Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Dustin is a hot white boy Dustin_Broke's Avatar
    What was soo different about my posts compaired to others?? Me saying that I heard no hiss noise so I thought that meant it had low THD? Or was it that no body else talks about these kinds of speakers? Or did you take a wild guess? just wondering

But eather way I hope it's not a bad thing that I' am back to these forums since I' am a very nice person you know. If you met me in person you will know I' am nice.

Welp....

Hey Roy...

One more greenie from the far reaches of the Empire!!!!

Worf

Suspended
    I don't want to brag or anything... but I knew who this troll was after reading his first post. Yes, this is a troll. This troll in particular has a mental disorder, and it repeats itself here over & over so no doubt he isn't getting treatment for it.

On the site where I moderate, members aren't allowed two usernames, and if they're caught posting under two names, they're sent a PM letting them know this and given a choice of which one they want to keep. The other one is banned, permanently. Not hard to understand why that doesn't happen here though since there's only 35 - 40 active users at most. The marketing group that runs this tiny little forum only looks at the number of users, and THAT'S the reason why the s/w will never get upgraded. But yeah, duplicate registrations in this case ain't looked down upon because the sponsors don't see that statistic. It's all about head-count to them.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    That may be so oh Wealthy One, but then we woulda' missed out on the wisdom of Heywood and PSkies...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin_Broke
    Well in this case I have to admit but my old screen name was SpankingVanilliace. I changed it to the same screen name as my current e-mail address. Also the big reason why I used the SpankingVanilliace is since my ex boyfriend named Adam had that kind of screen name so I just used the same name. But since we broke up last year on September,14 2009 I no longer need that old screen name. I do miss him but I have to move on since he never keeps his promises.

Right now I think a boy named Dustin Borke from The sims 2 game is hot so that's why I use his name. You can look Dustin up on google if you want to see how he looks like. He is not real but he is a hot white boy.
    I actually missed you, for a brief moment, until just now, when I read this thread...

now the only thing I feel, is regret, yet another 10 minutes of this beautiful, sunny & warm day...

Btw how did you sorta figure out it was me?? I tried sorta to not make it sound like me. LOL
    sounds like you failed in "trying to make it sound not like you"

now, for your question:
    each speaker, has an output of 20 watts RMS, so it states, we don't know at what disortion level, but it's probably higher than anything that is widely accepted to be "decent"

the total system output, which means of both speakers TOGETHER, is 40 watts, which is a simple sum: there are 2 speakers, each has 20 watts of output power, which makes it "20 + 20 =", right the answer is "40".

the total system peak power, is supposedly 80 watts, however this rating is dubious, and purely technically seen wrong, as peak power can NEVER, under NO circumstance whatsoever be defined in watts RMS. got it, NEVER. this is all magic marketing talk, that makes no sense whatsoever.

so, if we summarize this all:

the 20 watts is a really optimistic and vague value, as there are no disortion levels mentioned, and they probably they also weren't tested for long time periods, nor over the entire bandwidth. Conclusion: optimistic, vague.

the 40 watts is a simple sum of both speakers, it tells us nothing new. nothing at all. Zero. conclusion: same as above.

the 80 watts: are a marketing strategy, this value is also vague, and utterly optimistic, as there is no way in hell that the amps in those speakers can even output their rated power of 20 watts for longer than half an hour before damaging something important.

and no, your speakers will never ever have an output of 80 watts, for longer than 2 milliseconds. live with it.

There, I did it, another 15 minutes of my life wasted.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Well I can say one thing though that I feel that the amp for these speakers are too powerful for speakers this size. I have read others that have the same thought about these being too powerful too. I think that seriously I can blow the speakers if I turn them up too loud.

Also have you guys ever seen this amp for these speakers? It is huge for speakers this size and weight alot. I have a feeling it can power even speakers like the JBL N26 and go pretty loud. But problem is that the cables are only made so you can use the amp for the Phlips speakers.

Basicly the amp is soo big that they weren't able to add it on the right speakers like normal powered speakers are and have the left speaker passive.

I think that seriously I can blow the speakers if I turn them up too loud.

no, that's because the drivers can't handle the lower frequencies, and start to distort heavily when you turn it up. so yeah, you can blow them up, who cares, you can do that with almost every amp, but it's not the amp's fault.

and now quit whining and buy real speakers.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Well I do know also that all the speakers I had in the past even I turn them up full blast they never got blown. But I really think that the Philips speakers I have is a powerful amp for speakers it's using. But actualy I think that is good since then at higher volume it wont distort as much as underpowered speakers. I have had some under powered speakers and yes at full volume they did distort. I really acutaly think for the price these are great speakers.

Forum Regular
    speaker companys always over rate the power. they sell you alot, and your getting less.

Suspended

Bobsicks, SirT and Worf...

You gentlemen humble me with your largess. I never thought that I would see TWO greenies under my name. I'm getting a little choked up here.

I can now go to join my fathers, in whose mighty company I will no longer feel ashamed.

RotFLMAO!

Roy, you need to post more often. Seriously. Embrace your second family.

Quote Originally Posted by hank46
    speaker companys always over rate the power. they sell you alot, and your getting less.
    Hank, don't get too wrapped up in it...Dallas is a nice kid but certainly (as has been stated) special. He is on a quest for a non-existant Grail...with nary a Templar in sight.

If'n he had chosen but one of the veritable cornucopia of equi-chitty speakers he's been flogging for years he could've saved and afforded these:

Okay...maybe not...but certainly, in all reality he could be rockin' these:

Woo those would be super nice but no way I can afford such a speaker system. That is like a dream system for me. I would need to be rich or weathly to have a system like those. But eather way if I had alot of money I would probley get a pair of JBL Studio L Series L890 floorstading speakers with a nice 2 channel amp. I don't need a surround sound system.

that first picture, no, you wouldn't be able to afford that, none of us actually could...

That second picture, is way more reachable, even for you, it is reachable. And if not those exact speakers, their smaller versions (the bookshelves, or the smaller floorstanders)
    They are in reach, in fact, they could have been yours already, if you weren't so blind/misleaded/stupid to buy worthless and crappy sounding PC speakers every 2 weeks.

Face it, your pc stuff is worthless, crappy sounding and useless.

tell us, exactly, how much sets of pc speakers have you owned yet? and could you give an average price for those?

maybe, you could do some calculations for yourself too...
    and maybe, you will then understand our point...

maybe...
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Actualy I only have two sets of speakers. One is the Samson StudioDock 3i and one is the Philips MMS321. I' am giving the Samson to my mom since I don't have a iPod Nano or Touch etc. She has a 30 gig classic iPod and it will dock on the Samson speakers. All other speakers in the past I sold them but lost a TON of money. I have a Sony SRS-ZX1 and I paid $280 and I sold it for $90. Then I had got a pair of JBL S36 for $250 and sold them for $130. What is strange is that for the JBL I got them used but like new bit didn't get the same amount I paid for. Basicly I am not selling anymore unless I really have to I have lost more than $500 because of buying and selling on Ebay or Craigslist. I' am still pissed about this even it's been 5 years agao.

But for now I' am happy with these Philips speakers and won't sell them since I will lose more money again.

and NO they are not crappy speakers they sound really good even my mom thought they did. They sound lke a miniture high fi system.

But for now I' am happy with these Philips speakers and won't sell them since I will lose more money again.
    If your happy with these, then I guess this thread no longer has any value to anyone anymore, ' cept to say welcome back.

They sound lke a miniture high fi system.
    Along with the mini sound to? You really need to save for some big boy speakers to really get all the sound that's recorded on a disk.

(mini sound = no bass, no high end)
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Well for it's size there is alot of bass and the highs are really clear and sharp. I had these speakers for at least 2 years and I guess the only changes I would make is that to have the speakers put more low lows but a speaker this size that won't happen unless it has a sub.. I know there is a speaker system from Philips and it uses the same speakers without the bass passive sub on the bottom and acutaly has a real subwoofer. They said those go 100 watts on the box. The model is the Philips SPA9300. They are around the same price range as my speakers.

The speakers I have have great clear highs unlike most speakers it's price range. I guess the Samson ones have great highs too. Only problems with compact speakers is the low lows. Of cource that can be solved by getting a sub though. But having my speakers without a sub and making much more bass than the Samsons is amazing. I guess it really is a virtural sub for the Philips MMS321

I really do like my speakers though and happy with them but I was just wishing that it would handle more lower end but a system without a sub they have alot of good clear sound. I acutaly think it's really cool that they came up with making a system without a sub and have alot of bass still more than normal 2.0 systems.

Basicly the tweeter has a metalic sound to it kinda like how titanium or aluminum tweeters sound like so it reminds me of the old JBL speakers I had that had a titanium dome tweeter.

Isn't the THD about hearing that hiss like noise when you have the volume down or up? Since if that's the case then I don't hear that on my speakers.
    No. THD (Total harmonic Distortion) refer to amp's quality in amplifying its input signal without distortion. And most of distortions comes in terms of clipping. Your amp will need high clean power to replicate power spikes which can reach to upward of 100-200 watt range. And if your speaker’s amp can not reach that high, you will have distortion.

THD below 1% is acceptable, but for critical listening below 0.3% is preferable.

I look at your speakers manual (in PDF format), and it doers not say anything about THD. So it is probably 10% which is typical of most low-mid end PC speakers.

Here are the specs I got from Philips tech guys.
    According to them it says Max RMS is 80.0 watts.

General.
    Product Type PC multimedia speakers .Speaker System.
    System Components Amplifier , 2 speakers .
    Speaker Type Active .
    Nominal Output Power (Total) 40.0 Watt .
    Max (RMS) Output Power (Total) 80.0 Watt .
    Response Bandwidth -19950.0 Hz .
    Magnet Type Neodymium .
    Magnetic Shield Yes .
    Audio Amplifier External .
    Connectivity Technology Wired .
    Speaker System Details.
    Speakers Included 2.0 x Right/left channel speaker - 20.0 Watt - -19950.0 Hz - Wired .
    Driver Details Right/left channel speaker : 1.0 x Woofer driver - 50.0 mm - Mylar , Right/left channel speaker : 2.0 x Bass driver , Right/left channel speaker : 1.0 x Tweeter driver .
    Connections.Connector Type 1.0 x Audio line-in ( Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ) .
    PC Speakers (Extended Specs).
    Cables included qty 1.0 .
    Cables length 6.0 ft .Cables type Audio cable .
    Miscellaneous.Cables Included 1.0 x Audio cable - 6.0 ft .

You guys said that Philips had wrong specs but they said all above is the specs for real. I wonder the specs I originaly got from a website was wrong. But from Philips they said it was 80 watts RMS.

You guys said that Philips had wrong specs but they said all above is the specs for real. I wonder the specs I originaly got from a website was wrong. But from Philips they said it was 80 watts RMS.

that website just copies the specs from the philips website.

And again, we find the same numbers here:

20 watts x 2 (20 watts per speaker) watts "rms"
    40 watts total power (which is 20w + 20w)
    and 80 watts max "RMS" (lie, max power is NEVER defined in rms...) total combined system power, for, about one milisecond, that is...

and i could also measure the power at 50%THD, and they'd put out 100 watts per speaker then, who knows, they'd sound awful, but they'd put it out, and you'd believe it.

That's the point, you believe their sales techniques.

yet, you know absolutely nothing. You don't even know what all those numbers actually mean, you think the specs are the holy numbers that define the quality of the speakers,

they don't. in fact, most of them here are lies.

another thing, the "power bandwidth", defined as "19950.0 hz", vague number, actually wrong number too, because you know nothing with it.

power bandwith is defined between 2 values, in this case, supposedly "between 50hz and 20khz", again, we do not know the db increase/decrease at those points, so in the end, we learn nothing new, again...

does make you wonder eh, that even the manufacturer doesn't give "exact" readings and measurements?

get over it, they're just another pc speaker, nothing special...
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I don't want to brag or anything... but I knew who this troll was after reading his first post. Yes, this is a troll. This troll in particular has a mental disorder, and it repeats itself here over & over so no doubt he isn't getting treatment for it.

On the site where I moderate, members aren't allowed two usernames, and if they're caught posting under two names, they're sent a PM letting them know this and given a choice of which one they want to keep. The other one is banned, permanently. Not hard to understand why that doesn't happen here though since there's only 35 - 40 active users at most. The marketing group that runs this tiny little forum only looks at the number of users, and THAT'S the reason why the s/w will never get upgraded. But yeah, duplicate registrations in this case ain't looked down upon because the sponsors don't see that statistic. It's all about head-count to them.
    I think you're right on all counts Rich but he only trolls in his own threads. Secondly people obviously get perverse entertainment from his posts, no harm in that. I mean after all, you read through it right?

Well why would Philips lie though? Since if they don't give ture specs won't the company get in trouble? I though all companies give true specs about there products.

That would be like saying this Honda Accord has a V6 engine but acutaly it has a V4 engine. Any Company who makes there products can't lie or they will get in trouble.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information