Forum Regular

Speakers/Sub-Woofer for RX-V1500

I am planning to buy RX-V1500. I am looking to buy 7 bookself speakers and sub-woofer to match RX-V1500. Can you folks please recommend the best compatable with price and vendor details? Thanks.

What's your budget? What kind of sound are you looking for? Is your sofa up against the wall or in the middle of the room? And are you looking to add the speakers gradually, or do you absolutely have to buy everything at once?

The answers to those questions have nothing to do with the receiver. Speakers will have differences in tonal characteristics far more drastic than anything that you might detect between receivers.

Forum Regular

Question

I am hoping to spend around $1000-1500 for 7 speakers + subwoofer. For home entertainment center, movies 70% and music 30%. Sofa will be in b/w the walls, need to place back surrounded speakers. Room will probably 20feet long and 15 feet wide. Hoping to buy all at once, may be buy the subwoofer later. Here are the output from RX-V1500.

Min. RMS Output power
    (0.04% THD, 20 Hz-20kHz, 8 Ohms)
    120W each
    Front-1, Center, Surround-2, Surround Back-2

Please feel free to suggests is there any other receiver I should consider for the $ to value other than RX-V1500. Provide suggestions and input on what to buy, where, deals?. Thanks.

Forum Regular

Question bump

anyone?

Check out the Rocket ELT's or other packages that they offer.

http://www.av123.com/products_catego...akers&brand=13

Enjoy your choice.
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

Forum Regular

Need 7.1 set, not 5.1

Thanks for the link. RXV-1500 needs 7.1 speaker set. Where can I find the good option.

Quote Originally Posted by skumarit
    Thanks for the link. RXV-1500 needs 7.1 speaker set. Where can I find the good option.
    Call AV123 for a price to get the two extra speakers for a 7.1 package.
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

Quote Originally Posted by skumarit
    I am hoping to spend around $1000-1500 for 7 speakers + subwoofer. For home entertainment center, movies 70% and music 30%. Sofa will be in b/w the walls, need to place back surrounded speakers. Room will probably 20feet long and 15 feet wide. Hoping to buy all at once, may be buy the subwoofer later. Here are the output from RX-V1500.

Min. RMS Output power
    (0.04% THD, 20 Hz-20kHz, 8 Ohms)
    120W each
    Front-1, Center, Surround-2, Surround Back-2

Please feel free to suggests is there any other receiver I should consider for the $ to value other than RX-V1500. Provide suggestions and input on what to buy, where, deals?. Thanks.
    Right off the bat, I'll tell you that your budget is not enough for a full 7.1 setup with subwoofer if you're looking for something with decent quality and no major problems with the lower midrange/bass integration.

If your sofa's right up against the backwall, I would suggest that you aim for a 5.1 system. With that kind of room configuration, you simply have no room for the back surround speakers and the available mounting options in that kind of tight space will just make the sound worse. In my listenings, a well setup 5.1 system will trounce an improperly done 7.1 setup.

My advice is to simply take your time and do as much listening as possible, especially with the speakers. The temptation is to just buy the entire speaker package at once, but in my listenings, those 5.1 packages make very big compromises in the sound quality. Almost all of the ones I've heard thus far have audible gaps in the lower midrange.

With your budget, you should consider starting out with just a pair of speakers or just the front three. This allows you to more realistically audition a wider range of speakers that make far fewer performance compromises. Yamaha receivers have great virtual surround functions that work with two, three, and four speaker sets. As your budget allows, you can gradually add onto the system and this will give you much better sound over the long run.

I suggest that you go to a local independent audio dealer and check into what they carry. Most specialty speaker makers like Paradigm, B&W, Dynaudio, KEF, Vandersteen, and Magnepan do not sell through big box chain stores.

As far as the receiver goes, I would suggest that you try looking for one of the RX-V2400s on closeout. You should be able to find one for less than $600, and the newer Yamaha midlevel receivers (the 1500 and 2500) don't seem to add a whole lot over what last year's models offered.

Forum Regular

Thanks Woochifer.

Thanks.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    If your budget is $1000-$1500 for 7 speakers and a sub, I'd recommend you change your receiver choice to the Yamaha RX-V750, RX-V650 (or HTR-5790, same as 650)...these can be had for $350-400 if you shop, and are my choice for best value offered in a receiver right now...The $200-$300 you save would go much further investing in your speakers than in the sound differences between the receivers.
    I hastily bought the RX-V1400. I love the receiver, but the 650/5790's do 95% as much, sound just as well, still have enough power, and are 40% cheaper. I honestly feel I would have been better off to wait a few months, but you can wait around forever for something better to come out...just my 2 cents.

As for speakers, take your time. Chances are you will own your speakers longer than your receiver, and even if you don't, they will likely contribute more to the sound quality of your system than your choice of receiver will. Good luck.

Forum Regular

What would be the good options b/w 1K-2K?

What would be the good options b/w 1K-2K?

Forum Regular
    Listen to Woochifer. Try to buy everything in one fell swoop without auditioning or researching proper set-up and you will have a room full of noisy junk. Try to save money by buying cheap speakers and the same applies. Cheap subwoofers do more things wrong than they do right. Your home can sound far supperior to the theater with a little attention paid to detail.

Check out Celestion F15 speakers. NHT SB2 speakers. Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer. NHT SW10II subwoofer.

Thread Information