Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Forum Regular
    jumping in very late to this discussion.

First: I love Soundlabs as well. A friend has U1's with PX technology. An amazing speaker I would love to own, but too large for me and my significant other, (who hated the Crosby/Quad 63's I used to own due to their size.)

The other thing I wanted to mention is that a number of times a year a friend has a great bluegrass jam in his apartment, I have listened to the variety of acoustic intruments up very close (3-4 feet) and from further back, say 10-15 feet.

I do this sometimes with my eyes closed to remove the visual identification with real instruments, in an effort to imagine I am in my home listening room, and to remember the sound of the real thing.

I did notice a very similar room coloration when I was further back, similar to what I hear when further back in the room from a speaker system.

Yes they were still totally identifiable as the same instrument, but it was interesting to hear the room acoustic wreak the same havok it does with electronically reproduced music,

Suspended
    Welcome to the forum emailists and feel free to jump in any time.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
    AJ

You've whet my appetite, Your prototype literally combines attributes from dipoles and horn-loaded coaxials..yipee to my ears. How does third party (i.e. me) go about recreating your mutant.
    Those aren't the mutants, these are

As for the coax prototypes, get the T/S parameters from Tannoy for your raw driver and we'll get some models started.

The potential dynamic capability of your creation is a boon to my ears, if not eyes , you gotta find a way making it look more attractive, black is so out
    Prototypes are always black and ugly. That's why they're prototypes, not finished products.

What's the combined weight of the pair?
    >200lbs. Mostly due to the large ferrite motors on each driver, save for the neodymium tweeter,

cheers,

AJ

It's just a hobby

Oops, I missed your reply

Thanks AJ, I will contact you off-line after I have spoken to Tannoy.
    It's a listening test, you do not need to see it to listen to it!

Not to interrupt a perfectly good conversation, but I'm looking at hooking up with a good deal on an Optimus Pro CS 5 center channel in the near future. The reviews on this site look pretty solid. Any thoughts from the beaten crowd?

nightflier
    I have a date with a pair... (Rich, if you're reading this, get your mind out of the gutter, I'm talking about speakers) of Tamino Monitors this weekend. Now I know they are the bottom of the line, but I was told that Verity was the kind of speaker to have for life.

IMO, anyone can make an expensive speaker that sounds great, but to make an inexpensive one that sounds great, now that's talent. Let's hope these impress; they are going up against my Talon Khites. One thing I did notice is that the resale on used Verity speakers keeps up very well, kind of like Lexus - that's probably a good sign.

Man, I gotta just shut up and remember who I'm playin' wit'!

Suspended
    Verity is a brand I'm not familiar with, don't forget to give us some feedback.

Forum Regular

Speakers to hang onto:

For general great sound _ I have yet to hear anything that compares to my Acoustat Spectra 22s through a hybrid tube pre-amp and good mosfet amp.

After owning them for a few months now, it is the first speaker I have owned that I would put on the list, the Magnepan Tympani 1D. I believe someone else already mentioned them in an earlier post. I will keep these even if I upgrade. It's just cool to hear sound from a pair of 4' x 6' three-panel folding room dividers. If you grow tired of the sound, just re-angle one of the panels and they sound different. Change one component or I found if you just shorten the speaker wires they are so revealing, you have to listen to your whole collection again. Neat speaker.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    From my perspective......

DCM TF-600
    DCM Timwindows 1

and The Wall

I have listened to quite a few speakers in my day, But the big Altecs win by a large margin. To my ears, the best i have heard so far, and will (never) be selling are the Altec A7 VOTTS, Altec 878A SANTIAGOS, And Altec model 15s. I guess I am A horn man.

nightflier
    PS I never got to play with the Verity speakers, the guy wanted them back before I even got them unpacked and was rather insistent, so I never even had a chance to listen to them. Apparently he needed money and thought selling these would solve all his problems.

On the bright side, I'm getting to play with a beat-up pair of Klipsch RF7s in an unusual setup: powered by a NuForce Icon (and iPod). It's for a Halloween haunted house, so not exactly a prime listening environment, but we've been cranking classic rock through it for the past few weekends during the construction and for such a simple setup, it really does rock, even with power tools buzzing. I wonder how this little amp would do with a good pair of Omega or Zu speakers.

Chicago IL

Pioneer CS-R580 and CS-G403 and Scott 315D Speakers

Pioneer CS-R580 12" Woofers

Pioneer CS-G403 15" Woofers

Scott 315D 15" Woofers

Good stuff and all of them like new!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speakers to hang on for life-img_4486.gif  

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hubbard
    For general great sound _ I have yet to hear anything that compares to my Acoustat Spectra 22s through a hybrid tube pre-amp and good mosfet amp.
    See my sig.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hubbard
    I have a friend who had a pair of those with the matching bass module, he ended up selling them and to this day i wonder why I didn't buy them...probably the easiest speaker to listen to that have heard and loads of detail.
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

speakers

My big Altecs will be sold only, (AFTER) I pass away.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread Information