Thread: mission 704??

Forum Regular

Question mission 704??

Hi...I had posted a mail a couple of days back asking for good speakers for rock...Got suggestion for paradigm, klipsch etc...the problem is i am not able to get these in india. ...
    I saw a pair of Mission 704 in a store here. was apprehensive but the guy at the store hooked it up anyways to a NAD C 320 BEE which is the amp I have decided on...surprisingly it shocked me with its bass and ability to sound good even with the volume up....
    the bass was rich and warm...though i have my doubts abt the treble....
    But i am highly inclined towards this coz i listen to primarily classic rock and dont want to pick up a woofer as yet...am also working with a limited budget and so bookshelves were my first option...but even good bookshelves were really found wanting on the kind of bass that i like to listen to ...its then that i found these mission speakers....
    would like some feedback on these with a NAD C 320 BEE...
    my room isnt very big....

Forum Regular

mission 74i

yeah well now the store calls me and tells me that they dont have mission 704 but only m74i, so pls give me feedback on these .....

Forum Regular
    Hi, I'm from Bombay...which dealer did you go to ?
    NAD 320BEE is a fine amp...buy it blind...
    I did not like the mission 74i..its too bright for my taste..i would recommend PSB 4T anyday...

If i were you I would seriously audition the Jamo E855, very good floorstander speaker.

Forum Regular
    hey manek....thanks for your message....the thing is that the mission 74i fits beautifully into my budget....
    am getting the amp for abt 20 k and the speakers for abt 23 k....at la kozy, marine drive....
    i didnt like the PSB too much....will check out the jamo for sure....how much does it come for.....

Forum Regular
    Yes...I also auditioned them at La-kozy. I personally preffered the PSB to the mission as they were more neutral and in control of their high's.

Jamo E855 are a bit more costly than Missions...they cost 40K. Try the cinebels showroom at crosroads or at bandra. They have them at both places and is the fastest selling jamo model around. They have a good 5 yr warranty scheme and speakers have well crafted pahse plugs for linearity and cooling, they look like great and sound as good too. They also have less pricier models also so do give it a hear.

NAD amp...go ahead....I have the same and its beautifull.

Forum Regular
    well i'd love to...but thats way above my budget...was recommended the E550...liked it decently, when i heard it...but then i listened to the mission another day...so am not sure how they compare....what r your vies on jamo E550...its abt 20k.....really need to decide on this speakers bit...am itching to get my hands on the whole system....and yeah, the NAD am totally decided on.....

Forum Regular
    I would suggest the E650 which would be around 30K.

I have heard the E550 since you listed to rock the E570 would be better on the low frequency end.

Whats the warranty on the missions again ? I forget now.....

Forum Regular
    do remember that the mi74 is not all that smooth and will give you a lot of ear fatigue, my guess is, incorrect phase and time alignment and its overly bright.

After listening to it for 15 minutes of jazz and classical music it gave me a solid ear ache. The sound though was decent but not accurate.

Forum Regular
    will definitely check it out again keeping what u said in mind...heard it for not too long the last time...
    and will surely check out the E570...i will need to put it thru a solid bass check....would you know approx. price for these...and shud i be picking up jamo from the store in crossword or a place like la kozy?

Forum Regular
    I dont know the exact pricing but you could go to the jamo shop at crossroads and find out...they will definately be less than the E850 so should be around 30K

do pick up the jamo's from the crossroads shop only as they are official and exclusive jamo dealers for india and will back the product up with 5 yr warranty. Lakozy wont go beyond one year. you can pick up the amp and cd player from lakozy, that should not be a problem.

warranty support is very important in these products.

Forum Regular

floorstanders at this price point are a waste of money

Hi Buddy,
    I am from bangalore.I have travelled the same path you are going through.Just giving you some advice from what I have experienced...

1.Most floorstanding speakers at this price point, have cabinet boom and bass resonance problems due to the crossover and cabinet designs.Most have a delibrate mid bass hump built into them to impress clients.
    2.It is a myth that you need floorstanders to achieve good bass if you are going to install them in a room less that 14 x 16 ft room.
    3.I bought a pair of wharfedale diamond 8.4 floorstanders a year back.I preffered them over the competition because they sounded much better in the mids and highs than the economy jamo and mission speakers at this price point.
    4.Recently I listened to a pair of quad bookshelf speakers and was floored by the amount of bass it could produce.The bass hump is gone and the mids and highs sound much better and detailed.I am seriousely considering selling my speakers and moving on to the quads.
    5.Give a listen to some quad bookshelf speakers before you purchase.Remember that more bass is not better bass.Bass if produced wrong, can screw up the music for ya.If you buy floorstanders, then up your budget a little and have a listen to the Cadence Diva which retails for 50k.They will have the jamos and missions for lunch..!You could also check out the heybrook HB4 floorstanders at 10 octaves in mumbai.They are considered to be better than most at their price point.

BTW:I have the NAD C350 driving my floorstanders.Nad rocks man.....go for it.

Forum Regular
    hey thanks for your detailed message. yeah i went in for a second listen and the missions seemed quite vague...
    cadence, well what can i say...they definitely sound awesome....i couldnt agree more and how i wish i had that kinda money now....they definitely are way ahead....
    now could you tell me where i can check out quad in bombay....and am also not sure of where 10 octaves is. wud be great if you cud guide me ard a bit....
    btw, i quite liked the B&W 601 S2...they sounded amazingly good for their size and price.....what do u think abt them?
    and i cudnt agree more....its C 320 BEE and am sure my next upgrade will also be a NAD...NAD makes such a huge difference .....

thanks again......

Forum Regular

synergy

Hi,
    I have not been to Mumbai.The website of 10 octaves is http://www.10octaves.com .I had done some Correspondence with a guy called Ajay few weeks back.His number is 9821145643.They are mainly into good quality stereo stuff and the staff knows what they are talking about.You could try out the Heybrooks there.
    The mumbai dealer for quad and wharfedale is dilip shah and his email id is designer_audio@hotmail.com
    Try and buy the amp first and check the speakers you are interested in with your amp.Most decent dealers won't have problem with that.Some speakers might sound laid back with the amp that the dealer is using but can sound detailed with the 320bee.The synergy is very important.
    Have fun

Forum Regular
    thanks a ton...will do that. am decided on the C 320 BEE amp. so will pcik that up first and check out all your options too....btw, whats the nad retailing for over there? have been told 20k by one dealer here in mumbai....

Forum Regular

320bee

You should get the 320bee for around 18700 in mumbai.It's available in bangalore for 19500 without any bargaining and they are shipped here from mumbai.
    BTW.10 octaves is Mumbai's authorised stockist for NAD.
    Hey can I have your mail id?Would like to know your exp with the heybrooks...

Forum Regular
    have sent u a private message with my mail id....u on yahoo chat? would like to check a couple of things with u before i go on my speaker audition. btw, where did u find the NAD for 18700. have been consistently getting quotes for 20 k....

Forum Regular

Nad

I have a friend out here in bangalore who is the dealer for cadence.He deals in NAD also.I was planing to pick up a c320 bee from him but he gave me a good deal on a 2 month used c350.He offered me 19,500 for the 320bee which is not a special price for me.He mentioned that it will cost some 500 bucks less in Mumbai.If you bargain, it could come down again.
    You can mail me at vinny515@yahoo.com. I can't use any chat programs in the office....
    BTW:He gets his NAD amps from 10 octaves

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hertz
    I have a friend out here in bangalore who is the dealer for cadence.He deals in NAD also.I was planing to pick up a c320 bee from him but he gave me a good deal on a 2 month used c350.He offered me 19,500 for the 320bee which is not a special price for me.He mentioned that it will cost some 500 bucks less in Mumbai.If you bargain, it could come down again.
    You can mail me at vinny515@yahoo.com. I can't use any chat programs in the office....
    BTW:He gets his NAD amps from 10 octaves
    Hi george...

Hertz is right....cadence diva is a good speaker....but out of your budget. I dont agree with him on that fact that the diva has all jamo's for lunch, only the entry level ones. I own cadence aritas...bookshelves with great bass...even better than the quad 11L or 12L he is referring to. If its bookshelves you want then cadence arita is just about the ultimate. The quads come a distant second.
    hertz....hear the Cadence Arita's with thie 7" driver and you'll want to buy the aritas over the quads....I heard them both and the aritas beat the quads by a mile.

Hertz gives a good idea to buy the amp and then take it around to test the speakers.
    Heybrook HB4 is now stopped. I spoke to the 10 octaves guy for my friend a couple of weeks back and that line of speakers are now out of production. The new heybrook range is not yet launched in India. 10 octaves did have one demo piece of HB4 which they were selling cheap so if you want that then it might be still hanging around.

Then again you need to also fix your speaker budget. The quads mind you are rear ported to you will need atleast 2 feet free behind the speaker and ofcourse you wont get that sound until you mount them on special stands to thats another expense if bookshelves are your poison.

hertz is also right in saying that the entry level floorstanders have this artificial boost in lower mids and that is quite annoying at times. jamo E855 and above do not have that but they cost 40k upwards. The Arita's are sublime and cost about 38-39k in bombay. Quad 11L cost about 25k and the 12L maybe around 30-33K. You will need to invest in stands also. Good stands will cost you 8k-10K..so you need to do your math here.

Quads you can listed to at designer audio at marine drive...opposite to garware pavillion at wankhede statium.
    That person also has wharfedale pacific evo series speakers which are supposed to be good....hear them also.

Cadence you can hear at J&B sound at bandra opposite amarsons. Nova audio at khar has monitor audio and morduant short...I think you should hear monitor audio also fr your kind of music.

Forum Regular

inputs from manek

Hey,
    That is some real good input from manek.I didn't factor in the costs of the stands.About the Jamos, I have heard most of their models except the flagship one.I found them to be lacking in dynaimics and attack when compared to the cadence divas.The cadence divas have that immediate attack and dynamics minus the cabinet boom and the treble section is sweet and detailed.You make out this when you listen to some intimate Jazz.The brush sound is so detailed and textured....
    I have heard the aritas.Amazing bookshelf speakers ! But I didn't mention them because it is way out of his budget.

Forum Regular
    hertz....you should go for the cadences......let the quads and wharfedales be.....I absolutely agree with you on the diva's, me being a big cadence fan and all.......but jamo's are a bit subtle in their delivery, thats all....its just a different kind of sound.....

Forum Regular
    yup,
    My next upgrade would probably be the cadence divas.My friend (dealer) has a demo piece which is also part of his personal music system.I have an eye on them...

His system has a good synergy.
    Cadence diva speakers.
    Audio analoque amp.I think it is the "puccini"
    Nad C512 bee cd player.

Forum Regular
    Good thinking hertz,

You have good tastes :-)

Forum Regular

dynaudio audience 42

hey i have finally picked up my system........
    got myself....dynaudio audience 42 bookshelves....the choice was with a heybrook HB3 set of towers...however, i auditioned them both at home and the dynaudios were extremely clear ....the danes really dont lie....:-)
    the heybrooks were big...but then the bass response on the dynaudios were exceptional...i mean u wouldnt say, they were small bookshelves....
    tested it with enter sandman...and they rocked....
    am driving it with NAD C320 BEE....
    thanks for all your suggestions...manek, hertz...especially for all the help...
    i got them both from lakozy, bombay...the nad for 19 k and dynaudio for 24 k(indian rs.)

thanks again people

Forum Regular
    hey good choice of equipment.
    Dynaudio 52 would have been better but since you bought the 42 for 24K, its value for money.

Remember dyn's have a 4+ ohms load so dont party with them too loud without the soft clipping enabled on your nad. That will protect your speakers.

regards,

Manek.

Thread Information