Utmostjamin1

amp for klipsch reference speakers

I am running Klipsch Reference series speakers with a onkyo tx-sr900 receiver the combo sounds good but id like to up the wattage from 110 to 150 watts to 200 watts. can anyone recomend a specific brand that is better with klipsch ? i would prefer something that is better for music than home theater. prob a good two channel amp and i will drive the center and surrounds with the receiver. i know klipsch are highly efficient i just want some more oomph.
    budget is around or under 2000

Forum Regular

Want to try a cheap experiment?

Find an old Crown DC300A, conservatively rated at 155wpc 8 ohm, has closer to 190 with no audible distortion. You can buy them used for $200 to $300 and I guarantee that it will do things to your Klipsch that you've never heard before. When these amps were made, they were considered by many to be the finest amplifiers ever built. They are closing in on 30 years old but still work perfectly and will outperform much of what is being built today. Like I said, it's a cheap experiment, make sure it's guaranteed to work, if you don't like it, you should be able to get your money back by selling it. If a warranty is worth $1700 to you, buy something new in a separate amp that has around 200wpc with low distortion .5 or less at the rated output and less at lower output. It should also bring your Klipsch to life. Have fun,
    Bill

The following link is a white paper on the sherbourn TST 2/200 amp.
    It is a two channel amp producing 200 watts in 8ohm and 400 into 4ohm.
    It is capable of driving 1ohm speakers if necessary. Cost is $1000.00.
    Personally, I have never auditioned one but the reviews I've read are good.

http://www.sherbourn.com/PDF/TST_2_2...Tech_Paper.pdf

hope this helps. Paul

Forum Regular

Two questions

What are the Klipsch's rated sensitivity?
    What is their nominal impedance?

Utmostjamin1

amp for klipsch speakers

the nominal impediance is 8 ohms, the Mains have an sensitivity of 102 db the center and 4 surrounds are 99db they are efficient i just have gotten to the point where id like some more punch. everyone seems to think there is a night and day difference with a seperate amp rather than a receiver. while my Onkyo does sound decent with music its clear its more suited to home theater. what i want to do is add a 2 or 3 channel amp to drive the fronts. I want thank everyone who has replied. Also does anyone have opionions on adcoms amps?
    Last edited by jamison; 11-18-2003 at 10:00 PM.

Forum Regular

Separates, yes

You will hear a difference the first time you try them. I have been using separates since 1975 and will never go back. If I ever get a home theater system, I may need a receiver but I look at this as having nothing to do with stereo. If you are able to combine the two to your satisfaction, good for you, I won't even try. Not trying to be snobbish here, I consider them to be completely different entities with completely different purposes in mind. And remember, I don't own an HT setup.
    I heard an Adcom (GFA555, I think) amp in a store demo a few years ago and I thought it sounded very good. At any rate, it was a 200wpc separate amp. I believe Hi Fi Tommy uses an Adcom and he's happy with it. I think you could use a number of different amps for your purpose and would be happy with the results. If the power rating is real and the distortion is low, it will bring your speakers to life. You can worry about picking apart the little nuances later. The speakers will provide the biggest single signature to the sound of your system. Give them a good clean power supply and they'll be happy and so will you.
    I don't know what power Klipsch says your speakers can handle but I like to be at or near what they can handle. If you do this, you won't be disappointed, I don't care what the sensitivity is. You may get some differing opinions on this but if they can take it, I'm going to give it to them. In my experience, this will always give you the most from your speaker system. I have demonstrated this to many system owners who had a big integrated amp or receiver by hooking a good powerful separate amp into their systems. Bringing the speakers to life is the best analagy that I can think of. Try it, you'll like it.
    Bill

AR Newbie Registered Member
    easy, do your self a favor and look into the
    Rotel RMB-1095 - 200 watts x 5 into 8 ohms

you will not be dissapointed...

Forum Regular

I can't see the need for more power!

With speakers that have a sensitivity as high as yours, 110 watts is way more than enough power. Your speakers can be driven by a flea power SET. I agree, a seperate amp is better, but I don't think you would hear a night and day difference. But you would hear a difference none the less.

I think what you need is not quantity but QUALITY! Remember, when you double power you only increase the volume of your system by 3db. As for punch, again quality is the issue, not quantity. I'm not sure what kind of budget, if any, that you have. If you can swing it go for the quality. Rotel, Adcom, and NAD are good. I like amps from McCormack, Bryston, and Marsh Sond Design. But the latter are much more expensive then the former. !oo watts is moer than enough for your speakers! Again, go for the QUALITY over quantity.

Forum Regular

Watt the...

...you already have over 100 WPC, a very sensitive speaker and you want more power?!?!?!? If you were to actually use the extra 100 WPC from a, for eg., 200 WPC amp, you're probably looking at hearing damage.

It is true though, more "oomph" can be had using a better amp. Many receivers lack the better toroidal trans or the big filter caps that you need
    for increased dynamics. I think you should go for quality over quantity... you might find a 70 WPC Rotel or Adcom will give a better sense of "slam" than some 125 WPC receivers. Not always in the watts, but in the parts selection.

So.. if you have pre-outs, you can add one of many amps, a few have already been mentioned. A used (possibly smaller new?) Bryston can be had in that range, the Adcoms always sounded good to me, I can vouch for the Rotels ($2K will get you the 100 lb., 380 WPC monster new) as well as many others. Some swear by the Odyssey line of products, as well - these brands are fairly easy to find. Buying used is another option.

Go listen to whatever you can in your area... any good audio store will demo your receiver vs. a new amp.

A few ideas, have fun listening...

Forum Regular

Myryad Amps On Sale

Check clearance sales on Myryad amps at audioadvisor. I switched from a 100 x 2 Onkyo TX-8511 to a 50 x 2 Myryad Z-140 and the Myryad pushes my infinity il-40 speakers better than my onkyo did.

http://audioadvisor.com/store/produc...0Gray%20Finish

Forum Regular

Quality, yes

But I prefer quality and quantity. It does make a difference. If the speakers are rated for it, I'll give it to them. Louder is not your only goal and more power doesn't mean that much louder. The formalae have been given numerous times.
    First, let's make sure that we are on the same page. I'm speaking of class AB amplifiers which is the most common configuration. Comparing to class A or tube components would be a different ballgame. Show me a class AB amp with 50 or 100 wpc that will outperform a 200 wpc class AB and I'll kiss your ass. This said, the comparison has to be realistic and both components would have to be reasonably similar in other respects. I'm sure that you could take a slightly smaller integrated or separate amp and easily outshine most or all receivers, even maybe 50% smaller. Twice the power, 3db, not a huge difference. What you'll find is more clarity and much firmer bass.
    Try it for yourself.
    I'll go one step further. I have an old Accuphase integrated amp with 100 wpc at 8 ohms, 140 wpc 4 ohms. I will hook it up to my AR9's and by all accounts, it should be plenty of power for them. I suspect that it will sound reasonably good. I will then switch back to my Parasound amp with 220 wpc at 8 ohm or 385 wpc at 4 ohm to see what I like better. I'm betting on the Parasound. Would I call this conclusive proof? No, I guess not but compelling evidence to my like for power. I will have at least two other unbiased listeners as well. I have conducted this "test" many times with many amps, receivers, integrateds and a host of different speakers. The results have always been the same. I'll let you know my findings.
    Bill

Forum Regular

Pucker up butter cup!

I'll take my 100 wpc @ 8ohms, 200 wpc @ 4 ohms, and 300 wpc @ 2 ohms McCormack and go up against your 220 wpc @ 8 ohms, and 385 wpc @ 4 ohms Parasound, any day of the week!

So if your ever in the Chicago area, come on down, your the next contestant on KISS MY BIG, and it is big, WHITE ASS!!! Don't worry, I'll make sure it's not all sweaty and stinky!!! Hey what do you have to lose? Oh yeah, no lipstick, my wife might get jealous!

Only kidding!!!

Not!!

No really I am!!!

NOT!!!

Yeah I am!!!

NOT!!!

Utmostjamin1

Cool amp for klipsch speakers

well folks i finally made my decision. i bought a slightly used Adcom amp for $600 its a 3 channel amp (model GFA-5503 rated at 200 WPC. I do want Quality over quantity and i think i got both. I want to thank everyone for their responses although i think the last response saying mine is better than yours is a bit childish.

Forum Regular

Sweet cheeks

Quote Originally Posted by bturk667
    I'll take my 100 wpc @ 8ohms, 200 wpc @ 4 ohms, and 300 wpc @ 2 ohms McCormack and go up against your 220 wpc @ 8 ohms, and 385 wpc @ 4 ohms Parasound, any day of the week!

So if your ever in the Chicago area, come on down, your the next contestant on KISS MY BIG, and it is big, WHITE ASS!!! Don't worry, I'll make sure it's not all sweaty and stinky!!! Hey what do you have to lose? Oh yeah, no lipstick, my wife might get jealous!

Only kidding!!!

Not!!

No really I am!!!

NOT!!!

Yeah I am!!!

NOT!!!
    I would be absolutely amazed but I suppose anything is possible. I live about 90 mi from Chicago. Might be an interesting test. Is the McCormack class AB? Chapstick OK?

Forum Regular

Good deal

Quote Originally Posted by jamison
    well folks i finally made my decision. i bought a slightly used Adcom amp for $600 its a 3 channel amp (model GFA-5503 rated at 200 WPC. I do want Quality over quantity and i think i got both. I want to thank everyone for their responses although i think the last response saying mine is better than yours is a bit childish.
    I would think you'll be very pleased when you hook this up. Be sure and let us know. Adcom is one of those workhorses that has many happy owners. Someone mentioned hearing damage. Twice the power brings 3db increase, not that much. It will just give you what you want better than 100wpc will. I'll look forward to what you think of it.
    Bill

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Hi,
    I own a Reference 3II and do not think I would be able to go above 15 W !!!
    Even i moved out from a HT setup using an SR700 to a Stereo setup and went thru the same angst

What you need with the RF series is a high current amp with very low distortion at low power and able to put in high current. Additionally a good slew rate would be helpful with a capability of High instaneous power. Dont think the "Power" per se has anything to do with the quality of the power output..it is the current with matters

try any pure Class A whch is almost tubelike. I was suggested the Sugden A20.1 and had been very very impressed by it..although i ended up with a Budget setup of a NAD 320BEE which is only 50W but i do not need more than 25% of its power Ever (and i do like my music loud!)

regards

Just my $.02

Forum Regular

Chapstick is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jbangelfish
    I would be absolutely amazed but I suppose anything is possible. I live about 90 mi from Chicago. Might be an interesting test. Is the McCormack class AB? Chapstick OK?
    Yes, the McCormack is an A/B amp. yes, I too think it might be fun.

Thread Information