Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Replacing Bose 901's with Magnepan 1.6's

After 20+ years, I am considering replacing my beloved Bose 901's with Magnepan 1.6's and adding a REL Storm III sub woofer. Is this a good move? All opinions welcomed. I will be using a Hafler DH500 amp and a Hafler DH110 preamp, both upgraded by Musical Concepts.

Forum Regular
    You'll find a lot of people here are not very fond of Bose, so I'm sure they'll say you have a solid move. I'm not personally familiar with Magnepan, but I've heard some good things about them.

On a side note, I'm in Streamwood- small world.

Enjoy and let us know what you decide.
    Eric

I would personally stick with the BOSE 901, it can play louder and has more drivers.

-AD
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    I would personally stick with the BOSE 901, it can play louder and has more drivers.

-AD

The body snatchers have Florian.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular

-AD
    The stands are cool too! I know, I am an idiot for even asking such a stupid question, but I was actually looking for insightful feedback from people who can objectively analyze this situation and provide thoughtful analysis of the pros and cons.

-AD
    Is it April Fool's Day already? Your shoe is untied.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrunswick
    The stands are cool too! I know, I am an idiot for even asking such a stupid question, but I was actually looking for insightful feedback from people who can objectively analyze this situation and provide thoughtful analysis of the pros and cons.
    It seems you're a little bothered by his (more than likely) sarcastic response. I guess a good word of advice to newcomers to this forum is not to be bothered by such comments. This is a pretty small community and we joke around and try to have fun with it
    Last edited by bjornb17; 01-02-2006 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    You are just too funny.
    Im only 1 post away from catching up to you, better run
    EDIT: Too late

EDIT 2 : why in the world does it show me as having 3 posts in a row? This message board is messed up

Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17
    Is it April Fool's Day already? Your shoe is untied.

You are just too funny.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Sorry but we like to have fun. The two speakers you are talking about are as different as night and day. The Bose try to reproduce a diffuse sound field that you would hear at a concert. They have a very wide dispersion pattern with little imaging. The Magnepans with the ribbon tweeters will have better imaging. Planar speakers need to be set up rather precisely and Florian has some advice on that in the section for planar and ribbon speakers. One thing that is always stressed is that you listen to the speakers in which you are interested. If you love the Bose 901's you may not like the planar speakers. Take time and listen to all you can. I prefer a point source speaker over a line source or diffuse sound field. To each his own.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    You are probably right. I infer from the response that my ears are not large enough or that the audio response center of my brain is not sufficently developed to detect the differences that exist between my barbaric 901s and the obviously more elegant Magnepans. I was hoping that someone who at least acknowledges that there are two sides to the 901 controversy could give me their qualative opinion of the improvement my underdeveloped audio pleasure center might detect. Sarcasim is fun and I can take a shot, but I would also like to get a side order of useful information.

analyze this situation and provide thoughtful analysis of the pros and cons.
    Not to bust your bubble, but what cons? I would personally not buy them if i were you, just to ask this question clearly shows that you wont know what to do with a Maggie. Sorry, its not meant in a bad way but this post has to be the most different one ever.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Sorry but we like to have fun. The two speakers you are talking about are as different as night and day. The Bose try to reproduce a diffuse sound field that you would hear at a concert. They have a very wide dispersion pattern with little imaging. The Magnepans with the ribbon tweeters will have better imaging. Planar speakers need to be set up rather precisely and Florian has some advice on that in the section for planar and ribbon speakers. One thing that is always stressed is that you listen to the speakers in which you are interested. If you love the Bose 901's you may not like the planar speakers. Take time and listen to all you can. I prefer a point source speaker over a line source or diffuse sound field. To each his own.
    Good points, well taken. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17
    Im only 1 post away from catching up to you, better run
    EDIT: Too late

EDIT 2 : why in the world does it show me as having 3 posts in a row? This message board is messed up

You are so much younger, you can keep posting after I am dead.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    Not to bust your bubble, but what cons? I would personally not buy them if i were you, just to ask this question clearly shows that you wont know what to do with a Maggie. Sorry, its not meant in a bad way but this post has to be the most different one ever.
    Of course I know what to do with them. I would put one on either side of my chair and hook them to my iPod, just like I do with my 901s. Do you think I could lay them on their sides and lay between them?

Of course I know what to do with them. I would put one on either side of my chair and hook them to my iPod, just like I do with my 901s. Do you think I could lay them on their sides and lay between them?
    Enjoy yourself

Thanks friend I suggested he go to your ribbon and planar site for advice. Never mind bbrunswick sorry I suggested it.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular

Talking Bose 901's.

Keep them keep them keep them!I am not fond of Bose's lower model numbers,201's 301's 501's and 701's,but the 901's KICK ASS,i used to have a pair of 901 series III back in about 1985 and nothing in there size could touch them.Again i would keep them..Peace.

People are jerking you around

After 20+ years, I am considering replacing my beloved Bose 901's with Magnepan 1.6's and adding a REL Storm III sub woofer. Is this a good move? All opinions welcomed. I will be using a Hafler DH500 amp and a Hafler DH110 preamp, both upgraded by Musical Concepts.
    But don't be offended. Of course it is true that the Bose and the Magneplanars are very different as has been pointed out. On the other hand the "consensus" -- let us call it -- would be that the Magneplanars, with or without the sub, are far better for the serious listener than the Bose.

For the Maggies setup is critical, but not as difficult as it's made out to be by some. Three feet from the wall behind, preferably two feet from the side wall, toed in to aim directly at your listening position -- and your done under most circumstances. (Note that the quasi-ribbon models like the 1.6's are easier to set up than the true ribbon modes because the dispersion of the quasi-ribbons is narrower than the true ribbons, hence the reflections, both side and rear, are easier to control.)

-AD
    OK buddy, who are you and what have you done with the real Flo?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

There is a huge difference between Bose 901's and the Mangepan 1.6's. Totally different type of sound and not in the same class at all. The 1.6's would be a great move if you have heard them and know what you are getting. Go check out their website and find some dealers in your area. Give them a listen. I think you'll be shocked at how real they sound.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    This would have been a no brainer for me 20 years ago. Wouldn't have bought the 901's in the first place. I think your choice of Magnapans and REL sub is a pretty nice upgrade.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Is this a good move?
    Yes. While those speakers are quite different from each other, they share similar requirements: lots of space behind them for optimum imaging and plenty of power.

I think you'll like the Maggies. I had some back in the 70s before moving on to electrostats.

rw

Forum Regular
    My question to you is, how do you listen to music?

My father has a pair of 901's (maybe series VI) and he loves them. He has no desire to sit in the "sweet spot" in an equalateral triangle with his speakers and try to pinpoint where every instrument is coming from. In fact, most of the time he's up and moving while he's listening to music: working in his office, exercising, cooking, etc. The 901's fit his needs perfectly for a small speaker that can play incredibly loud and send music to every corner of his home.

He'd be miserable with a pair of 1.6's. He'd complain that they can't play loud enough and he'd complain that as soon as you stand up from the sweet spot, the treble dissappears.

If you're looking for a speaker that sounds great from the sweet spot and can throw an engaging soundstage and give you the kind of resolution that allows you to tell a Taylor guitar from a Martin, then the 1.6's are for you. If you're looking for a speaker to do what the 901's do best--play loud and broad--then you might be happier with some of the offerings from Definitive Technologies or Mirage or another company that manufactures bipolar or omnidirectional speakers.

I'm very familiar with both speakers and would be happy to discuss further if you like (and if I remember to come back here and check in).

I hope that helps,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    He'd be miserable with a pair of 1.6's. He'd complain that they can't play loud enough and he'd complain that as soon as you stand up from the sweet spot, the treble dissappears.
    Considering that the 1.6 is many times higher then the 901 i can guarantee you that the treble will definetly not disapear. The reason it doesnt happen on the BOSE is because it has no heighs. Also if you setup the 1.6 completely free in room, like 8ft from all sides or more and drive them correctly they will play louder, more control and definetly unqeualled by any BOSE ever made.

Its nice that your dad loves them but there is no advantage that the BOSE has exept for maybe being light, small and made of plastic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information