Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tannoy Mercury V4

Forum Regular

Tannoy Mercury V4

Guys, ever since What HiFi did a review on these speakers I have wanted to give this pair a listen. I finally found a dealer in the USA who stocks this particular speaker and I have just about convinced myself that I "need" them.

Have any of you guys ever had an opportunity to listen to the TMV4's and if you did what was your opinion of them?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    My audio lab:
    Qinpu A-6000 MK ll Integrated Amp
    Blue Marble Audio Speaker Wire
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850
    Grant Fidelity DAC-11/Phillips 7DJ8 tube

Parasound Zamp V.3/Parasound ZPre2 Preamp
    Signal Cable Analog 2 Speaker Wire
    Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001
    Stello DA 100 Signature DAC

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Signal Cable Classic Speaker Cable
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Various power cords, I.C.'s, optical, coax, and analog cables.

Forum Regular
    Just placed an order for a pair of TMV4 in Dark Walnut finish. $711/pr is the final price and includes freebie ground shipping. Check out this YT video.

Tannoy Mercury V4 Floor Standing Loudspeakers, Dark Walnut Finish - YouTube
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Very nice. Post a review when you have had a chance to break them in.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Congrats LeRoy! I have a buddy who has a set of Tannoy Precision 4's.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    Thanks guys. I will let you know what's up with the TMV4's once I put them into action.
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Forum Regular
    I'll be interested to hear the results as well now that I am still in the market for another pair of speakers. I don't know anyone that has ever owned Tannoy brand speakers.

Charm Thai™
    Congrats x 2 LeRoy

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Congrats LeRoy! I have a buddy who has a set of Tannoy Precision 4's.
    I've never heard the Precisions or the Mercury's before I had the opportunity to borrow a friend's Tannoy D500's for a couple weeks and was impressed. I especially liked the build quality of the cabinets.
    Last edited by TheHills44060; 05-30-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
    Congrats x 2 LeRoy
    Thanks. I am quite excited about the purchase and the speakers are scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

The last time I heard a Tannoy speaker was way back in the early 90's. Back in that era there used to be an audio dealer in town with 3 or 4 Tannoy models but I was never swayed by the sound of the Tannoy back then.

Based on what I think I understood about the review on What HiFi and what I read on the tech specs of the TMV4's...I think I made the right choice. I'll know more about that decision on Saturday..
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Billiam62 View Post
    I'll be interested to hear the results as well now that I am still in the market for another pair of speakers. I don't know anyone that has ever owned Tannoy brand speakers.
    I will post my initial impressions once I get em into play. I thought you had settled on a omni directional speaker as best as I can recall?
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    I will post my initial impressions once I get em into play. I thought you had settled on a omni directional speaker as best as I can recall?
    Yes, I'd prefer such a speaker but due to the size of the room where I will be using speakers, according to the speaker sizing feature on the Ohm website, my nearly 2,000 cubic foot room would require speakers that will cost close to 3 grand. And when I spoke to someone at the company he didn't think the entry level Walsh Tower would work adequately in that size room. Even if I just purchased the next model up it would cost around 2 grand. Since I just bought a house that needs a little work, I can't spend that kind of money on speakers.

Unless someone knows of an Omni Polar speaker manufacturer that has products that resemble either Ohm or Mirage and won't cost a lot, I have to change my focus to find something that has most of the attributes of these speakers minus the omni polar presence.

Forum Regular
    The Tannoy's arrived today, however, UPS really mishandled one of the speakers.
    There is a major gash and also a large puncture wound on the box 1 of 2.
    This resulted in penetrating into the box and causing a puncture wound
    on the front grill and a gash on the aluminum ring that surrounds the upper driver.
    In fact, it was hit with such force that the ring is dangling off the front of the speaker. I can see no other damage to this point on the exterior of the speaker.

The second box I have yet to open and am hesitant to do so. There are a couple of small gashes on the box and numerous ding marks all around.

So far off to a rough start.
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Yes, I'd prefer such a speaker but due to the size of the room where I will be using speakers, according to the speaker sizing feature on the Ohm website, my nearly 2,000 cubic foot room would require speakers that will cost close to 3 grand. And when I spoke to someone at the company he didn't think the entry level Walsh Tower would work adequately in that size room. Even if I just purchased the next model up it would cost around 2 grand. Since I just bought a house that needs a little work, I can't spend that kind of money on speakers.

Unless someone knows of an Omni Polar speaker manufacturer that has products that resemble either Ohm or Mirage and won't cost a lot, I have to change my focus to find something that has most of the attributes of these speakers minus the omni polar presence.

I went on their site to see how they figure how much speaker you need and I am not sure I agree. I entered only my living room and it was 1440 cubic feet and of course it is open to the dining area so I could [probably have the same cubic feet as you. All my speakers fill my space easily but none are Omni's. I have a pair of JBL Studio 530's with a small mid/woofer, another pair of standmount speakers my Mobile Fidelity OML 1's and the big boys the Monitor Audio RS6's. All fill the room nicely with sound and when I get carried away complaints from neighbors.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

on the front grill and a gash on the aluminum ring that surrounds the upper driver.
    In fact, it was hit with such force that the ring is dangling off the front of the speaker. I can see no other damage to this point on the exterior of the speaker.

The second box I have yet to open and am hesitant to do so. There are a couple of small gashes on the box and numerous ding marks all around.

I would file a complaint and while waiting on a UPS return label I would give them a listen to hear if they are really what you want. After all you would have to open them to inspect the damage.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular

A real shame. Too bad you didn't refuse then upon arrival. Make sure that the boxes are fully intact when you make your next purchase. Refuse them if they are damaged.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I went on their site to see how they figure how much speaker you need and I am not sure I agree. I entered only my living room and it was 1440 cubic feet and of course it is open to the dining area so I could [probably have the same cubic feet as you. All my speakers fill my space easily but none are Omni's. I have a pair of JBL Studio 530's with a small mid/woofer, another pair of standmount speakers my Mobile Fidelity OML 1's and the big boys the Monitor Audio RS6's. All fill the room nicely with sound and when I get carried away complaints from neighbors.
    The room where I will be putting my new speakers is 14 by 14 with a 10 foot ceiling. Medium size but a lot of cubic feet.

Those JBL's you've been raving about seem to be quite popular with anyone that owns them. Wish I could give them a listen at a dealer to see if I'd like them.

Forum Regular
    I was at work when they arrived. I had my father sign for the delivery but he did not notice the damages until he got them inside and the UPS driver was already gone.

I did call UPS customer service but the rep said she could only file a damage report and that would initiate and investigation. The retailer that I bought them from has a 14 day return policy and once an RMA is issued I have 5 working days to get the return in their possession.

I have emailed the retailer to see how they want to handle this scenario as I don't want to be holding onto damaged goods courtesy of UPS. I did not think of asking for a return label from UPS so that's a great suggestion!
    Last edited by LeRoy; 05-31-2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: add more content
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

The room where I will be putting my new speakers is 14 by 14 with a 10 foot ceiling. Medium size but a lot of cubic feet.

Those JBL's you've been raving about seem to be quite popular with anyone that owns them. Wish I could give them a listen at a dealer to see if I'd like them.
    The Studio 570's may be just what you need. Crutchfield or JBL might have some refurbs for your price range. Crutchfield offers a 60 day trial.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

JBL 570's from JBL are $479.95 each

Studio 570 | 150-watt, dual 5-1/4" (130mm) floorstanding loudspeaker with two classic JBL bass drivers and a horn-loaded high-frequency compression driver | JBL US
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Charm Thai™
    Yeah i know it stinks but we've all been there before LeRoy. I absolutely cringe whenever i open an audio equipment box from UPS or Fedex. Totally frustrating and a pain in the a$$ but you'll be listening to those bad boys soon!

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the link. I just read a few reviews about these and they are excellent. And the price is more to my liking than the Ohm towers that their speaker finder recommends.

I am going to do a test with my Jamo C 601 bookshelf speakers in that room later this month. After I hear how they fill the room (or don't) I will know if I need a tower speaker or can get by with another pair of high quality bookshelf speakers. I do need to see how that fireplace jutting out about a foot from the wall where the speakers will be located affects the image and overall sound.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
    I especially liked the build quality of the cabinets.
    Well, the cabinet work is still great. These are small floor standers and the first floor stander I have bought since I had the PSB Imagine 4 T way back in 2002. The TMV4 are about the same height and width as the PSB 4 T's but based on memory I think the PSB's cabinets are a little deeper and heavier too.

Right now I have only one of the Tannoy's hooked up while the damaged one remains in the box and waiting for UPS to pick up the dang thing on Monday for damage investigation. I got one Tannoy to my listening left and one Dali Ikon 2 mk2 on my listening right. It's kinda strange that at the moment I can barely detect a SQ difference between the T and the D.
    Last edited by LeRoy; 06-01-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: add content
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    The Studio 570's may be just what you need.
    I had actually looked into these speakers but I had to dismiss them because I needed a speaker rated at 8 ohms. My plan is to utilize the Parasound Z amp's as mono blocks but in that configuration the Z amp requires 8 ohm speakers and nothing lower or risk blowing up the amp. So, I had to dismiss everything that was not 8 Ohms. The JBL looks like one fun speaker though.
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Sorry about he speakes LeRoy...Its only a small set back until bother pair are in your system in perfect condition...but still I know you where excited and then this. I feel for you man.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Sorry about he speakes LeRoy...Its only a small set back until bother pair are in your system in perfect condition...but still I know you where excited and then this. I feel for you man.
    Thanks Frenchmon. You're right, only a small set back. I got the replacement speaker in yesterday. The new arrival also was delivered with a gaping hole midway up the speaker box on the ridge where 2 sides of the box meet. Luckily, no damage whatsoever to the speaker itself. I will be doing a little re-arranging with the current configuration then put the Tannoy's in as a pair. Will post thoughts later in the day..
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Forum Regular
    Update: After having one Tannoy speaker in play for a week waiting for the replacement speaker to arrive I got a pretty good impression of what to expect when I put em on as a pair.

I have had the TMV4's playing for about 2 hours now...Tord Gustavsen Trio, The Ground. TMV4's connected to the Qinpu, BMA 4 conductor speaker wire,silver, cryo'd & carbon based, Grant Fidelity DAC-11 (I have rolled another tube Philips 7DJ8 that has hit a home run with me), and the HHB CDP-CDR as a transport, Coax from HHB to GF is Darwin.

I am a far field listener by nature so my listening position is 14 feet from the speakers and the rear of TMV4's are 17 1/2 inches away from the wall behind them.

There are a few constants of the speaker that I must mention before getting into tone. 1) They are VERY forward. I happen to like forward speakers and I am more engaged when the music hits my ears as if I were wearing headphones. 2) The tweeter performs more like a super tweeter. FAST, INSIGHTFUL, EXTENDED but never tizz, fizz, shouty, or screechy. 3) Mids can be lean... more on that later. 4) Bass is so far as deep as the Dali Ikon 2 mk 2's but I was expecting deeper bass since the rating on the TMV4 is 32 hz. It make take a while more to open up. 5) Soundstage is surprisingly excellent and is clear performer in this area. Easily outperforming the DI2mk2.

About the tone...depending on which tube I want to use in the GF DAC the presentation can be lean in the mids or can be natural with texture. Also the bass performance varies depending on tube selection. With the Matsu****a tube 7DJ8 there is greater extension on the tweeter, more energy in the mids with proper tone but tone in the middle that lacks body. The bass is slamming but rounded and to my ears loss of pitch definition and does not sound woody. Enter my latest and so far greatest tube experience with the G.F., Phillips 7DJ8. Now with the Phillips in play I now have great balance all across the spectrum and now sounds like music! Tweeter is slightly less energetic than the M, however, no loss of detail. Mids have the texture I love to hear, and bass now has depth with pitch definition.

Earlier in the week I was listening to Boney James, Sweet Thing. I have had this CD for years and never tire of listening to it. Yes, I have heard the piano chords being played countless times but on the TMV4 what caught my ear was I could hear the individual notes of the piano chord too. I don't think I have experienced that before on any of my prior audio configs.

Bear in mind the retail price of the TMV4's are $800/pr. They are matching the performance and then some of my DI2mk2's ($1400/pr). At $600 less per pair and no stands are required the TMV4's are quite a bargain. One thing that caught me off guard is the TMV4's have their 5 way binding post plugged with red/black inserts where normally the banana plug would insert. Luckily my speaker wire is configured with WBT's at the speaker end so that ended well.
    Last edited by LeRoy; 06-08-2013 at 08:19 AM. Reason: typo
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information