Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Scored!!

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Are you really thinking of replacing your Dyns with the Forte's and a Center channel?

frenchmon
    Seems so... I already called dibs on the Dyns..... lol

Suspended
    For now let's just call it creating an alternative, not replacing. I also need to do more listening to each set up.

AA, no center is an option I just have been used to having one. The Klipsch do put the vocals dead center too.

Hey P

We are happy to hear you are having a positive experience with your new toy, but hold off on any further purchases...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    For now let's just call it creating an alternative, not replacing. I also need to do more listening to each set up.

AA, no center is an option I just have been used to having one. The Klipsch do put the vocals dead center too.
    Well I can see why you would switch speakers....the Klipsch may present a more lively sound than the Dyns. They are totally two different sounds. The Dyns are a more relaxed laid back sound while the Klipsch are more excitable in the high extensions and mids.

I wonder what the Klipsch Palladium sounds like? I betcha that sucker has a large dispersion of sound. Its to bad the smalles floor standers cost $8000 a pair.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Suspended
    I just watched a recorded hour of 24 and scanned some HD channels. What was different is for fun I put a Heresy in for center and hooked up the Forte. I know it would have been better with proper set up but for some reason the Klipsch on home theater was not as thrilling as on music. The sub needed to be turned higher but aside from that the vocals weren't as natural as with the Dyn's and although sound effects like doors opening and guns being cocked were much more prominent with the Klipsch they some how seemed too prominent if that makes sense.

It's so hard comparing music between the Dyn's and Klipsch just because the sound is so drastically different.

Suspended
    I guess this is becoming my blog. After listening to a couple things tonight through the Forte I moved them out of the way and plugged the t2.5's back in. The Dyn's rank supreme on bass, good grief. The Forte has decent bass it's very quick and clean. The T2.5's are detailed in the bass but the bass fillls the room more, like I'm using a sub. With the t2.5's the vocals are warm and more like the singer is in the room. The Forte, vocals still seem live but more like maybe an amplified version. The dynamics with the Klipsch are addicting. The t2.5's are dynamic with a lot of power. The Klipsch seem to be more of an airy sound, that thing that gives a sense of live in the room.

No conclusions just observations.

I guess this is becoming my blog. After listening to a couple things tonight through the Forte I moved them out of the way and plugged the t2.5's back in. The Dyn's rank supreme on bass, good grief. The Forte has decent bass it's very quick and clean. The T2.5's are detailed in the bass but the bass fillls the room more, like I'm using a sub. With the t2.5's the vocals are warm and more like the singer is in the room. The Forte, vocals still seem live but more like maybe an amplified version. The dynamics with the Klipsch are addicting. The t2.5's are dynamic with a lot of power. The Klipsch seem to be more of an airy sound, that thing that gives a sense of live in the room.

No conclusions just observations.
    The bass on the Dyns seem to overpower the rest of the sound of the speaker when you compare then to whats going on in the Klipsch...you think?

frenchmon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Mr. P what are your thoughts regarding sources?

I have found that with CDP my Sound Dynamics can respond rather harshly depending on the disc. With analog they are very well suited. Have you done much comparison with this angle?

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Mr. P what are your thoughts regarding sources?

I have found that with CDP my Sound Dynamics can respond rather harshly depending on the disc. With analog they are very well suited. Have you done much comparison with this angle?
    Just a hint, PoppaC: Mr P is a hardcore source 1st advocate and the reason some of us AR members upgraded from $300 CD players....

PoppaC....I can tell you this...if your sources are not up to the level of your amp and preamp and even your speakers....you will know it.
    frenchmon

Put it to you like this....I have a $750.00 Marantz 7.1 reciever in my hometheater...a Adcom amp for the front speakers which are a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7v3 for fronts...and Klipsch towers (KM 4) in the rears and a nice Mirage sub and center channel. I have a cheap $100 sony CDP.It sounds like dookie in that system. But it does just fine with junk. Now when I plug the Rotel into that system...it sounds twice as nice. But the Rotel CDP sounds not as good in the Rotel system as the $1500 XRAY....so the better your source the better it will sound. And the opposite is true as well....if I take the $1500 XRAY and plug it into my Marantz home theater....you would think you are listening to the Rotel.

frenchmon

Ajani
    PoppaC....I can tell you this...if your sources are not up to the level of your amp and preamp and even your speakers....you will know it.
    frenchmon
    There is no recipe for great sound: I've experienced good results with cheap sources and relatively expensive speakers and amplification... Also with cheap speakers and a relatively expensive source... At the moment in order of quality (high to low) my components are source, amp, interconnects, speakers, speaker cable.... And the sound is suprisingly good...

I do suggest looking to the weakest link (note: that is not necesarily the cheapest component in the chain)....

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    There is no recipe for great sound: I've experienced good results with cheap sources and relatively expensive speakers and amplification... Also with cheap speakers and a relatively expensive source... At the moment in order of quality (high to low) my components are source, amp, interconnects, speakers, speaker cable.... And the sound is suprisingly good...

I do suggest looking to the weakest link (note: that is not necesarily the cheapest component in the chain)....
    Hmmmmm....Your experience is different from mine, but I would not call Benchmark, Squeezbox and Emotiva cheap gear as in quality...nor do I know any body who has....when I talk about cheap...I mean quality, not price. The Rotel is not cheap quality wise...but the CDP was made in 1995..., and the Sony was just plain old cheaply made...And the $750 Marantz just can let all the detail through from the XRAY as the two channel separates do. And I dont need to talk about the cheap cables and speaker wire.

frenchmon

Ajani
    Hmmmmm....Your experience is different from mine, but I would not call Benchmark, Squeezbox and Emotiva cheap gear as in quality...nor do I know any body who has....when I talk about cheap...I mean quality, not price. The Rotel is not cheap quality wise...but the CDP was made in 1995..., and the Sony was just plain old cheaply made...And the $750 Marantz just can let all the detail through from the XRAY as the two channel separates do. And I dont need to talk about the cheap cables and speaker wire.

frenchmon
    I was refering to my Technics speakers and the freebie zipcord with them as cheap... the Benchmark. Emotiva etc is much higher quality....

I was refering to my Technics speakers and the freebie zipcord with them as cheap... the Benchmark. Emotiva etc is much higher quality....
    Ohhh...if that's the case, wait till you get your Revels and some decent cable (blue Jean Cable) and then you will see...the nics and the zips will pale in comparison...im sure you have not heard all that the Emotiva , Benchmark and Sqeezbox can do...the detail has not even been released as of yet...just wait and see.

frenchmon

Ajani
    Ohhh...if that's the case, wait till you get your Revels and some decent cable (blue Jean Cable) and then you will see...the nics and the zips will pale in comparison...im sure you have not heard all that the Emotiva , Benchmark and Sqeezbox can do...the detail has not even been released as of yet...just wait and see.

frenchmon
    No doubt, the nics and zips are the weak links in the chain right now....

Suspended
    Frenchmon, I don't think the bass is over powering on the Dyn's, I think despite what it shows on paper the Dyn's still play much lower than the Forte. Could also be the difference between a 2-way versus a 3-way with the 3-way's mid being a horn.

Poppa, I spun some vinyl when I first got the Heresy but have not with the Forte yet.

Frenchmon, I don't think the bass is over powering on the Dyn's, I think despite what it shows on paper the Dyn's still play much lower than the Forte. Could also be the difference between a 2-way versus a 3-way with the 3-way's mid being a horn.

Poppa, I spun some vinyl when I first got the Heresy but have not with the Forte yet.
    The Forte is a true 3 way?

frenchmo

Ajani
    The Forte is a true 3 way?

frenchmo
    Yep:

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/forte-overview/

I love a 3 some ummm 3 way....

OK you got my meaning. Frenchmon and Ajani, I wasn't referring to whether his sources are up to snuff. I was just asking if different sources using different source material made any difference. I have nice synergy with room to upgrade both my CDP and deck.

Ajani
    OK you got my meaning. Frenchmon and Ajani, I wasn't referring to whether his sources are up to snuff. I was just asking if different sources using different source material made any difference. I have nice synergy with room to upgrade both my CDP and deck.
    Ah, but do you have the room full of money required to upgrade both?

Ah, but do you have the room full of money required to upgrade both?
    I think it's you who will be needing a room full of money...Revel. Are you going to buy them new?

Presently my CDP is fine for me. My focus is on a new deck. I'm not sure how to play it. I could get an Ariston for $400 or save and get a brand new Opera Consonance for $1000. We'll see...

Ajani
    I think it's you who will be needing a room full of money...Revel. Are you going to buy them new?

Presently my CDP is fine for me. My focus is on a new deck. I'm not sure how to play it. I could get an Ariston for $400 or save and get a brand new Opera Consonance for $1000. We'll see...
    Most likely new... Not much of a used market here for audiophile gear... and a half priced, used Revel on Audiogon (after shipping and duties) would cost me as much as a new one from my local dealer...

PoppaC...do you know of any one who has used a Grant Fidelity P-307 - as a buffer? Or what have you heard concerning it? IF so what where the results?

And while I got you hear...if you dont have this...you should go out and get this and then fire up dim tubes...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Or I can send you a copy

frenchmon

Hey Frenchie, good to hear from you as always. I would love a copy of that. I have Let Freedom Ring on vinyl and it's a great album. I thought you were talking about the Grant buffer itself. Yes I think that pre amp is a fantastic piece at a great value.

The sonic benefits will be many and I don't think an SS pre can keep up with a tube pre. All the nonsense about "colour" and "soft bass, rolled off highs" is exaggerated. Once in your chain, the last thing you will be thinking about is measurements or decreased dynamics. As a jazz fan you will be floored by the improved imaging/stage, and the exceptional tone of instruments like the tenor sax.

I have Lou Donaldson's Blues Walk on right now, his sax sounds so incredibly sexy. My Kenwood Basic C1 couldn't even come close to what the EICO can achieve.

Concerning if I've heard it or not, no not personally. AudioKarma has an entire room for Grant and its moderated by Ian Grant himself. The feedback for that piece is positive.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=164

What did you have in mind?
    Grant have a great return policy, so why not try it out and see?
    http://grantfidelity.com/site/P307

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information