back a decade ago.

    Anybody have experience with this model and any pro's and cons. I can't remember how old it is or what if anything it lacks.

    This would be used with my Tannoy Standmounts which I think are around 60hz at best in the bass. My future speakers will likely be the Audio Note AX Two standmounts also about 60hz (nearfield listening speakers).

    My main concern is that Paradigm changes models faster than most guys change underwear. But I see on their website that they have not added a version tag so could it be that this has stayed in the stable for many years? If so then $290 might be a nice deal.

    http://www.paradigm.com/products/par...series/ps-1200
  • 08-10-2010, 09:34 PM
    bobsticks
    I have limited experience with that model. I test drove it for a weekend and went with the larger Reference Servo 15. Given that, I can tell you my recollections of the two and maybe what you can expect.

    As you know Paradigm can be counted on for some excellent build quality. You won't be having a problem with rattles or buzzes. I found this to be true with both models. Additionally, they share similar control apparatus with "Subwoofer Level", "Frequency Cutoff", and "Sub/Sat Phase Output" as tandards. This comes in very useful when integrating them with both floorstanders but especially standmount satellites.

    The pitch and tonal qualities of the Paradigm house sound are standouts. Response time was fast on both models, in the league of REL or Martin Logan, but also could be described as overly polite. This was significantly more evident with the 12 than the 15. The same sensitivity that provides that quick response time also leads to, perhaps, a premature decay on deep notes, again more significant on the smaller unit.

    Overall, I've been very happy with mine and many of my neighbors have not but for $290 you'll have a hard time doing better. As always YMMV.

    In any case, I hope this helps...
  • 08-10-2010, 09:45 PM
    RGA
    Thanks Bobsticks - this is the problem as I can't listen before I buy.

    Do you recall the original selling price of the sub? Or I guess the new selling price if it is still the same model?

    The plus side is all my speakers are black so the the Sub will always fit the decor.

    I remember that the character I liked about the paradigm subs is they sound bass strong but didn't linger around long like some subs where I got the sense that it was this brooding overhang on everything.
  • 08-10-2010, 10:01 PM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RGA
    Thanks Bobsticks - this is the problem as I can't listen before I buy.

    Call me "sticks", everyone else does...'sides "Bob" isn't really my name..."Robert Sticks" is just something I used to use on hotel registries.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RGA
    Do you recall the original selling price of the sub? Or I guess the new selling price if it is still the same model?.

    I want to say $799 or $899...in that area.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RGA
    The plus side is all my speakers are black so the the Sub will always fit the decor.

    Mine too

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RGA
    I remember that the character I liked about the paradigm subs is they sound bass strong but didn't linger around long like some subs where I got the sense that it was this brooding overhang on everything.

    Your recollection is accurate though it can take some placement and setting tweaking. That same conciseness can be favorable with rock, r&b, the blues, jazz and the like but if you're doing a critical listening of Saint-SaŽns or some heavy kettle drums you may find some quibbles.
  • 08-10-2010, 10:39 PM
    RGA
    Thanks sticks.

    Not a fan of Saint Saens - nor do I particularly love music around the organ so I am probably fine.

    The Sub is for a second system with some eventual home theater duty. I say eventual because ti's been 12 years since I dumped my surround sound receiver and I have been saying I am going to get back into it down the road - 12 years later and my 400+ movie collection deserves to be heard through more than television speakers!! :frown2:
  • 08-11-2010, 07:59 AM
    Pat D
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RGA
    I've been long impressed with Paradigm Subs but at the same time it's been awhile since I've heard one. I was perusing a used shop that was selling one Paradigm PS 1200 for under $300 and I can't remember the model numbers of what I liked back a decade ago.

    Anybody have experience with this model and any pro's and cons. I can't remember how old it is or what if anything it lacks.

    This would be used with my Tannoy Standmounts which I think are around 60hz at best in the bass. My future speakers will likely be the Audio Note AX Two standmounts also about 60hz (nearfield listening speakers).

    My main concern is that Paradigm changes models faster than most guys change underwear. But I see on their website that they have not added a version tag so could it be that this has stayed in the stable for many years? If so then $290 might be a nice deal.

    http://www.paradigm.com/products/par...series/ps-1200

    My impression is it came out about 12 years ago. You can read the reviews from AIG and Sound & Vision for measured performance, but unfortunately the Paradigm site has suppressed the dates and I didn't see a list price.

    http://www.paradigm.com/downloads/pa...s-1200/reviews

    It seems to be a good 25 Hz subwoofer. The price seems OK, but you might be able to talk him down. For not too much more, you could get a new subwoofer from SVS or Hsu.

    Edit: I just looked in the reviews here. They show the list price as $599, probably U.S.

    http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speak...7_2741crx.aspx
  • 08-11-2010, 08:56 AM
    RGA
    Thanks. It may not be such a good deal. It's from a pawn shop and they won't go lower on the price and they don't offer a warranty on speakers (which is a red flag).

    I'm going to Soundhounds today and they carry Paradigm, B&W, REL and probably a few other subwoofer lines so I will see if they have any used ones. Might pay a bit more.
  • 08-11-2010, 02:24 PM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RGA
    Thanks. It may not be such a good deal. It's from a pawn shop and they won't go lower on the price and they don't offer a warranty on speakers (which is a red flag).

    Yeah, a red flag in a big way...plus, if they won't even entertain the idea of negotiation, eff 'em...


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RGA
    I'm going to Soundhounds today and they carry Paradigm, B&W, REL and probably a few other subwoofer lines so I will see if they have any used ones. Might pay a bit more.

    Are you still living in closed quarters? My only reason for asking is my general mantra of "go big or go home". Clearly control will be an issue but if you have the freedom to get saucy and spend a bit more a big 18 servo might be optimal.

    OTOH, given your obstinance about upgrading and the fact that two channel is your focus going balls-out might be inappropriate.
  • 08-11-2010, 03:59 PM
    jrhymeammo
    I had the PS1000 or PS1200 about 10+ years ago.
    I think it had 175watt (RMS) and cannot remember which version I had.

    Before acquiring the PS-1X00, I had the PDR10, PDR12, and moved on to the PW2200 after getting rid of the PS-1X00 within 30days.
    It was very very boomy and muddy in my setup, but I'm sure I didn't have a clue on how to set it up correctly. It'll offer tons of mid bass, but I would look elsewhere if you need a toneful bass. But it does come with a well built cabinet, and does play very loud.

    Not sure how old the sub you are looking at, but $300 sounds a bit too much for a sub that's been around over a decade ago.

    BTW, Audioreview.com has audio related reviews.
    Check them out... :)
    http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speak...7_2741crx.aspx

    JRA
  • 08-11-2010, 06:00 PM
    harley .guy07
    If I remember correctly when I sold Paradigm the ps-1200 was a 12" woofer in a bandpass enclosure and it did put out a pretty good amount of bass for its day but it had some flaws. It was a bandpass enclosure and even though they have their place they have a lower port tuning and a higher port tuning that tune the output of the sub and everything above or below it is almost lost. I liked the way it sounded with normal 35 hrtz and above bass but the bandbass enclosure limited its low bass output since below the tune of the lower bass port is tuned to around that frequency and below that it falls off like a rock. Not to say that it will not make a good sub for the right price but I much prefer direct enclosure subwoofers and not bandpass enclosures. Just my 2 cents but for the right price I would say it would do the job.
  • 08-11-2010, 06:06 PM
    harley .guy07
    the 25 hz output is there it is just that it is not as natural sounding as some of the direct driver enclosures that I have listened to. I almost bought one a few years ago and the output seemed to be very much based on the port tuning and not the natural output of the driver.
  • 08-11-2010, 07:52 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    maybe a bit late, but....
    I, for one, was never impressed with Paradigm offers, most especially their subs. I always thought they were overpriced and underperformed other competitors out there at a fraction of the cost. Of course, I am making this statement based on listening rooms at various places and sometimes you never know how they are setup and what they are driving them with, but I was never that impressed.
  • 08-13-2010, 11:23 AM
    Swish
    Their reference line is certainly expensive, but for the money...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    I, for one, was never impressed with Paradigm offers, most especially their subs. I always thought they were overpriced and underperformed other competitors out there at a fraction of the cost. Of course, I am making this statement based on listening rooms at various places and sometimes you never know how they are setup and what they are driving them with, but I was never that impressed.

    ....I believe they're hard to beat. My PDR12 was only $300, and I would call that very reasonable. Heck, with my Studio 100s, I don't believe I even need a sub-woofer, but I'm going to set it up that way since I have it. It's 11 years old but still does a fine job for me.
  • 08-18-2010, 04:28 PM
    MikeyBC
    I'd keep looking..for only 200 more you can get a much better sub used...I agree with some comments above about some the paradigms being a little sloppy or boomy. The PW2200 went fairly deep but i remember it sounding a bit "slow"...good for earthquakes i guess but not music. For music I'd look at REL