Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    that is quite the deal on the Beta 20s.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    I would also consider these over the primus 162's (we own a pair of infinity 160's)

Boston CS26's http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BOCS26

NHT Absolute Zero's http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NHTAZ I listened to these head to head with the Paradigms and it was no contest. My friend and I thought that the NHT's sounded better and smoother than the Paradigms with better bass.

PSB Image B4's http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBIMB4

PBS B-15's http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBIMB15

PSB B-25's http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBIMB25

I would also take this Infinity Beta 20 over the Primus. I like the sound of the Beta's for their price range.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...069&CatId=4598

IMHO, these are all much better than the Infinity's and the look better than the 162's with that funky new grill they put on them. Out of this group, the NHT's and Boston's will have the warmest sound, then the Infinity beta. The Others tend to slightly lean to the bright side of neutral.

Forum Regular

Hello again..

Quote Originally Posted by mcbr1
    Hi LeRoy,
    The 902is certainly seem like a good buy. Tell me about you music preferences and your listening habits. What are you using the 902is for? What's driving them?

Thanks.
    The music I listen to is mostly Jazz and New Age Music. I do have some louder music like 9 Inch Nails, Bonnie Raitt, Sheryl Crow, Jesse Cook, and Sade to name a few.

The speakers sit atop 39" Atacama speaker stands, and the amplification I am using is the Belles Soloist 5 amp with the Belles Soloist 3 Pre-amp, and speaker wire is a bi-wired set of Chord Carnival Silver Screen with bananna's. The amp is rated at 65 watts per channel. As far as listening habits, I listen to musica every day at mostly low to moderate listening levels and then crank it up on the weekends

A little bit of info regarding the M.S. They came with a label attached to the speaker foam protective wrap which read the speakers would break in after 36 hours of continuous use. I found that to be true for the tweeter and mid's but it was my perception that the bass took 3 weeks to fully break in. It was worth the wait!

The speakers are rear ported but I have yet to hear any chuff whatsoever even when I crank it up to 3:00. Also, I have yet to hear the speakers distort any any volume. The 902i's always remain composed and when I crank it up I go check to see how much energy is coming out the back of the port... there is some passing of air but not really that much. Surprised I was to find that most of the bass energy is directed from the front of the woofer to the listener. The back of the speakers are placed 17.25" from the back wall and 27" from the side walls and I have them toed-in about 35 degrees as I prefer to listen from 12-14 feet away.

I bought this speaker based on the recommendation from my local audio dealer and I had no audition of them before I bought them. I would buy another product unheard from M.S. again because the are that good of a buy. It's a quality product through and through.

Hope this helps you out some. If you have any more questions just shoot another message here..

LeRoy

Suspended
    Yeah, a friend has the Atoms and I think he said they are only rated to play down to 90 or 100 Hz, so that would leave off some serious low end without a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy
    The music I listen to is mostly Jazz and New Age Music. I do have some louder music like 9 Inch Nails, Bonnie Raitt, Sheryl Crow, Jesse Cook, and Sade to name a few.

The speakers sit atop 39" Atacama speaker stands, and the amplification I am using is the Belles Soloist 5 amp with the Belles Soloist 3 Pre-amp, and speaker wire is a bi-wired set of Chord Carnival Silver Screen with bananna's. The amp is rated at 65 watts per channel. As far as listening habits, I listen to musica every day at mostly low to moderate listening levels and then crank it up on the weekends

A little bit of info regarding the M.S. They came with a label attached to the speaker foam protective wrap which read the speakers would break in after 36 hours of continuous use. I found that to be true for the tweeter and mid's but it was my perception that the bass took 3 weeks to fully break in. It was worth the wait!

The speakers are rear ported but I have yet to hear any chuff whatsoever even when I crank it up to 3:00. Also, I have yet to hear the speakers distort any any volume. The 902i's always remain composed and when I crank it up I go check to see how much energy is coming out the back of the port... there is some passing of air but not really that much. Surprised I was to find that most of the bass energy is directed from the front of the woofer to the listener. The back of the speakers are placed 17.25" from the back wall and 27" from the side walls and I have them toed-in about 35 degrees as I prefer to listen from 12-14 feet away.

I bought this speaker based on the recommendation from my local audio dealer and I had no audition of them before I bought them. I would buy another product unheard from M.S. again because the are that good of a buy. It's a quality product through and through.

Hope this helps you out some. If you have any more questions just shoot another message here..

LeRoy
    Leroy glad to read that you are happy with the MS speakers. This is a brand I had always been interested in and was thinking of making a purchase of the MS Mezzo's. I did briefly get a chance to listen to a pair in Carolina, but when I decided to by in St. Louis, Accessories for less sold out and would not be getting more.

I had always loved the look of Canton speakers but had never listen to any of their speaker, but they too got wonderful reviews. So I purchased them never having a chance to listen to them. Once they got broken in, they where very good speakers and sense then adding good interconnect cables and speaker cables, the speakers are the real deal. I would rate them a 10 on a scale of 1-10.

It seems to me that there are plenty of very good speakers made in Europe and sold in America that don't have great sales here and are not popular.Just enough sales to keep the lines in America. These speaker are rather very popular and have great sales over seas, but are rarely sold here and are not very well known. Because sales are not great, those who do buy them benefit with a great price break on great speakers. I know I got a great deal on my Cantons...if this same speaker where made in America or had very good sales in America,and where popular, they would sale for much more than what they sale for now.... and from looking at what you paid at Accessories4less I know you got a good deal on quality speakers a well.

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular

Yes, you are correct....

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Leroy glad to read that you are happy with the MS speakers. This is a brand I had always been interested in and was thinking of making a purchase of the MS Mezzo's. I did briefly get a chance to listen to a pair in Carolina, but when I decided to by in St. Louis, Accessories for less sold out and would not be getting more.

I had always loved the look of Canton speakers but had never listen to any of their speaker, but they too got wonderful reviews. So I purchased them never having a chance to listen to them. Once they got broken in, they where very good speakers and sense then adding good interconnect cables and speaker cables, the speakers are the real deal. I would rate them a 10 on a scale of 1-10.

It seems to me that there are plenty of very good speakers made in Europe and sold in America that don't have great sales here and are not popular.Just enough sales to keep the lines in America. These speaker are rather very popular and have great sales over seas, but are rarely sold here and are not very well known. Because sales are not great, those who do buy them benefit with a great price break on great speakers. I know I got a great deal on my Cantons...if this same speaker where made in America or had very good sales in America,and where popular, they would sale for much more than what they sale for now.... and from looking at what you paid at Accessories4less I know you got a good deal on quality speakers a well.

frenchmon
    I've found quite a gem in the M.S. product. I do have the Mezzo 6 on the radar and I may decide to make a purchase on them as soon as next year if I can get a good price on them which I think I can. I will let you know what's going on with that when the time comes.

Here in the San Antonio, TX area, we have an audio retailer that used to carry Canton speakers but that was many years ago and I have forgotten what they sounded like. I know they look really nice and have read positive reviews on them too and hopefully I will happen upon some Canton's for a listen soon. Good to know you are enjoying maximum musicality from your audio system now that you've added some new IC's and speaker wire. It's amazing what tweaks/upgrades can do for more enjoyment of the music presentation.

Ya, lucky us that we can find under the radar quality products that don't bust the bank!
    Enjoy the music

LeRoy

Forum Regular
    Boy, and I thought I had problems what with 3 resident cats - the first cat completely tore up a huge full frequency range cone speaker before I had the chance to listen to it!! That completely eliminates the Magnepans from my list of speakers.
    And no, I do not have any experience with little ones.....
    Good luck!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information