Forum Regular

I need some decent surrounds...

I am currently running a pair of JBL J900MV towers up front (yeah I know, not the best sounding mains by ALL means, but they do the job for my VERY low budget) and a matching center J-Center. I bought a pair of JBL J520M bookshelves for like 60 bucks just to use as surrounds. I figured I should just get the matching bookshelves for my three front channels...

But these bookshelves sound like crap. I mean, the towers sound decent (again for my budget), but the bookshelves are horrible. Of course, I got hosed on eBay, and ended up with one that is completely blown and another that just sounds like crap. But that's a long story and another story all together at that...

Anyway, would it be alright to use two surrounds that totally don't match to my fronts? If not...can anyone suggest a pair of decent surrounds that are moderately priced (maybe under $150 new for the pair)? I know it's a VERY low budget, but there's got to be SOMETHING out there that sounds better than these J520Ms. Or am I just dreaming out of this price range?

PS: I listen to a LOT of music, although rarely in 5-channels. But my girlfriend always wants to listen to it in 5-channel, so I would need something that sounds at least decent for music. :/
    Warning: My advice is based on what little experience I have under my belt, building on the last 5 years, and is in no way intended as scientific facts. Please also consider that, like the average human being, I may tend to be a bit bias toward my own personal preferences in audio. Use your own judgement and common sense, and please always listen for yourself. If it sounds good to you, the hell with what others say.

Forum Regular
    If you've heard and enjoy the sound the JBL E90s make then you should consider the E20s but they do go for $250 per pair delivered. Less than that if you somehow manage to find them on sale.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by r3dline
    I am currently running a pair of JBL J900MV towers up front (yeah I know, not the best sounding mains by ALL means, but they do the job for my VERY low budget) and a matching center J-Center. I bought a pair of JBL J520M bookshelves for like 60 bucks just to use as surrounds. I figured I should just get the matching bookshelves for my three front channels...

But these bookshelves sound like crap. I mean, the towers sound decent (again for my budget), but the bookshelves are horrible. Of course, I got hosed on eBay, and ended up with one that is completely blown and another that just sounds like crap. But that's a long story and another story all together at that...

Anyway, would it be alright to use two surrounds that totally don't match to my fronts? If not...can anyone suggest a pair of decent surrounds that are moderately priced (maybe under $150 new for the pair)? I know it's a VERY low budget, but there's got to be SOMETHING out there that sounds better than these J520Ms. Or am I just dreaming out of this price range?

PS: I listen to a LOT of music, although rarely in 5-channels. But my girlfriend always wants to listen to it in 5-channel, so I would need something that sounds at least decent for music. :/

The short answer is YES. You can use surrounds that dont match your mains. I'm sorry about your experience with Ebay, It's pretty UN-common to get ripped off like you did. Your best bet is to buy only from long term sellers, or people with 100% feedback. I've bough several products from Cambridge Soundworks off Ebay, with no problem whatsoever.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information