Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Lucky Story

  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    436

    Lucky Story

    After thinking for a while, I finially decided to go with the AN/Js
    Problem was that shipping was going to run into a hundred bux, same with picking them up. Luckily my cousin was making a trip to the island anyways so he could help me pick them out from SoundHounds.

    So that's what he did. Just this Saturday, he went over to soundhounds and picked those badboys up. Then he went to do his own thing - sightseeing and that. He even found this cheap 6 hours for 1 dollar parking under a Church of some sort. While they were gone, some guy broke into his Van. The glove compartment, ashtray and even the cooler were searched.

    But what about my AN/Js? They just sat peacefully, and at the end of it all no one lay a finger on it as the Audio Note tape that sealed the box was still intact.

    Question for RGA on the AN/Js.
    (1) What do you do with those little silver tags they give you?
    (2) This is the cheapest manual I have ever seen in my life. Not only is it photocopied paper with a single staple, but the copy isnt even good! Some of the stuff is faded!

  2. #2
    Forum Regular gonefishin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Joliet, Ill.
    Posts
    342
    Hi 92135011,


    Happy to hear about your good luck, but also sorry to hear of the bad luck your cousin had. Congrats on purchasing the AudioNote speakers too No doubt that you'll be happy with'em.

    Have you tried contacting Peter about getting another manual sent to you? I'd guess he's already got it in a computer file, which should be easily sent to you via e-mail. After printing out the new manual, you could then choose to use a high quality AudioPhile staple to hold the papers together.

    enjoy!
    __________________
    I found the spoon
    __________________


    enjoy the music!

  3. #3
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,539
    Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    After thinking for a while, I finially decided to go with the AN/Js
    Problem was that shipping was going to run into a hundred bux, same with picking them up. Luckily my cousin was making a trip to the island anyways so he could help me pick them out from SoundHounds.

    So that's what he did. Just this Saturday, he went over to soundhounds and picked those badboys up. Then he went to do his own thing - sightseeing and that. He even found this cheap 6 hours for 1 dollar parking under a Church of some sort. While they were gone, some guy broke into his Van. The glove compartment, ashtray and even the cooler were searched.

    But what about my AN/Js? They just sat peacefully, and at the end of it all no one lay a finger on it as the Audio Note tape that sealed the box was still intact.

    Question for RGA on the AN/Js.
    (1) What do you do with those little silver tags they give you?
    (2) This is the cheapest manual I have ever seen in my life. Not only is it photocopied paper with a single staple, but the copy isnt even good! Some of the stuff is faded!
    Man that was lucky the speakers weren't taken - no insurance for car theft - becuase it is not bolted to the car - you'd have had to go through home owners insurance.

    Yes the manual is rather plain - and that is putting it mildly. My copy does not heven have the pictures to help you connect it - it says see figure 1 or but there is no figure 1 LOL. Though it's pretty straightforward - make sure you connect the speaker wires vertically either HF or LF not across like most speakers - this is for biwiring biamping. Let em rip for 5 hours and adjust for positioning toe in. The AN Stands should have a tilt so that that they lean slightly back - I didn't know this actually but discovered it when positioning my K's - then I noticed their stands are designed that way - it made a big big difference on my K's but I can't do that with the Skylans because the J's are too big for them.

    I have not done anything with my AN stickers - Presumably they go on the grill cloth - Bit I'm thinking somewhere on the cabinet would make them a bit more sexy - so far I'm still deciding. I still have lots of the blu-tak left as well.

    So now you still need some kind of system to run them with right?

  4. #4
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    436
    I already emailed Peter and he said he would send me the other 2 pages with the connections. I want the whole deal here! No pages missing for me! Well, he said he would send it if he could find it. I suppose its an old manual.
    He also said the little tags are typically stuck at the bottom of the front baffle in the centre.
    The stands arent here yet cuz they were stuck in customs, but will be shortly as Soundhounds will send it to me as a parcel.

    As apart of this system, I have ordered the AN kit1 300B set amp with blackgate and AN copper caps and MOST IMPORTANTLY the black covers that cover the chokes and OPT.

    As well, the AN preamp kit with blackgate and a few AN copper caps, upgraded noble encapsulated balance and volume pots.

    They should prove to be very fun to build, but at the moment they are driven by some old technics that my pops got 25 years back. My dad think they are ugly, but I don't think they are that bad. Simple looking yes, but that's not really that bad.

  5. #5
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,539
    How much were the stands again - I will be taking my dad to a cancer therapist in August so I may stop and pick up the stands. How's the Technics running them? DO you at least have a makeshift stand to get you by?

    Sounds like you're going to be putting a pretty sweet amp together - Level 3? 4?

  6. #6
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    436
    The old technics my dad has got some really flimsy stands, but they are 17 inches or so. At least the height is about the same. Actually, the old technics speaker is exactly the same size baffle, but is deeper. I suppose it had higher stands because of those strange things on top of the tweeter to point the sound down.

    The technics seems fine enough, although I'm no critic and I usually cant find the words to express my complaints only that if it feels right or not. One thing I do notice is that when a music passage gets complicated, it has a tendency to jumble up a little like if it were confused. I feel safe running them under that older i-amp cuz it only pumps out a max of about 40 watts running class AB. Except, the balance is a little off and the balance control is out of wack. It doesnt even work at all!.

    With the deal, I think I ended up paying about 350 for the stand. Still kinda expensive, but sound anchor and ironworkz both were charging more than this plus shipping was a factor.

    I hope the amp turns out well. After I'm done this project, I might try hardwiring everything instead of using the circuit board. I heard it gives some results. But even if it doesnt, it wont cost all that much anyways. A fun project anyways. Give me your email, I'll send you pics later

    Taking your old man to the therapist? He ok?

  7. #7
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,539
    Thanks, $350.00 is reasonable. A bit high perhaps but they are at least the custom stand.

    No my dad's been placed on palliative care - which means they're giving him 6 months. Cancer is in his lung, liver, pancreas, and hip. The frustrating thing is his blood pressure is good and the pills are making him worse than he was feeling before. It's also frustrating that these doctors never even entertain the notion of alternative medicine. Like Chemotherapy works? It works for the cancer's they can actually defeat - but the ones they can't the doctors claim that they MAY be able toextend life - based on skewed statistics to help drug companies profit on people. I am not a big fan of the medical industry in terms of diagnosis. I understand that my dad has to go a long with chemo but basically while it reduces the cancer it also kills the bodies immune system permnantly regarding white cells. So when the cancer eventually builds an immunity to the chemo drugs it comes back - and your body's immune system is gone and you're done for. It imply does not work but medical science holds onto this garbage and won't even TRY alternatives because they would rather stick to the double blind tested 100% failure rates? And then when some people try an alternative and anecdoatally their inoperable cancer is cured - rather than investigating these so called scientists just say "Oh well it must have been diagnosed incorrectly. They will not have it that there could even possibly be an alternative.

    It's all very frustrating - because on the one hand you have to trust that medical science is useful because after all we pay them the big bucks - but when the doctor basically says chemo won't cure it and to get your affairs in order - then I can't understand why in the world they would not even entertain the notion of even TRYING an alternative measure.

    It may not work either but what do they have to lose.

    Hell I went in to the doctor today and they want me to get an ultrasound and a blood work-up to be on the safe side. Well hell it's free may as well use the system.

  8. #8
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    436
    That's very sad to hear RGA...
    I see your point with the alternative medicine, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    Many medicines that were known as alternative became popular medicines when enough testing verified they were safe to use.
    There is still a lot of stuff out there though that needs to be tested.
    Be careful when trying alternative medicines though, many people will try to sell you stuff that doesnt do much, but costs a lot. However, the placebo effect may have VERY positive results, so worth a try possibly.
    Have you tried consulting an alternative medicine doctor?

  9. #9
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,539
    Not yet - it's up to my dad really. He starts the chemo on Wednesday. This is why smoking is not good for you. He's 67 and 2 packs a day for 30 years is going to get you.

    Anyway, how's it sounding so far - despite the less than ideal set-up and equipment? You need to make sure the speakers are set up exactly on both sides 55cm away for example from the rear wall toed in or not. The manual says to try them parrallel but I have not done that because I fiigure there would be more standing waves.

  10. #10
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    436
    not so ideal right now...It's in the living room...you should see that room. Its small but cluttered with LOTS of furnature plus the TV. They are not even near any walls, the floor is hardwood and the stand is wobbly. The furnature is full real wood. I cant say its super duper right now, but I'm going to move them downstairs once the stands arrive.

    I cant complain though, it's still sounds good, but I know the potential it has, so it makes me feel that its not adaquate. Also, as I said I'm no critic. I not really the type that goes "its a tad too dark", "its musical but lacks lustre", etc. I'm just the guy who goes "this sounds good", "somethings missing, not my cup of tea", etc. So in that aspect I guess I'm no audiophile. I just enjoy the music.

    Havent played a great deal on the speakers though, due to working 12 hour shifts during summer. So far I only played a bit of my favourite tunes, especially my music idol Oscar Peterson. I bought the new DVD and that sounded pretty good at low levels. Havent tried them out at decent levels yet due to the fact that I get home late enough that someone at home is just getting ready to sleep. Cant wait for those kits to come though, I'm getting really excited!

  11. #11
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,539
    Yeah sounds like you're on graveyard. That sucks.

    Yeah you don't want wobbly stands - when you get it all set up it should be great.

  12. #12
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Chicagoland area (Streamwood, IL)
    Posts
    489
    RGA- I know this isn't the appropriate site for this communication, but I want to reach out anyway.

    I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad. My Dad had an extremely similar situation. He was diagnosed with lung cancer and it spread all along his chest and into his lymphnodes. He was doing okay for a while when on chemo, but then his body could no longer take it. Eventually, he went into palliative care and passed away a few days later (that was January 2004). I totally agree with the medical sciences- I never thought I'd feel this way until my family had to experience it.

    Sorry if I brought you done at all. If you ever want to chat, let me know.

    Anyway, I wish you and your family the best!

    Good luck!
    Eric

  13. #13
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,539
    Thanks.

    The itrritating thing is he went in because he had a sore leg. Okay so they discover it's cancer - but other than his leg he was totally fine - not sick etc. Now with the drugs and stuff he seems worse - sleeps or tries to a lot, Diarrea weight loss and then they give him more drugs to fix those things the first drugs created - and who profits from drug sales? Drug companies - and who do drug companies support - Researchers. Conflict of interest? Damn straight.

    Whenever a compnay SELLING a product is putting out all the reasons YOU SHOULD buy their product because of all the technical wizardy then I question that - same reason I do about audio and Harman International.


    Sorry for the rant

    "The conventional cancer treatments of radiation and chemotherapy are like the emperor who wears no clothes. They have never been proven effective via published scientific double blind studies (Diamond, page 845). It is true that radiation and chemotherapy shrink tumors, but there is no evidence that they lengthen lifespan. Worse, they are so damaging to health that your chance of a second cancer is up to 100 times greater after radiation or chemotherapy (Epstein, page 328). 5% - 10% of cancer patients treated with chemotherapy will get leukemia (Moss page 82). No amount of radiation is safe. After these treatments your anti-cancer diet and lifestyle become even more important!

    "Over 90% of those patients who are cured of cancer today are cured by surgery alone." - Dr. Richard A. Evans

    From a scientific point of view, chemotherapy is of no value and even counter productive for more than 95% of all cancers. Radiation can reduce the recurrence of cancer, but new tumors can be removed by surgery. Radiation does not increase longevity for most cancer patients. A small amount of surgery to remove a tumor, combined with a strengthened immune system to mop up stray cancer cells is an effective strategy for most cancer patients. And the earlier you get started, the better the results you can expect."

    Now this is an alternative medicine site... but guess what you still can't win because they recommend very expensive vitamins...so look who makes vitamins the drug companies are in cahoots with them so either way who wins?

    Dr. Atkins attacked for years chemo therapy and the drug companies for this reason - chemo does not work long term it makes people worse off than they were before --- gee just like the food pyramid of healthy the FDA along with Kellogs and the dairy association doled out --- Eat low fat nonsense that only made America fat. And what do you know the only study EVER done that said eggs were bad for you was in 1937 and guess who said egges were bad - Kellogs - WHY? because most people ate Eggs and Bacon for breakfast(back when there were ZERO recorded cases of Heart attacks) and Kellogs who sold cheap crap needed to have people buy flakes of hydrated corn for breakfast with almost zippo nutritional value. But if you tell the same lie about eggs over and over and over for decades then people actually start to believe that eggs will give you heart attacks. The fact that there is absolutely no proof at all for that or that Red Meat is bad for you(and REALLY disect the studies and you'll see) for that matter.

    And when Atkins said this - instead of testing what he had to say they put out enormous campaigns calling him a nut. Since he got all the information from MEDICAL science to start with(the stuff the big boys try and hide) - it's no conspiracy theory it's a science McCarthyist blackball approach. The best form of propaganda in the 21st century is to use scientific propaganda. Science is the answer today as religion was and still is for others. Science - Eugenics, Science - convining people Harman speakers are best why? Cheap parts easy to ship designs and heavy psueudo science to say it's better - when anyone with ears knows it's BS. Science has become controlled by Big corporate industry - and it's not science anymore.

    And after my history course today and watching George Bush trying to hold power by enacting some law to delay the American vote in Novemeber because of "terrorists might bomb voters" Bugger it brings down my day - I mean that kind of blatant fear inducing propaganda is just shocking - and sadly a good 40% of Americans buy into this tripe. No wonder they keep the education funding down - a smart public would revolt.

    The sad part of it all is you practically have to trust the same science I just derided. I have to think that doctors go into the profession because they want to help people - just as I am going into teaching - the problem is when corporations who care only about profit get involved can steer the entire profession and the science which is hardly independant as the naive think, then it becomes a mess. At least they give out morphine - frankly if it happens to me I'm pulling a Nicholas Cage in Leaving las Vegas and drink myself stupid and get laid by a bunch of sexy hookers.

  14. #14
    Forum Regular gonefishin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Joliet, Ill.
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA

    Dr. Atkins attacked for years chemo therapy and the drug companies for this reason - chemo does not work long term it makes people worse off than they were before --- gee just like the food pyramid of healthy the FDA along with Kellogs and the dairy association doled out --- Eat low fat nonsense that only made America fat.
    Rga, once again you take distorted facts as whole truths. You seem to do this with both Politics and Audio. Your quite the persistant fellow, so it's no wonder when you find the information your seeking.


    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    And when Atkins said this - instead of testing what he had to say they put out enormous campaigns calling him a nut. Since he got all the information from MEDICAL science to start with(the stuff the big boys try and hide) - it's no conspiracy theory it's a science McCarthyist blackball approach. The best form of propaganda in the 21st century is to use scientific propaganda. Science is the answer today as religion was and still is for others. Science - Eugenics, Science - convining people Harman speakers are best why? Cheap parts easy to ship designs and heavy psueudo science to say it's better - when anyone with ears knows it's BS. Science has become controlled by Big corporate industry - and it's not science anymore.
    My gosh Rga. It must be frustrating living inside your world. The core Atkins diet is not and was not healthy. It's the same old thing...when major medical universities do real (peer reviewed) studies on diets such as the Atkins they come to the conclusion that it's a health risk. Yet quacks like you think the man is keeping them down. It's the same ol' elixir being sold in a new bottle...and you'll buy it. Why? (my guess) it's not because you believe so much in the Atkins diet...but because you believe so little in everything else. Your pissed off...and without someone or something to aim your frustration and anger toward...well, it wouldn't make for a very good release. Now would it (rhetorical)






    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    - and sadly a good 40% of Americans buy into this tripe. No wonder they keep the education funding down
    Rga, once again you seem to easily buy into distorted facts. Please...Please...if your going to be such an angry young man...do your homework...and get your facts somewhere other than from either the Bush, Kerry or Moore camp websites(and the like).

    Funding for Education is actually up over 58% already in the first three years under Bush, and is set for further additional increases in January. Such as a 9.8% increase toward programs for low-income children and also a 5.9% increase in funding for special education. This is on top of the 58% increase that we've already had. The increase in only three years under Bush has been larger than all the increases in eight years under Clinton. In just three years there has already been an increase that took place that was larger thn the previous eight years...when the economy was (falsely inflated and) booming.


    Where your confusion is coming from is from believing (once again) distorted facts and misrepresentations of the facts (or taking fact out of context).

    Where some people are claiming education spending is down (27%) is when comparing the maximum that he himself (Bush) had set up in the "no child left behind act"... to what he later (after 9/11) had reduced from the maximum proposed. So the 27% reduction was from the maximum increase that Bush himself was going to allow for education, before the unexpected expenditures on the war. Even so...he still achieved a 58% increase in only three years. More increases toward education are due to follow in '05.

    This is simply a political tactic that's been used over and over again to misconstrued what actually happened. Both parties do this often, especially in campaign years.


    There are certainly other falsehoods that Bush detractors are claiming, that fall far from the truth. But this doesn't mean, in any way, that Kerry detractors are not doing the same. Because they are. You just can't believe the first thing that gives you an emotional release. If you don't like Bush, fine. There's lots of good reasons not to like him. But prove to yourself that you've come to that conclusion on good information. Well, I suppose you could believe the first thing that gives you a "wanted" emotional release...but just be sure of the path you take to reach a conclusion that may never change.

    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    - a smart public would revolt.
    Just to refresh...the above statement you made here, was in reference to the cut in spending on education by the Bush administration. Well, an informed public may think otherwise to your statement...as there was an actually 58% increase in three years on education.

    But if you would like to elaborate on what you meant by "a smart public would revolt." Well, there are only a few ways you could have meant that statement...and I would have to say...that I disagree.


    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    - frankly if it happens to me I'm pulling a Nicholas Cage in Leaving las Vegas and drink myself stupid and get laid by a bunch of sexy hookers.
    Tell me that when you've got a loving son or daughter coming to visit with you once you've heard the news. No, they may not be able to find the right words to say...or possibly any words. But tell me then that your going out to drink yourself drunk and screw. Tell me that then, and I'll believe you


    Rga, best wishes to your father...and his family.


    God Bless,
    dan
    __________________
    I found the spoon
    __________________


    enjoy the music!

  15. #15
    Sgt. At Arms Worf101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Troy, New York
    Posts
    4,288

    Thumbs up Wow, quite the tale.

    Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    After thinking for a while, I finially decided to go with the AN/Js
    Problem was that shipping was going to run into a hundred bux, same with picking them up. Luckily my cousin was making a trip to the island anyways so he could help me pick them out from SoundHounds.

    So that's what he did. Just this Saturday, he went over to soundhounds and picked those badboys up. Then he went to do his own thing - sightseeing and that. He even found this cheap 6 hours for 1 dollar parking under a Church of some sort. While they were gone, some guy broke into his Van. The glove compartment, ashtray and even the cooler were searched.

    But what about my AN/Js? They just sat peacefully, and at the end of it all no one lay a finger on it as the Audio Note tape that sealed the box was still intact.
    To quote my ole first, "you'se one f**k lucky summa*****."

    Da Worfster

  16. #16
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,539
    Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin
    Rga, once again you take distorted facts as whole truths. You seem to do this with both Politics and Audio. Your quite the persistant fellow, so it's no wonder when you find the information your seeking.

    My gosh Rga. It must be frustrating living inside your world. The core Atkins diet is not and was not healthy. It's the same old thing...when major medical universities do real (peer reviewed) studies on diets such as the Atkins they come to the conclusion that it's a health risk. Yet quacks like you think the man is keeping them down. It's the same ol' elixir being sold in a new bottle...and you'll buy it. Why? (my guess) it's not because you believe so much in the Atkins diet...but because you believe so little in everything else. Your pissed off...and without someone or something to aim your frustration and anger toward...well, it wouldn't make for a very good release. Now would it (rhetorical)
    Actually I wrote a university paper on the Atkins approach two years ago in a Health and Wellness class in an attempt to show it would be dangerous - but when I started to dig the anti Atkins group headed by Dr. Dean Ornish didn't have a leg to stand on - I would like you to prove with scientific independant studies that the Atkins diet is a health risk - and guess what there is absolutely no credible evidence in existance anywhere to support that Eggs are bad for you or that meat is bad for you.

    There are a bunch of people including doctors who make all sorts of claims that it's bad for you - none of them have any statistical proof - the Framinham study comes closest but those people also ate high carbs - so while they blame the meat - because the study is tainted they have zero way to know whether or not in fact it was the plate of potatos and white bread that actually affected those poeple(and new studies indicate that in fact it was the potatos and bread). Few on CNN or others have actually bothered to read the Atkins books so there are foolish assumptins that he says you can't eat any fruit or any bread and all you can have is Red Meat, Bacon and eggs. In fact if you are a Vegetarian you can be on the Atkins diet - so why then every time one puts on the tube and Atkins name comes up uyou see a big fried steak and eggs is simply to make it look bad. In fact a lot of people who rip Atkins I've asked them to tell me what they typically eat in a day - and then I politely tell them that they are in fact on an Atkins diet without knowing it - because the media would like to help ceral and bread manufacturers - high profit big industry.

    Both Harvard and Duke universities have done independant studies - and both yield very positive results - no sir I have done extensive research on it - before going on it myself. I went on it in January 2003 by June I went from 237lbs to 192lbs. My cholesteral level improved as did HDL and LDL. Blood pressure improved needless to say - I went from a size 40 to a 36. My weight has stayed off - going up to a high of 205 (I have a sweet tooth around Christmas). Typical food are a lot of green vegatables - Peppers, eggs, fish, Rasberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, necdarines(sp?) high fiber bread - organic foods. There is in fact little that is any different from a low fat diet - except that low fat items often put huge amounts of SUGAR in everything. Cutting out the sugar and simple carbohydrates - tht is basically the main thing in his diet - and sorry but this is not a wrong approach.

    Yancy, W.S., Jr., Olsen, M.K., Guyton, J.R., et al., “A Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet Versus a Low-Fat Diet to Treat Obesity and Hyperlipidemia,” Annals of Internal Medicine, 140(10), 2004, pages 769-777.

    Willett, W.C., “Reduced-Carbohydrate Diets: No Roll in Weight Management?,” Annals of Internal Medicine, 140(10), 2004, pages 836-837.

    Stern, L., Iqbal, N., Seshadri, P., et al., “ The Effects of Low-Carbohydrate Versus Conventional Weight Loss Diets in Severely Obese Adults: One-Year Follow-up of a Randomized Trial,” Annals of Internal Medicine, 140(10), 2004, pages 778-785.

    Samaha, F.F., Iqbal, N., Seshadri, P., et al., " A Low-Carbohydrate as Compared with a Low-Fat Diet in Severe Obesity," New England Journal of Medicine, 348(21), 2003, pages 2074-2081.

    Weinberg, S.L., "The Diet-Heart Hypothesis: A Critique," Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 43(5), 2004, pages 731-733.

    Higginbotham, S., Zhang, Z.F., Lee, I.M., et al., "Dietary Glycemic Load and Risk of Colorectal Cancer in the Women's Health Study," Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 96(3), 2004, pages 229-233.

    Aljada, A., Mohanty, P., Dandona, P., "Lipids, Carbohydrates, and Heart Disease," Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, 1(3), 2003, pages 185-188.

    Feinman, R.D., Makowske, M., "Metabolic Syndrome and Low-Carbohydrate Ketogenic Diets in the Medical School Biochemistry Curriculum," Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, 1(3), 2003, pages 189-197.

    Bailes, J.R.J., Strow, M.T., Werthammer, J., et al., "Effect of Low-Carbohydrate, Unlimited Calorie Diet on the Treatment of Childhood Obesity: A Prospective Controlled Study," Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, 1(3), 2003, pages 221-225.

    Vernon, M.C., Mavropoulos, J., Transue, M., et al., "Clinical Experience of a Carbohydrate-Restricted Diet: Effect on Diabetes Mellitus," Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, 1(3), 2003, pages 233-237.

    Yancy, W.S., Vernon, M.C., Westman, E.C., "A Pilot Trial of a Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes," Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, 1(3), 2003, pages 239-243.

    I can list over 100 more if you'd like to read up. The diabetic association told my mother to go on a high carb diet when she was suspected of having type 2 diabetes. This high carb would have made her a diabetic and she would have needed to BUY drugs to inject herself for the rest of her life. Instead she tried Atkins - no diabetes AT ALL now. Went from an 18 to a 10, lost lots of weight blood pressure 120 over 65 - considering she's 67 that was better than me and still is. Sorry, if you do precisely what he says it works = if you go off it you'll get fat...but that only proves his point.

    EDUCATION

    The statistical funding aside - we would need to see all schools across the country - which schools get the funding. I'm not a U.S. citizen.

    Firstly, there is a difference between funding and the results. What is it being taught? I can;'t reclal Bush's slogan but it went somehting along the lines of more accountability of teachers(when a real teacher can actually be hire that is). In other words teachers are graded based off of the results of the students. We can debate this approach - I'm studying to be a teacher - so i have an insider's view of this. It makes for good rhetoric for the masses because it is nicely simplified for people - if you keep things simple and in blacks and whites people follow it better so they can get back to watching Friends' re-runs.

    It's tough for me to defend an imperialistic nation whether governed by a democrat or a republican.

  17. #17
    Forum Regular Swerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Posts
    185
    RGA

    I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I went through something similar with my dad a number of years ago. Cancer is a bad way to go, and it is tough to have to witness it. You must feel angry and helpless.

    Your dad was diagnosed at a very late stage with metastatic lung cancer, and there is little hope for any outcome other than his death. As you have already pointed out, radiation & chemotherapy offer no real benefit, and alternative medicine is an empty promise. "Palliative care" is not much more than a multisyllable term for "We will do whatever we can, but you better get your affairs in order".

    Despite the apparent hopelessness of this, there are still things that you can and should do. First of all, spend as much time with your dad as you can. I don't care what kind of relationship you've had with him in the past, good or bad, give him all the love and attention you can muster. Despite any brave exterior that he may have, he probably feels a lot of fear and anxiety inside. Let him know that you are aware of that, and tell him that you think he is being extremely brave. It will improve his spirits and it will help you to face your dad's decline. Years after he's gone you'll remember this much better than the ugly reality of watching someone close die of lung cancer. I promise, you won't regret it.

    Second, on your own, ask your dad's doctor about what options for hospice care are available. Hospitals and oncologists may be good at aggressively fighting cancer, but they are poor at pain management and helping patients to be simply comfortable during their last days. Learn what choices are available, talk it over with your dad, and make up your minds what to before his last days are imminent. As the end gets closer, it's harder to be rational and clearheaded, so plan ahead.

    Third, save your energy for all the things that you can do for your dad. Loose you anger for medicine and the drug companies - save it for the tobacco companies. I think the doctor who suggested you have an exam and medical workup, may have recognized fears and emotions that you have hidden from yourself.

    Fourth, if you smoke, it's time to quit.

    Finally, none of this will save your dad, but it will save your own peace of mind and help you make the most of what little time you have left with him.

  18. #18
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    494

    Well, RGA... I'm very sorry...

    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Actually I wrote a university paper on the Atkins approach two years ago in a Health and Wellness class in an attempt to show it would be dangerous - but when I started to dig the anti Atkins group headed by Dr. Dean Ornish didn't have a leg to stand on - I would like you to prove with scientific independant studies that the Atkins diet is a health risk - and guess what there is absolutely no credible evidence in existance anywhere to support that Eggs are bad for you or that meat is bad for you.

    There are a bunch of people including doctors who make all sorts of claims that it's bad for you - none of them have any statistical proof - the Framinham study comes closest but those people also ate high carbs - so while they blame the meat - because the study is tainted they have zero way to know whether or not in fact it was the plate of potatos and white bread that actually affected those poeple(and new studies indicate that in fact it was the potatos and bread). Few on CNN or others have actually bothered to read the Atkins books so there are foolish assumptins that he says you can't eat any fruit or any bread and all you can have is Red Meat, Bacon and eggs. In fact if you are a Vegetarian you can be on the Atkins diet - so why then every time one puts on the tube and Atkins name comes up uyou see a big fried steak and eggs is simply to make it look bad. In fact a lot of people who rip Atkins I've asked them to tell me what they typically eat in a day - and then I politely tell them that they are in fact on an Atkins diet without knowing it - because the media would like to help ceral and bread manufacturers - high profit big industry.

    Both Harvard and Duke universities have done independant studies - and both yield very positive results - no sir I have done extensive research on it - before going on it myself. I went on it in January 2003 by June I went from 237lbs to 192lbs. My cholesteral level improved as did HDL and LDL. Blood pressure improved needless to say - I went from a size 40 to a 36. My weight has stayed off - going up to a high of 205 (I have a sweet tooth around Christmas). Typical food are a lot of green vegatables - Peppers, eggs, fish, Rasberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, necdarines(sp?) high fiber bread - organic foods. There is in fact little that is any different from a low fat diet - except that low fat items often put huge amounts of SUGAR in everything. Cutting out the sugar and simple carbohydrates - tht is basically the main thing in his diet - and sorry but this is not a wrong approach.

    Yancy, W.S., Jr., Olsen, M.K., Guyton, J.R., et al., “A Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet Versus a Low-Fat Diet to Treat Obesity and Hyperlipidemia,” Annals of Internal Medicine, 140(10), 2004, pages 769-777.

    Willett, W.C., “Reduced-Carbohydrate Diets: No Roll in Weight Management?,” Annals of Internal Medicine, 140(10), 2004, pages 836-837.

    Stern, L., Iqbal, N., Seshadri, P., et al., “ The Effects of Low-Carbohydrate Versus Conventional Weight Loss Diets in Severely Obese Adults: One-Year Follow-up of a Randomized Trial,” Annals of Internal Medicine, 140(10), 2004, pages 778-785.

    Samaha, F.F., Iqbal, N., Seshadri, P., et al., " A Low-Carbohydrate as Compared with a Low-Fat Diet in Severe Obesity," New England Journal of Medicine, 348(21), 2003, pages 2074-2081.

    Weinberg, S.L., "The Diet-Heart Hypothesis: A Critique," Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 43(5), 2004, pages 731-733.

    Higginbotham, S., Zhang, Z.F., Lee, I.M., et al., "Dietary Glycemic Load and Risk of Colorectal Cancer in the Women's Health Study," Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 96(3), 2004, pages 229-233.

    Aljada, A., Mohanty, P., Dandona, P., "Lipids, Carbohydrates, and Heart Disease," Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, 1(3), 2003, pages 185-188.

    Feinman, R.D., Makowske, M., "Metabolic Syndrome and Low-Carbohydrate Ketogenic Diets in the Medical School Biochemistry Curriculum," Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, 1(3), 2003, pages 189-197.

    Bailes, J.R.J., Strow, M.T., Werthammer, J., et al., "Effect of Low-Carbohydrate, Unlimited Calorie Diet on the Treatment of Childhood Obesity: A Prospective Controlled Study," Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, 1(3), 2003, pages 221-225.

    Vernon, M.C., Mavropoulos, J., Transue, M., et al., "Clinical Experience of a Carbohydrate-Restricted Diet: Effect on Diabetes Mellitus," Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, 1(3), 2003, pages 233-237.

    Yancy, W.S., Vernon, M.C., Westman, E.C., "A Pilot Trial of a Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes," Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, 1(3), 2003, pages 239-243.

    I can list over 100 more if you'd like to read up. The diabetic association told my mother to go on a high carb diet when she was suspected of having type 2 diabetes. This high carb would have made her a diabetic and she would have needed to BUY drugs to inject herself for the rest of her life. Instead she tried Atkins - no diabetes AT ALL now. Went from an 18 to a 10, lost lots of weight blood pressure 120 over 65 - considering she's 67 that was better than me and still is. Sorry, if you do precisely what he says it works = if you go off it you'll get fat...but that only proves his point.

    EDUCATION

    The statistical funding aside - we would need to see all schools across the country - which schools get the funding. I'm not a U.S. citizen.

    Firstly, there is a difference between funding and the results. What is it being taught? I can;'t reclal Bush's slogan but it went somehting along the lines of more accountability of teachers(when a real teacher can actually be hire that is). In other words teachers are graded based off of the results of the students. We can debate this approach - I'm studying to be a teacher - so i have an insider's view of this. It makes for good rhetoric for the masses because it is nicely simplified for people - if you keep things simple and in blacks and whites people follow it better so they can get back to watching Friends' re-runs.

    It's tough for me to defend an imperialistic nation whether governed by a democrat or a republican.
    ...to hear about your father, but medicine DOES increase your chances for a longer life, period. That's one reason cavemen died in their twenties, and we can live to our 80s (whatever). Along with preventative meds, knowedge, and a few othe things, we have extended our days. Again, I'm sorry to hear about your dad... I lost mine in '78, and I hope yours will fare better. I guess he already has! (Just trying to lighten up a bit...:*)

    Atkins? You might look good for your own funeral... WAY too much fat and sat fat. The heart failure rate for some of the cold Nordic countries can testify to this... too much animal fat. Well, thats what they have...

    And as soon as one goes off the diet... back to normal. Lol... my friend Bill can attest to this. If there was a "given" that said "eat heart-attack foods for 6 months, and you'll be thin forever", I could see it. Eat cholersterol-laden foods for a long period? No way.

    At any rate, best of luck in the future for the family.

  19. #19
    Forum Regular gonefishin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Joliet, Ill.
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Actually I wrote a university paper on the Atkins approach two years ago in a Health and Wellness class in an attempt to show it would be dangerous - but when I started to dig the anti Atkins group headed by Dr. Dean Ornish didn't have a leg to stand on - I would like you to prove with scientific independant studies that the Atkins diet is a health risk - and guess what there is absolutely no credible evidence in existance anywhere to support that Eggs are bad for you or that meat is bad for you.

    Are eggs or meat bad for you? No. Again, instead of looking into the anti-Atkins groups, perhaps you should have just educated yourself on proper dieting. Not the extremes (which both are). One will say high carb, low fat...the other high fat low carb.
    If you follow a good balanced high fiber diet while counting calories (which is why the Atkins diet works for weight loss)...then you'll be eating healthy. If you've got extenuating needs due to medical problems, then you should consult your physician and get directed toward dietary advice that suits your needs.

    While the Atkins diet has evolved thru the years (for the better) it still boils down to being a low carb fad diet. I would agree that high carb/low fat diets are simply not the answer either. But these aren't the only two recommended diets out there...Weight watchers is actually a great example of good healthy eating while watching fat, carbs, sugars and calories. It's not about restricting one area of your diet (such as fat or carbs)...it's about eating healthier for your body.

    The reason (I think) many people are overweight nowadays? Has nothing to do with Kellogg's feeding us cereal or government giving us bad nutritional information. It's because many of us are lazy and complacent with a desire to overdue everything of what we view as pleasurable. This includes not only lounging but also our dietary intake. It's not about having a little bacon or a nice steak. It's common for many people to have at least 1/4lb of bacon or the largest porterhouse steak with a potato the size of a football loaded with butter and cream washed down with no less than 64oz of soda pop loaded with sugars. Only to stop by a fast food the next day. The indulgence doesn't stop. There is no moderation. That's where I believe the major problems lie. Not low carb or high carb diets (as Atkins is based on)...but overindulgence and not getting enough exercises to match you calorie intake.




    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    EDUCATION

    The statistical funding aside - we would need to see all schools across the country - which schools get the funding. I'm not a U.S. citizen.

    Firstly, there is a difference between funding and the results. What is it being taught? I can;'t reclal Bush's slogan but it went somehting along the lines of more accountability of teachers(when a real teacher can actually be hire that is). In other words teachers are graded based off of the results of the students. We can debate this approach - I'm studying to be a teacher - so i have an insider's view of this. It makes for good rhetoric for the masses because it is nicely simplified for people - if you keep things simple and in blacks and whites people follow it better so they can get back to watching Friends' re-runs.
    His "no child left behind act" does actually call for more accountability than (I think) can be obtained today. It's not about what we (the people) can do for the kids education, it's about what are we going to be required to give them this year. The act also isn't written with an intent to have a mass firing of teachers who have a few students who didn't learn anything while being in their class. It's about recognizing on going problems that may be within a district. If a teacher has proven themselves to be ineffective at teaching his/her students over a period of years...some corrective action would be taken to ensure that the teacher is brought up to a level suitable to the levels which the schools/state themselves had outlined. If that teacher needs extra help or education she/he would be provided with it to achieve the acceptable level expected by their peers. If it's an entire school...then after a period of years and involvements of trying to improve the schooling. Bush (as I've read it) would like to see the parents of these children in a repeated failing school, be offered the option to apply their tax dollars that they're paying towards schools toward a different school of their choice... to get their kid the education that the state and schools have outlined as minimal requirments. This is not set up to tear down a school system...it's set up to try to either maintain or build upon what they have. If one is failing, then measures are to be taken to try and correct the problems. If the problems persist over years...then the parents may be offered to have their child attend a school that is meeting the requirments. It seems to be written more as an attempt at checks and balances in ensuring students get an apt education. It doesn't appear to be written as a quick call to judgement.

    I would agree...this too...is not perfect. But education is getting increased funding...but the federal goverment doesn't have ultimate control of where and how the money will "really" be spent at the school level. This is where state and local governments appear to be robbing peter to pay paul. Except paul many times is you local superintendant of schools...and he drives around in a Mercedes, with a '62 vette in the garge...parked next to a picture of his vacation home. Many of our systems are just a bit top heavy is all. When the people get fed up, they'll start changing their votes to show the displeasure of having their money spent on things other than their childrens education.


    This is all (of course) open for discussion...and by no means do I believe the Bush "no child left behind act" is perfect. In fact...I really don't care for a lot of it. The only thing I can see is that it's at least something that trying to be done other than blindly and aimlessly throwing money at something.

    But you had made the statement of
    and sadly a good 40% of Americans buy into this tripe. No wonder they keep the education funding down - a smart public would revolt.
    . When in fact education spending has gone up dramitically.
    [PHP]Everyone is entitled to their own opion, but not their own facts - Sen. Daniel Parick Moynihan[/PHP]



    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    It's tough for me to defend an imperialistic nation whether governed by a democrat or a republican.
    I don't think I asked you to defend any nation. I think your making reference to when I said ...

    ..."But if you would like to elaborate on what you meant by
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    "a smart public would revolt."
    "


    ...but I'm not sure.

    edit:remove and add: Anyway...take care of your father and your other family members also. Even if he may be going thru the brunt of the discomfort, this can be troubling times for the whole family.


    take care>>>>>>>



    92135011 , have you got them things dailed in yet? What are ya using them with?

    hope your having fun with'em! (and sorry for going off topic from you orginal post)

    take care>>>>>>>
    Last edited by gonefishin; 07-23-2004 at 04:00 PM.
    __________________
    I found the spoon
    __________________


    enjoy the music!

  20. #20
    Suspended topspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,717
    Hey RGA,
    My prayers are with you and your family. It's a tough road you're traveling but remember both you and your dad are not alone. When a cohort of mine contracted testicular cancer, I gave him a copy of Lance Armstrong's "It's Not About The Bike", truly one of the most inspiring reads I've encountered along with Mitch Albom's "Tuesday's with Morrie". He is now in remission and mentioned the book really helped him through the chemo and other nastiness. You might try picking it up, not only for your dad but also for yourself. The battle is going to be in his head and in his heart, the body is going to do what it's going to do. And if he needs proof that cancer can indeed be beat, all he needs to do is flick on OLN and watch Lance this weekend win his record 6th straight Tour de France.

    On the health issue, I have a couple of clients that are nutritionists for the local hospital and rehab center. My son requires a special diet and when talking to them about the various "flavor of the month" diets, they both strongly recommended balance and common sense. While Atkin's is good for quick weightloss, especially if you don't exercise, it is not a long term solution. If you do exercise, the Atkins diet can really screw you because you have no carbs to use as fuel. Bottom line is to simply eat everything in the right proportion and exercise. It ain't flashy, there's no celebrity endorsements, and you can't package it and market it, but is the safest and most natural way to get and stay fit.

    Oh yeah, congrats on your new toys 90210. Sorry we hijacked your thread.

  21. #21
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,539
    Thanks everyone for your wishes - sorry 92135011 for railroading your thread.

    My dad is actually not on the Atkins diet - I would suggest though that a lot of folks seem to be misinformed on what he actually says. There is a big difference from what he says and what other people say he says. For instance the man is a mjor reaso there are vitamin pills being so widely used - and he was one of the first who warned people against aspartame and nitrates - pro organic food. Eat TONS of vegetabels. Someone mentioned weight watchers - that system is all about cutting down certain quantities of foods. Atkins is no different - but of certain food you can eat a lot of --- so unlike Weight watchers you are not ever starving. But really I don't want to get into all of that stuff - Atkins was originally meant for the 400lb guy who does not exercise. And frankly 2 weeks of all meat isn't going to kill you - being 400lb will. The idea was to drop 150lbs in 6 months so yu would feel confident enough to go to the gym. Then you would go on the 4rth phase of the diet for life. Which is LOTS of organic FRUIT and vegetables, quality breads, nuts and meat(or poultry and fish). If you look at the 4rth phase - you will see no difference from any other health nut diet. But everyone looked at the first phase and said "how awful." Anyway at this point it's moot - since his death his wife lost control and corporation took over so every fast food joint is on it and while some are low carb they're unhealthy and that wasn't in his plan.

    My parents have moved in with me while I go to school - I don't mind as I get along with them very well. Right now no diet will help my dad because he can't keep anything in him. Diarrheria. So you take a drug that's supposed to fix that but does nothing - he can;t even look at meat - so it's all this Boost stuff and ice cream - can't eat bread. But this is the first 3 days of chemo and then he waits 3 weeks and then goes for another 3 days.

    I suppose if nothing else the chemo gets him out of the house and gives him something to do

    Thanks for the suggestions and kind words.

    Now back to AN. I never said congrats to 92135011 - you have a great speaker there bud. I found an actual measurment of an AN speaker can you believe it. It is the AN AZ 2 one of their cheaper models. But it isn't a very clear one because they provide little explanation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lucky Story-az-two-curve.gif  

  22. #22
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,539
    Note though that measurement tells you nothing about the standmounts since the standmount are a completely different design in almost every conceivable way being a transmission line http://audioconsult.dk/Nyheder/zeroAn.htm

    I can't find the site but the AN K apparently measures from 65hz - 19khz +/-1db then begins the roll-off to 50 -6db and 23khz -6db. And the K is well as you know not really close to the J or E. But the link I have not been able to locate as it wa sin a foreign language - see tryingh to find this stuff gives me something do in between writing papers for History and English.
    Last edited by RGA; 07-23-2004 at 10:55 PM.

  23. #23
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    436
    I received the stands yesterday in the mail
    It was shipped double boxed using the a sony DVD player box as the outside. Mail guy just left it on my front door without getting me to sign or anything. What if someone thought it really was a sony DVD player and stole it? Then I would be down some hard cash!

    Anyways, I sand filled them resulting in the stand a bit less than 45 lbs.
    With the speaker, we are talking about a 65-70lbs. The build is excellent and when set up correctly, the speaker does not budge with a light push. The top-plate comes with some dulled spikes for fine adjustment including the ability to adjust the speaker to point up or down a little. I'm thinking maybe blutak is not required.

    It's amazing what a stand like this does to the sound. Before I was using more of a speaker platform the old technics came with. Not very stable and not the right height. Now the stand is at least 4 inches higher. BTW, its NOT a 15 inch stand. I was surprized to see the stand actually measuring 17 and a half inches. Plus they do not come with directions so that the first time around I assembled the bottom plate the other way around thinking polarity didnt matter. However, the top plate must be a certain configuration, so that I had to take the legs off AFTER I had already loaded them with sand.

    They were expensive, but the build is excellent and they are as sturdy as ever

  24. #24
    Forum Regular gonefishin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Joliet, Ill.
    Posts
    342
    Nice ta hear you got the stands I'm not sure what type of sand you used...but sandblasting sand is nice to use and free of impurities. Just nice clean sand


    enjoy!
    __________________
    I found the spoon
    __________________


    enjoy the music!

  25. #25
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    436
    Yeah, that's the type im using.
    The dealer gave me half a bag and said that it should be enough. And guess what! It was JUST enough! Talk about experience!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. an encouraging story..I think anyway...
    By 3-LockBox in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 09:22 AM
  2. One line story
    By Izlsnizzt in forum Off Topic/Non Audio
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-10-2004, 04:29 PM
  3. A sad story, and lesson to all
    By kexodusc in forum General Audio
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 11:58 AM
  4. Tower Records bankruptcy story.
    By Finch Platte in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2004, 11:35 PM
  5. The story of my Servo 15s
    By the hand of boredom in forum Speakers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2003, 06:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •