AR Newbie Registered Member

Need help picking a speaker system!

Hello everyone,

I am trying to decide on a speaker system to complete my home theater system. I have some unusual requirements, which has made this challenging:
    1. The front 3 speakers MUST be able to be CEILING mounted (long story, but I cannot do In or On walls). I am willing to purchase additional brackets, if necessary, to help mount the speakers to the ceiling.
    2. I would prefer 5 white speakers, but would settle for silver. Black is not an option.
    3. I already own a powered sub (Klipsch RW-12), so that is not a critical deciding factor.
    4. Max budget of 2k.
    5. Room is 15' W x 25' D, 7.5' H.
    6. Receiver is a Yamaha RXV2400.

I have researched and considered the following (in no particular order):
    1. KEF KHT2005.2 system (read great things, have not listened yet though)
    2. B&W LM1 x 5 (heard and liked, but a little concerned that center might be too small)
    3. Orb Audio Mod2 system (does anyone have specs for these speakers?... are they 4,6 or 8ohm?)
    4. Paradigm Quantum system (heard and liked, but are very boxy and have black grills)
    5. Polk Atrium 65 x 3 and FXi3 x 2 (concerned about polk's recent quality dip)

Please provide any insights that you might have on these 5 options...
    Thanks so much for your help!!!
    Zach
    Last edited by zachary; 03-23-2004 at 04:56 AM.

Forum Regular
    Hi Zach

Of the speakers mentioned, I own the KEF's and listened to the LM1's. I've also listened to Linn Unik's, Martin Logan Fresco, B&W VM series and Boston Micro's.

My KEF's are standmount (KEF KHT dedicated stands) and the center on is positioned on my TV. I am driving it with a Rotel 1055 75w p/channel receiver. I've heard all the other speakers, except the Martin Logan's with this Rotel receiver.

The KEF's do perform to accolades. Definitely the best sub/sat system in its class. It outperforms both the LM1's (very thin sounding in comparison) and the VM series (Sounds dull in comparison). However for stereo imaging, the Linn's are the best. I do not know you're preference towards music HT, but the KEF's are very good with both. The Linns are excellent with music, and very good with HT. However it is quite finicky in matching. My review is based on the Rotel with a an additional Linn sub (quite pricey). They do look divine in white...

No budget constraints - get the Martin Logans. The best overall but need decent amplification (however the ceiling mount needs to be investigated).

For an average set-up (receiver-wise) which looks good, the KEF's will not disappoint.

Just last week I was listen to some Velodyne satelittes and thought they sounded good. I was comparing them to some energy sats which were also good. But in my opinion the Velodynes were better, and they come in silver, so check em out.
    I had a pair of B&W LM1's briefly. I had this problem of my receiver going into protect mode when I turned up the volume. I determined the problem was one speaker. So I took it back to the store, the saleman opened it up. There was an exposed wire that with enough vibration would short out. I ended up trading them for DM601's.

Forum Regular

Cool Suggestion only

Quote Originally Posted by zachary
    Hello everyone,

I am trying to decide on a speaker system to complete my home theater system. I have some unusual requirements, which has made this challenging:
    1. The front 3 speakers MUST be able to be CEILING mounted (long story, but I cannot do In or On walls). I am willing to purchase additional brackets, if necessary, to help mount the speakers to the ceiling.
    2. I would prefer 5 white speakers, but would settle for silver. Black is not an option.
    3. I already own a powered sub (Klipsch RW-12), so that is not a critical deciding factor.
    4. Max budget of 2k.
    5. Room is 15' W x 25' D, 7.5' H.
    6. Receiver is a Yamaha RXV2400.

I have researched and considered the following (in no particular order):
    1. KEF KHT2005.2 system (read great things, have not listened yet though)
    2. B&W LM1 x 5 (heard and liked, but a little concerned that center might be too small)
    3. Orb Audio Mod2 system (does anyone have specs for these speakers?... are they 4,6 or 8ohm?)
    4. Paradigm Quantum system (heard and liked, but are very boxy and have black grills)
    5. Polk Atrium 65 x 3 and FXi3 x 2 (concerned about polk's recent quality dip)

Please provide any insights that you might have on these 5 options...
    Thanks so much for your help!!!
    Zach
    Zach you might want to have a look at these Bostons .... I haven't listened to them so can't comment but they do meet your color and mounting requirentments with flexiblity to be Wall, shelf, floor or ceiling mounted and the mounting bracket comes with the speaker.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/hs_pr...2&CategoryID=5

Mike

Thread Information