Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Paradigm S8?

  1. #1
    AR Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sterling,IL
    Posts
    50

    Paradigm S8?

    I recently read a review in which someone said that they did not like the way paradigm handled music. I was tossing around the idea of purchasing the Paradigm S8, does anyone here own a pair or have a good evaluation of their music abilities? Any notible concerns? Would appreciate any feedback.-Thanx
    "It takes an idiot to recognize a genious."

  2. #2
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,559
    My concerns, and it was probably me yoyu were referring to are not important because I've never directly heard the S8. My dealer felt they didn't compete with other speakers in the store and also felt that in the same room with the same gear they were nicely packaged 100V2's that were too close in sound to the 100V2 to bother carrying - they carry both the Studio and the Monitor lines and almost every single model - they felt they could offer better sound to their customers - the Audio Note AN E for example is half the money - is more sensitive smoother offers better bass response can be run off of superior single ended tube amplifiers and are upgradeable.

    All of this is hearsay. The reason I mention it is that from a design perspective the S8 looks like business as usual and not wholly different than the 100V2 - IMOP it needs to be wholly different than the 100V2 which is a good solid rocker but not a giant killer or IMO particularly good at anything other than rock. And if rock is the main and only thing one listens to then spending $8k is probably unecessary.

    It's still JUST an opinion - but find an Audio Note dealer and listen to the AN E/LX and the S8 side by side - listen to a piano recording. Listen at both high and very very low volume. If the S8 sounds the way my dealer described it then it will be no contest - if PATD or others are correct and the S8 majkes a significant and it would have to be vast improvement then ...

    but mate it doesn't hurt to try my suggestion - the price difference can be used for some other signifcant purchases (like a SET amp such as the OTO which I'm going for possibly).

    Also get other suggestions from audioasylum.com - that forum has more speaker discaussion than just the big marketed corporate speakers mostly discussed here.
    Last edited by RGA; 12-14-2004 at 03:19 PM.

  3. #3
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by meephis
    I recently read a review in which someone said that they did not like the way paradigm handled music. I was tossing around the idea of purchasing the Paradigm S8, does anyone here own a pair or have a good evaluation of their music abilities? Any notible concerns? Would appreciate any feedback.-Thanx
    I don't want to sound condescending, but you really should get out and listen to these and other speakers yourself. The reviews are a reasonable starting point, but don't take them as gospel. As an example, both RGA and myself dislike Paradigm in general. That doesn't make us right, nor does it make us wrong. I know that RGA loves his Audio Note speakers while I dislike that brand; I love my Tannoy speakers while he dislikes Tannoy. That doesn't make either one of us right or wrong.

  4. #4
    Just passing thru topspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,619
    Good Googly Moogly!!!

    For $8 large, do you have any idea how many choices you have?? Just off the top of my head I'd be listening to Maggie 3.6, Martin Logan Acsent i, Von Schweikert's VR4IIIse's or VR5's, Gallo Nucleus Ref, B&W Nauts, Vandersteen 3a, Meadowlark Nighthawks, good Lord...the list goes on and on.

    Get out there and listen my good man, you'll find what you're looking for.

  5. #5
    AR Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sterling,IL
    Posts
    50

    I have a reason

    I am very familiar with the process of speaker buying, I know that i need to listen to them first, and I wasn't looking for you guys to make up my mind, i was just looking for some info so I have a little better idea. Quite frankly its a really long way to the nearest dealer and i don't want to waste my time/money on anything if its not gonna be worth it. I'm sure you see my dilema . The closest dealer of anything is probably Ultimate Electronics, Which doesn't sell Paradigm anymore, although they do carry Definitive Technology (which I have owned and do like) and KEF, which I am not as familiar with but like their sound. Maybe a pair of Definitive Technology BP7000SC or to save some money maybe the BP7001SC since I'l be buying a servo controlled sub (maybe Velodyne)and will not have a problem with low end, still thinkin though. What about Dynaudio? I am not familiar with that company since there are no dealers very close, but if worth the look I would definitely make the trip.
    "It takes an idiot to recognize a genious."

  6. #6
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,559
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Good Googly Moogly!!!

    For $8 large, do you have any idea how many choices you have?? Just off the top of my head I'd be listening to Maggie 3.6, Martin Logan Acsent i, Von Schweikert's VR4IIIse's or VR5's, Gallo Nucleus Ref, B&W Nauts, Vandersteen 3a, Meadowlark Nighthawks, good Lord...the list goes on and on.

    Get out there and listen my good man, you'll find what you're looking for.
    Topspeed - sound advice

    Yes I want to add that i made ONE suggestion of a brand I know very well - but quite right is to add several brands to the list anytime you are considering speakers - Reference 3a, Gersman acoustics(depending which ones), PMC, Dynaudio, Jean-Marie Reynaud, Spendor, Harbeth, ATC, Castle, Sonus Faber, Legacy, and on and on.

  7. #7
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    494

    Uh, ohh... lol.. RGA...

    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Topspeed - sound advice

    Yes I want to add that i made ONE suggestion of a brand I know very well - but quite right is to add several brands to the list anytime you are considering speakers - Reference 3a, Gersman acoustics(depending which ones), PMC, Dynaudio, Jean-Marie Reynaud, Spendor, Harbeth, ATC, Castle, Sonus Faber, Legacy, and on and on.
    is once again suggesting stuff he has not heard :*)

    No matter... his earliest Paradigm Atom demo was "the worst" he has ever heard.. now, it's on his "recommended list".. give the Studio 100s, v3 a year... they might make the grade :*)

    Just kidding, but making a point.. (sorta...)

  8. #8
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by meephis
    I recently read a review in which someone said that they did not like the way paradigm handled music. I was tossing around the idea of purchasing the Paradigm S8, does anyone here own a pair or have a good evaluation of their music abilities? Any notible concerns? Would appreciate any feedback.-Thanx
    Well, I did a fairly extensive audition of the Paradigm Signature S8 in a store, using a number of my own CDs, and it is simply one of the finest speakers I have ever heard, a real joy to listen to. Being uncoloured, neutral speakers they just let the music through. They image extremely well and don't call attention to themselves. It is so neutral that it is hard to evaluate, I just want to listen to the music. Male and female vocals, full orchestra, mixed chorus, piano, guitar, harpsichord, medieval, Renaissance, baroque, classical, romantic, modern, contemporary--they handled anything I threw at them very well.

    Concerns? Well, not much. They don't go down to the deepest bass below 25 Hz, but then few speakers do. If you need that, then get a big subwoofer. On the other hand, if you are going to get a subwoofer, one its smaller siblings would no doubt do unless you play extremely loudly.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

  9. #9
    AR Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sterling,IL
    Posts
    50

    Sonus Faber?

    I must say I am more familiar with the Sonus Faber, my only concern was that they were designed more to classical music and might not fit the bill for the other genres that I listen to. Do u think they would be a good speaker with rock, hip-hop, pop, energy, & instrumental-(they will obviously do this one) I know they are amazing with classical music but I wasn't sure how they would do with the rest, as I listen to pretty much anything I can get my hands on. And if so what about Vienna Acoustics?
    "It takes an idiot to recognize a genious."

  10. #10
    Just passing thru topspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,619
    SF's are arguably the most beautiful speakers made. Their sound is laid back and somewhat colored albeit quite musical. Whether or not you like their colorations is up to you. They wouldn't be my first choice for rock and electronica but they will hold their own. They remind me of Vandy's, although the latter are more neutral.

    FWIW Meephis, I feel your pain. I live in the middle of BFE and was driving all over the state of California looking for the right speakers. Thankfully, I found them but only after many miles were covered. Think of this as a journey where getting there is half the fun.

    Actually, for the more demented members here, I think auditioning is actually more fun than buying!

  11. #11
    It's just a hobby
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    812
    If you are considering the SF, I will seriously suggest an audition them with all music genres that you like, if you are really up to it, I will suggest that you seek out an ex-dem Guarneri, it is an oh so wonderful sounding speaker, with limited bass, but the topend and soundstage is oh so sweet and beautiful, IMHO opinion the Cremona Auditor does not come close. I have speakers that are more neutral and versatile than the SFs but if I ever get smitten by Italian exotica, the Guarneri mated to one of the Pathos range ( Classic One maybe) is where I will camp . Beautiful sound married to beautiful looks. , An SF subwoofer mated with the Guarneri might give you the best of both worlds.

  12. #12
    3db
    3db is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    483
    I read through these posts and the 1st thing I see is how the S8 are discounted and they'vce never been heard by any of you. How the hell you can discount a speaker when you yourselves, have never heard them. This is BS, lacks merit and is based on pure speculation.

    RGA , stop listening to your sales buddy and listen to them for yourself. He doesn't have your ears nor do you have his.. Again utter crap and nonsense.

    Let me post you some reviews done on the PBS's platinum series speakers to show you how close the y have come in performance to the megabuck speakers;

    http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/psb_platinum_m2.htm

    http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/psb_platinum_t6.htm



    My point is, people are discounting speakers based on the rep of the lower line speakers and that has no merit what so ever. Listen 1st with an open ear and then if you don't like.. fine.. But at least now its an informed decisision and not one made on specualtion and heresay.

  13. #13
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chester County, PA
    Posts
    239
    meephis,

    Regarding your concerns about Sonus Faber, the Concert Series never sounded right to me with rock/pop/electronica. I chose a pair of Vienna Acoustics Mozarts over the Grand Piano's when I worked at Tweeter.

    The system they went into was aspiring to audiophile ideals on a budget and consisted of a Musical Fidelity A3 Integrated Amp and Rega Planet 2000 CD Player. I'd pick up so-called "reference discs" with great sound quality yada yada yada. I lived with the Mozarts for over two years. About half way through my time with them I built a dedicated music/theater room. I ditched the MF Integrated for multi-channel Rotel separates and hung on to the Rega.

    I found myself listening less and less to my favorite rock albums (98% of my collection) and eventually less to music at all. When I purchased the speakers I convinced myself that something leaning to the sweet/warm/laid-back end of the HiFi spectrum was what I needed to make the less-than-ideal rock recordings more tolerable. As time went on it became apparent to me that the reason I wasn't listening and enjoying my favorite music on the best system I'd ever had was because it conveyed ZERO emotion. Sure, things sounded nice and well-mannered but is that really how rock and roll should sound?

    Through the Rotel things sounded different, slightly better in some respects and not as good in others, than they did with the Musical Fidelity. Still, those differences were slight and I felt simple adaptaions for me. The biggest contributing factor had to be the speakers.

    I recalled the time when I first began searching for speakers, just months prior to getting hired by T. I auditioned everything in my area in my price range: B&W, Energy, Mirage, Sonus Faber, Vienna Acoustics, Monitor Audio, Totem, Paradigm, etc. I remembered how "right" the Paradigm Studio 60's sounded with one of my favorite albums, Sloan's "Navy Blues". Was it just the Canadian band played over Canadian speakers through a Canadian integrated (Bryston)?? No, other albums sounded right as well. The friend I had brought that day agreed as we discussed the audition over lunch.

    I got hired before I had made my mind up by T so I put off a purchase until the employee discount kicked in. It came down to Grand Pianos or Mozarts...you know which one won.

    After I decided the speakers were letting me down the most the first brand I chose to audition was Paradigm's Studio line, now in version 3. This time my budget was nearly 5x what it was before and I went right for the 100's. During my initial audition the Signature Series wasn't even available at my dealer. The 100's put that smile back onto my face that I had lacked so long. The foot was tapping again! Not only did they rock but even the classical, acoustic, and jazz I threw at them sounded great!

    I auditioned the usual subjects in my area once again in my price range. I kept going back to the Paradigm sound. I've lived with a full Studiov3 setup for the past 7 months and have, to use the cliche, been rediscovering albums I had bought and not enjoyed over my time with the Viennas. I've since replaced my Rega CD Player with an Arcam and things are just right now...I'm a very happy camper.

    I've sent you a PM to discuss my experience with the Sig 8. This post was to simply give you MY opinion of the Vienna sound versus the Paradigm sound. You might have a completely different opinion if you were to hear them with your favorite recordings.

    Good luck in your search for YOUR perfect speaker...just remember to have fun selecting.

    BillB

  14. #14
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by meephis
    I must say I am more familiar with the Sonus Faber, my only concern was that they were designed more to classical music and might not fit the bill for the other genres that I listen to. Do u think they would be a good speaker with rock, hip-hop, pop, energy, & instrumental-(they will obviously do this one) I know they are amazing with classical music but I wasn't sure how they would do with the rest, as I listen to pretty much anything I can get my hands on. And if so what about Vienna Acoustics?
    My opinion is that a good speaker should be good for all types of music, with some allowance made for low frequency limits. I don't listen to very much rock and pop, but I do listen to some jazz, world, and so on. It depends on what you expect a rock speaker, I suppose. The big Paradigms have excellent bass capabilities, but you must remember that bass response is greatly influenced by placements.

    http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/me..._signature_s8/

    I haven't listened to the smaller S2 as extensively, but what I heard I liked a lot.

    I heard the Sonus Faber Concerto Grand Piano, too, and liked it. I could easily live with them, too. The Vienna Acoustic speakers seem to have a dip in the upper midrange which makes them just too laid back even for me, but they seem to be very well made speakers and throw a wide image.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

  15. #15
    AR Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sterling,IL
    Posts
    50

    Good info

    I like hearing different opinions and I will soon have to haul myself to the nearest tweeter which is about 80 miles away to listen to the Sonus Faber and Vienna Acoustics and then to my nearest Paradigm dealer which is 45 miles away AND in the other direction (feel my pain ) and see for myself but I haven't ruled out the Paradigms yet I am simply looking into the difference between the S8 and the studio 100.
    "It takes an idiot to recognize a genious."

  16. #16
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    883

    Impressions of thePSB Platinums?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3db
    I read through these posts and the 1st thing I see is how the S8 are discounted and they'vce never been heard by any of you. How the hell you can discount a speaker when you yourselves, have never heard them. This is BS, lacks merit and is based on pure speculation.

    RGA , stop listening to your sales buddy and listen to them for yourself. He doesn't have your ears nor do you have his.. Again utter crap and nonsense.

    Let me post you some reviews done on the PBS's platinum series speakers to show you how close the y have come in performance to the megabuck speakers;

    http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/psb_platinum_m2.htm

    http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/psb_platinum_t6.htm



    My point is, people are discounting speakers based on the rep of the lower line speakers and that has no merit what so ever. Listen 1st with an open ear and then if you don't like.. fine.. But at least now its an informed decisision and not one made on specualtion and heresay.
    Any of us? I have heard the Paradigm Signature S8 at some length and the S2 more briefly, maybe 20-25 minutes. Both are really fine speakers. I find them to be more neutral than the Reference Series, which still are very good and can sound fine on a lot of material.

    The PSB Stratus line sound very good to me, which is why I bought the Stratus Minis. I would like to hear the PSB Platinum speakers but so far I haven't managed to do so. There were very favorable reviews in Audio Ideas Guide and in Stereophile as well as in Soundstage. Have you heard any of the Platinums? If so, what were your impressions?
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

  17. #17
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy C
    is once again suggesting stuff he has not heard :*)

    No matter... his earliest Paradigm Atom demo was "the worst" he has ever heard.. now, it's on his "recommended list".. give the Studio 100s, v3 a year... they might make the grade :*)

    Just kidding, but making a point.. (sorta...)
    I am not recommending anything - recommending to audition speakers and giving a list - no one can hear everything The speakers I have not heard are from Jean-Marie Reynaud, Spendor, Harbeth, ATC, the rest I have heard. The point is to listen to as much as possible.

    I recommended the Atom V3 and the Atom V2 my view has not changed. But then I said that in my review.

  18. #18
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,559
    Quote Originally Posted by 3db
    I read through these posts and the 1st thing I see is how the S8 are discounted and they'vce never been heard by any of you. How the hell you can discount a speaker when you yourselves, have never heard them. This is BS, lacks merit and is based on pure speculation.

    RGA , stop listening to your sales buddy and listen to them for yourself. He doesn't have your ears nor do you have his.. Again utter crap and nonsense.

    Let me post you some reviews done on the PBS's platinum series speakers to show you how close the y have come in performance to the megabuck speakers;

    http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/psb_platinum_m2.htm

    http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/psb_platinum_t6.htm



    My point is, people are discounting speakers based on the rep of the lower line speakers and that has no merit what so ever. Listen 1st with an open ear and then if you don't like.. fine.. But at least now its an informed decisision and not one made on specualtion and heresay.
    I'm not discounting them - my post discusses ifs. If it sounds like this then stay clear if not then it might be an option I am not against Paradigm coming out with a speaker 4 times the price of the Studio 100V2 - it just better not sound "like" the 100V2 in a nice finish. If they do sound like it then yes discounts will be along soon no doubt which may make them more attractive - none of this has to do with sound - I would like to hear what Paradigm has come up with --- I am always hopeful us Canadians can do something good on the speaker front and make world class speakers - still waiting but I'm hopeful the Energy Veritas 2.8 is a fine speaker so we're getting there - and some of the Gershman's are etting there although I was not a fan of their flagship speakers for the money and they seemed to have pulled out of BC - or maybe moved.

  19. #19
    3db
    3db is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    483

    Nope Not had the chance yet

    I went to my local PSB retailer about a month ago to hear the revamped imgae series, particlaurily the T45 as they are my next acquisition. I forgot to ask them if they would bring in the Platinum series. I wish I had the cash for even the Stratus series but I don't. So I have to face the reality and go for the Image series. At least with the image series, I still feel like I'm getting a very fine sounding speaker and not settling for something less. I did some extensive auditioning between Paradigm's monitor series and PSB's image series and felt that PSB was just that little better. Had a tighter bass response and the treble sounded just a little warmer. I guess when they are that close in sound, it comes to personal tastes.






    Quote Originally Posted by Pat D
    Any of us? I have heard the Paradigm Signature S8 at some length and the S2 more briefly, maybe 20-25 minutes. Both are really fine speakers. I find them to be more neutral than the Reference Series, which still are very good and can sound fine on a lot of material.

    The PSB Stratus line sound very good to me, which is why I bought the Stratus Minis. I would like to hear the PSB Platinum speakers but so far I haven't managed to do so. There were very favorable reviews in Audio Ideas Guide and in Stereophile as well as in Soundstage. Have you heard any of the Platinums? If so, what were your impressions?

  20. #20
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,559
    Quote Originally Posted by 3db
    I went to my local PSB retailer about a month ago to hear the revamped imgae series, particlaurily the T45 as they are my next acquisition. I forgot to ask them if they would bring in the Platinum series. I wish I had the cash for even the Stratus series but I don't. So I have to face the reality and go for the Image series. At least with the image series, I still feel like I'm getting a very fine sounding speaker and not settling for something less. I did some extensive auditioning between Paradigm's monitor series and PSB's image series and felt that PSB was just that little better. Had a tighter bass response and the treble sounded just a little warmer. I guess when they are that close in sound, it comes to personal tastes.

    If it's close in sound to the monitor series - why not consider a used speaker? PSB I generally like more than Paradigm's as well but this one is a 2.5 way design which some feel poses some problems. (not necessarily me but some do). Also why not a standmount and a sub - I presume if you're looking at PSB and Paradigm your intention is home theater.

  21. #21
    3db
    3db is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    483

    I heard the ImageT45s and my jaws dropped

    Hi heard Dianna Krall being played by these speakres using a NAD A/V receiver and a NAD cdplayer . It was so life like, I could feel her tongue slipping into my mouth. Its not often I heard midrange sound so open so big as I did here. Not in your face but just there present as if she was singing to me. The bass was tight, treble was present and smooth, no hint of brightness. Imaging was solid and soundsatge was deep. My intentions are 60/40 music/HT. I'm currently using Image 1B's as my mains along with a PSB subsonic 5 but my Technics receiver isn't flexable enough to provide a seemless cross-over between sub and mains. I also am sort of stuck with my room layout for the time being. .

    You asked me if I would consider standmounts. After hearing the T45s, I don't think I would gain anything by going with standmounts with out considerably upping my budget.


    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    If it's close in sound to the monitor series - why not consider a used speaker? PSB I generally like more than Paradigm's as well but this one is a 2.5 way design which some feel poses some problems. (not necessarily me but some do). Also why not a standmount and a sub - I presume if you're looking at PSB and Paradigm your intention is home theater.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-14-2013, 08:44 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-20-2004, 03:34 PM
  3. Denon or HK with Paradigm?
    By jasmit in forum Speakers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 07:22 PM
  4. Paradigm Subwoofer question
    By RGA in forum Speakers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 10:11 PM
  5. Paradigm Monitor, Infinity Alpha for HT?
    By brisa_da_praia in forum Speakers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 05:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest AudioReview Articles

Hot Deals

Latest News

AudioReview on Facebook