Forum Regular

my first subwoofer!!!

hey guys!! well im looking to buy a subwoofer to keep building my audio system...currently i have a onkyo nr609, a pair of PSB B5s(which i love) a NAD t550 as a cd player and a stanton t92 turntable.... im planning on buying the center speaker, but i heard that if im more in to music than to watching movies, i should go first for the sub... so that said ive been looking around and ive found a couple that ive liked... my budget is 250, but i think for this price i can get a real good deal... so guys can you give me any recomendations as to brands? watts? etc...
    thanks guys i really aprpreciate it! im really excited of the system im building!!

cheers!

I would take a look at audiogon for a good used sub like this-

B&W ASW600 incl UPS Ground lower 48 states | Subwoofers | AudiogoN

I bought a used Martin Logan Dynamo sub for $300 on audiogon, the list price was $700. I would try to go this route for more bang for the buck. Be patient for a few weeks as new listings pop up all the time. That B&W sub above is a very good sub. It is non ported and will give you some nice musical tight bass. I would stick with musical sounding subs to pair with those B5's. Your PSB B5's will sound great with sub. I bought a pair of PSB B6's for my son. They really don't need a sub, but I gave my son my old Velodyne sub and they sound that much better.

Here are a few inexpensive New subs that would serve you well-

Amazon.com: Energy ESW-C8 8-Inch Subwoofer (Black): Electronics

Mirage Omni S8 Subwoofer - 100 Watt

Amazon.com: Energy ESW-C10 10-Inch 400 Watt Subwoofer (Black): Electronics

The Mirage and Energy subs are made by the same parent company and perform very well.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Thanks blackraven i will definitely look in to them.. actually i bought the B5s because i didnt have enought at the moment for the B6s, but later on im thinking of buying them and having the B5s as rears... ofcourse it all depends on the budget, but for now im going for the sub, after that im thinking of a center speaker, probably PSB as well, so im getting there!!

thanks again!! and any other recomendations as for speakers, avrs, cd/dvd players etc.. are more than welcome, i need all the help i can get to get the most on a budget!!!

Quote Originally Posted by limonv View Post
    Thanks blackraven i will definitely look in to them.. actually i bought the B5s because i didnt have enought at the moment for the B6s, but later on im thinking of buying them and having the B5s as rears... ofcourse it all depends on the budget, but for now im going for the sub, after that im thinking of a center speaker, probably PSB as well, so im getting there!!

thanks again!! and any other recomendations as for speakers, avrs, cd/dvd players etc.. are more than welcome, i need all the help i can get to get the most on a budget!!!

If you decide on the B6's, and other PSB speakers, check out Saturday Audio
    I bought B-stock B's from them and saved $100 on the pair. I cant even tell why they are B-Stock. Saturday Audio is running a sale on their B-stock PSB speakrs right now. They have the 2 PSB Image Center speakers on sale.

For a Budget AVR, look into Onkyo and make sure you get the model with the Preamp out so you can upgrade to a dedicated amp in the future and use the AVR as a preamp. For a CD player , I would consider a budget DAC if you already have a player with digital outputs. Otherwise look into the Marantz 5004 CD player.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    thanks!!
    actually i bought the onkyo nr609 due to recommendations, but im not sure if it has the preamp out!!
    as to the PSB sale on saturdyaudio, i think im going for the C5 and the energy esw-c8, and hopefully will be satisfied with them! after that definitely im gonna save a few hundreds so i can get my hands on those B6 ive been wanting!
    ill let you know how it goes!!

thanks again!

Thread Information