Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Scored!!

Suspended

Scored!!

I have been converted or convinced. After being impressed by my Heresy III I realized Klipsch could make good speakers. The Heresy dropped off sharply around 60Hz or so though. They were still a lot of fun to listen to. I wanted a pair of Cornwall bad, something that sounded good yet went lower. Their cabinet was just too big for my space. So I contemplated a sub. I kept an eye out for Klipsch for sale thinking in my mind if I saw a pair of Cornwall I'd make it work some how. No, I didn't find any. However I saw a pair of Forte. It sort of rang a bell but I knew they weren't in the Heritage. So I asked my Klipsch guru about them and he said they were very good. So I picked up a pair from CL for $400.00. The cabinets are a bit rough but the drivers looked perfect. Well, one passive radiator has a dented dust cap. One of the corners on the base were cracked so I took them off as soon as I got them home.

I typically don't care for passive radiators. OK, enough babble, the Forte are phenominal. Just amazing. The best Klipsch speaker I've ever heard. They seem to have the good character of horns without the negatives. If you didn't know I wonder if you could tell they were horns or Klipsch just by listening. They do play lower than the Heresy but the response is nicely balanced. I mean I can crank these babies without the horns piercing my ear drums. But they aren't rolled off or dull either, not sure how Klipsch achieved this. What's more puzzling is why they aren't making speakers like this today. The Forte has to be the best value in a used speaker, ever. I had them hooked to my Conrad Johnson gear, began going through some CD's evaluating sound quality and found myself just letting the songs play, taken back by what I was hearing and enjoying it.

The thing about Klipsch they are very sensitive but on the other hand they are very revealing. So lower power amps may not be a problem but low quality will be. You guys looking for a good bang for the buck on a used speaker need to learn which Klipsch are good. Then treat yourself to a pair.

Now I have a dilemma. The Heresy were short and tilted back some so I could actually sit them in front of my t2.5's. The Forte are much taller and do not tilt. So I will either have to move them around when wanting to listen to them or make them permanent and put together some other Klipsch to go with it for surround sound. I know it's crazy to like these better than my Dyn's for music but at the time I do. I'm sure I will be wrestling this a long time because this is something I don't want to make any hasty moves on .

Ajani
    Well take your time and decide... Part of what makes this hobby so exciting is that no matter how experienced you are, there maybe a product around the corner that makes you rethink your HiFi preferences... Enjoy!

Ajani
    So all you need now are some Klipsch La Scala II's and a 3 watt Set amp...

Suspended
    What I really need is more room

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    How about a room filled with money? I think that's what all of us HiFi nuts really need...

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Congrats Peabody. Soon you will be leaving us to post at the Klipsch forum.

It's funny, I think what's happening with your discovery is more than just the Klipsch speakers themselves. It's really your system's synergy and signature, perfect for the Klipsch sound. I am a HUGE fan of radiated bass but I have never heard the Forte.

I would love eventually to own some LaScala, your posts are making them more desirable that's for sure.

and a pair of Klipschorns, and a 3watt SET amp...
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Congrats!
    There are alot of Forte fans so I guess you are finding out why. If space is an issue you can always send the Heresy's my way and I will babysit them for you.........
    $400 also seems like a good price for them so you did doubly well. Looking at their driver complement they must do bass very well I would think.

Your comments on the Klipsch sound just make it even more painful that I am on the road for the next 3 weeks and can't get around to rehabbing the Heresy I's.......
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

RGA
    Forum Regular
    High efficiency speakers with good electronics is tough to beat. Now imagine much better HE speakers with all the advantages and none of the pitfalls of the vintage horns and with bass. Booya!!

Ahem.....

Might I interest Monseur in a 20 pound sledge hammer?

Worf

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I am familiar with the Forte and I love PRs. I own a set of Polks with PRs. I designed a single driver concept, bipolar configuration with forward firing PR and still use it today.

Some guys hear PR and don't like them. Some guys would rather read graphs. You never know until you try. I love klipsch.

FWIW I've heard those LaScalas...I'd rather have the Fortes or better yet, the Chorus (The Forte's big brother).
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Congrats Mr. P.

I've tried to acquire a pair of Forte few times, but other Agon members had quicker fingers than mine... I don't think the Forte are out of place in your system or any other decent speakers. You have great gear for any speakers to strut their stuff.

Forum Regular

Ole' for your Klipsch Forte....

Congrats on your latest speaker score.

LeRoy

Suspended
    3LB, any idea what would make a good center for the Forte?

Bassite, when are you going to get a CD player upgrade Not that the 5001 is bad but it's not to the level of the rest of your system.

Suspended
    Just like a Klingon.... always wanting to hammer something Sorry, must decline I have to stay within my boundaries.

Glad to hear you got something you like. Good listening. Congrats.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Suspended
    I have a pair of Kg4 which are in the same line as the Fortes. I always felt the Heresey's were bass-shy but have an excellent mid-range.

I really enjoy the Kg4s and will never part with them. I have them in a HT setup with a KV3 center and RS-3 surrounds. Excellent little system. It's not really needed, but for fun I've added a ACI Saturn compound sub driven by a Marantz M-700 mono amp. It really helps when watching movies.

I think the KV3 matches the Kg4s perfectly and would probably sound good with the Fortes. Others have also used the Klipsch Academy ( sought after and can be pricey). I tried a KLF-C7 because I thought its 8" woofers would match the Kg4s better, but didn't like the combo. The C7 made the voices sound as though they were passing overhead, instead of coming from the screen. I also thought I'd try an RC-35 or RC-3, but changed my mind since I was happy with the KV3.

I see the KV3 on ebay frequently for around $150-$200 and the Academys for about double.

Suspended
    bfalls, thanks. Is the Academy a line or is that just what they call the center? I'm assuming neither of those are current models?

Suspended
    bfalls, thanks. Is the Academy a line or is that just what they call the center? I'm assuming neither of those are current models?
    Yes both are past models. The Academy is a center speaker. I believe the best match for the Forte will be from a past series. I don't think you'd find a good match from their current speakers, too many different materials and horns.

You might try a KV3. They're popular enough you'd have no problem selling it if you don't like it. It was a perfect match for my KG4s. The believe the Forte is the next speaker in line, but not positive. There's a Quartet in there somewhere.

Cant wait to get to your place MrP....I want to hear those babies....but I would have liked to see you get the Ergos....but if you are happy thats all that matters. You just may have to push those big Dynaudios t2.5's out the door if the Klipsch are doing what the Cantons did.

Maybe this Saturday I can come over and listen, and then we go to Wylies to hear the Gallo's and the Musical Designs Amp

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Ajani
    Since room is an issue, you could always send the Dyns my way... I have space for them...

Suspended
    Coincidently a dealer has a KV3 for $150.00 on Audiogon. It's black but, hey... maybe on the shelf it won't be so noticeable.

I agree, a center would have to be a model prior to Titanium at least.

Ajani, I may move along my 60's at some point but I'll probably hang on to the Contours. Of course, if I can hang out in Jamaica with them.... we may be able to work something out.

Ajani
    Coincidently a dealer has a KV3 for $150.00 on Audiogon. It's black but, hey... maybe on the shelf it won't be so noticeable.
    Go for it... You should be able to sell it if you don't like the sound (or the cosmetics) without losing much money...

P, why don't you make do without a center? You can reroute the center channel info to your mains easily by setting the center speaker to 'off' on your pre/pro. Unless your mains are super far apart from each other it should work well.

I agree, a center would have to be a model prior to Titanium at least.

Ajani, I may move along my 60's at some point but I'll probably hang on to the Contours. Of course, if I can hang out in Jamaica with them.... we may be able to work something out.
    Are you really thinking of replacing your Dyns with the Forte's and a Center channel?

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information