Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Ah...so the ProAc speakers are small. I was apparently thinking of a different model...a floorstander with those drivers is what I was thinking. Anyway...are you going to get them all at the same height?

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Ah...so the ProAc speakers are small. I was apparently thinking of a different model...a floorstander with those drivers is what I was thinking. Anyway...are you going to get them all at the same height?
    Second that...don't even plug them in without stands or some elevation.

Them Carbon 7's need stands. Looking really good otherwise :-)

Forum Regular
    i dont have the proac's yet.... it shipped out along with the usher's today, i should have them on Friday, if not Monday at the latest

what's in the picture: joseph audio rm7si, totem forest, fritz carbon 7

and yes, of course i'm raising them to appropriate height.. you gotta give me more credit than that, you guys didn't think i was laying on the floor listening to them did u?

Forum Regular
    so some quick impressions after listening for a few hours last night...

joseph audio rm7si:

these have the 120db "infinite" slope crossovers... the sound is EXTREMELY smooth, there is NO sign of harshness or fatigue at all when listening to these... on the other hand, it doesn't sound as detailed because of this... maybe even a bit recessed... i would say these might be TOO warm for my taste.. the bass is decent, not as tight as the fritz or totems though. they image very well but overall, they lacked musicality/energy... they sound nice and smooth but can also be described as dull/boring... not the funnest speaker to listen to.. but of course it depends on who you ask... for the price i paid, i think they are an extremely good vaule

totem forest:

okay, i was pretty impressed with these... these reminded me of the 805's in terms of openness... they were just as airy and detailed but not as harsh/fatiguing. the bass is what impressed me the most. very tight and clean with lots of presence and authority, feels like it goes deeper than the monitors. imaging was off the charts, the soundstage was HUGE.... like i mentioned, they really reminded me of a better version of the 805's... less harshness/sibilance, more bass, better speed/attack/PRAT, all that while retaining the open/airy sound... pretty much just what i was looking for.... if i hadn't heard the fritz speakers, i would be all over the forests

fritz carbon 7:

these are blowing my mind right now, ive never heard scan-speak drivers but they are INCREDIBLE. the carbon 7's throws just as big a soundstage and image just as well, if not better than the forests. the sound is smoother than forests, but it does not lose detail like the joseph audios. the bass is amazing for a monitor, really not far off from the forests... maybe even better than the forests if i get them on sand-filled stands. i was also impressed with how well the highs extend without sounding harsh... the sound is just so open, natural and life-like. the timbre is quite accurate. it's really an excellent speaker in terms of neutrality, tone and value. definitely more on this later. i cant believe these only cost 1700 brand new, i would take them over the 805's anyday.

will give the totems more time but at this point, they are more expensive and i prefer the carbon 7's. joseph audio's are nice but not for me. i'm very curious to see how the proac's sound when they arrive... same with the ushers.. i have very high hopes/expectations for both. will be interestnig to see how they compare to the fritz.

Id really like to hear the scan speaks some day. People say they are some of the bass drivers you can buy.
    Thanks for giving us your thoughts Koven. If you dont mind, we wouldnt mind more pics
    Especially of the Carbons on stands if you don't mind you might want to cut out the outside light if you take pictures, but you'll need a flash if you do that.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Id really like to hear the scan speaks some day. People say they are some of the bass drivers you can buy.
    Thanks for giving us your thoughts Koven. If you dont mind, we wouldnt mind more pics
    Especially of the Carbons on stands if you don't mind you might want to cut out the outside light if you take pictures, but you'll need a flash if you do that.

no problem, i'll definitely try to get some better pics... my camera isn't the best though, just an old point & shoot

as for stands.. my temporary solution is placing the monitors on top of one another w/ that 6" stand on the bottom, which gets pretty close to ear-level... but if i decide to go w/ monitors instead of towers.. i'll probably purchase the ascend tp-24 pedestal stand and fill them w/ sand

I am very interested how the Ushers stand up to the Fritz speakers since I to have heard the Scan Speak drivers are top notch. I know that Madisound makes a floor standing kit called the Scan Speak revelator tower and it has received great reviews everywhere. I am very interested in seeing how the Ushers stack up.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    *some of the best drivers

Forum Regular
    just got the tracking #'s..

proac will be here 1/22
    usher will be here tomorrow 1/19

Suspended
    Good deal. What's the brand name of Fritz's speakers? I want to find the website to have a look.

Suspended
    thanks. I've not heard of them before.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    thanks. I've not heard of them before.
    This thread introduced me to them as well.... It appears to be a boutique brand using high quality parts to create DIY (yourself being Mr Fritz in this case) speakers, and selling them direct over the net to keep costs down...

I find it interesting how the direct-sales-over-the-net market appears to be gaining ground...

Forum Regular
    yeah, i doubt many people have heard of fritz, it's a one man operation, i had just learned about it recently as well.. what caught my attention was that he was local so i gave him a call... he's very friendly and loves to talk about speakers, and was happy to bring them to my home for a demo.. how could i say no?

i certainly did not expect to like them better than the forests.... partly since they are half the cost, but mainly because of the endless praise i've read about the forests.. i was wrong though. if you guys are interested, definitely shoot him an email, or even call him. he is a cool guy and very down-to-earth. not pushy at all, just loves to talk speakers. i actually learned a lot from him, he's very experienced and has heard and played with countless speakers.

btw, for what it's worth, i believe these are the same mid drivers that some high-end brands use, like wilson audio, vienna acoustics, merlin, etc

anyway, snapped some more pics with my flash on this time... more to come when i get the ushers/proacs

in case anyone is wondering, the drivers used on the carbon7's are: ScanSpeak D2905/9500 1.1" textile dome tweeter, ScanSpeak 18W/8545K 7" carbon fiber/paper cone

Suspended
    Fritz's website says he's been doing this since 1973.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    It appears to be a boutique brand using high quality parts to create DIY (yourself being Mr Fritz in this case) speakers, and selling them direct over the net to keep costs down...
    LOL! would that make it DIF?

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    No, it would be DIYBGAGTDIFY. I suppose you can't work that one out? Quite simply, Do-It-Yourself-But-Get-Another-Guy-To-Do-It-For-You.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    No, it would be DIYBGAGTDIFY. I suppose you can't work that one out? Quite simply, Do-It-Yourself-But-Get-Another-Guy-To-Do-It-For-You.
    sounds about right

btw, the ushers have arrived!

Hey Koven...got any updated pictures or reviews with the other speakers??? I'm very interested in your findings.

frechmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

double post.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by koven
    yeah, i doubt many people have heard of fritz, it's a one man operation, i had just learned about it recently as well.. what caught my attention was that he was local so i gave him a call... he's very friendly and loves to talk about speakers, and was happy to bring them to my home for a demo.. how could i say no?

i certainly did not expect to like them better than the forests.... partly since they are half the cost, but mainly because of the endless praise i've read about the forests.. i was wrong though. if you guys are interested, definitely shoot him an email, or even call him. he is a cool guy and very down-to-earth. not pushy at all, just loves to talk speakers. i actually learned a lot from him, he's very experienced and has heard and played with countless speakers.

btw, for what it's worth, i believe these are the same mid drivers that some high-end brands use, like wilson audio, vienna acoustics, merlin, etc

anyway, snapped some more pics with my flash on this time... more to come when i get the ushers/proacs

in case anyone is wondering, the drivers used on the carbon7's are: ScanSpeak D2905/9500 1.1" textile dome tweeter, ScanSpeak 18W/8545K 7" carbon fiber/paper cone

What pieces of gear do you have there? Is that a Deca piece? A Macintosh preamp? And what CDP is that and what cable do you use? IT all looks very nice.

frenchmon

Forum Regular
    hi frenchmon, thanks for the compliment

i'll give an update + pics this weekend with the proac response 1.5's and usher x-719's

as for my system.. i'm using my PC+PS3 as a source, feeding into a peachtree decco for DAC/pre, and then into a mcintosh mc7100 amp

speaker cable is kimber 8tc... interconnect is kimber hero

Can that Decco be used as a tubed preamp and DAC from my computer at the same time?

frenchmon
    Last edited by frenchmon; 01-22-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Forum Regular
    Yes, that's how I'm using it right now, as a DAC and tube pre.

Peachtree also has a newer/improved version called the Nova.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information