Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Side fireing bass driver vs. front fireing bass driver

Now i Know your setup on a box speaker is a front fireing bass driver most of the time on floorstanders i want peoples views on wich set up they prefer as as the advantages and disadvantages of both.

Forum Regular

Cool

It really depends on what sounds the best for you .they both can have great outputs but it really comes down to what sub brand you choose. some subs bands sound better side fireing than the front & vice versa look up reviews on both types or go hear it for yourself & see what works for you.

reply & let me know what you decide.

Forum Regular

side firing vs front firing woofer

I didnt mean a subwoofer i meant speakers like my speaker its side firing the Mordaunt-Short Avant 908s ther are sveral speakers with side firing bass drivers

You mean like this ?
    Works very well, i own the speaker you see below too. Down to 28Hz !! :-)

Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I've owned two speakers with side firing woofers

Quote Originally Posted by T BOMB25
    I didnt mean a subwoofer i meant speakers like my speaker its side firing the Mordaunt-Short Avant 908s ther are sveral speakers with side firing bass drivers
    And I liked both of them.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular

side firing bass driver vs front firing bass driver

Yes Yes what are those it looks very impressive it has to image and sound stage very well so lets see what people think clearly side firing bass drivers make the front baffle have less defraction this could turn into the interresting thread on here.What do you think Florian?

The width of the front baffel has a large effect on the "dissapearing" act that speakers can pull. I think that sidefiring drivers are quite benefical but it properbly depends on the design.

-Flo

Forum Regular

side firing bass drivers vs front firing bass drivers

are those the Apogge sorry didnt spell it right what is us price on those and i know im gonna catch some heat for this but most side firing floorstanders image better than front firing and have a larger and more important more stable soundstage one the things that i love about 2 ways my friend in california has some i think has the 4 ohm version

Hehe..no Apogees are a little more special. The are the finest Scintilla's in the world. Only about 40 left and this one has new ribbons, new chassys, new wiring etc... these weigh 253lbs a piece!!! 22Hz in my room....no box etc...

Here is my Apogee

Forum Regular

So do own both of them? Have you ever heard the Moordaunt-Short Avant 908s?oh not the Declarations they are old may be the sweetest sounding speaker under $4000us strange since they were totally revamed internally in 2004 there has not been a review on them must be that BOSE thing!

I own both.

You can read up on the Scintilla and make yourself a picture of what your looking at. (no pun intended) These are very very special and if your ever in germany, then drop by and give them a listen. Let me just say that some speakers are measured my technical tests, others by reality.

-Flo

Here are the VMPs when they are in the room. (outdated pic)

check the final system here....

Lotta work, but finally finished it.

or in the gallery

Forum Regular

I can name several side firing speakers that out perform very very silly expensive speakers,VA Strauss,Mauler,Aerial Accoustc 8b,Coincident Technology Total Eclipse,and Audio Physic Vergo 3 and Joseph Audio RM33si

Well thats all cool too !!!

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I have never heard a side firing woofer in a speaker sound good - that does not mean they can't. Deep bass should be directionless to the ear. The Snell B-Minor a $5,000+ speaker was IMO a terrible loudspeaker --- it got rave reviews by Stereophile of course. I have laso heard some from Polk and NHT both were worse but much cheaper so they were reasonable. A wide baffle has nothing to do with whether a speaker will dissapear or not. note some of these are now well over 5 years old so done right positioned correctly I see no reason why a side firing woofer would be worse -- but I see no reason it will be better either.

Noone is saying that its better or worse. But it works too :-)

Forum Regular

side firing bass drivers vs front firing bass drvers

Hey Florian the Apogge would probably sound very good with the full Unison Unico set up i had on a pair Totem Arrows and Meadalark Blue Herron2s although it couldnt fully explore the bottom end but it was very magical on the Arrows a increadible experience!

The Unico will go up in smoke faster than anything. The Scintilla is 1ohm and drops to 0.6ohms :-) You need like a arc welder for them.

Quote Originally Posted by T BOMB25
    Hey Florian the Apogge would probably sound very good with the full Unison Unico set up i had on a pair Totem Arrows and Meadalark Blue Herron2s although it couldnt fully explore the bottom end but it was very magical on the Arrows a increadible experience!
    Well this speaker is not made for affordable equipment. You need Krell KAS, MRA or any Krell Reference or ueber expensive Sphinx stuff. I bought the Unico CD because its awsome for the money (2.2K).... but one day i shall own CEC TL-0 transport with the matching dac....

Forum Regular

RGA i have read your replies before i joined this forum and you think you are the only audiophile on here im looking at your setup and im trully unimpressed and those Audio Notes you have dont sound better than any of those speakers i named and not any of the ones you named especially the Polks you named I guess you are taking about the LSi15 get the back issue of absulute sound they measured as one the most neutral speakers from 200 hertz on up and this aint 5 yrs ago quit second guessing yourself yeah and upgrade those boxes you have!

Becarefull there Buddy. The AN's are not everyones taste but they properbly do have some characteristics that some will love. We dont want to get personal here, and forget all the Magazines they give the best reviews to the ones with the most advertising. And we all know who that is

-Flo

Music Enthousiast
    What are all you guys talking about Polks and Audio Notes and stuff? And what about measured performance? First of all that doesn't mean jack in the rooms you have at your place and second of all these things are nice to play when you want some background music at your diner table. If you want an orchestra smacked right in your living room you need surface, you need impact, sheer force and refinement. So I'm talking Genesis, Infinity IRS, Apogees, etc... and powered by someting equally impressive too. Since when are these mass-produced coffins you call speakers high-end? Those speakers aren't even full range to begin with. Best performance from 200 Hz up? What about below that?? I haven't heard a single new speaker in the last 10 years that had any decent bass. People tend to forget there's a lot of spacial info in that area too. Man, no wonder this business is going downhill... Before you ask, I'm not a snob, I also started small but I can't stand it when hifi is pretending to be high end. There's about lightyears between them...

Forum Regular

Sorry Florian you did state the 1 ohm version I was thinking 4 ohms so something like the
    MF Kilowatt power wise anyway i dont know the tonal balance them some speakers sound kind of clinical with the MF gear what do you think?

Forum Regular

side firing bass drivers vs front firing bass drvers

Did you read this thread? it doesent seem like it but anyway 10 years you need to get out more maybe you need to go hear a pair of Wilson Watt Puppies or the Ariel 20Ts and get your memory refreshed

Forum Regular

So Raven since all of us have massed produced speakers what do you have?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information