Forum Regular

how long a cable?

Wondering how long a cable I need for an Audio Note AN/J in a 12 foot wide room.

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    Wondering how long a cable I need for an Audio Note AN/J in a 12 foot wide room.

Um, about 12ft? Can you be a little more specific?

JSE

Forum Regular
    hmm im not sure what you mean
    the room is 12 x 16.5 feet.
    well actually its a bedroom. I dont know what other information you would like

For heavens sake man, use your head.

You're in the best position to answer this yourself.

Actually, YOU are the ONLY one who CAN answer this.

YOU are the ONLY one who knows where the components are being located relative to each other.

YOU are the ONLY one who knows how far you are mounting the speakers from the amp.

YOU are the ONLY one who knows how you want to route the cable.

etc, etc, etc...

If it's that critical simply take some string and run it from the amp to the speakers. Cut it and measure it. Violia! There's your answer!

Forum Regular
    taken into account that the speakers are made to be by the wall
    although im not sure how close to the wall, or even if close to the wall is the best way.
    that's why im asking.

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    taken into account that the speakers are made to be by the wall
    although im not sure how close to the wall, or even if close to the wall is the best way.
    that's why im asking.
    What? Dude, your kidding right? You asked how long a cable you need, not where should I place my speakers. Put the speakers where they sound best and measure!

One of these might help.

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...018359-33-725L

This has got to be a gag, right?

JSE

RGA
    Forum Regular
    It's not a gag - some speakers work best close to walls or in corners - Audio Note is such a speaker. And if you're paying for a relatively expensive speaker cable you don't want to pay for more than you absolutely need.

Now, if your speakers are going into the corners of the 12 foot wall - presumably they are - and your equipment - read amplifier - will be in the center of the two spekers then you might get away with 8 feet. You may need the extra because they are standmounts - if you don't want the cable showing and run it up the back of the stand then this is obviously not a direct route and will take up a bit more.

Now on the other hand - you won't always be living in your bedroom - so if the cable is too short now - what if in 3 years you're speakers need to go in a 15 foot apart corners?

Also remember that the back of the speaker is not right at the wall but a good foot in from both side walls - making the speaker 5 feet away from the amp.

I bought two 10 foot runs to be sure - this is more than enough. If you're paying $75.00 a foot each run or something then you don't want to overpay. I get good results with the Ultralink Cable and Linn Connectors Soundhounds soldered on. I could probably get away with 9 feet - but I have two shelving units in the center which has my amp closer to the left speaker.

I would do the string suggestion mentioned. 9 feet each run is gooed enough - if you're buying an affordable wire - I would go with 15 feet per side - so you don't need new ones when you get a bigger room..

RGA
    Forum Regular

So have you decided on the J's? I would not spend big money on the cables - put that money off to the side for a high quality amplifier/cd player. There are plenty of good inexpensive cables - some would argue Zip cord is enough - but even if you want a 'real' audiophile approved cable they can be had for a smidge more than zip cord anyway. http://hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=407 http://hifichoice.co.uk/review_list....PKR&sort=PRICE

Forum Regular
    my apologies, the question was not asked correctly.
    On the other hand, I could actually change it around and have the speakers on the 16foot wall instead, but spacewise, it fits better along the 12.
    The real reason I ask is because I hate excess wire floating around, even if its coiled. Much rather prefer short connections, the distance is short.

Thread Information