AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Help me choose a decent, cheap, single-disc cd player with digital out

Hello all-

I'm looking to replace a junky old jvc cd/md player that I have hooked up to an MSB Link DAC. My biggest gripe with the jvc unit was the time it took to load and cue a cd. It took forever! So this time around I'm looking for something that will get the music playing pronto. I don't know how to put this concept in audiophile parlance. What do you call the spec that I'm referring to? And can anyone out there recommend something that would fit the bill? It needs to be quick, solid-built, and have decent controls and digital out. Ideally on the bottom side of $300 US.

Many thanks.
    -M

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mungee
    Hello all-

I'm looking to replace a junky old jvc cd/md player that I have hooked up to an MSB Link DAC. My biggest gripe with the jvc unit was the time it took to load and cue a cd. It took forever! So this time around I'm looking for something that will get the music playing pronto. I don't know how to put this concept in audiophile parlance. What do you call the spec that I'm referring to? And can anyone out there recommend something that would fit the bill? It needs to be quick, solid-built, and have decent controls and digital out. Ideally on the bottom side of $300 US.

Many thanks.
    -M
    Just go to a store and try one that suits your speed of cueing. No need to spend that much money.
    mtrycrafts

nightflier

How about...

...It needs to be quick, solid-built, and have decent controls and digital out. Ideally on the bottom side of $300 US.
    How about the Cambridge Audio Azur 540C CD Player? I don't know if it's quick by comparison, but it's a rock solid cd player with a 24-bit, 192 kHz DAC.

Forum Regular

And

Hello all-

Many thanks.
    -M

Since you are liikong for a new player, why not consider a universal player?
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    I have a Tosh SD-K510 DVD/CD in the bedroom that has a 24-bit, 192 kHz DAC.
    It might be a mite slow, but the $60 price leaves $240 to buy maybe 15 CD's or rent maybe 80 movies...... When the Tosh dies I will get a progressive-scan DVD with a 24-bit, 192 kHz DAC. Probably for $60 again...... These DVD/CD players are becoming comodities. Why pay big bucks for fancy names with perceived value?

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Cambridge Audio Azur 540C CD Player is the best buy

F1
    You may consider newer JVC, like this:

XV-N312S
    Manufacturer's suggested retail price: $149.95
    Plays DVD Video, DVD-R, DVD-RW (Video Format), CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD, MP3, JPEG and MPEG-4 (Simple Profile) formats
    Digital Direct Progressive Scan Output
    High-bit/high-sampling (10-bit/54MHz) video D/A converter
    Express Play Start- The first scene of the movie appears on screen in under 4 seconds when playing single-layer discs.
    Component Video, Composite Video, and S-Video terminals
    192kHz/ 24-bit Audio D/A converter

Not sure how fast it loads and cues a CD though.

nightflier

Philips?

audioadvisor.com is selling a Philips DVD795SA 5-disk CD/DVD/SACD changer with 5.1 out for $150. It's on clearance because it was a demo unit but they also sell it new for $300. It's probably the best deal out there for and SACD changer.

Thread Information