Forum Regular

Mixing Klipsch Speakers for Home Theater?

I'm in the market for a good 5.1 speaker system. I'm thinking about going with four Klipsch SS-1 surround speakers, the Klipsch RSW-10 subwoofer, and either the Klipsch SC-1 or the B.I.C. America DV62CLR center channel. What do people think about this? I'm concerned about mixing and matching different quality speakers, even from the same manufacturer.

A couple of suggestion...

I've owned a lot of Klipsch speakers over the years and plenty of BIC gear as well.. I've a few suggestions.

First, I wouldn't go with SS-1 surrounds. Surrounds don't make good mains. Get yourself a new or used set of KSB-3's or SB-3's for mains and used the SS-1's for surrounds.

Second. Either the SC-1 or the BIC- 62CLR are great center's you can't go wrong with either one.

I've no experience with Klipsch subs. I'd recommend getting a Hsu VTF-2, best sub for the money around, delivered to your door.

Da Worfster

Forum Regular
    Thanks. I guess I revealed my ignorance when I said that I would use four surrounds. I gather that you don't think it's important to mate the subwoofer to the rest of the speaker system? My impression is that you can mix and match there without the same type of problems that you might encounter elsewhere.

Forum Regular
    BIC and Klipsch have different dB. ratings. This would not be a good match.

Forum Regular
    Thanks. I've elected not to go with Klipsch.

It doesn't matter if the sensitivity rating is different, what do you think you're suppose to do with the channel level settings on the receiver? Just cause the speaker is more efficient doesn't mean it won't sound good. Having the same speaker in different positions in the room will yield different sensitivities, does this mean it won't match it's identical speaker in a different position? I think not.

-Joey

Forum Regular
    I simply stated that mixing speakers with different sensitivity ratings is not a good idea.

I think not. This might help.

http://www.users.muohio.edu/corsilcj/impdsens.htm

No, it's not necessary to match subs and mains.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallis
    Thanks. I guess I revealed my ignorance when I said that I would use four surrounds. I gather that you don't think it's important to mate the subwoofer to the rest of the speaker system? My impression is that you can mix and match there without the same type of problems that you might encounter elsewhere.
    Bass is by nature "omnidirectional". That's why you can hear dem booming systems from miles away. While some subs go louder and some subs go deeper and some subs are more articulate than others, these things are a function of the quality of the sub... not it's brand name or relationship to your mains.

David

I know the power to decibel ratio given a speakers sensitivity. What I'm saying is you can bring the Klipsch's sensitivity down and matched with the rest of your speakers by getting an spl meter and set your speakers so they all have the same volume at your seating position.

Thread Information